• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Closure |OT| Light, Puzzle, Action

FINALBOSS

Banned
Mother fucker! I'm 100% stuck on World 2 - Door 9. Seriously...impossible. If anyone is there or has done it, it's the one where you're at a slant and need to light up 5 flowers to power the door to exit.

I seriously can't beat it and I've pretty much blown through all of the game until now.

kassatsu

Banned
Mother fucker! I'm 100% stuck on World 2 - Door 9. Seriously...impossible. If anyone is there or has done it, it's the one where you're at a slant and need to light up 5 flowers to power the door to exit.

I seriously can't beat it and I've pretty much blown through all of the game until now.

Lemme look at it in a bit. Podcasting

Unless the ign reviewer was lying in his opening sentence, hr was playing on a debug. Promo codes only started working after the game was released on the store. He also played like half the puzzles it seems.

Why did promo codes only start working after release? That seems a half assed way of doing things. You'd think given the lack of good indie games on PSN they'd make an effort to get it right. Kind of a shame to see all the praise for the game by other indie devs while on the review sites the game might as well not exist.

I love the little animation of him raising his arms in disgust after failing.

i6VaWT1j8SHcf.gif

OH GOD WHYYYYYY

Chris R

What is the estimated game length? I enjoyed what I played of the demo (only up to the doors leading to the different zones I'm guessing) but if the game is short I think I'll have to pass for now.

ihWynMzjvni0B.jpg

Holy shit, Invader Zim creator pimping it! Who's next, Tim Burton?!

What is the estimated game length? I enjoyed what I played of the demo (only up to the doors leading to the different zones I'm guessing) but if the game is short I think I'll have to pass for now.

From Tyler Glaiel himself:
i4YpNTvfYpYv6.jpg

kassatsu

Banned
Took me 8hrs. There are close to 100 levels.

kassatsu

Banned
Cool, going to buy it tonight. Is the full version a separate download? I noticed the game icon said trial so I'm guessing the purchase isn't just a key to unlock the full game.

If you downloaded something that was like 300mb then yea, you just need the unlock key.

--

Joystiq - 4/5

GeoramA

I'm neglecting this game even though I don't want to. It's awesome, but I'm too consumed in Mass Effect 3 multiplayer and my insanity run :/

Ridley327

Aaaaaaaaand done. 100% and I don't regret a single second of it. It's a very, very different game than the original Flash version, and it's all the better for it, IMO. I really liked how they implemented the storytelling without uttering a single word. The puzzles were great throughout and it's worth the effort to go for 100%.

FINALBOSS

Banned
Just finished it too.

Absolutely amazing.

LOVED it.

Some of the puzzles took me quite a while to beat. You really have to think outside the box with using the lightsources and jumping on things you wouldn't normally think to jump on.

10/10 baby

Huff

Banned
Just started playing and I'm really enjoying it. Been stuck on world 1 - 12 for a bit now. going to take a break and come back to it

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Finished the factory world, and half of 2nd world. Really good stuff, I like the ambiance of 2nd world more than the factory too. Love how all the artwork looks like it's made with ink, like a good, detailed comic book. Puzzles are quality stuff, many of them make you feel good when you figure them out, and solutions seem very fluid and creative. Hate that the very first trophy name spoils what the last world is, but I kind of got the direction the game was heading, before I saw it anyway.

Generally, I really love the game, but I'm curious if the underlying story will become any clearer as I go through it? Completing the factory world really told me nothing. Well, almost nothing. There were scenes that showed some kind of
mass robot malfunctioning/rebellion took place there, then I escaped against some pillars set on fire, into an elaborate looking helicopter... 2nd world so far has not had any such exposition, except that there was a car crashed into a tree at the beginning, and there seemed to be two unfinished cars in one of the last levels in the factory. Factory that otherwise didn't seem like it was making cars at all, and looked more like a coal mine processing plant really, with all those mine-carts around.
Am I getting somewhere with this? Will there be more expositions that will make any of this more clear?

Ridley327

Finished the factory world levels, and half of 2nd world levels. Really good stuff, I like the ambiance of 2nd world more than the factory too. Love how all the artwork looks like it's made with ink, like a quality, detail comic book.

Generally, I really love the game, but I'm curious if the underlying story will become any clearer as I go through it? Completing the factory levels really told me nothing. Well, almost nothing. There were scenes that showed some kind of
mass robot malfunctioning/rebellion took place there, then I escaped against some pillars set on fire, into an elaborate looking helicopter... 2nd world so far has not had any such exposition, except that there was a car crashed into a tree at the beginning, and there seemed to be two unfinished cars in one of the last levels in the factory. Factory that otherwise didn't seem like it was making cars at all, and looked more like a coal mine processing plant really, with all those mine-carts around.
Am I getting somewhere with this? Will there be more expositions that will make any of this more clear?

There really isn't an overlapping story. The worlds themselves present themselves as standalone stories that the demon is experiencing for himself, as you'll find out.

A couple more reviews up:

Game Trailers

Closure's grip of levels aren't so devious that you won't exhaust them in a few play sessions, but there are more than enough secrets for those willing to repeatedly wade into the shadows. Puzzle aficionados who like their "eureka" moments mixed with a splash of action will devour this shadowy gem.

http://www.gametrailers.com/gamereview.php?id=12003

Destructoid

Closure's faults can't prevent it from, at times, reaching some of the greatest heights in the puzzle-platforming genre. Once you get to the final ten stages, you are in pure puzzle-platforming bliss. Or hell. I suppose, bliss, then hell, then bliss again.

http://www.destructoid.com/review-closure-224982.phtml

Really hope this game gets a bit more love. Been playing it on and off the past few days and it's really well done.

rCIZZLE

Probably getting this later today. Looks like a good version of Echochrome. It's kind of funny how I swore I wouldn't buy another retail game until I started clearing my backlog... but have been buying games off PSN like a madman.

GeoramA

Finally came back to this and beat the all factory levels. Doing the forest levels as the girl now.

This is the perfect type of game you can put off for a week then come back to it.

Misguided

Banned
Is there any reason to
get the moths
? I heard that
there is an extra world
so I wasn't sure if these things were related.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Is there any reason to
get the moths
? I heard that
there is an extra world
so I wasn't sure if these things were related.
Sounds like you get a more complete ending when you collect them all. From the Destructiod's review:

Furthermore, I take issue with the fact that you only get a lame, inconclusive ending without collecting them all.
I'm on the 3rd world now, and they grow more devious and ever so better looking, but I'm not sure if I like the sound of that :\

Closure coming to PC/Mac.

g39gD.jpg

Not a port.

HuCPV.jpg

On the myth of game developers being on drugs for creative ideas:

Zt3k8.jpg

programming jokes lol

So instead of waiting for European PSN, I'll gladly get the PC version + dev commentary (text).

Goldrusher

US: March 27
EU: ...

4 months and counting. I'm pretty sure one of the developers has offended someone important at SCEE.

Closure is heading to Steam September 7th for $10.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CoQmu1Y5qGY&feature=player_embedded
Was all ready to grab this on PSN but it STILL hasn't hit the EU store, which is a bloody joke considering the game was release March, then again...

DEV QUOTE Tyler Glaiel: The PS3 EU version is missing because it was taking far too long to get the details for that worked out, and we decided we should focus on the PC launch instead since that will be global. It still may come out on the EU PSN eventually.

Yay, playing it right now. Certainly is the most challenging puzzler for me this year.

Maybe because it's a much clearer resolution I can see it, but the hand-drawn animations (like when you're the dome man opening the door) look exquisite.

When you're underwater, and the music gets drowned out, it's really creepy. And this monster creeped me out when going down.
L1gnh.jpg

Double Post.

FUCK Level 14!

No matter if you get it, still hard to be above the light orb as it goes up.

Now at level 20. I love when you figure out a solution in a twitchy, physic-y puzzler that you don't think was meant to happen.

FYC

Banned
Excellent game with a fantastic soundtrack, dark atmosphere and superb puzzles. Just finished the regular game in about 8 hours with only a few moths. Didn't use a guide once, woo!

I might go back and get the other moths, though I wish I remembered which rooms they were in. Urgh. Also want to see the 'true' ending very badly.

Top Bottom