• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CoD Black Ops |OT| Always Bet On Black

Kabuki Waq said:
ppl are saying even the menus are laggy on the pc. I am sure this will get patched soon. Still amazing the the dev released the game like this.
Man I never understand how games can come out so buggy, there is literally a lot people out there waiting to test your games even for free.

GhostRidah said:
Man I never understand how games can come out so buggy, there is literally a lot people out there waiting to test your games even for free.

i dont know what to attribute this to...Lazy devs maybe? I was hyped for this game but all the impressions from my buddies are that the game is really unpolished at times.

Mik2121 said:
Not checking the actual site, but could someone post the final scores or whatever reasons they gave for the scores? Otherwise it sounds like they are just looking for page hits. I can see sirs that don't like the game, gie it an 8 or so, with most sites giving it a 9, 9.5 etc.. But a 7?...
Come on man. It's a little early to be second guessing review scores, isn't it?

Mik2121

GhostRidah said:
There are tons of things that can, and usually do, go wrong. They can fix just enough bugs until they get out of time and need to release the game. That's why you get games with so many bugs, and why Internet patching is a somewhat good thing.

Now you might say that because of patching, we are getting more and more buggy games on release... but then again, games 5 or 6 years ago didn't have as many features as they do nowadays, and the games that had bugs, had them forever.

X26

Banned
Relix said:
Meh. Debating about going to midnight or not. Haven't done one in a long time :lol

Same here. I'd have to walk 20min in the dark, wait for god knows how long when I get there, then walk 20min back, just to play for maybe an hour before going to bed. In general the area isn't all that great either, and there's my dignity to consider...

Mik2121 said:
There are tons of things that can, and usually do, go wrong. They can fix just enough bugs until they get out of time and need to release the game. That's why you get games with so many bugs, and why Internet patching is a somewhat good thing.

Now you might say that because of patching, we are getting more and more buggy games on release... but then again, games 5 or 6 years ago didn't have as many features as they do nowadays, and the games that had bugs, had them forever.

It's the fact that Activision demands 3+ years of work in 2 years. It drove Infintity Ward insane and Treyarch is not immune.

2 years is not enough to make a full campaign, an extensive as hell, complex mp with literally thousands of combinations that has more maps than any competitor AND a co-op experience. Then do that on all platforms. It's just unrealistic and cruel.

By the time these guys get a second to breathe, they get bombarded by glitches, hackers, bugs, balancing that they shoulda had time to take care of in the first place. While that's going on the clock is ticking for the next 2 year cycle. Tick tock.

DennisK4 said:
Seems there really are problems for a lot of people.

No mention of settings though. Or vsync. Not conclusive yet.

There's very few people I trust on this subject, so many are completely clueless when it comes to judging performance that I'm always sceptical. I'm not saying there aren't issues, just wait until a reliable source/poster confirm them.

Maffis

brain_stew said:
No mention of settings though. Or vsync. Not conclusive yet.

There's very few people I trust on this subject, so many are completely clueless when it comes to judging performance that I'm always sceptical. I'm not saying there aren't issues, just wait until a reliable source/poster confirm them.

I've tried everything now. But the problem, according to alot of people, is extreme CPU bottlenecking. The CPU works 100% while graphic memory and ram is not even in the 50%'s. It's too much stress on the CPU. I see no difference in the framerate on LOW or HIGH settings either.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
ShallNoiseUpon said:
So this just happened.

WXFDm.png

6:02 EST here.

So how did this turn out for you?

NinjaKixx

Banned
So is the Blackbird like a UAV but instead of showing the enemy position, waiting for a re-scan, then showing the enemy in his new location it shows a steady stream of movement?

Maffis

I've been playing against bots on nuketown, and wow, that map really sucks. They keep on spawning right behind you.

NinjaKixx said:
So is the Blackbird like a UAV but instead of showing the enemy position, waiting for a re-scan, then showing the enemy in his new location it shows a steady stream of movement?
It also shows what direction enemies are moving in.

Maffis said:
I've tried everything now. But the problem, according to alot of people, is extreme CPU bottlenecking. The CPU works 100% while graphic memory and ram is not even in the 50%'s. It's too much stress on the CPU. I see no difference in the framerate on LOW or HIGH settings either.

Well that sucks.

Makes no sense either, its a console port and all previous games barely touched modern CPUs. Any old dual core CPU were enough for the previous games. No reason it should be heavy on the CPU at all. How's it spread the workload accross cores?

Maffis said:
I've been playing against bots on nuketown, and wow, that map really sucks. They keep on spawning right behind you.

hmm makes me think all those IW sucks Treyarch will save us comments were sort of overdone.

mjc

The hype is starting to get to me. I really didn't like MW2's MP mostly because the maps were complete garbage. Do we have any positive impressions about the maps in this one?

Got my copy (360) this morning (didn't bother with midnight release cause place here that was doing it was a total ripoff price wise :lol @ them).

Itching to get home and play, stupid work hurry up! I'm fairly new when it comes to CoD games. My brother got me into MW2 so this will be my first 'sequel'. Hopefully I like it.

Loxley

mjc said:
The hype is starting to get to me. I really didn't like MW2's MP mostly because the maps were complete garbage. Do we have any positive impressions about the maps in this one?

I've read that a few of the maps suffer from some of the same "problems" that many people had with MW2's maps; there are a few too many back allies, little rooms and corners that don't really encourage you to stick with your team, a lot of the maps aren't symmetrical at all.

In terms of specific maps, I've heard good things about WMD, Jungle, and Villa.

Just in case anybody needs any more reason to buy from Amazon, I told you guys I already got $40 of credit applied to my release day purchase, putting it at a whopping $20.

So now I get my shipping confirmation along with a message that I now have 200 credit points for buying this.

Did I just get $60 in credit for paying $60? Even if Treyarch screwed the pooch on this one at least I'm getting my money's worth ;P

Kabuki Waq said:
hmm makes me think all those IW sucks Treyarch will save us comments were sort of overdone.

Seriously. The revisionist love for World at War and Treyarch in general is ridiculous. All they've really done is piggybacked on IW's success. WaW was an iteration of COD4, and Black Ops seems to be an iteration of MW2. Though IW made some bonehead decisions with MW2, I appreciate the effort to change up their game and make some actual innovations.

Calibur

DennisK4 said:

Wow Game-pad have just got a tongue lashing from Activision Rep

Activision Public Re said:
Reviews for Call of Duty Black Ops are still under embargoe. If this review is not taken down within a reasonable time we will pursue legal action. We did not furnish your website with a copy of Black Ops and reviewing pirated software is both unethical and criminal.

Thanks,
Allie Waithcomb
Activision Public Relations

Ouch :lol

Dennis

Banned
Calibur said:
Wow Game-pad have just got a tongue lashing from Activision Rep

Ouch :lol
:lol

Should point out that the Rep posted this in a comment on the review. So we can't be certain but it seems legit.

How fucking stupid are you to release a review when you couldn't possibly have a legit review copy? :lol

MMaRsu

How can you NOT lift a goddamn embargo when the game is already out? This shit fucking boggles my mind. So damn annoying.

antonz

DennisK4 said:
:lol

Should point out that the Rep posted this in a comment on the review. So we can't be certain but it seems legit.

How fucking stupid are you to release a review when you couldn't possibly have a legit review copy? :lol

The same way lots of gaffers have the game and are playing unlesss you are suggesting all the gaffers playing are pirates.

The games hit the street.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Game is running like shit for me, especially for how it looks.

Q6600@3.2GHz, 4850, 4GB

Edit: It's pretty much unplayable like this.

Dennis

Banned
antonz said:
The same way lots of gaffers have the game and are playing unlesss you are suggesting all the gaffers playing are pirates.

The games hit the street.
I would assume that you understand that a serious reviewer puts in a reasonable amount of time including the MP before coming out with a review.

Top Bottom