• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CoD Black Ops |OT| Always Bet On Black

.nimrod

X26 said:
Yep, when I play TDM it's merc 100% of the time. I have no idea why people not in a party play regular tdm
More players in a playlist mean less lag for me most of the time :/

aku:jiki said:
We read the situation and determined that we could basically win at will, and we did win, so we had the option to either win immediately, or lock them down and score more XP and kills. Why would we ever pick the first option?[...]
Right, why would you ever play a game on anything but the easiest difficulty?

X26

Banned
We read the situation and determined that we could basically win at will, and we did win, so we had the option to either win immediately, or lock them down and score more XP and kills. Why would we ever pick the first option?.

Because having fun at the expense of others by making them needlessly misserable makes you an asshole, perhaps?

Chavelo

zam said:
We were also lucky that we finally stopped the randoms on our team from turbo-planting the bombs and ending the match in 2 minutes, as I got 83 kills the match before, but it only went 2 rounds, the second one we managed to stretch it to 3 rounds.

We read the situation and determined that we could basically win at will, and we did win, so we had the option to either win immediately, or lock them down and score more XP and kills. Why would we ever pick the first option?

fry_gaf.jpg

zam said:
We were also lucky that we finally stopped the randoms on our team from turbo-planting the bombs and ending the match in 2 minutes, as I got 83 kills the match before, but it only went 2 rounds, the second one we managed to stretch it to 3 rounds.

We read the situation and determined that we could basically win at will, and we did win, so we had the option to either win immediately, or lock them down and score more XP and kills. Why would we ever pick the first option?

And people like you are why I always play Domination when going solo. :lol I don't blame you for doing what you do, but it makes it completely pointless for a random to jump into that playlist. I still don't understand why Demolition/Headquarters/Sabotage don't give massive XP or CP payouts for winning quickly. At least give some motivation for a fast plant!

Jokergrin

Does anyone have any good strategies for the "Five" zombie map? With 4 players.

I know how to do everything and get to the PaP Defcon room and all that.

But I'm not so sure where is the best place to actually make our stand. So far we've tried using the elevator or staying in the defcon room, both with mixed results.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
Stoney Mason said:
me neither. I think other people just look at whatever has the highest number and jump in that. But I also always play merc tdm if I'm playing by myself and want to play tdm.

I'm a ffa player but I actually prefer merc tdm because you dont have to keep your head on a swivel as much. Plus some times you get lucky and can get 2 or 3 kills at a time just unloading on the opposite team.

todahawk

liking the M60 after finally deciding to buy it last night. I like that its rate of movement keeps me from running around like an idiot. I did really well with it on summit and a few other maps. Nice that I didn't have to reload much, nice short bursts were bring down fools pretty quick. Got a nice quad kill with it.

greenjerk said:
liking the M60 after finally deciding to buy it last night. I like that its rate of movement keeps me from running around like an idiot. I did really well with it on summit and a few other maps. Nice that I didn't have to reload much, nice short bursts were bring down fools pretty quick. Got a nice quad kill with it.

I love the M60, although it really is a camping weapon. Great fun though. CHAKKA CHAKKA CHAKKA CHAKKA CHAKKA CHAKKA CHAKKA CHAKKA :lol :lol :lol

Effect

Do the 360/PS3/PC versions of the game have destructible environments? I don't think I've read anything on this terms of a yes or no.

Effect said:
Do the 360/PS3/PC versions of the game have destructible environments? I don't think I've read anything on this terms of a yes or no.

I think some sections in the campaign have destruction but it's not in multiplayer and its not something as dynamic or consistent as Bad Company.

cameltoe

Ive been on teams that dont plant just to rack up points....They keep yelling no one plant! Well, I dont listen.....then get blasted in the lobby. MUTE!

Nizz

Stoney Mason said:
I love merc tdm. Almost no one uses a mic so I never have to hear anybody. :D

But yeah. I wouldn't mind more merc playlists. I often like to play by myself and I don't want to play against parties.

But I can't really complain here. This is the most playlists a COD game has had I think if you factor in Wager matches.
Another Merc TDM fan here. ;) I love just jumping in with the simple mission to take out enemies. Although I really like what Treyarch have done with individual K/D ranking for the playlists.

I've actually played more Domination in Black Ops the past couple of weeks than I probably ever had in MW2. I think it was the fact your K/D was overall included in everything. I know it shouldn't matter but I always had that in the back of my mind.

Now that there are individual stats for all the modes, I don't even think twice about jumping into a match of Domination. Helps break up any boredom I might be feeling with Merc TDM.

I also like the wager matches. I feel like I don't play those modes enough. One In The Chamber and Sticks and Stones are probably my favorite of the wager matches. I usually jump into the lower pay wager matches though. I'm too cheap to bet anything higher than 10 COD points (or 20 if everyone doubles down).

purple cobra said:
I've actually played more Domination in Black Ops the past couple of weeks than I probably ever had in MW2. I think it was the fact your K/D was overall included in everything. I know it shouldn't matter but I always had that in the back of my mind.

Now that there are individual stats for all the modes, I don't even think twice about jumping into a match of Domination. Helps break up any boredom I might be feeling with Merc TDM.

My exact same feelings for precisley the same reasons.

I also love wager matches.

On a side note let's bombard Vonderhaar with polite requests on twitter to move the RC car to a 4 or a 5 kill streak. Those are starting to get annoying. Especially if you just run hardline.

Nizz

LeMaximilian said:
Video Update, 'Almost Perfect' 56-1 on Launch
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKfAwco4htU
Your videos are always fun to watch. :) Do you still play on medium sensitivity?

Stoney Mason said:

On a side note let's bombard Vonderhaar with polite requests on twitter to move the RC car to a 4 or a 5 kill streak. Those are starting to get annoying. Especially if you just run hardline.
The worst is when 2-3 guys on the opposite team all get to three kills and all you hear is "enemy RC-XD spotted, enemy RC-XD spotted, enemy RC-XD spotted" back to back. First thing I think is fuck, there's gonna be three of those pests to worry about.

Using the RC-XD doesn't even cross my mind. Personally, I don't like using them. I don't like the way they control. I always roll with Spy Plane as my 3 killstreak reward. Helps me and the team.

Stoney Mason said:

The RC-XD would fit as a 3-kill streak if it was easier to kill. But you can empty a clip into one of those suckers and never actually land a bullet; it's like the game deliberately makes the bullet spread automatically miss those suckers!

X26

Banned
Stoney Mason said:

or at the least make them easier to kill, doesn't seem like 1 bullet always does it, that and maybe make flak jacket able to survive a direct hit (ulikely)

taku

So I managed to get a perfect game with zero deaths and that one particular game doesn't save in theater mode. What the hell.
I was so proud of myself because even with the frequent huge shitty stutters I'm getting when playing, I still managed to pull off some cool stuff and yet..it didn't save. Gosh.
Fuck.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Stoney Mason said:
I think they're one of the lamest things about this game, but I'll be honest... I do use them sometimes. You can get easy multi-kills in Domination when people are capturing flags, for example. But yeah, with Hardline Pro, they're absurdly easy to get. I tend to save them up and roll out a few one after another. Sorry. :|

X26 said:
or at the least make them easier to kill

If I don't have the right gun, the little fuckers are definitely hard to hit. Like most things I think they serve a purpose and are conceptually a good idea. I just think putting them at a three kill streak is not a good idea especially with hardline available.

Up that 2 kills or so to a 5 streak and it makes it a much more balanced scenario.

X26

Banned
attack dogs is probably offensive killstreaks done right. they're great, but can be countered and overall are pretty balanced

RC-XD is right up there with the chopper gunner in regards to needing tweeking

LeMaximilian said:
Really nice game. I really like how you kept moving from one spot to the next. That is how i like to play as well I can't do that in Black ops due to the amount of bullet lag or wonky hit detection. I am SMH after watching your match at the ease at which you get your kills. I noticed that a majority of them came from short bursts from your weapon. I will give you credit with great aiming but from what I've witnessed first hand, as have a majority of others, is the amount of rounds it takes me to bring someone down. I have to use nearly half a clip or more to get one kill even though my aiming is dead on. I do get the kill but having to use so many rounds leaves me vulnerable for the next enemy encounter which may be within seconds or emmediately. Very rarely have I had the good fortune of having the hit detection you had on this game. I'm glad someone looks to be having a blast playing this. It gives me hope that it will get straightened out for the rest of us who are having the problem I described.

Stoney Mason said:
If I don't have the right gun, the little fuckers are definitely hard to hit. Like most things I think they serve a purpose and are conceptually a good idea. I just think putting them at a three kill streak is not a good idea especially with hardline available.

Up that 2 kills or so to a 5 streak and it makes it a much more balanced scenario.
5 kills is a little to much for the RC-XD I think, considering that napalm strike is the same amount of kills and is way better.

X26 said:
attack dogs is probably offensive killstreaks done right. they're great, but can be countered and overall are pretty balanced

RC-XD is right up there with the chopper gunner in regards to needing tweeking

Generally I like how the kill streaks are handled. Most of them can be countered quite easily which puts the focus more on gunplay with the kill streaks being a nice bonus.

The chopper gunner and the gunship are both pretty powerful but then the lauchers that track aircrafts (strela) are also pretty powerful. When I've been on decent teams we've taken them both out pretty quickly before but definitely if I'm on a bad team, we tend to get raped by it. I could be tweaked definitely with more cooldown time on that gun at firing for a while but I also don't want it to just become an easy takedown.

I feel sorry honestly for the regular chopper killstreak at 7. That thing is always toast.

buy teh haloz said:
5 kills is a little to much for the RC-XD I think, considering that napalm strike is the same amount of kills and is way better.

Maybe but I think the napalm strike in non objective modes is also a bit of a gamble in that its limited to that area and sometimes you just get nothing out of it. That RC car can go anywhere (or nearly anywhere. Not up ladders of course). But either way 3 is definitely too low. 4 or 5 at the minimum imo. I'd prefer 5 because that would drastically cut them down as people would have a decision to make then. I'd settle for 4.

Shadow of the Sun said:
Really nice game. I really like how you kept moving from one spot to the next. That is how i like to play as well I can't do that in Black ops due to the amount of bullet lag or wonky hit detection. I am SMH after watching your match at the ease at which you get your kills. I noticed that a majority of them came from short bursts from your weapon. I will give you credit with great aiming but from what I've witnessed first hand, as have a majority of others, is the amount of rounds it takes me to bring someone down. I have to use nearly half a clip or more to get one kill even though my aiming is dead on. I do get the kill but having to use so many rounds leaves me vulnerable for the next enemy encounter which may be within seconds or emmediately. Very rarely have I had the good fortune of having the hit detection you had on this game. I'm glad someone looks to be having a blast playing this. It gives me hope that it will get straightened out for the rest of us who are having the problem I described.

I have the same problem as you. What I don't have however, is your avatar. It's creeping me out.

VaLiancY

Stoney Mason said:
Generally I like how the kill streaks are handled. Most of them can be countered quite easily which puts the focus more on gunplay with the kill streaks being a nice bonus.

The chopper gunner and the gunship are both pretty powerful but then the lauchers that track people are also pretty powerful. When I've been on decent teams we've taken them both out pretty quickly before but definitely if I'm on a bad team, we tend to get raped by it. I could be tweaked definitely with more cooldown time on that gun at firing for a while but I also don't want it to just become an easy takedown.

I feel sorry honestly for the regular chopper killstreak at 7. That thing is always toast.

At least they gave it a flare now. :lol

Regarding the RC-XD, I like how it fills the niche for a low risk, low reward offensive killstreak but I want to go out on a limb and say the average CoD player is fairly K/D focused so that will be their go to killstreak opposed to the UAV. A four killstreak wouldn't hurt either.

VaLiancY said:
At least they gave it a flare now. :lol

Regarding the RC-XD, I like how it fills the niche for a low risk, low reward offensive killstreak but I want to go out on a limb and say the average CoD player is fairly K/D focused so that will be their go to killstreak opposed to the UAV. A four killstreak wouldn't hurt either.

My problem with it is the frequency and the fact that it encourages camping in the sense that a lot of times if the other team is using them, I just camp for awhile until its gone in specific areas. I do sometimes run and gun with it though because I know somewhere there is a free kill on the map as that person is just sitting there controlling it. But yeah either way it needs to be reduced in frequency. There are a couple of ways you could go about that but just raising its killstreak number is the simplest.

Speaking of RC cars.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjMelMdiq-I

LeMaximilian said:

I wish I could make the Blackbird/CG/Dogs streak work out for me. I just can't quite get to 8/7 kills consistently enough. I've used it a few times though; I occasionally get exception games using it, but I get better overall performance with UAV/Napalm/CG.

I need to start playing with some GAFers so I can run some higher streaks and not have to worry about the randoms on my team :lol.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
zam said:
Who says the two are mutually exclusive?

People who don't care about K/D ratios?

What would make objective games "fun" again is probably if high K/D ratios gave you a 0 match bonus score. Or if kills from killstreaks didn't add to the overall score.

Maybe I just need to play more Pure games. At least those seem much less bullshitty.

My gawd that was one frustrating campaign... Worst 8 hours of this year!

Played through on Hardened. Died a million times on spawning enemies and glitchy scripts.

Atleast now i can focus on zombies and multiplayer :D Does anyone know if the exclusive zombie-maps will be available to buy later?

LeMaximilian

Alligator F*ck House
Shadow of the Sun said:

I completely agree with you, and I actually change my playstyle depending on the games connection right at the start. Wanna know a good way to see how shitty/good the connection of a game is with not looking at the lying green bars?

Shoot your weapon once at the start. Reload. How long did it take the reload animation to go into effect? If it wasn't close to being immediate, then you need to prepare for what type of game you're getting into.

In those situations, I run Ghost/Steady Aim Pro/Hacker with a silenced Galil. I keep my game at mid-long range, and if up close it's sneaky (waiting behind corners, and staying out of direct paths). However, if the connection is good...I'll run the same perks but with Hardline and a AK74u/Dual Mags.

Sure you get some really bad connections, and shit luck games...but I've been able to maintain a K/D of around 3.6 and a win ratio of 2.5. Just past 21,000 kills as well I believe. But the games biggest issue is still the connectivity(lag) during matches. Sometimes I'll get a whole group where everyone is in California, and it feels amazing. Others, I'll investigate to find out why the game felt like shit...to see that the majority of opposing forces came from the east coast.

I don't know why this game has such an issue with host advantage compared to games that never did before (COD4/W@W), but I really hope it gets addressed eventually. If Treyarch wants to make BO the MLG goto game since COD4, then it needs to happen.

This FUCKING game keeps FUCKING freezing on PS3. Can't party up AND JUMP INTO A MATCH TOGETHER for shit, and this piece of shit can NEVER migrate the host. Goddamn. IW put out an unbalanced game, but at least it fucking WORKED.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I'm already pretty much over this game, I'll play it with my friends, but for me, it's just not as fun as Halo (so long as you don't get stuck with quitters).

It's a very well done COD (barring the issues we all know of), but ultimately, it's still COD, and we've played it before.

Top Bottom