• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Club Nintendo discontinued worldwide, new program to follow

Juraash

Kinda sad to see it go. Sure we didn't get rewards ad cool as Japan, and stuff that was neat vanished in seconds, but I liked the little Nintendo things I was able to collect over the years.

While the possible discount program would be cool, it's just not as neat. I've got 3-4 codes from Christmas that I'll register and that will probably be nearly the end of it. I hope whatever goodies they add to clear out coins stay in stock long enough for me to pick something cool.

The new program is either going to be really good or very bad. I don't expect a middle ground.

I'm expecting just a point system similar to digital deluxe that works automatically built into the eshop. Maybe if you earn enough points over the course of a year you get a special reward or something.

Either way I just hope the new system doesn't involve surveys.

BasilZero

Will the games I download still be registered with Club Nintendo?

Club Nintendo-eligible games that you download will continue to be registered to your account automatically until March 31, 2015 if your Nintendo eShop account is linked to your Club Nintendo account. After that date, games will no longer be registered with Club Nintendo. To find out which games you can register, please see Eligible Products. Click here to learn how to link your Nintendo eShop account to your Club Nintendo account.

Sorry..I'm probably not thinking straight from reading this but.....does this mean any game we got through Club Nintendo like DKCR3D for 3DS last year platinum...if we delete the game we wont be able to download it again or what?

Cbajd5

Sorry..I'm probably not thinking straight from reading this but.....does this mean any game we got through Club Nintendo like DKCR3D for 3DS last year platinum...if we delete the game we wont be able to download it again or what?

No, if you download a game after that date it won't be listed on Club Nintendo and you won't get coins for it. Redeemed games like DKCR3D are tied to your NNID (or eShop account if you're not using a NNID on your 3DS) and can be re-downloaded at any time.

No, it's saying that until that date, any eShop games that you buy that are Club Nintendo eligible (most of them, honestly) will still reward you with points.

Not sad to see it go. I've had tens of thousands of stars go to waste with physical stuff just not ever arriving and NoE refusing to help me. They should just have a permanent rebate on the eShop like with the premium Wii U up until last month.

Lunar15

I'm hoping that the "new program" is "lol we finally figured out an actual worldwide account system"

This, and I thought I read something about a discount program.

I'd much rather have discounts on games I want to buy than getting free games I have no interest in.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
I guess we'll probably hear more about the new plans during the investor meeting at the end of this month.

BasilZero

No, if you download a game after that date it won't be listed on Club Nintendo and you won't get coins for it. Redeemed games like DKCR3D are tied to your NNID (or eShop account if you're not using a NNID) and can be re-downloaded at any time.

No, it's saying that until that date, any eShop games that you buy that are Club Nintendo eligible (most of them, honestly) will still reward you with points.

Thanks! I was starting to worry n_n.

Calamari41

41 > 38
Very thankful that I took the plunge and spent all of my coins on that Luigi's Mansion figurine/diorama thing a couple of years back. I am just now back into Platinum standing, so I should be able to clean up a bit when they add in whatever they're going to add in right before the end.

domlolz

Banned
I've not really used my club nintendo points since the wii where you could trade them for eshop points, i miss that.

FLIPNOTE 3DS THOUGH!!!!!!!!!!! FUCK YEAHHH

heyf00L

Yeah, they gave up on the program a while ago. The gold/platinum rewards got so bad I didn't even try for one last year. I don't think I've redeemed coins in nearly a year.

Wanderer5

Aw and I was aiming to possibly get plat this year, but not going to happen unless I get like five past Wii U games, which no lol. Oh well guess gold will do.

From what I understand you won't be able to register old stuff on the new program; however it's a little unclear.

It's very clear, the codes will not work on the new program. It's completely different from the discontinued Club Nintendo (they make it clear in the FAQ that codes beyond X date ((depending on region)) will no longer work).

(edit) Reading the press release, hoping for one last really good club Nintendo reward with the final plat seems unlikely since they say quite clearly that the reward will be a digital game only.

I'm 10 points away from Gold, I guess I'll just get that and be thankful.

akileese

I just fucking registered for CN Japan YESTERDAY. This is irritating to me. Ah well. I still need to register my Persona Q XL so I'll have some more at least.

LAM09

Surprising news, but I'm intrigued to see what they will have in place.

I'll have to use all my points as soon as.

VariantX

Find this a bit irritating since I havent spent any coins for months simply because they haven't offered anything worthwhile or something I didn't already own in ages, whatever they decide to do in feb-march is what I'll be getting I supposed. Least I got link's awakening out of it.

Taichu

Argh, I'm 220 coins away from Platinum. I would have gotten there this year if it had just continued normally.

I'm kinda sad Club Nintendo is going away. I really liked their Platinum rewards over the years. Got a neat plush Mario hat, some 8-bit Mario pins, a deck of cards, and a neat poster set of Pikmin, Wind Waker, and Luigi. The physical rewards were pretty good too, namely getting a yellow charging cradle for my Pikachu 3DS XL, 18-card carrying case, Pikmin tote bag, and reversible DS pouch. I didn't even mind the digital downloads... got NES Remix which I really enjoyed, as well as Super Mario Bros 2 and Super Mario World on the Wii U.

Aesnath

I'm really sad about this--no matter how you slice it, club Nintendo was free stuff for games I was going to buy anyway.

They should have cut the gold / platinum status coin requirement in half since they've essentially cut the registration year in half.

Hmm... Seems the news has gotten around fast, NA club nintendo site is being hammered. Can't even log in to check my current coins.

I imagine since all 3 seperate programs are being closed down at once that Nintendo is at least going to be unifying their reward system across regions... Would be nice if whatever is available isn't vastly superior in region X versus region Y.

(edit) Also... Super Metroid for Wii, but not Wii U? Good thing I already got it when it was like 30 cents...

Top Bottom