• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Coca-Cola Advertises the PSP in Theaters

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Mike Works said:
surprised.jpg

:lol

GaimeGuy

No one knows. Sony CLAIMS before the end of the year in japan, but they've yet to announce a release date, prices for the games, Full launch details, battery life, or system price.

GaimeGuy said:
Haven't you heard? Anything nintendo does is gimmicky. Pokemon is gimmicky. Cel Shading is gimmicky. Fludd is gimmicky. Realistic Zelda is gimmicky. Paper Mario is gimmicky. the DS is gimmicky. Shigeru Miyamoto is gimmicky.

Sega did Cell shading ..long before nintendo. I don't think people said Zelda wind waker's art style was a gimmicky. They just didn't like the art style.

GaimeGuy

sonic4ever said:
Sega did Cell shading ..long before nintendo. I don't think people said Zelda wind waker's art style was a gimmicky. They just didn't like the art style.

I know that. But because Nintendo did it, it's gimmicky. :p

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
BuddyChrist83 said:
I even asked you guys nicely.
Thanks for trying, BC.

It's an interesting way to start the public marketing campaign for the PSP. It'd be nice if it could construed as a firm commitment to a hardware launch no later than March 05 as they've said, but I think the earlier press release about this contest contained language to effect that winners of PSPs would receive them when they were available, nothing more precise than that.

What's the last day of this contest anyway?

jarrod

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
No but do you really realise how popular Sony is? They've dominated Nintendo 2 generations in a row. Not any "barely leading" crap, absolutely dominated. Their marketing department is the best the industry has ever seen. The amount of hype Sony is able to generate for products is something Sega could never even dream of accomplishing (even back when they were popular).

Was the GG in a good position? Yah sure, Sega at one time had a pretty decent image. But is it in a better position than the PSP? In no f'cking way is it.
Well, you also have to consider that GBA is in a much better position today than GB was in the early 1990s. The handheld market was much more wide open then, GB wasn't nearly the handheld standard it is today... PSP will pretty much have to do everything much better than Game Gear did to get half as far in today's handheld market.

sonic4ever said:
The difference..PSP will have better 3rd party support then the Game Gear. Sega had 3rd Party support for the Genesis but that didn't crossover for the Game Gear. Sony has carried over thier 3rd Party support from the Playstaion brand. So this time Nintendo should expect a real fight.
Actually GameGear managed fairly impressive 3rd party support, especially from the west. Electronic Arts, Taito, Acclaim, Namco, US Gold, Takara, Banpresto, Genki, Tradewest, Codemasters, Core Design, Virgin, Domark, Bandai, Atlus, THQ, SunSoft, Activision, Viacom, PlayMates, MicroProse, Absolute, Renovation, Mindscape, Sony Imagesoft, GameTek, Tengen, Tecmo, Vic Tokai, Data East, Game Arts, NCS, Compile...

lexi

Banned
kpop100 said:
Leviathan = idiot

Betamax was technically superior to VHS, more expensive, and made by Sony.
The PSP is technically superior to NDS, more expensive, and made by Sony.

He actually has a valid point, but it's fanboy speculation at this point.

Brofist

lockii said:

That's not a good analogy though because in the home video market, it's been pretty much proven the market only supports 1 major format at one time. The handheld gaming market on the other hand is almost begging for a competant competing system.

AniHawk

kpop100 said:
That's not a good analogy though because in the home video market, it's been pretty much proven the market only supports 1 major format at one time. The handheld gaming market on the other hand is almost begging for a competant competing system.

And everyone's still waiting.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
maxim is giving away a DS.

. so.. kinda similar.

kpop100 said:

eh? as far as history goes.. you're wrong.

jarrod

Banned
kpop100 said:
Yeah mean besides every other cellphone? Handheld gaming isn't exactly a GBA only market, there's actually more alternatives than home gaming...

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
lockii said:

You are stretching the definition of what constitutes a valid point:I do not think it will be sound.

I do not think that in the CE market the PSP will fail as bad as Betamax did (which btw, did better in the hands of the professional market), instead I think that it has the capability of carving a nice space for itself: the handheld market can grow.

lexi

Banned
Panajev2001a said:
You are stretching the definition of what constitutes a valid point:I do not think it will be sound.

I do not think that in the CE market the PSP will fail as bad as Betamax did (which btw, did better in the hands of the professional market), instead I think that it has the capability of carving a nice space for itself: the handheld market can grow.

I must have missed the part where I declared the DS the outright winner, I did state that he had a valid point, but that at this stage, it was fanboy speculation.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
lockii said:
I must have missed the part where I declared the DS the outright winner, I did state that he had a valid point, but that at this stage, it was fanboy speculation.

What is the valid point ? That was my "point".

He states two known facts about price and technologica superiority: that is all he does.

He implies that the conclusion shown in the VHS vs Betamax war applies to the DS vs PSP war because the two premises he presents appear to be similar enough.

IMHO, this is hardly a real argument.

JoDark

MS Viral Marketing
You know what? I kind of enjoyed my Game Gear, really enjoyed my Turbo Express, and LOVED (still play sometimes), my Nomad.

They ALL had battery life at or below 2 hours, with 4-6AA batteries.

All the while, I have enjoyed the GB/GBA/SP. I have over 250 games for them in fact.

And I will buy a PSP on the day it ships. As of now; unless I see a game I really need, I won't buy the DS on launch day. When Advance Wars ships, that day I will have to have it. For Mario 64 on a d-pad, Animal Crossing, and a Warioware wanna be; sorry, that money is earmarked for the PILES of great console games this fall.

Nintendo needs to get their shit together NOW. NOW FRICKING GOD DAMN IT, ARE YOU LISTENING IWATA-CUN?????

The PSP is DAMN cool, think Ipod with even more style. Add in wireless online, and a few big name games, like, I don't know, GT4, a version of GTA, maybe a REAL FF (not a 1 and 2 upgrade...)

I love Nintendo, I will always support them, but they are really risking mass market obscurity more and more these days.

GaimeGuy

JoDark said:
You know what? I kind of enjoyed my Game Gear, really enjoyed my Turbo Express, and LOVED (still play sometimes), my Nomad.

They ALL had battery life at or below 2 hours, with 4-6AA batteries.

All the while, I have enjoyed the GB/GBA/SP. I have over 250 games for them in fact.

And I will buy a PSP on the day it ships. As of now; unless I see a game I really need, I won't buy the DS on launch day. When Advance Wars ships, that day I will have to have it. For Mario 64 on a d-pad, Animal Crossing, and a Warioware wanna be; sorry, that money is earmarked for the PILES of great console games this fall.

Nintendo needs to get their shit together NOW. NOW FRICKING GOD DAMN IT, ARE YOU LISTENING IWATA-CUN?????

The PSP is DAMN cool, think Ipod with even more style. Add in wireless online, and a few big name games, like, I don't know, GT4, a version of GTA, maybe a REAL FF (not a 1 and 2 upgrade...)

I love Nintendo, I will always support them, but they are really risking mass market obscurity more and more these days.

Warioware wanna be? Mario 64 on a d-pad? Have you actually PLAYED the games, my friend?

... and It's "kun," not "cun." Besides, you shouldn't be using "kun" with Iwata. He's not an acquaintance of yours, is he? Nor is he younger than you. "san" is what you should be using, in all likelihood.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
GaimeGuy said:
... and It's "kun," not "cun." Besides, you shouldn't be using "kun" with Iwata. He's not an acquaintance of yours, is he? Nor is he younger than you. "san" is what you should be using, in all likelihood.
Or just using neither and not looking like a fool.

Anyway, I'll buy a DS and I'll buy a PSP when there are games that interest me. If the PSP has a 2 hour battery life, I'll wait until the price drops. If the DS makes me incontinent, I'll wait for a price drop. Either way, both are seemingly waiting until the last second (though some of those DS launch titles excite me a lot) to let you know anything. I'm taking a wait and see approach.

Top Bottom