• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Basketball 2009-2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karakand

Outdoor Miner said:
Kentucky won't make it past the Sweet 16.
I remember you said something like this during UCLA's first of three Final 4s so I'm kinda inclined to put a bet against this at some crazy online gambling site. Even with Cal "coaching" them.

NewLib

Banned
How is UT not better? They lost nobody from last year. I mean they still have three of the five best players from a team that was ranked #1 two years ago and they added Hopson who should be the most talented player on the team.

Edit: I think my real question is how is possible for Tyler Smith and JP Prince to regress two straight years.

jjasper

I don't really think tyler smith regressed last year. This year though I don't know what's up with him. But from what I have heard it is a matter of work effort and laziness. Hopson apparently won't do anything in practice but work on his 3 pointer, JP thinks he is a lot better than he actually is, Chism is has absolutely no bball iq. Pearl is apparently ready for the seniors to leave.

Cereal

Totally agree with you on Smith. I think he sees the writing on the wall now that he's not going to get much of a shot in the NBA. He's too much of a tweener, and I think he's just half-assing it knowing that.

JP is inconsistent as shit, and Wheezy is a space cadet. Hopson is another "supposed to be 1 & done" that was/is too lazy to put in the work to be great. I like Tatum, though he's pretty streaky as a shooter.

We'll should make the tourney this year, but we won't go deep unless Pearl works some magic and gets these guys to play like they give a shit.

NewLib

Banned
This is one of the most offensively inept games I have ever seen.

Edit: UT reminds me of the UK offense two years ago after Patterson got hurt when they would just stand around for 30 sec then Crawford or Bradley would take a jumper.

SyNapSe

NewLib said:
This is one of the most offensively inept games I have ever seen.

Edit: UT reminds me of the UK offense two years ago after Patterson got hurt when they would just stand around for 30 sec then Crawford or Bradley would take a jumper.

I dunno, apparently looking at the scoreboard tOSU and Wisky battled to a classic Big Televen score of 43-65. You can't out-inept the televen.

Kevtones

Holy shit balls at the Oregon @ WSU game.

We won in 2OT but I'll be surprised if it's not called one of the most bs gimmes ever :lol

Expect to hear about it.

jjasper

:lol :lol :lol Well Pearl just got his excuse to kick off some players. I am pretty sure our school is full out dumbasses.

NewLib

Banned
Well WVU lost yesterday and Syracuse has already lost today. Four Unbeatens Left.

Three play today. Texas has a bunny, but Kansas (at Temple) and Kentucky (vs Louisville) could have tough games and both should be competitive.

Other good games:
Villanova at Marquette - Must win for Marquette who needs a statement win to boost their tournament resume.
Michigan State at Northwestern - Michigan State needs to beat a good team. This would be the game. This isnt a live or die game for Northwestern but you always want to win your home games in conference.
Oklahoma State at Rhode Island - Big game for RI. This win would really help the argument that A10 might need 3-4 teams in.
Arizona State at USC - In a conference that might only get 3 bids, this looks like a matchup between two teams fighting to be the third best team.

Seth C

NewLib said:
Well WVU lost yesterday and Syracuse has already lost today. Four Unbeatens Left.

Three play today. Texas has a bunny, but Kansas (at Temple) and Kentucky (vs Louisville) could have tough games and both should be competitive.

Other good games:
Villanova at Marquette - Must win for Marquette who needs a statement win to boost their tournament resume.
Michigan State at Northwestern - Michigan State needs to beat a good team. This would be the game. This isnt a live or die game for Northwestern but you always want to win your home games in conference.
Oklahoma State at Rhode Island - Big game for RI. This win would really help the argument that A10 might need 3-4 teams in.
Arizona State at USC - In a conference that might only get 3 bids, this looks like a matchup between two teams fighting to be the third best team.

Yeah. Two went down in two days. Hopefully we escape Louisville today. Rivalry games are always tricky, and we are young and I never know if we will show up to play (though we manage to win...so far).

One more hour until judgement day.

Buzz has been crazy...saw a spread at 8 points and I thought it was generous to us.

The team is clearly growing, but we still have a fair amount of flaws. Meanwhile, John Wall gets pulled before he could easily break an all-time assists record. If you've watched each team's games, it's not rocket science when it comes to figuring out the underdog here.

Still, both teams will bring their A-game, Pitino and Calipari battle again in an even bigger rivalry...this'll be a fun one to watch. I'm respectful of reality but I will no doubt root for my Cards to pull out a convincing win.

GO CARDS!!!
2yllm3p.gif

DJ_Tet

Banned
Rivalry games are something different, but Louisville lost to UNC Charlotte and then to Western Carolina. Kentucky logically should have no problem talent-wise.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
MightyHealthy said:
Still, both teams will bring their A-game, Pitino and Calipari battle again in an even bigger rivalry...this'll be a fun one to watch. I'm respectful of reality but I will no doubt root for my Cards to pull out a convincing win.

1996, umass-uk games (they played two that year if i recall correctly) were fantastic. i was twelve, and i thought tony delk and marcus camby were gods.

SyNapSe

oh wow, Illini and Zags going to OT. Zags were leading by a ton earlier when I heard the score on the radio driving

Gonzaga beats Illinois in OT, that was a weak last shot by Illinois. Their coach looked pretty pissed too, he threw the whiteboard on the ground.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
lakesideflight said:
Gonzaga beats Illinois in OT, that was a weak last shot by Illinois. Their coach looked pretty pissed too, he threw the whiteboard on the ground.

maybe he saw a cockroach and was just trying to kill it

SyNapSe

crazy start to the UK vs Louisville game. Cousins working some ground and pound there, I'm surprised he's going to stay in the game.

Seth C

BakedPigeon said:
No ejection? I guess if your pissed off at someone you could elbow them in the face from now on and just risk a technical

Any idea what was up with Swopeshire though? I think he was involved with the first 4 fouls of the game. Beldsoe seemed pissed. Did he talk trash before the game or something? I don't know why everyone seemed to be all on him to start the game.

SyNapSe

BakedPigeon said:
No ejection? I guess if your pissed off at someone you could elbow them in the face from now on and just risk a technical

That was definitely a fortuitous series for Kentucky. Cousins throws an elbow, 2 lousiville players are called for retaliatory fouls and somehow Cousins ends up shooting free throws.

Seth C

SyNapSe said:
That was definitely a fortuitous series for Kentucky. Cousins throws an elbow, 2 lousiville players are called for retaliatory fouls and somehow Cousins ends up shooting free throws.

Yeah. Cousins really should be gone. Strike this game from the records and give a win to Louisville. :)

jakncoke

Banned
Nice signature win today. Too bad I missed most of it because Fox Sports are being douches this year. Nearly every game has been not on. I've seen more Pitt on Espn channels than Fox Sports..assholes

SyNapSe

Seth C said:
Yeah. Cousins really should be gone. Strike this game from the records and give a win to Louisville. :)

Hey, I didn't say that. It tends to happen that way where the retaliator gets the worse punishment. Outside of that early run by Kentucky this is a pretty low scoring half so far.

Seth C

18-10 with 4 minutes to play in the half? This is one of the saddest basketball games I have ever watched. Hah.

SyNapSe said:
Hey, I didn't say that. It tends to happen that way where the retaliator gets the worse punishment. Outside of that early run by Kentucky this is a pretty low scoring half so far.

I'll say this. As a Kentucky fan, had he been ejected I wouldn't have been able to complain too much.

suaveric

lakesideflight said:

He was calling for a timeout and didn't get one. The Illini refuse to win a game this year the easy way, always playing from behind.

Kentucky is passing the rivalry game test so far. But how does the Orange lose to Pitt?? I thought Syracuse looked like a top 3 team but they lose at home to Pitt?? Anything can happen on a given day I guess

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Seth C said:
John Wall really shouldn't be allowed to play college basketball. It isn't fair.

it just looked like he said, "excuse me guys, i need to go score some points," and they said, "ok!"

just waltzed right the fuck by them.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
perfectchaos007 said:
That was the worst game I've seen Texas play in a long time. So much for winning every game by double digits...

Yeah, I just got back.

Texas actually played pretty well. They just couldn't hit a fucking basket and A&M CC was burying 30 foot jump shots with a hand in their face.

Execution was good, defense was great. Rebounding was certainly off today.. shooting was abysmal.. and a lot of the shots we missed were within 5 feet of the basket. Can't do that against better competition.

Kevtones

Holy shit Oregon is up 14 with less than a minute to play on #16 Washington on the road. After winning 2 Pac 10 games last year, we've matched that on the first road trip of the season. Sure the Pac is down but fuck if this isn't surprising/awesome (especially after the Rose Bowl loss).

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
I Push Fat Kids said:
Holy shit Oregon is up 14 with less than a minute to play on #16 Washington on the road. After winning 2 Pac 10 games last year, we've matched that on the first road trip of the season. Sure the Pac is down but fuck if this isn't surprising/awesome (especially after the Rose Bowl loss).

Washington is starting to look pretty overrated at this point.

Nice win for Oregon earlier today.

Cal's playing pretty well and up 20 on Stanford at HT. Only bad news is that first-off-the-bench Jorge Gutierrez went down with what looked like a pretty serious knee injury about 10 minutes in. :(

I'm just going to hop in here and say I'm proud of my cats. The early fouls were an extension of some post national anthem tunnel jawing between the teams.

UK remains undefeated, and heads into conference play 15-0, and some real growth evident in its players.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom