• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CoD Black Ops |OT| Always Bet On Black

Risette

A Good Citizen
brain_stew said:
100% positive.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-modern-warfare-2-face-off?page=3

Even the 360 version had major issues maintaining anything close to a constant 60fps, the PS3 version was even worse, dipping down as low as 20fps at times. You just didn't notice it, for whatever reason.

Honestly, it really annoys me that people trot out the COD games as a good example of 60fps console games, they're nothing of the sort. Well, in fairness, COD4 on 360 was close, but none of the other iterations have been.

Well, after 4 games in the series using the same engine all performing better on the 360, its a very safe assumption, tbf.
Statistically speaking, Xbox 360 ran with a 56.44FPS average in the above video with a 41FPS minimum and a 60FPS max. PS3 averages 51.82FPS, with a 33FPS minimum and of course the requisite 60FPS max.
omg wow holy shit what a huge difference

Seriously, somebody should make a comparison thread before this thread gets shat on.

Mik2121

brain_stew said:
100% positive.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-modern-warfare-2-face-off?page=3

Even the 360 version had major issues maintaining anything close to a constant 60fps, the PS3 version was even worse, dipping down as low as 20fps at times. You just didn't notice it, for whatever reason.

Honestly, it really annoys me that people trot out the COD games as a good example of 60fps console games, they're nothing of the sort. Well, in fairness, COD4 on 360 was close, but none of the other iterations have been.

Well, after 4 games in the series using the same engine all performing better on the 360, its a very safe assumption, tbf.
Eh.. dunno. Yeah, I guess the framerate was lower during certain busy scenes in a few spots of the campaign. And that sucks, but overall I never felt like the framerate was anywhere close to be considered bad.

Then again, the last time I played the campaign was a couple days after the game got released and I was finishing it. Since then I've only touched the multiplayer, and I hardly doubt there are framerate issues there.

coolcole93 said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aui2mJQzYpw

Quote from this - "The only streaks which stack now are the UAV and the Blackbird." Perfect - these are two killstreaks which benefit the whole team and not just you. So this means that a lone wolf player going for a chopper gunner every game has to help his team whether he wants to or not :D
What does this mean? So if I get an RC car and don't use it then get napalm strike it will erase the RC car?

If you mean stacking via kills, well those can't get kills.

? I am confused.

lockload

LabouredSubterfuge said:
@UK GAF:

Does anyone know if you've needed to preorder in order to go to the midnight openings?

Depends where you are going, for example the 24hr supermarkets like asda you can just turn up, game/gamestation not sure, my locla game store is opening at 8am tomorrow so ill get it then

Hubba-EX

Neo Member
LabouredSubterfuge said:
@UK GAF:

Does anyone know if you've needed to preorder in order to go to the midnight openings?

You don't have to pre-order.

The best deal for this game in the UK is at Tesco's imho.

Black Ops + £20 PSN card/ LIVE points for £45, essentially Black Ops for £25. The credit can go towards the map packs or any other game.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
brain_stew said:
The framerate in all previous COD console games has been better on the 360 than PS3, so its probably safe to assume it will be this time as well.

The only platform with a significant advantage is of course the PC (dedi servers, higher player counts, lean, better graphics, more control options, 1080p, better framerate etc.)

They put lean back in? Great job, guys.

Hubba-EX said:

Black Ops + £20 PSN card/ LIVE points for £45, essentially Black Ops for £25. The credit can go towards the map packs or any other game.

Ah thanks guys. I was getting a last minute panic thinking that I'd get turned away without a pre-order. It's fricken cold out.

Mr Sandman said:
What does this mean? So if I get an RC car and don't use it then get napalm strike it will erase the RC car?

? I am confused.

Most killstreak rewards won't help you earn killstreaks. But the Spy Plane and Blackbird show you the enemy location, which naturally helps you earn more kills. So if your goal is just to get to an 11 killstreak, your best bet is to run Spy Plane -> Blackbird -> Gunship/Dogs.

Mik2121 said:
Eh.. dunno. Yeah, I guess the framerate was lower during certain busy scenes in a few spots of the campaign. And that sucks, but overall I never felt like the framerate was anywhere close to be considered bad.

I never said it was bad, just not anything like a constant 60fps as some seem to drill home every time they talk about a COD game.

Mr Sandman said:

? I am confused.

the napalm strike will override the RC car because it's higher up reward but soon as you use it the RC car will still be there.

divisionbyzorro said:
Most killstreak rewards won't help you earn killstreaks. But the Spy Plane and Blackbird show you the enemy location, which naturally helps you earn more kills. So if your goal is just to get to an 11 killstreak, your best bet is to run Spy Plane -> Blackbird -> Gunship/Dogs.
They still don't really 'stack', per se.

Mileena

Banned
brain_stew said:
I've got over 40k kills on both versions of MW2 and the only difference is the sound of some guns (I still don't get this) but they look and perform identical.

Xamdou

brain_stew said:
100% positive.

Thank you brain_stew for that. Sadly these two has far less to contribute to the grand FPS debacle.

divisionbyzorro said:

snap0212 said:
That comment makes you look so fucking stupid. I bet $10 you can't even see the difference between 55 and 60 frames a second.

CoD is one of the few games that always perform great on either platform.

LordAlu

LabouredSubterfuge said:
Ah thanks guys. I was getting a last minute panic thinking that I'd get turned away without a pre-order. It's fricken cold out.
You might wanna start queuing now though... my friend works at Asda and she's said there's already a queue with people sat in deck chairs!

Do I got to a midnight launch tonight to get 3 hours worth of play in or do I wait for my game to arrive tomorrow?

Hate it when this kind of stuff happens...

kyo_daikun said:
Do I got to a midnight launch tonight to get 3 hours worth of play in or do I wait for my game to arrive tomorrow?

Hate it when this kind of stuff happens...

This is why I don't do Amazon stuff. They need to pay off UPS to go start around delivering copies at 11pm. :lol

Xamdou said:
Thank you brain_stew for that. Sadly these two has far less to contribute to the grand FPS debacle.

Xamdou, you just don't fucking get it. I don't care if you're right. I care that you're derailing the thread with console war crap. Which you did (for a time). You happy?

lockload

Hubba-EX said:

Ive got a tesco a few mins walk away i may pop down and check that deal out

Lothars

Xamdou said:

I don't think he did though, he quoted Eurogamer and I wouldn't call that a fair source by any means.

If anything both systems ran the game fine, I would get whichever one you prefer but you won't lose out by going with one over the other.

divisionbyzorro said:
Ahh, makes sense. So naturally it will be helping the team as well as you.

Lothars said:
I don't think he did though, he quoted Eurogamer and I wouldn't call that a fair source by any means.

If anything both systems ran the game fine, I would get whichever one you prefer but you won't lose out by going with one over the other.

Don't be so completely ridiculous.

Mr Sandman said:
Ahh, makes sense. So naturally it will be helping the team as well as you.

Exactly. So even the worst of objective mode killwhores will benefit the team in some way, assuming they go down the UAV -> blackbird -> dogs/chopper gunner/whatever route :)

corkscrewblow said:
I've got over 40k kills on both versions of MW2 and the only difference is the sound of some guns (I still don't get this) but they look and perform identical.

Its been objectively proven beyond any doubt. Whether or not it bothers you is irrelevant and doesn't change anything.

JB1981

DryvBy2 said:
I've played MW2 and WaW on both and I never noticed any difference. Maybe I'm blind..
Not to continue this debate (I'm doing it anyway aren't I?) but the PS3 version did have pretty signficant dips in FPS in the SP campaign. The MP runs at a constant 60fps pretty much, but if you are sensitive to these things and care about the technical quality of the SP campaign, the PS3 version will probably suffer (based on previous iterations). However, I could be wrong and they could have optimized the game on PS3 for this version. Here's hoping.

Sorry divisionbyzero! .. i'm done.

Still no reviews? I'm not sold on Black Ops yet. A few of my real-life friends have boycotted it because they were so frustrated by MW2. So I'm waiting to decide if I want to pick it up or not.

TheExodu5

Banned
:lol at the guy saying you can't see the difference in between 55 and 60 fps. It's really easy. If the game is vsynced, one will be perfectly smooth, and the other will stutter slighty. If there is no vsync, well one will have tearing all over the screen, and the other might have slowly moving tearing line. Now 50 and 55 would be hard to tell apart.

It may not be obvious for most people, but some of us are probably quite sensitive to it. It also is probably harder to pick up on frame skips on the consoles due to the lack of 1:1 aiming.

So I've played COD 3 and W@W and hated them both. Invisible walls galore, houses that were just boxes with ramps for staircases, enemy AI that was even worse than any previous COD game, and trial and error checkpoints. I have no faith that Treyarch can create a compelling campaign experience.

But GAF is telling me that its the best COD campaign to date?

Simple question: Are you fucking with me GAF? I've been burned by the GAF hype a few too many times now as it is.

Dennis

Banned
Heads up - some UK people with a retail copy say the game is unlocked and they can play now.

UK Steam people should check if its unlocked too.

NullPointer said:
So I've played COD 3 and W@W and hated them both. Invisible walls galore, houses that were just boxes with ramps for staircases, enemy AI that was even worse than any previous COD game, and trial and error checkpoints. I have no faith that Treyarch can create a compelling campaign experience.

Simple question: Are you fucking with me GAF? I've been burned by the GAF hype a few too many times now as it is.

If I were you I'd expect all thhose things to be present in this game. Maybe those who have completed it can say more though.

Sanic

Not to derail the derailing and ask something that's likely been asked before, but is there any indication or outright confirmation that the Hardened zombie maps will be made available as DLC down the line? Not sure if I want to pony up an extra $20 for them right now.

Lothars said:

Digital Foundry's framerate analysis is proven technology but if you don't believe it for whatever reason I can give you another source:

http://www.youtube.com/user/ps360frame#g/u

This really isn't up for debate, I'm not trying to influence anyone's purchase decisions, just answering some people's questions with objective data.

ZZMitch

TheExodu5 said:
:lol at the guy saying you can't see the difference in between 55 and 60 fps. It's really easy. If the game is vsynced, one will be perfectly smooth, and the other will stutter slighty. If there is no vsync, well one will have tearing all over the screen, and the other might have slowly moving tearing line. Now 50 and 55 would be hard to tell apart.

It may not be obvious for most people, but some of us are probably quite sensitive to it. It also is probably harder to pick up on frame skips on the consoles due to the lack of 1:1 aiming.

Yes, gotta love vsync.

Lothars

NullPointer said:

I would wait than and just see, It's prerelease hype right now until we get actual hands on impressions from users for how the singleplayer really is.

JB1981 said:
Sorry divisionbyzero! .. i'm done.

Exactly why I wished this topic had never been brought up in here - it never leads anywhere positive in the context of an OT.

It's not that I don't think it's a valid discussion to have; I just feel like it derails the otherwise positive momentum of a thread. I could totally get behind a separate thread to have this discussion, as that's where I think these sorts of discussions belong.

divisionbyzorro said:
Exactly why I wished this topic had never been brought up in here - it never leads anywhere positive in the context of an OT.

It's not that I don't think it's a valid discussion to have; I just feel like it derails the otherwise positive momentum of a thread. I could totally get behind a separate thread to have this discussion, as that's where I think these sorts of discussions belong.
Hear, hear

Lothars said:
I would wait than and just see, It's prerelease hype right now until we get actual hands on impressions from users for how the singleplayer really is.
This is just too reasonable a suggestion. I'll do my best :lol

Just wish I could've seen what people loved about W@W's campaign - maybe its just an another example of co-op making everything better?

snap0212 said:
That comment makes you look so fucking stupid. I bet $10 you can't even see the difference between 55 and 60 frames a second.

CoD is one of the few games that always perform great on either platform.

Oh the irony! :lol :lol

I hope you're going to pay up.

Tamanon

Banned
Pandoracell said:
Not to derail the derailing and ask something that's likely been asked before, but is there any indication or outright confirmation that the Hardened zombie maps will be made available as DLC down the line? Not sure if I want to pony up an extra $20 for them right now.

You won't get confirmation until the edition has sold out. But it'd be silly not to sell it as DLC later on.

Maffis

So I've been playing some Black Ops on PC right now. Seems to be a alot of people playing now. You must have a european retail version to play I think. But I've seen som american servers full too.

However, I'm getting crap performance. I have a Dual core 3.16ghz, 4gb ram and a ati 4870 1gb and my FPS is terrible! And I got alot of stuttering all the time. Shit's unplayable.

ToyMachine228 said:
Still no reviews? I'm not sold on Black Ops yet. A few of my real-life friends have boycotted it because they were so frustrated by MW2. So I'm waiting to decide if I want to pick it up or not.

Reviews won't be coming until release day(midnight?). Personally I don't think reviews from major sites will change your mind. They'll say sp is good but short, mp is great, but I think a lot of it will be from what everyone says. At least that's what I think.

I just hope I'll be playing this longer than I did with MW2.

Top Bottom