• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Basketball 2009-2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

SyNapSe

another couple of observations:

Hamilton looks way out of control. It happens with young guys. Xavier Henry seems to really "press" in all of KUs big games so far. You can even see it in his shot release where he seems to generate a hitch and then push the shot. I'm sure it's nerves, etc.

J'Covan Brown has hit a couple of 3's I think but man.. wtf, he doesn't even jump on his 3-point shot. He's going to have a tough time getting that off against real defense or if he weren't the 8th option on his team.

SyNapSe

both teams really lacking in a shot blocking presence + really skilled guys at every position on the court is causing a lot of easy attacking plays. It's fun to watch though :)

bachikarn said:
What happened?

Butler scored with what looked to be 1.2 seconds left, but shouldnt have been a basket at all. The player was on the ground and stood up with the ball without dribbling meaning travel. The refs went and looked at the replay for a goo 5-10 minutes. Then said there was no time left and the game was over. THe Xavier coach almost lost it, plus I was pretty sure Bob knight was ready to lose it on how long they took to review it.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
perfectchaos007 said:
Yeah i got stuck in the north side because south side was full. and why do you hate the hellraisers so much? Sure they are all a bunch of drunken lunatics that paint their chests, but it makes for good television material. Otherwise our student section is pretty tame. even in football

1) They set 4 fires during campouts for basketball tickets my Senior year and almost got the camp outs banned. Those fucktards NEVER camped out unless it was for a big game and they were always drinking copious amounts of liquor and trying to start riots.

They are also foul mouthed and bad sports. It's one thing to rag on an opposing fan. It's another entirely to cuss out small children or throw shit at people. I've sat near the hellraisers at enough football games to see that this is common practice for those idiots.

2) The solution to the problem was simply to reserve seats for the hellraisers so they show up 10 minutes into the game and have primo seats reserved.

Clearly the University likes giving favorable treatment to a bunch of drunk fucktards. If you could legally abort someone at the age of 18 they would be the group to start with.

StoOgE

Just got back from Jerryworld. It is possible worse for basketball than football. The good news is they suspended 4 more HDTV's from the giant HDTV. Insert your "Yo Dawg I heard you like" meme here.

Anyway, the horns looked good. The end of the half was fantastic and pretty much sealed the game after that. Big game Tuesday night that I'll be back in Austin for. If we can rattle off those two wins in a row I think we should jump to number 1. Nothing against KU, but I think we would have shown more to this point than they have.

StoOgE said:
Just got back from Jerryworld. It is possible worse for basketball than football. The good news is they suspended 4 more HDTV's from the giant HDTV. Insert your "Yo Dawg I heard you like" meme here.

Anyway, the horns looked good. The end of the half was fantastic and pretty much sealed the game after that. Big game Tuesday night that I'll be back in Austin for. If we can rattle off those two wins in a row I think we should jump to number 1. Nothing against KU, but I think we would have shown more to this point than they have.

Thinking back to how bad of a venue Ford Field was for both UNC/MSU BOHICAs last year I can only imagine how bad Cowboys Stadiums is. I guess the giant HDTVs would help in the nosebleed seats though.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Duke/Zags game was the most boring blowout I've seen. Neither team looked good on offense, Duke happened to be better on defense today. I didn't think Gonzaga would break 40, they needed a 3 in the last minute to do so. I still don't know what I think about this team, I'm not thinking they're top 10 worthy.

UK beat Austin Peay, 90-69. it was about a 10 point game for most of it, then we went on a "UK run" and well, that was that.

1999 total wins. we are 11-0, and we play Drexel Monday night, 7pm, Rupp Arena, for win #2000. i'll be there.

looks like we could be 14-0 going into the louisville game Jan 2, and if we win that, undefeated heading into conference play.

DJ_Tet

Banned
Bowser said:
Thompson was MUCH better last year as a complement to Hansbrough. He's looked pretty terrible (3-11 shooting, at least 3 turnovers) today and against all the good competition we've played. He'll drop 20-10 on cupcakes, but teams with real length eat him up.

You got it. Thompson sucks. UNC was much better off once they started feeding Davis. They should have done that the whole game.

As far as the duke game, I have to agree with truly above, it was one of the most boring basketball games that I can remember. There were some spurts of great D but mostly it was just ugly basketball. I'm not even sure how Duke started climbing ahead, much less almost doubled up the Zags. They had a few strong moments offensively but for the most part it was a really bad, boring basketball game.

How the hell is Kyle Singler going to be a first round/lottery type player? Duke really needs him to step up his game if they think they are going anywhere this year.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
DJ_Tet said:
You got it. Thompson sucks. UNC was much better off once they started feeding Davis. They should have done that the whole game.

As far as the duke game, I have to agree with truly above, it was one of the most boring basketball games that I can remember. There were some spurts of great D but mostly it was just ugly basketball. I'm not even sure how Duke started climbing ahead, much less almost doubled up the Zags. They had a few strong moments offensively but for the most part it was a really bad, boring basketball game.

How the hell is Kyle Singler going to be a first round/lottery type player? Duke really needs him to step up his game if they think they are going anywhere this year.

Consider his 1st two years he was more of a post player, now they need him to be a wing, he lost all that weight he gained his sophomore season and is trying to be a more perimeter player, hence the struggles. Unless shit clicks during ACC play I think he stays. This team has a lot to figure out in the meantime, though on the plus side, we're not peaking early.

I wouldn't be too hard on Deon. He struggled for you today but Texas is HUGE and experienced. Thompson has been your most consistent player this young season and I think he's become more of a leader than Ginyard has.

UNC and Duke are similar this season in one respect. They are having to relearn how to play versus how they normally play given this season's personnel. UNC doesn't have that super fast PG to drive the offense, though Drew is not bad. Duke doesn't have those wing players to drive and penetrate like Henderson and DeMarcus did the previous seasons. they're also huge, but haven't run an inside out post type offense in years. Both teams will lose some games you won't normally expect, but they payoff is hopefully come due in March and next season as well.

Zoe

StoOgE said:

I didn't think it was that bad. Definitely watched the monitors more than the floor though (from section 23).

At least we took lots and lots of pictures.

Karakand

Branduil said:
Playing Dragovic has a way of bringing everyone together. In hate.
I love how he shot us out of the game in the second half against Notre Dame.

Surely there is SOMEONE who can take some of his minutes, right? Shit play Mustafa Abdul-Hamid if we're gonna look bad might as well do it with walkons instead of dudes that beat women.

SyNapSe

Zoe said:
I didn't think it was that bad. Definitely watched the monitors more than the floor though (from section 23).

At least we took lots and lots of pictures.

How could you not? The main screen is what 1 + 2/3rds of a full basketball court in width? The images via TV were amazing. That said, it really sums up why JerryJ felt that building the palace was necessary. HDTV is going to continue to put a real hurting on game attendance.

I hope BFellows trip wasn't all bad. That doesn't sound enjoyable at all :(

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
SyNapSe said:
I hope BFellows trip wasn't all bad. That doesn't sound enjoyable at all :(

I'm pretty pretty used to it. :D

It was a pretty good trip overall.

My brother and I met your guys AD at Biggs BBQ. We didn't realize who he was until half time of the game when he came out and introduced Turner Gil to the crowd. Really nice guy.

Oh and there isn't a bad seat in the house at the Phog. Even the people at the very top seem to have a very good view.

Longhorns are legit. like Sto0ge said, if we bet Michigan St. we should be rewarded with #1 in the country because I don't think anyone expected us to beat both UNC and Michigan St. even though ranking wise we are favored to.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
perfectchaos007 said:
Longhorns are legit. like Sto0ge said, if we bet Michigan St. we should be rewarded with #1 in the country because I don't think anyone expected us to beat both UNC and Michigan St. even though ranking wise we are favored to.
Pssh, everyone expected you to beat UNC. UNC has dumbass, young guards who like to get shredded while the bright lights are on. Michigan St was supremely overrated as well. Texas is #2 in the country for a reason man.

DY_nasty said:
Pssh, everyone expected you to beat UNC. UNC has dumbass, young guards who like to get shredded while the bright lights are on. Michigan St was supremely overrated as well. Texas is #2 in the country for a reason man.

Well not really. I mean, this is still really early in the season. It's not even new years yet. We just saw how overrated Tenessee was. They lost big to a team that Texas curb stomped...and Tenessee was ranked #7!! my point is that we still have a lot to prove, and if we beat Michigan St. I think we'll deserve a #1 ranking. But I realize this isn't football and the top 65 still have a chance to win it all in the end :lol :lol

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
perfectchaos007 said:
Well not really. I mean, this is still really early in the season. It's not even new years yet. We just saw how overrated Tenessee was. They lost big to a team that Texas curb stomped...and Tenessee was ranked #7!! my point is that we still have a lot to prove, and if we beat Michigan St. I think we'll deserve a #1 ranking. But I realize this isn't football and the top 65 still have a chance to win it all in the end :lol :lol
Tenn will always find a way to disappoint. Its the only thing they've ever been consistent at. I bet the girls team beats up on the guys and makes them pick up their tampons.

DY_nasty said:
Tenn will always find a way to disappoint. Its the only thing they've ever been consistent at. I bet the girls team beats up on the guys and makes them pick up their tampons.

ew, and they're basketball girls too. the sport with the least attractive girls aside from bowling

only 2 top-25 games tonight.

Drexel at (3)Kentucky - 7pm, ESPNU
AR Pine-Bluff at (15)Kansas St - 8pm, ESPN360

i'm headed out to the UK game. should we win, itll be win 2000, and there will a post-game celebration at Rupp. I'm pumped, and dont want to be let down. I'll update the OP with this week's games and standings tonight/tomorrow.

2000 wins. 12-0. Damn awesome game. Our "C" team played like the last 10 minutes, and did alright.

Next game Wednesday at 1pm, going for win 13!

Seth C

Go big blue. UK2K and all that silly stuff. I almost miss one more game while over here in the UK. Home just in time for the heart of the season.

Seth C said:
Go big blue. UK2K and all that silly stuff. I almost miss one more game while over here in the UK. Home just in time for the heart of the season.

I'm going to be back in Ashland for a week starting tomorrow. I'm so excited to eat some good f'n food in America.

Branduil

Karakand said:
I love how he shot us out of the game in the second half against Notre Dame.

Surely there is SOMEONE who can take some of his minutes, right? Shit play Mustafa Abdul-Hamid if we're gonna look bad might as well do it with walkons instead of dudes that beat women.
Obviously he has intangibles that no one else on the roster can reproduce.

ezrarh

Doubt anybody cares but Cornell won over St Johns tonight. First time we've beaten a Big East team in 40 years.

StoOgE

Looking forward to tommorow nights games.

Gonna get me some Wiener-schnitzel before tip off.

bucsfan0210 said:
kaboom did you get one of them t shirts?

UK2K!!!

and the commemorative poster and special newspaper printing (which printed the tipoff of tonights game, thats a decent turnaround from image snapping to printing to having them all at the arena for post game).

looks like we'll literally be 14-0 going into the louisville game, which we should win hands down.

then we'll open SEC play with UGA coming into our house, so we should win that too.

the first questionmark now for me is playing AT florida. florida may be down, and losing to teams like richmond, but they also beat michigan state, and the game is in their house. granted, we did beat uconn at MSG, and unc at rupp, and indiana at assembly hall (our record there is god awful), but SEC play...teams get real in conference play. so i am legitimately looking at a 16-0 record going into SEC play.

anyways, i want to see how the other top10 teams are doing when they hit conference play, as they'll be who we'll be up against in March.

and i'll say it again - this UK team learns every game, and gets better every game. tonight's game was the best 'complete' performance we've had yet. we put our "c" team in with 9:45 left to play, and they kept our lead at about 45. cousins played for 14 minutes! and had 18 points, 13 rebounds, and 2 steals! our freshmen are growing up and gaining experience day in and day out. this season has been awesome so far.

Seth C

vas_a_morir said:
I'm going to be back in Ashland for a week starting tomorrow. I'm so excited to eat some good f'n food in America.

Don't forget to have a big Giovanni's pizza with their red salad dressing to dip it in. Mmm.

Cal is playing at Kansas tonight. I doubt the Bears have enough weapons to win this one on the road, but it'll be a good experience for the team. The pre-conference schedule has been brutal for Cal, and hopefully that'll pay dividends when the Pac-10 season starts in January.

Seth C

beelzebozo said:
god i love ashland.

The absolute best Giovanni's is Pizza Den in Ivel. I get one every time I go home, even though there is one in Georgetown. No other Giovanni's is quite as good.

jjasper

GodfatherX said:
so can the NCAA make a school vacate a 2000th win like they can 2 final fours?

Yeah just ask Bobby Bowden which coach has the most wins all time.

max_cool said:
You guys need to stop playing the Pac 10 in all sports

yeah. In reality any team we play that has anything remotely close to an organized defense can beat us pretty easily. Luckily the only coach in the SEC that did that got fired last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom