• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Basketball 2009-2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
LOL thats pathetic, even for Huckleberry. He gets away with so much bullshit because the NC media eats out of his hands where K gets reamed by the press as being selfish and paranoid for joking that Obama should stick to politics when picking arch rival UNC to win it all last season. What a load of shit.

Canova

Banned
404Ender said:
http://live-blogs.fayobserver.com/a...reaks-out-over-heckler,-asks-everyone-else-to

Weird...

Even as a Duke fan I have a lot of respect for Roy. I would never expect him to do something like this, and I'd certainly be pissed if Coach K did it in Cameron.

wow, Roy is a fucking douche. A couple of titles made his head and ego too big. What an arrogant POS.

here's the incident caught on tape

http://www.wralsportsfan.com/voices/blogpost/6605643/

can't wait till the Jayhawks punk his ass once more in the tournament, since he's too scared to meet them during regular season

UK should be number 3 now with the nova loss. Things are looking good.
We should be undefeated going into our game with the dirty cards.

And jeez the Cats fans in here gotta be more positive. Just sit back and enjoy the ride, we are winning! Just remember how bad last year was.

And we are a good team! Wall is POY candidate no doubt, Patterson is an all American, and every one else is growing up nicely. Ramon is playing excellent defense, Cousins is a beast when he comes to play, Orton is a excellent contribution on the defensive side, Bledsoe can drain it, Miller can shoot when he's on, and Dodson has shown some good versatility.

Oh yeah and it was nice to see Liggins get a minute in the IU game :lol

Any who go cats!

Shame this thread is so dead. College BB >>> College FB/NBA/NFL/Tiger

I swear there were a ton more college bb fans a few years back. Maybe things will warm up once conference play starts.

Anyways, new polls out today

AP Top 25
1. Kansas (61) 9-0 1,620
2. Texas (1) 8-0 1,512
3. Kentucky (1) 10-0 1,486
4. Purdue 9-0 1,426
5. Syracuse (2) 10-0 1,388
6. West Virginia 7-0 1,315
7. Duke 7-1 1,137
8. Villanova 9-1 1,107
9. Tennessee 7-1 1,104
10. North Carolina 8-2 1,039
11. Georgetown 8-0 1,008
12. Michigan State 8-2 922
13. Florida 8-1 864
14. Connecticut 6-2 762
15. Gonzaga 8-2 505
16. Texas Tech 9-0 492
17. Kansas State 9-1 391
18. Ohio State 7-2 383
19. New Mexico 10-0 364
20. Mississippi 8-1 334
21. Butler 7-3 257
22. Georgia Tech 6-1 253
23. Texas A&M 8-2 221
24. Washington 6-2 179
25. Cincinnati 6-2 174

Coaches Top 25

1. Kansas (30) 9-0 774
2. Texas 8-0 735
3. Kentucky (1) 10-0 701
4. Purdue 9-0 675
5. Syracuse 10-0 658
6. West Virginia 7-0 631
7. Duke 7-1 547
8. Tennessee 7-1 528
9. Villanova 9-1 524
10. North Carolina 8-2 497
11. Georgetown 8-0 494
12. Michigan State 8-2 423
13. Florida 8-1 367
14. Connecticut 6-2 358
15. Georgia Tech 6-1 229
15. Gonzaga 8-2 229
17. Butler 7-3 184
18. Ohio State 7-2 176
19. New Mexico 10-0 164
20. Texas Tech 9-0 150
21. Washington 6-2 146
22. Kansas State 9-1 136
23. UNLV 7-1 112
24. Clemson 8-2 110
25. Mississippi 8-1 77

Thought the Illini might break in this week, but beating 2 ranked teams and blowing out WMU was deemed not enough, which prob means no Top 25 for another 2 weeks. DJ Richardson is the next Dee Brown.

HoTHiTTeR

Movin on up!

OTTO.GIF

Seth C

Sorry fellow Cat fans. I'd be more active but right now I'm following the action from the other UK, which is rather difficult. I'll be back in the bluegrass soon enough (and before the Louisville game). I can't wait. Go big blue.

Well, Firex has disappeared and I live in a different country, so college BB thread is of course going to be a little deader than usual.

EDIT: whoa, SethC, you are in a different country, too?

SyNapSe

beelzebozo said:
any good games tonight? what're the big upcoming ones to see, if not?

most schools won't play much this week due to finals. There are some nice matchups going down saturday

SyNapSe

beelzebozo said:
i really want to see kansas and texas play, to see if they deserve those spots.

Texas plays North Carolina this weekend so that should be fun to watch. I don't think Kansas deserves to be no. 1 now. The team is still trying to figure out who is going to fill what roles and we're playing to many guys. Normally, by this point a couple of guys playing time has been whittled down to nothing but scrap minutes even though they expected to play.

I think Brady Morningstar and Jeff Withey will be able to start playing this weekend or next week. I think we have way too much backcourt depth even after transfers and redshirting a couple of guys. Self is going to have to piss 2-3 guys off or really hurt chemistry playing so many.

SyNapSe said:
Texas plays North Carolina this weekend so that should be fun to watch. I don't think Kansas deserves to be no. 1 now. The team is still trying to figure out who is going to fill what roles and we're playing to many guys. Normally, by this point a couple of guys playing time has been whittled down to nothing but scrap minutes even though they expected to play.

I think Brady Morningstar and Jeff Withey will be able to start playing this weekend or next week. I think we have way too much backcourt depth even after transfers and redshirting a couple of guys. Self is going to have to piss 2-3 guys off or really hurt chemistry playing so many.

When do you think is Kansas' first real test?

SyNapSe

vas_a_morir said:
When do you think is Kansas' first real test?

Well, I imagine they already had it when they managed a total of 57 points against Memphis.
We have 6 games before conference season starts and 4 are pretty tough games I'd think (or at least the teams were expected to be good). Michigan, Cal, @Temple, @Tenn.

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
Scheyer with 22-4-5 with 4 minutes to go in the first half. 7-7 and 5-5 for 3's. I don't understand why he doesn't get more attention nationally, his season assist-TO ratio is absurd.

SyNapSe said:
Well, I imagine they already had it when they managed a total of 57 points against Memphis.
We have 6 games before conference season starts and 4 are pretty tough games I'd think (or at least the teams were expected to be good). Michigan, Cal, @Temple, @Tenn.

Oh yeah, I forgot about the Memphis game. that was a good one.

jjasper

SyNapSe said:

We aren't very good. Probably the most overrated team in the country.

DJ_Tet

Banned
404Ender said:
Scheyer with 22-4-5 with 4 minutes to go in the first half. 7-7 and 5-5 for 3's. I don't understand why he doesn't get more attention nationally, his season assist-TO ratio is absurd.

He's doing a fantastic job, however the UConn game showed that he's still never going to be a true point. Any team with athletic guards will press us into oblivion. Scheyer was barely able to advance to midcourt the last 10 minutes of that game, much less get Duke a decent shot.

I love Scheyer, but damn if I don't wish he had a real PG to play with. I'm holding out hope that Dawkins can develop into that in time this year, we'll see.

sorry guys i'd update the op w/the weekly ranks and big games of the week, but i'm currently in pitt recovering from brain surgery. it's a long story, and it's painful, which is why i'm up at 4:15am.

maybe next monday, when new polls come out, i'll be back in form. UK will hit 2000 wins, the final 2 weeks of non conference/first week of conference play will be coming up, and college basketball will be in full force.

until then i couldnt even tell you when UK plays next. i think it's saturday, but i'm not sure.

Seth C

vas_a_morir said:
Well, Firex has disappeared and I live in a different country, so college BB thread is of course going to be a little deader than usual.

EDIT: whoa, SethC, you are in a different country, too?

Yeah, I'm in Scotland at the moment. Spending a month seeing some of Europe. Where are you?

Ole Miss getting crushed in the second half by UTEP. I doubt Ole Miss will still be ranked next week.

edit: lol nvm Ole Miss made the comeback after being down by 12 with 5 minutes to go! UTEP didn't score a single point in the last 5 minutes :lol

Guess that's why they're UTEP

edit2: ESPN was wrong, the game actually went into overtime. But Ole Miss will still win with all the momentum.

NewLib

Banned
NCAA really needs to stop expanding Division 1. What is the point of having 100+ teams that are never ever competitive even within their own conference?

Outdoor Miner said:

BEST SCHOOL: Michigan State
It's hard to go against North Carolina, which went to four Final Fours and won two titles, or Florida, which in 2006-07 became college basketball's first repeat champion in 15 years. But while the Spartans only won a single championship (in 2000), they also went to four Final Fours. Moreover, unlike the other two candidates, the Spartans made the NCAA tournament every year this decade. That is a remarkable achievement in an era when the best teams so frequently lose young players to the pros.

Alright, go Spartans!

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Looking forward to my trip to big D this weekend.

Texas also plays Michigan State on Tuesday night.

Should be some good games, but they looked a lot better when it was two top 5 matchups when I bought the tickets to the games.

Texas also has 15 dollar ticket packages for 3 home games over the Winter break that I jumped on. So I am going to be to more college basketball games in a three week period since I was in school and tickets were free.

So after the Okie St. win over Stanford yesterday, the Big 12 is now 9-2 against the Pac 10 this year. Only one game in the series has yet to be played ( Texas Tech vs. Stanford )

Wow, I remember when the Pac-10 used to be respected in Basketball. UCLA, USC, Stanford, Washington....Not anymore.

StoOgE said:
Looking forward to my trip to big D this weekend.

Texas also plays Michigan State on Tuesday night.

Should be some good games, but they looked a lot better when it was two top 5 matchups when I bought the tickets to the games.

Texas also has 15 dollar ticket packages for 3 home games over the Winter break that I jumped on. So I am going to be to more college basketball games in a three week period since I was in school and tickets were free.

It's not so easy anymore now that our team is really good. I went early to the Texas/USC game with my free All season pass ticket and one of two student sections was already filled up. I still got in though, but you definitely have to arrive early to get in for free now. Same for volleyball games. Texas plays for the national title on Saturday

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
perfectchaos007 said:
So after the Okie St. win over Stanford yesterday, the Big 12 is now 9-2 against the Pac 10 this year. Only one game in the series has yet to be played ( Texas Tech vs. Stanford )

Wow, I remember when the Pac-10 used to be respected in Basketball. UCLA, USC, Stanford, Washington....Not anymore.

It's not so easy anymore now that our team is really good. I went early to the Texas/USC game with my free All season pass ticket and one of two student sections was already filled up. I still got in though, but you definitely have to arrive early to get in for free now. Same for volleyball games. Texas plays for the national title on Saturday

We went to the Final Four my Senior year and TJ Ford swept the national player of the year awards. I'm not that old :lol

I was part of the original crew that started camping out before basketball games. It was usually only about 30 of us, but for the big games (OU back when they were a top 10 team, Kansan, etc) it would get packed the night before the game.

They do have student seating in the mezzanine as well if you show up super late. It sucks to sit up there though. The Ozone (South side) is the place to be. The North side has the hellraisers and band and sucks as a result.

StoOgE said:
We went to the Final Four my Senior year and TJ Ford swept the national player of the year awards. I'm not that old :lol

I was part of the original crew that started camping out before basketball games. It was usually only about 30 of us, but for the big games (OU back when they were a top 10 team, Kansan, etc) it would get packed the night before the game.

They do have student seating in the mezzanine as well if you show up super late. It sucks to sit up there though. The Ozone (South side) is the place to be. The North side has the hellraisers and band and sucks as a result.

Yeah i got stuck in the north side because south side was full. and why do you hate the hellraisers so much? Sure they are all a bunch of drunken lunatics that paint their chests, but it makes for good television material. Otherwise our student section is pretty tame. even in football

sorry, im finally "home" and can continue recovery here, which means an update today, then another one monday for next week's polls:

where we stand as of Dec. 18, 2009

Associated Press Top 25
1 Kansas
2 Texas
3 Kentucky
4 Purdue
5 Syracuse
6 West Virginia
7 Duke
8 Villanova
9 Tennessee
10 North Carolina
11 Georgetown
12 Michigan State
13 Florida
14 Connecticut
15 Gonzaga
16 Texas Tech
17 Kansas State
18 Ohio State
19 New Mexico
20 Mississippi
21 Butler
22 Georgia Tech
23 Texas A&M
24 Washington
25 Cincinnati

Coaches Poll
1 Kansas
2 Texas
3 Kentucky
4 Purdue
5 Syracuse
6 West Virginia
7 Duke
8 Tennessee
9 Villanova
10 North Carolina
11 Georgetown
12 Michigan State
13 Florida
14 Connecticut
15 Georgia Tech
15 Gonzaga
17 Butler
18 Ohio State
19 New Mexico
20 Texas Tech
21 Washington
22 Kansas State
23 UNLV
24 Clemson
25 Mississippi

not much movement at the top except for villanova it seems. for AP, top 6 are undefeated, so is #11 georgetown, and still michigan state and UNC, with 2 losses, are #12 and #10. interesting.

games to watch this week
12:00 PM ET Michigan at (1) Kansas
2:00 PM ET (10) North Carolina vs. (2) Texas*
4:00 PM ET Austin Peay at (3) Kentucky
4:00 PM ET Ball State vs. (4) Purdue*
7:00 PM ET St. Bonaventure at (5) Syracuse
2:00 PM ET (6) West Virginia at Cleveland State
4:00 PM ET (15) Gonzaga vs. (7) Duke*
4:30 PM ET (8) Tennessee at USC
2:00 PM ET (9) Villanova at Fordham
7:00 PM ET Old Dominion at (11) Georgetown
12:00 PM ET IPFW at (12) Michigan State
6:30 PM ET Richmond vs. (13) Florida*
2:00 PM ET Xavier at (17) Butler
4:00 PM ET Delaware State at (18) Ohio State
9:00 PM ET Creighton at (19) New Mexico
8:05 PM ET (20) Texas Tech at Wichita State
10:00 PM ET Portland at (21) Washington
TBA (22) Kansas State at Alabama
10:00 PM ET USC Upstate at (23) UNLV
7:30 PM ET Charleston at (24) Clemson
2:00 PM ET Centenary at (25) Mississippi
(* game played at a neutral location)

UNC v. Texas is the game to watch this saturday.
the entire top 25 plays tomorrow, except #'s 14 and 16, UCONN and Texas Tech

good luck to all your teams, because even the non-top 25 is playing a million games tomorrow, and some will rise up!

oh, and austin peay will lose.

SyNapSe

kkaabboomm said:
no one watching michigan/kansas?

I watched it. KU played with actual energy in the first half and really built a good 21 point lead until the 1-3-1 switched the game up.

In the 2nd half, KU coasted and played without energy. They got lucky Michigan couldn't hit the open shots they were getting in the 2nd half. It would have been better for them if the Wolverines could have closed the gap or even got the lead. When Simms went out Michigan just couldn't get it under 11 points.

SyNapSe

Both of these teams are deep with skilled people. Last year was a bit weak in that regard.

Zeller has great touch for NC and for a huge huge man so does Pittman. Carolina, may well lose this game but let's face it. It doesn't really matter in the tourney. Things I like about Carolina so far is that there upper-class type guys who've been around a few seasons seem to be contributing positively. Graves and Deon Thompson seem much improved from years past when I thought of them as mostly defensive minute-eaters.

Bowser

SyNapSe said:
Both of these teams are deep with skilled people. Last year was a bit weak in that regard.

Zeller has great touch for NC and for a huge huge man so does Pittman. Carolina, may well lose this game but let's face it. It doesn't really matter in the tourney. Things I like about Carolina so far is that there upper-class type guys who've been around a few seasons seem to be contributing positively. Graves and Deon Thompson seem much improved from years past when I thought of them as mostly defensive minute-eaters.

Thompson was MUCH better last year as a complement to Hansbrough. He's looked pretty terrible (3-11 shooting, at least 3 turnovers) today and against all the good competition we've played. He'll drop 20-10 on cupcakes, but teams with real length eat him up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom