• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Club Nintendo discontinued worldwide, new program to follow

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Hopefully they have enough supply of whatever they're offering in February, because everybody and their dog will be spending all of their leftover coins/stars.

dose

I've got a ZombiU EU/UK code if anyone is interested in swapping it for a different game code I haven't got. Thanks :)

JP

I always have loads of points on my UK account, seem to wait for good stuff before I end up buying stuff just to sell on eBay so I suppose it was free money in a way. Really hope that they do something far better where you get games like in the US or points that you can save up for discounts on eShop games.

They really have to link the 3DS and Wii U Nintendo IDs with friends lists and stuff like that. That's a really big thing for me so I hope it happens soon.

Hmm... Seems the news has gotten around fast, NA club nintendo site is being hammered. Can't even log in to check my current coins.

I imagine since all 3 seperate programs are being closed down at once that Nintendo is at least going to be unifying their reward system across regions... Would be nice if whatever is available isn't vastly superior in region X versus region Y.

(edit) Also... Super Metroid for Wii, but not Wii U? Good thing I already got it when it was like 30 cents...

I haven't been able to log into the EU site either. :/

Derpyduck

Banned
I'm hoping that the "new program" is "lol we finally figured out an actual worldwide account system"

This is the only answer that makes sense, which means they won't do it.

But seriously, with the successor to the 3DS probably about to be announced, you'd hope they'd finally join us in 2006 and give us a real account system. This is the first sign that it might finally be happening.

I have 1100 coins on my account and no Nintendo device to spend those coins on. So I hope they add some cool swag that I can give as gifts.

Somnid

Sounds encouraging. I'm willing to bet the upkeep on different regional websites and accounts couldn't facilitate their new goals and now that CN has been a thing for a while in many regions it makes much more sense to merge them into a more universal program.

I'm guessing the new thing will be linked with NNIDs and maybe even pick up where DDP left off. Since Iwata has said he wants to build more rewards for invested customers I'm looking forward to what they do with this.

Micken

Banned
QUESTION:

If I download a game from the eShop now, but that game was released before today, will I get points? Or is it too late to get points from the eShop?

Sounds encouraging. I'm willing to bet the upkeep on different regional websites and accounts couldn't facilitate their new goals and now that CN has been a thing for a while in many regions it makes much more sense to merge them into a more universal program.

I'm guessing the new thing will be linked with NNIDs and maybe even pick up where DDP left off. Since Iwata has said he wants to build more rewards for invested customers I'm looking forward to what they do with this.

I'm hoping whatever system they come up with though includes physical releases... Before this gen started I was all set for the digital future, but then Best Buy's GCU happened <_< Now I love physical and still want to get my rewards that way.

ohlawd

lol I have so many codes to register now. always been stockpiling them year over year every time I hit the 600 mark.

Well then...just got a bunch of games w/Club Nintendo codes over the last few months (Smash 3DS, Bravely Default, Luigi's Mansion 2, Wonderful 101, Ninja Gaiden 3 RE, Zelda: ALBW) so I guess I gotta register them and get my prizes.

Hopefully the next program is even better.

heyf00L

Hopefully they have enough supply of whatever they're offering in February, because everybody and their dog will be spending all of their leftover coins/stars.

HHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAH.

Are you kidding? Of course they won't. This is Nintendo we're talking about.

Well, I can't say that I am that surprised, but I am a bit disappointed.

Hopefully the new program is awesome. Probably going to be tied directly to our NNIDs.

I've a question. I'm based in the UK but have NTSC-U systems. My NNID is set to a state that pays no taxes (Oregon, maybe) so my eShop purchases are the lowest price possible. If I want to use my Club Nintendo coins to buy a few physical items (eg the game cases), and send them to my friend in California so he can ship them to me in England, will it cause issues/alarm bells at Nintendo, or does it not matter where you send them to?

Thanks.

Bamboo Boy

Neo Member
I have a lot of codes to register but I guess I'll wait to register them for now... the Club Nintendo page is really full of traffic. I'va been trying to register my codes and filling up surveys just for being redirected to the "Whoops" page at the final step.

this is Nintendo we're talking about.

edit: haha, literally the same thing as heyf00L a few posts up. its true though. you better be there day one, hour one that those prizes hit. the site will be down all day. its gonna be a goddamn mess.

ys45

I wonder if we will get better rewards for NA .
Because I stopped registering my games, rewards were just not interesting for me .

Compared to what Japan was getting it was ridiculous .

Members with Elite Status will be able to choose a downloadable game for 3DS or WII U from the same catalog regardless of their status? (Gold/Platinum)

MrNineties

Ugghh, I've got over 1600 points. They better offer a Statue or something of value. Don't really want multiple orders of a poster set....

Garou

I wish they'd temporarily make Eshop currency available so I would have something to spend my points on. I don't really want to spend my stars on random useless items.

I'd be happy if they just add an option to exchange EU stars for eShop credit. Like 1000 stars = 10 euro. Plz.

Meanwhile in Japan they added this, available for everyone who registered before today.

iRXHDUj.png

I have so many coins that will probably never be spent. Well, now I can say I got platinum status every possible year in NA club nintendo lol

Reminds me of when they killed Nsider. ;__;
I miss the Loudhouse.

Anyway, kinda glad they're purging the database. Will be nice to be able to log in to a website that doesn't take 5 minutes to load! Excited for whatever's next, this has always been icing on the cake and I'm not one to look a gift horse in the mouth. An account system that isn't tied to hardware with cross-buy and maybe some sort of discounts would be cool, or even a subscription-based VC service would be a dream. Whatever it is I got a lot of great stuff from CN for very little effort; they never had to do a thing (and most other companies don't).
Meanwhile in Japan they added this, available for everyone who registered before today.

iRXHDUj.png
Am I reading that right? For 800 points you get ~$35 worth of eShop credit? That's amazing, why the heck did I redeem Picross last week! D'oh!

FaintDeftone

Members with Elite Status will be able to choose a downloadable game for 3DS or WII U from the same catalog regardless of their status? (Gold/Platinum)

It may be like last year where they break it into tiers and gold members get lower priced/older games than platinum members, but who knows.

Going out with a bang? I had around 4K stars in the EU Club Nintendo right now. I think I can bump it up a bit depending when they announce what they have to give.

Please please please be a combination of the (expired) Wii U DDP promotion across all of their platforms with Club Nintendo registration. That would be spectacular, even if it meant there were less/no physical rewards besides the big end of the year ones.

-Horizon-

Hope they put up Wind Waker HD as a platinum reward or something. I mean they put up DKCR3D last year. There's a chance!

How so? Like a giveaway? I could do that at some point I guess. I currently have over 2700 coins lol. And that's considering a bunch have expired in the past

Oh lawd.

Top Bottom