• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CoD Black Ops |OT| Always Bet On Black

AnEternalEnigma said:
This is why I don't do Amazon stuff. They need to pay off UPS to go start around delivering copies at 11pm. :lol

My problem is due to my retailer giving the courier a hold date and them actually sticking to it, im going to email them and ask they don't send my shit by courier again or at least ask them to deliver a day early (through regular mail I always get my games the day before release from the same retailer)

Dennis

Banned
Maffis said:
So I've been playing some Black Ops on PC right now. Seems to be a alot of people playing now. You must have a european retail version to play I think. But I've seen som american servers full too.

However, I'm getting crap performance. I have a Dual core 3.16ghz, 4gb ram and a ati 4870 1gb and my FPS is terrible! And I got alot of stuttering all the time. Shit's unplayable.
I have heard this elsewhere as well:

guy said:
my i7 920 @ 4.2 and 460 @ 900 core is really struggling with this game

i think its the 1GB Vram on the 460

according to fraps im getting a constant 120fps (changed max fps in the cfg file to 120)

but even then the game stutters like mad
going to reduce the texture settings and AA down to see if that helps

guy update said:
hmm it looks like @ 1680x1050 you cant use more than 4xAA or use textures higher than "normal" on a 460 1GB or the game will lag bad....

it does look better than MW2 but not that much better that a 460 1gb cant max it out at a low rez like 1680

some other guy said:
Just had a few games of FFA. First impressions, it seems a lot more demanding on my system than MW2 which runs as smooth as silk at all times. This is smooth at times but can chug a bit as well.

TheExodu5

Banned
Maffis said:
So I've been playing some Black Ops on PC right now. Seems to be a alot of people playing now. You must have a european retail version to play I think. But I've seen som american servers full too.

However, I'm getting crap performance. I have a Dual core 3.16ghz, 4gb ram and a ati 4870 1gb and my FPS is terrible! And I got alot of stuttering all the time. Shit's unplayable.
Check the settings...maybe something is really killing that framerate. You try to get framerate numbers with fraps?

edit: wow at Denis 4k quotes. Maybe there's needlessly uncompressed textures taking up way too much memory? Kind of like Doom 3's uncompressed textures.

TheExodu5 said:
Check the settings...maybe something is really killing that framerate. You try to get framerate numbers with fraps?

edit: wow at Denis 4k quotes. Maybe there's needlessly uncompressed textures taking up way too much memory? Kind of like Doom 3's uncompressed textures.

I don't think the option of including better textures is a bad thing, quite the opposite. Maybe they should have better labelled the higher settings though. That definitely sounds like what the issue is.

careful

Gaming sites MP reviews are so useless. The reviewers only cover the most basic stuff and write in very generic terms. It's better you just read the GAF impressions from COD vets like LeMax, cameltoe, etc.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
W@W wasn't as well optimized as MW2 either. MW2 had some fucking incredible optimization. I bet the stutters will be fixed in a driver update within a week.

Maffis said:
Hmm, will try it some more. I've been hearing people are having the same problem everywhere.

Turn the texture setting down.

Oh and it should go without saying these days but are you frocing triple buffering through D3DOverrider? If you're using the standard ingame vsync setting, then you're going to get some nasty stuttering.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
brain_stew said:
I don't think the option of including better textures is a bad thing, quite the opposite. Maybe they should have better labelled the higher settings though. That definitely sounds like what the issue is.
Compressed doesn't necessarily mean worse. Hopefully this is a case of a single setting making things run like crap.

Loxley

Stallion Free said:
W@W wasn't as well optimized as MW2 either. MW2 had some fucking incredible optimization. I bet the stutters will be fixed in a driver update within a week.

Yep, W@W was very "meh" in terms of it's performance for me, CoD4 was actually worse. To date, MW2 was easily the smoothest running of any Call of Duty since CoD1. Granted I have a dated motherboard and dual-core that I'm too lazy to upgrade, but MW2 ran shockingly well on high settings for me.

At any rate, going to jump into some Bad Company 2 to try and satiate my needs for Black Ops : /

ZZMitch

brain_stew said:
Turn the texture setting down.

Oh and it should go without saying these days but are you frocing triple buffering through D3DOverrider? If you're using the standard ingame vsync setting, then you're going to get some nasty stuttering.

This. Try it with D3D

TheExodu5

Banned
poppabk said:
Compressed doesn't necessarily mean worse. Hopefully this is a case of a single setting making things run like crap.
Pretty much. There was no noticeable difference in between Very High and Uncompressed in Doom 3. It can be like a FLAC vs. 320kbps MP3 kind of thing.

poppabk said:

Well all DX9 texture compression routines are lossy to some extent iirc, so its still nice to have the option there for those with 2GB cards, it should be clearly labelled like it is in Tech 4 games though, if that is the case.

It could simply be higher resolution textures though, there's games on the market that can use more than 1GB in textures even with compression (Metro, GTA4, Oblivion mods etc.).

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
What, fuck v-sync and triple buffering for multiplayer shooters, I can feel the hint of lag when aiming and it annoys the shit out of me. Call of Duty doesn't tear at all for me and I value mouse tightness much more.

Jumping right in and saying that it's the first review and they want the hits from a 'low' score, or they just don't like Treyarch.

Answers on a postcard.

Stallion Free said:

That definitely wasn't my experience, although I had little experience with MW2 on PC, the benchmarks seem to reinforce that opinion as well. COD4 performed much better than both games.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
brain_stew said:
That definitely wasn't my experience, although I had little experience with MW2 on PC, the benchmarks seem to reinforce that opinion as well. COD4 performed much better than both games.
Good thing I go on by actual experience and not benchmarks which I view as bullshit 95% of the time.

Stallion Free said:
What, fuck v-sync and triple buffering for multiplayer shooters, I can feel the hint of lag when aiming and it annoys the shit out of me. Call of Duty doesn't tear at all for me and I value mouse tightness much more.

I said to use triple buffering over the ingame vsync setting. If you prefer to play without any sort of vsync, then obviously that advice doesn't apply but triple buffer vsync is better for input lag and consistancy of response than double buffer vsync.

Dennis

Banned
Game Pad review: 9.6 out of 10 (360 version)

Game Pad said:
Overall with these changes, and what seems to be the most balanced multiplayer experience since CoD4, Black Ops has achieved what MW2 wanted to achieve and that is near perfection in the franchise. With all the standard modes like TDM and Search you'll feel right at home with the game and its mechanics. You can see the attention and care the team has given to the MP experience to ensure that players will enjoy themselves no matter what their skill level is. This care and attention has also been put into the maps which I can truly say all 14 of them reflect the era exceptionally well and are well designed and balanced on all game modes. I have yet to witness any glitches or exploits in the game as of yet, which is a sign of a fully polished MP experience.

http://www.game-pad.net/reviews/xbox-360/1218-call-of-duty-black-ops-review

h0pper

only Fernando's ripe melons are good enough for me
brain_stew said:
There's reports that certain settings (read: textures) can lead to framerate issues on cards with 1GB VRAM or less. Not seeing any reports of bugs yet.

bleh. yeah, I have a 1gb card. I'm sure it will be patched quickly but it's still an inconvenience.

Mik2121

Shawn6661 said:
Gamekult.com launched their review before the others

7/10 (multiplayer : excellent)

They gave Waw a 6. Basically, they considere its the best Treyarch COD yet, but its not up to Modern Warfare.
Not checking the actual site, but could someone post the final scores or whatever reasons they gave for the scores? Otherwise it sounds like they are just looking for page hits. I can see sirs that don't like the game, gie it an 8 or so, with most sites giving it a 9, 9.5 etc.. But a 7?...

h0pper said:
bleh. yeah, I have a 1gb card. I'm sure it will be patched quickly but it's still an inconvenience.

Its not necessarily something that needs "patched" or even a bug at all. Seems setting textures to medium gets rid of the issue, looks like there needs to be better labelling in the menus.

I'll wait and see if anything else causes stuttering.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
h0pper said:
so PC version is buggy? fantastic!
There is no way of knowing that. People with 460's expect to be able to max everything, there may be one setting in there that takes you from stuttering at high to fluid at medium.

zero margin said:
Might have to switch to the 360 version tomorrow then and get pc when everything smooths out.

Eurgh!

The 360 version doesn't have over 1GB of uncompressed textures. :lol

So far, it seems that simply setting textures to medium (which will almost certainly still give you higher resolution textures than the 360 version) fixes the "issue."

Idiots panic when they can't max every single last setting, but that doesn't mean the game looks worse than the 360 version at a mix of high/medium, far from it.

So this just happened.

WXFDm.png

6:02 EST here.

Shawn6661

Mik2121 said:
Not checking the actual site, but could someone post the final scores or whatever reasons they gave for the scores? Otherwise it sounds like they are just looking for page hits. I can see sirs that don't like the game, gie it an 8 or so, with most sites giving it a 9, 9.5 etc.. But a 7?...

You have to understand their editorial line, 7 is a very good score there. Its the same score Halo 3/Reach got. As already said, they gave World At War a 6 and they say the multiplayer is still great. Here are the +/- :

+ varied campaign
+ solid gameplay
+ some heroic scenes
+ complete multipayer
+ nice vehicles

- solo a bit short
- confused story and poorly directed
- clumsy level design
- some ugly textures
- the weapons feel a little soft

Calibur

Scavenger + Scavenger Pro is a pretty useless Perk now in BlackOps, it only Replenish tactical grenades, not Lethal or Equipment :[

brain_stew said:
Eurgh!

The 360 version doesn't have over 1GB of uncompressed textures. :lol

So far, it seems that simply setting textures to medium (which will almost certainly still give you higher resolution textures than the 360 version) fixes the "issue."

Idiots panic when they can't max every single last setting, but that doesn't mean the game looks worse than the 360 version at a mix of high/medium, far from it.

well the key word was might, if you're right and switching to medium works than I will have no problems with that.

Dennis

Banned
Seems there really are problems for a lot of people.

new guy said:
It's not your card mate, it's the game. Its unplayable for me, stuttering every thirty seconds or so.

There's a fair amount of complaints on the Steam forums about it too.

Specs include i5 750@4.2GHz, 4GB/1600MHz and 470gtx@800/1600/2000.

ppl are saying even the menus are laggy on the pc. I am sure this will get patched soon. Still amazing the the dev released the game like this.

Calibur said:
Scavenger + Scavenger Pro is a pretty useless Perk now in BlackOps, it only Replenish tactical grenades, not Lethal or Equipment :[

You sure about that? I thought for sure it refilled lethal grenades. The wiki is wrong as well if that's not the case.

Mik2121

Shawn6661 said:
You have to understand their editorial line, 7 is a very good score there. Its the same score Halo 3/Reach got. As already said, they gave World At War a 6 and they say the multiplayer is still great. Here are the +/- :

+ varied campaign
+ solid gameplay
+ some heroic scenes
+ complete multipayer
+ nice vehicles

- solo a bit short
- confused story and poorly directed
- clumsy level design
- some ugly textures
- the weapons feel a little soft
Oh ok, thanks for that.

Also I just noticed i said sirs instead of sites... Damn iPad changing my words...

Top Bottom