• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CNN: Nikki Haley picked as UN ambassador according to sources

Status
Not open for further replies.

mid83

Hexa

Hmm... I wonder what role Gabbard will have if she has a role at all. I was hoping she'd get something.

Downhome

I'm okay with this. Hopefully this sways Romney to accept if he gets offered SecState

Oh it's the spot he has wanted since his last failed Presidential bid. The question isn't if he accepts it, but if President-elect Trump officially offers it to him or not. I think it will happen.

Steejee

Pretty awful that the least bad pick so far is someone who has zero experience. She gets a little credit for pushing back against Trump months ago in her SOTU addresses response (which the GOP always manages to look stupid in), but I don't expect her to be all that effective.

RDreamer

ZTp7y1h.jpg

Yes it's real, by the way

Henry McMaster, the man being elevated to the SC governorship, was a staunch supporter of Trump. Probably totally a coincidence, though.

Henry McMaster, the man being elevated to the SC governorship, was a staunch supporter of Trump. Probably totally a coincidence, though.

Was just about to post this, but think it's just fortunate circumstance more than anything else. UN ambassador is far from the rest of the administration ( I think anyone considering a job would cite "closeness to Trump" as a key long-term career concern) and it's a legit good job.

Was just about to post this, but think it's just fortunate circumstance more than anything else. UN ambassador is far from the rest of the administration ( I think anyone considering a job would cite "closeness to Trump" as a key long-term career concern) and it's a legit good job.

But how much do Republicans in general, and Trump in particular hate the UN? This looks like the Trump version of a diversity hire, while they may also see it as the equivalent of exiling her to Siberia.

Juice

How is this an upgrade? Never heard of a sitting governor stepping down for an appointment this unprestigious. Particularly a GOP appointment, the party that would dismantle the UN if it could.

Calamari41

41 > 38
Oh it's the spot he has wanted since his last failed Presidential bid. The question isn't if he accepts it, but if President-elect Trump officially offers it to him or not. I think it will happen.

Its such a no brainer, really. Romney at State would act to calm the electorate, he would do a professional job, and it would be a good move for The Trump Brand (tm) by showing that he doesn't hold grudges.

So of course he'll probably pick someone we've never heard of who has never left their state before.

Wilsongt

How is this an upgrade? Never heard of a sitting governor stepping down for an appointment this unprestigious. Particularly a GOP appointment, the party that would dismantle the UN if it could.

She herself is not nearly as crazy as his other picks.

This is more of a disaster for SC than it is for her being in the UN.

Plus, I am sure Trump went "Well, she looks foreign so she can deal with all of the other foreigners"

Calamari41

41 > 38

UN Ambassador is a very good foreign policy checkmark on a resume if you're seeking national office. It is a respected position that doesn't really require you to be making huge decisions that could become controversial like Secretary of State (yellowcake, Libya, Kissinger's entire biography, etc) while still allowing you to say you're someone who can work with the rest of the world. On the debate stage, you can look at a former Secretary of State and say "hey, you fucked this shit up and caused this war and that famine," but you can't really dress down a UN Ambassador in the same way. Unless they're a Bolton type who goes on rampages, which I don't believe Haley to be. Meanwhile, on that same debate stage, a UN Ambassador is equipped to make an opponent without much foreign policy experience look foolish by referring to foreign leaders by first names and nicknames and having the public believe that those relationships exist (i.e. what Biden did to Paul Ryan).

That said, it could also be a lead-in to the Secretary of State job in a second Trump term, or a future president's term.

She's... alright. He could've picked someone worse, but yeah... If anything it means we get to elect a new governor which would be pretty sweet.

If she accepts, its Trump playing the long game and the same thing with Nikki Haley. This is her lead up to a 2020 presidential run. This will be her foreign policy experience and then it can't be used as a hammer to hit her over the head in 2020.

Romney as Sec of State will keep thing civil and Haley will be a position to get experience without being right in the firing line like Romney.

I'm calling it now. If she takes it, Romney get Sec of State and she is setting up her run in 2020.

UN Ambassador is a very good foreign policy checkmark on a resume if you're seeking national office. It is a respected position that doesn't really require you to be making huge decisions that could become controversial like Secretary of State (yellowcake, Libya, Kissinger's entire biography, etc) while still allowing you to say you're someone who can work with the rest of the world. On the debate stage, you can look at a former Secretary of State and say "hey, you fucked this shit up and caused this war and that famine," but you can't really dress down a UN Ambassador in the same way. Unless they're a Bolton type who goes on rampages, which I don't believe Haley to be. Meanwhile, on that same debate stage, a UN Ambassador is equipped to make an opponent without much foreign policy experience look foolish by referring to foreign leaders by first names and nicknames and having the public believe that those relationships exist (i.e. what Biden did to Paul Ryan).

That said, it could also be a lead-in to the Secretary of State job in a second Trump term, or a future president's term.

Just saw this post. We are on the exact same page.

I love how people are complaining about her having no foreign policy experience, when this is obviously a way to get it with minimal risk.

Calamari41

41 > 38
Just saw this post. We are on the exact same page.

I love how people are complaining about her having no foreign policy experience, when this is obviously a way to get it with minimal risk.

Yup. An establishment Republican female minority former Governor running for President who can casually and believably refer to world leaders on a first name basis would be a force to be reckoned with, in my opinion.

Though I would predict it for 2024. I don't see Trump stepping down after one term and not running for re-election, and I also don't see a member of his own administration primarying him.

kess

Expecting 2020 to be an experience election for the Republican primaries is pretty funny.

Haley is probably smart enough, but she seems lightweight compared to a guy like Lavrov,

Yup. An establishment Republican female minority former Governor running for President who can casually and believably refer to world leaders on a first name basis would be a force to be reckoned with, in my opinion.

Though I would predict it for 2024. I don't see Trump stepping down after one term and not running for re-election, and I also don't see a member of his own administration primarying him.

Yup.

I don't see him running again. He wants to go back to his old lifestyle. He has already got his name in the record books. He will be in his mid-70s then.

Justin

I actually have followed what Powers has been doing the last few years and she has done an amazing job. Going to miss her getting into fights with Lavrov and the Russian delegation at the security meetings.

With zero foreign policy experience

I don't get it

Yeah, this is how you get foreign policy experience. People aren't just born with it. Just doing this, in a position where you aren't on the firing line like Sec of State is the ideal way to get FP experience.

Did Obama have FP experience? Did Bill Clinton? Did Trump?

The biggest hit against governors as President is always a lack of FP experience. This is a way around that.

Some of you are getting lost in the short game and missing the long game with this appointment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom