• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Basketball 2009-2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ionas

Just in case anyone didn't see, Arkansas' Rotnei Clarke had 51 points tonight off 15-21 (13-17 3pt) shooting...

Hot damn...

Silkworm

pxleyes said:
:lol :lol :lol
Well we might make fun of UGA, but I sure hope UF manages to win both of their games against them!

UF needs to make the NCAA tournament and any loss to UGA would definitely hurt (though I'm hoping UF's SOS being tougher will give them a little more leeway should they have any "bad" losses) . "Needs" may be a bit strong, but I'm hoping this year's team with the additions of Boyton, Murphy, and Macklin plus another year for Parson, Tyus, Shipman, Kadji, and Walker will help get them over the NIT hump and into the NCAA tournament. Tishman was a nice late pickup even if all he does is simply spell Walker, so I have no great expectations from him. Werner will be dependable but that's about it (but that's enough). Macklin I'm just not sure of. At least he lets Tyus move to power forward. Oh well, if Nick was still around I'd be a lot more optimistic, but even so, I think this team will be set to make it back to the NCAA tournament. If they can get past the first round then that would just be gravy.

Silkworm

Ionas said:
Just in case anyone didn't see, Arkansas' Rotnei Clarke had 51 points tonight off 15-21 (13-17 3pt) shooting...

Hot damn...
Holy crap, 130 - 68. Is Pelphrey doing the 60 minutes of hell already? Damn, when UF goes to Arky, that could be a scary game, as long as Arky doesn't go in the tank like they did last year. I'm thinking they'll do a bit better in SEC play than last year....

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
I know you guys are all into your big teams, but I got back from the Duquesne opener a little while ago. Awesome game, we won pretty decisively. I feel like there's so much emotion and personality in every game. Maybe it's because we're a small school or maybe everybody feels that way. Some musings for anyone interested:

Melquan Bolding (#23) took a pretty rough flagrant foul early on and was down on the ground for several minutes. I know him and he's the coolest guy ever. We were all worried but he got up, made 1/2 of his penalty shots even after being so roughed up, and went on to have an incredible game and lead our team in points. It was a great feeling and I can't wait to see him and congratulate him.

My favorite player, Bill Clark (#30), went out of the first half with 0 points. He was just not in the game at all. In the second half he picked his game back up and played a bit more like himself. He finished well in terms of points but most were layups or dunks. He just wasn't draining 3's like I know he can tonight.

The big man Morakinyo Williams (#5) saw his first playing time for Duquesne tonight. He looked fairly nervous out there, which I guess is normal since it's been about 2 years since he's played a game (initially signed at Kentucky and then transferred here so he couldn't play until this season). I'm sure he'll get back in a groove and do better. I do wonder why he wasn't used for the opening tip-off, since the opposing Center could not have competed at all.

Our opponent was Nicholls State, who certainly isn't a big name at all. They had one player though who I was thoroughly impressed by. Antoly Bose (#31) was an absolute beast and huge threat from 3-point range. He played literally every minute of the game and kept his intensity up the whole time.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Anyone else laughing at Miss. State? If not, we should take the time to do that now. :lol

NewLib

Banned
mre said:
Anyone else laughing at Miss. State? If not, we should take the time to do that now. :lol

Vanardo is a great player but he cant be that entire team for them to win. But yes lol indeed.

Whew--a friend called me an hour before the game tonight with an extra ticket. Rupp was rocking. Good crowd and spurts of good play.

The difference with Wall on this team will be night and day, if the exhibitions were anything to go by.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
TheBranca18 said:
It's funny, but I bet one of the Top 10 teams in CBK could beat the Bobcats. They're horrific.
stfu, gtfo

Isiah could ride up to MSG and blowout the Knicks with his garbage filled FIU roster. Thats horrific.

PotatoeMasher said:
Whew--a friend called me an hour before the game tonight with an extra ticket. Rupp was rocking. Good crowd and spurts of good play.

The difference with Wall on this team will be night and day, if the exhibitions were anything to go by.

I hope so. Wall is a top prospect, and we still looked pretty good without him.

iamblades

PotatoeMasher said:

^^

Bledsoe plays much better with wall in the game, even.

He outruns everyone else, so he ends up alone against 2-3 defenders on the other end of the break(he made a few circus layups in that fashion tonight, of course).

Wall and Bledsoe running up the court in tandem is going to be scary for defenders.

Jay Sosa

Being from Europe I'm not up to date regarding the recruits: Who are some freshman that could make an impact this year and/or will be fun to watch?

Thanks!

Btw. Found this:

Class of 2009

Is this a accurate list?

Malleymal

You now belong to FMT.
So i just got home from a long night and I went to watch Monmouth Play Isiah's FIU team...

We beat them by 30 points..... FIU is garbage and how the hell did they lose to UNC by 15 or so... It was the first game in our Brand new stadium and the kids were ruthless.... Chanting "no means no" and "Magic hates you" it was a crazy night... I think they have the highlights on ESPN but Isiah has a loooooong season ahead of him.

just woke up after a long fun night. side note: Pearl Harbor really isn't any better when drunk.

anyways, game thoughts:

we were sloppy in the first half. Patterson kicked some ass, but we were sloppy. in the last couple minutes of the first half we 'stopped playing'. half two we stepped it up, at the expense of some defense in the later part of that half. Bledsoe was unreal in half two. see this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rU_gws8-fTQ and amaze at his play-making ability. his ankle is still a bit sore, but it didnt show. he blocked a shot. the kid is 6'1 and jumped to block a shot. he had 7 rebounds. he played 38 minutes. he scored 24 points. the kid is absolutely unreal. i cannot wait until monday when he and wall are playing together. the speed...man oh man.

with that said, we didnt do much DDM, bc, as Cal said, moorehead state played a bunch of zone. i love how when cousins gets into foul trouble, we have orton. and harrelson. and stevenson. and patterson. 6'11, 6'10, 6'10, 6'9, and 6'9. only two kids, wall and bledsoe, are shorter than 6'6.

but we were sloppy. we gave up easy baskets, we stopped playing at the end of both halves. wall didnt play bc of ncaa regs. but hood didnt touch the floor either. not sure why. and liggins, who missed BOTH exhibition games, didnt touch the floor either. no one knows whats going on there.

anyways, miami-oh is up next. we're at 1989 wins now. 11 more.

cashman

Banned
Wow I didn't know that texas had such a strong recruiting class. I need to start paying more attention to BB recruiting. Hoping for a Final four appearance this year.

NewLib

Banned
John Wall! You know Im not even mad. The way Miami was hitting shots, I think any team would be lucky to beat them. I have never seen a team hit shots like that even while guarded.

DJ_Tet

Banned
Malleymal said:
So i just got home from a long night and I went to watch Monmouth Play Isiah's FIU team...

We beat them by 30 points..... FIU is garbage and how the hell did they lose to UNC by 15 or so... It was the first game in our Brand new stadium and the kids were ruthless.... Chanting "no means no" and "Magic hates you" it was a crazy night... I think they have the highlights on ESPN but Isiah has a loooooong season ahead of him.

Heckling Isiah is the best. I got him a couple of years ago when he was coaching the Knicks, my gf got some seats like 6 rows back right at the player tunnel for my b-day. Every time he walked by I screamed at him trying to get a reaction.

Finally I asked him if he was going to Red Lobster after the game but he wouldn't even acknowledge that. What was hilarious was watching the security guys tense up as I stood up over the tunnel to scream at Zeke. I guess in retrospect I did look a little 'suspect' :lol

2 a.m. ESPN/ESPN360.com San Diego State vs. Saint Mary's
4 a.m. ESPN/ESPN360.com Northern Colorado vs. Hawaii
6 a.m. ESPN/ESPN360.com Monmouth vs. St. Peter's

those are some crazy tipoff times. But the Hawaii game is at 11pm their local time

NewLib said:
The way Miami was hitting shots, I think any team would be lucky to beat them. I have never seen a team hit shots like that even while guarded.

That's my takeaway. Our ball handling and decision making needs improvement, but that's not unexpected when you start three freshmen in November.

Glad that one's over.

Tapiozona

Banned
NewLib said:
John Wall! You know Im not even mad. The way Miami was hitting shots, I think any team would be lucky to beat them. I have never seen a team hit shots like that even while guarded.

It doesn't matter. It's Kentucky. The media's golden child with more McDonald's All Americans than you can shake a stick at vs....
Miami (Ohio)
Kentucky should have won by 30 on a bad day. Theres no excuse and I hope they drop a good 10 spots for a piss poor showing like that. (of course they won't because as mentioned before..the media's darlings and they still "won" even though its honestly a win for Miami(OH), not them)

NewLib

Banned
Tapiozona said:
It doesn't matter. It's Kentucky. The media's golden child with more McDonald's All Americans than you can shake a stick at vs....
Miami (Ohio)
Kentucky should have won by 30 on a bad day. Theres no excuse and I hope they drop a good 10 spots for a piss poor showing like that. (of course they won't because as mentioned before..the media's darlings and they still "won" even though its honestly a win for Miami(OH), not them)

Did you just call Kentucky the media's golden child?

Are you serious? Really? The same media that has torn Kentucky apart for the last 4 years. That media? If you want media golden child you might want to look at Duke, but Kentucky gets more negative press than positive.

Edit: I do agree they should probably drop a lot of spots. If I had my way they would be out of the top 25. Probably be better for their heads.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Duke will always and forever be the golden child of college basketball.

jjasper

Yeah I really don't think any team coached by Calipari can be considered a "golden child" If anything everyone outside of Lexington wants them to fail and can't wait for the eventual probation.

NewLib

Banned
jjasper said:
Yeah I really don't think any team coached by Calipari can be considered a "golden child" If anything everyone outside of Lexington wants them to fail and can't wait for the eventual probation.

Hell I would go beyond Calipari, I think Kentucky was fairly well hated in the late 80s/90s as well. I remember some media person saying last year that college basketball isnt as fun when the villain (Kentucky) isnt any good.

NewLib

Banned
I think Kentucky is getting a lot of press lately because its an interesting story. An embattled coach, star recruits, a demonized fan base, and really no one knows where they will end up.

What is there to write about Kansas? They are really really really good. Where is the story there? Same with Michigan State.

Personally, I like it when the attention isnt on Kentucky, and Im hoping it dies down a bit once some bigger games start rolling around.

devilhawk

NewLib said:

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
good gravy, saw the highlights from the UK game this morning.

this inspired me to print out a schedule and hang it on my wall. following college ball again for the first time in almost a decade.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
DY_nasty said:
Duke will always and forever be the golden child of college basketball.

Right and ESPN never panders to brain dead zombie "I hate Duke bandwagon" sheeple either. When is the last time you saw a poll on ESPN of the most hated UNC or UK players, or read blogs from their esteemed columnist on how whiney (read white) UNC is. How many articles have you read over the past about the "demise" of Uconn or UK? UK hasn't done shit in a decade. UConn had the same dead period that Duke did from 2004, including NOT making the field of 64 the same year Duke went 22-11 and lost to VCU in 2007, until they finally made the final four last year. Not a peep about them (or the whole agent/handler scandle either) Yes, I know what you're going to say next, BUT DICK VITALE SUCKS YUR DICK ALL DA TYME! You mean the same Vitale that picked UNC to win the title the last 3 years and refers to Dean Smith as Michaelangelo, or will namedrop UK, deify any of their coaches (past and present, he still loves Tubby and Pitino for their UK tenure) at any opportunity? If you haven't figured it out by now Vitale loves any frontrunner and any college that has been a perennial power and he will namedrop them at any opportunity he gets a chance to, especially Duke, UNC and UK. You people who want to insist its not even close, really don't pay attention when he namedrops the other teams.

Does Duke benefit from a lot of media hype? Sure, they're not a top 10 team to me, not right now, but they also get a lot of empty hate from many media outlets, particularly on the internet because its an easy way for cheap hits. Look, if you're a UNC, UMD or ACC fan, hate Duke all you want, we actually have a rivalry. I'd include UK, but you kids need to get over 92, especially when you got revenge in 98, catch up with everyone else. But if you're a fan of a team in the SEC, Big 10, Pac 10, well basically any other conference, try channeling your generic "me too!" hate to a team in your conference that you, I dunno, actually play. If you want to root against Duke because you love upsets, I can get behind that. I do that myself. Damn you Miami of Ohio.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Anyway, enough ranting. I like KU to win it all this year, but I don't have a full final four yet. I like KU, UK and Mich St, I need a 4th team. I don't think anyone in the ACC has the talent at this point to make it this year.

For the ACC, I'm still undecided but here are my preseason picks

1. UNC. Has the most talent in the league. Serious questions in guard play. Depends on how this team improves. The 05-06 heels started off pretty rough but turned out pretty good. I'm tired of being Huckleberry Hound's bitch but he owns the shit out of us right now.

2. Duke. Has most experience and a lot of big bodies, but a lot of unproven players and no athletic wings who can create their own shot. Duke always looks strong at the beginning and tends to fade in March. Did better last year until 'nova kicked the fuck out of us. A guard oriented team would do the same thing this year too.

3. Clemson. My sleeper team that I think can win it all in the ACC. The Booker brothers will terrorize most ACC opponents and I think they'll be better without Oglesby jacking up half court 3 pointers. Only issue with Clemson is Oliver Purnell teams start hot and go cold at the end.

4. Ga Tech. They still have Lawal and now Favors and I think they still have some good guards. I've never been sold on Hewitt as a coach.

5. UMD. May be better than this and should definitely make the tourney. Greivous Vasquez is a prick, I think he's great. He brings a lot to the rivalry. The only catch here is UMD teams strangely struggle when they actually have expectations thrust upon them. Last year everyone expects them to suck, they make the tourney. This year, they have talent and experience, we'll see where they go.

6. WFU. Still some talent on this team but not like last year. Too bad Teague didn't stay one more year. I think Dino's grace period is running out and he needs to perform.

7. BC. BC always does better than I expect them to. No tyrice rice this year though although they have that Trapiani kid. After wake, the talent really drops off here. I think the big 10 wins the challenge this year.

8. VT. May actually be better than BC and Wake. Seth "Evil Elmer Fudd" Greenberg gets the most out of players. I don't particularly like him, but I do respect him.

9. UVA. They have Sylvan Landesberg.....and Sylvan Landesberg. AND they don't have Dave Leito anymore. Lets see how this Tony Bennet guy does

10. FSU. FSU may actually be better than this, I know they lost Toney Douglas, I think they still have Solomon Alabi. Depending on who stayed from last years team, they could rank up as high as 6, but Douglas is a big loss

11. Miami. I like Frank Haith a lot, but no McClinton and I don't see this team doing alot.

12. NC State: Poor Kool Aid Man, Sydney Lowe. Two good things for wolfpack fans. Their recruiting class the next two years seems much improved and all of Sendeks mutinous players are gone. Bad news, Lowe may not be around to oversee the rebuild. NC State fans are insane and they hate playing 3rd fiddle to UNC and Duke in anything. They have no patience when they need it most. Honestly, I'm not sure running off Herb Sendek was the best decision.

KingGondo

Banned
Ionas said:

Hot damn...
He was amazing as a high school player in Oklahoma (all-time leading scorer in the state, as a matter of fact). Really wish OSU could've picked him up, but it's good to see he's living up to the hype. And his name is badass.

truly101 said:
4. Ga Tech. They still have Lawal and now Favors and I think they still have some good guards. I've never been sold on Hewitt as a coach.

National runners-up 2004! my freshman year at GT! Hewitt can also seem to recruit, GT's mentioned along with UK, kansas, etc for a lot of the top of the 2010 class. i think he can coach, too. he took a scrappy team all the way to the national championship game!

bluemax

Banned
This thread needs more ucla lulz. How do you lose at home to Cal State Fullerton when you're 21 point favorites? They hadn't lost to an unranked OOC opponent in something like 37 games. CSUF looked like the better more organized team too.

kkaabboomm said:
Hewitt can also seem to recruit

20061023telfair.jpg

giga

PotatoeMasher said:
Hewitt isn't dumb enough to offer 250k for that scrub. Telfair even later said that the guy who offered him the money wasn't a GT official.

Edit: Here we go: http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=1988156

Telfair, now with the Portland Trail Blazers, never says in the book that the offer came from Georgia Tech. Instead, the book says "a person close to Telfair" said the offer came at a Georgia Tech game in Atlanta from a man who said he represented Tech.

Speaking before the Trail Blazers' game against the New Orleans Hornets Wednesday night, Telfair denied the claim. "Georgia Tech did not recruit me and never spoke to me. That's a false statement and I have no further comment," he said.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
I'm looking forward to seeing Duquesne take on Iowa tonight. I just learned that Melquan Bolding (who took a hard hit last Friday) broke his wrist as a result of that foul and will be out several weeks. I'm impressed he had such an incredible game despite the injury but sad to be missing him for 4-6 weeks. I hope the other guys can pick up the slack.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Emerson said:
I'm looking forward to seeing Duquesne take on Iowa tonight. I just learned that Melquan Bolding (who took a hard hit last Friday) broke his wrist as a result of that foul and will be out several weeks. I'm impressed he had such an incredible game despite the injury but sad to be missing him for 4-6 weeks. I hope the other guys can pick up the slack.

Don't get too excited when you beat them. This years Iowa team would have trouble winning a game in the Missouri Valley or the MAC.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Brian Fellows said:
Don't get too excited when you beat them. This years Iowa team would have trouble winning a game in the Missouri Valley or the MAC.

Hahaha, I know. I know our team is not the best, but I have high hopes. We knocked down Xavier pretty hard last year, and that was an incredible feeling. Just seeing Duquesne make an NCAA appearance would be amazing to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom