• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Basketball 2009-2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
UNC at least looked okay defensively, but holy damn their next 5 games are ridiculous

DY_nasty said:
UNC at least looked okay defensively, but holy damn their next 5 games are ridiculous

11/20 - syracuse (home)
11/23 - gardner-webb (home)
11/29 - nevada (home)
12/01 - michigan state (home)
12/05 - AT UK

yeah, not a bad 5 game stretch out of conference. UK has a short one of those coming up, though it starts with the UNC game.

12/5 - UNC (home)
12/9 - AT UCONN (madison square garden)
12/12 - AT Indiana

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
kkaabboomm said:
11/20 - syracuse (home)
11/23 - gardner-webb (home)
11/29 - nevada (home)
12/01 - michigan state (home)
12/05 - AT UK

yeah, not a bad 5 game stretch out of conference. UK has a short one of those coming up, though it starts with the UNC game.

12/5 - UNC (home)
12/9 - AT UCONN (madison square garden)
12/12 - AT Indiana

Why did you include Indiana? They aren't any good.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
DY_nasty said:
Everyone looks like a top 10 team when they play UK.

even as a UK fan, i'll admit there's some validity to this :lol

i remember in 98 when they won the title, that whole season was pretty much jam-packed with close games that they managed to pull out. it was nuts, and really stressful.

NewLib

Banned
UK non-conference is pretty soft this year with only three OOC top 25 games (UConn, UNC, and Louisville) and only a few other games that I would consider quality wins (Virginia/Stanford, Indiana). This is mostly Gillepsie's fault as Cal wasnt able to change the schedule quick enough to get many of the games he wanted. I mean the previous two years at Memphis, they played Xavier, Georgetown x2, Syracuse, Cincinnati x2, Tennessee x2, Gonzaga x2, Oklahoma, UConn, USC, Arizona

After this year on top of the usual UL/IU/UNC series, Cal wants to add a rotating series with Cincinnati, West Virginia, and one other team and wants to add a series with either Texas or Kansas.

DY_nasty

If he had heart he'd pick up Texas for the next few years.

Don't know if he'll be up to it after this season, Kentucky is gonna get knocked off by a couple of mid-majors.

NewLib

Banned
DY_nasty said:
If he had heart he'd pick up Texas for the next few years.

Don't know if he'll be up to it after this season, Kentucky is gonna get knocked off by a couple of mid-majors.

I doubt that Kentucky loses to a mid-major. If they can get past Rider, then Kentucky has really already played the best mid major teams that are on their schedule with Morehead State, Sam Houston State, Miami, and Rider.

Edit: The game last night wasnt like Miami. Kentucky played shitty defense again, but they really were never at any risk of losing the game.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
IU/UK is a long standing rivalry so you can never tell what will happen in those games. I'll be glad when Tom Creen gets that program back on its feet.

UNC's schedule is pretty tough considering how young the team is, but I'm guessing Huckleberry's plan is to burn them now so they'll be prepared in March. Duke needs to get some home and homes going again. In the 90's they had a series with Michigan and UCLA. We have ASU, probably UConn, @Wisconsin, the Zags in MSG and GTown in DC. Not bad but not quite as tough as UNC's We'll see how it pays off.

ggnoobIGN

Banned
truly101 said:
IU/UK is a long standing rivalry so you can never tell what will happen in those games.
Yeah you do. Or what should happen. UK will wipe the floor with them. IU is fucking brutal. If the Cats struggle with them, then that's a joke.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Michigan with sloppy 22 point win over Houston Baptist. Better get our shit together or Creighton could give us some problems next week.

ggnoobIGN

Banned
Cal is brutal. tOSU a little less so. If they stop playing AAU ball they'll be dangerous.

UNC has no back court. They're front line should keep them up there all year though. They also can't seem to handle a crowd, too inexperienced I guess.

'Cuse...well, how did they lose their exhibition? They've played flawlessly these past two nights thus far.

DY_nasty

This is a damned good run by UNC, just the fact that the guys didn't roll over and die makes me happy :D

Hope +1

Yo Beelzebozo! I knew you'd come back, homie.

When I explain to people how we didn't have class the day before the 1996 Final Four, people don't know what to think. (Of course, I don't know if that was true for all schools in the district) Also, when we were on a field trip, we stopped to go to a McDonalds so we could watch the game on TV. It extended the trip by two hours, haha. The principal was the one who said we should do it.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Its over now, but too often what happens in November and December doesn't count for shit in February and March.

DY_nasty

ggnoobIGN said:
UNC is built like a bunch of 16 year olds.
Aside from Ginyard, thats not too far off.

Syracuse is a damned good team though. Definitely better than KU, UK, and Mich St.
truly101 said:
Its over now, but too often what happens in November and December doesn't count for shit in February and March.
...well said dookie.

ggnoobIGN

Banned
DY_nasty said:

Syracuse is a damned good team though. Definitely better than KU, UK, and Mich St.

...well said dookie.
I'd say it's too early for that. Well maybe not in the case of UK, because they've looked like shit from boxscore watching.

ggnoobIGN

Banned
I got bored and put together a top 25 players list for the Big Ten:

1. Evan Turner, W, Jr., tOSU
2. Manny Harris, W, Jr., Michigan
3. Kalin Lucas, PG, Jr. Michigan State
4. Taylor Battle, SG, Jr., PSU
5. Robbie Hummel, SF, Jr., Purdue
6. JaJuan Johnson, PF, Jr, Purdue
7. E'Twaun Moore, SG, Jr, Purdue
8. Mike Davis, PF, Jr, Illinois
9. Brandon Paul, SG, Fr, Illinois
10. Williams Buford, W, So., tOSU
11. Demetri McCamey, PG, Jr., Illinois
12. DeShawn Sims, Sr., Michigan
13. Lawrence Westbrook, SG, Minnesota
14. Durrell Summers, SG, Jr., Michigan State
15. Rodney Williams, W, Fr., Minnesota
16. Mike Tisdale, C, Jr., Illinois
17. Ralph Sampson, C, So, Minnesota
18. John Diebler, SG, Jr, tOSU
19. Raymar Morgan, PF, Sr, Michigan State
20. Trevon Hughes, SG, Sr, Wisconsin
21. Chris Kramer, SG, Sr., Purdue
22. Lewis Jackson, PG, So., Purdue
23. Jason Bohannon, SG, Sr., Wisconsin
24. Damian Johnson, SF, Sr., Minnesota
25. Michael Thompson, PG, Jr., Northwestern

Only put the freshmen I've seen enough of.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
DY_nasty said:
...well said dookie.

Hey I remember the Holes sucked at the beginning of Hansbroughs freshman year. Come March, they spoiled JJ and Shelden's senior day and were a much better team. Oh I was so fucking mad, not just the UNC loss but Duke had lost in a pretty embarrassing fashion to FSU the game before. I knew then that they were not going to win any championship.

DY_nasty

sooperkool said:
Well the 'Heels won't have too much time to sulk since they have Michigan State coming up and they need to be up for that.
Drew needs a lot of work before he's really ready to for the role that he's been given. I'd rather see Strickland run point right now...

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
sooperkool said:
Well the 'Heels won't have too much time to sulk since they have Michigan State coming up and they need to be up for that.

I wouldn't relish that game if I was a UNC fan. The holes pretty much embarrassed Sparty and the gang twice last year. This Mich St is more experienced. Is it in Michigan or Chapuh Heeyah?

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
ggnoobIGN said:
I got bored and put together a top 25 players list for the Big Ten:

1. Evan Turner, W, Jr., tOSU
2. Manny Harris, W, Jr., Michigan
3. Kalin Lucas, PG, Jr. Michigan State
4. Taylor Battle, SG, Jr., PSU
5. Robbie Hummel, SF, Jr., Purdue
6. JaJuan Johnson, PF, Jr, Purdue
7. E'Twaun Moore, SG, Jr, Purdue
8. Mike Davis, PF, Jr, Illinois
9. Brandon Paul, SG, Fr, Illinois
10. Williams Buford, W, So., tOSU
11. Demetri McCamey, PG, Jr., Illinois
12. DeShawn Sims, Sr., Michigan
13. Lawrence Westbrook, SG, Minnesota
14. Durrell Summers, SG, Jr., Michigan State
15. Rodney Williams, W, Fr., Minnesota
16. Mike Tisdale, C, Jr., Illinois
17. Ralph Sampson, C, So, Minnesota
18. John Diebler, SG, Jr, tOSU
19. Raymar Morgan, PF, Sr, Michigan State
20. Trevon Hughes, SG, Sr, Wisconsin
21. Chris Kramer, SG, Sr., Purdue
22. Lewis Jackson, PG, So., Purdue
23. Jason Bohannon, SG, Sr., Wisconsin
24. Damian Johnson, SF, Sr., Minnesota
25. Michael Thompson, PG, Jr., Northwestern

Only put the freshmen I've seen enough of.

McCamey is way too high for a player who takes entire games off and can't play any D at all.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
bachikarn said:
They lost to a Div 2 team. How good can they really be?

Exhibition games don't count for shit. Mich St lost an exhibition game last year and went all the way to the Championship game.

ggnoobIGN

Banned
Brian Fellows said:
McCamey is way too high for a player who takes entire games off and can't play any D at all.
He's in shape this year and has admitted he actually cares now. Yeah, it's pathetic it had to come for that but he looks a lot better.

DY_nasty

bachikarn said:
Its Boehiem... He'll probably forfeit a game at halftime before his career is over.

SyNapSe

Anymore, every season top teams lose early. The talent gap has really narrowed compared to years ago. Heels will likely be fine, a lot of comes down to finding out who will be in your rotation and learning their roles, chemistry, etc.

Wesley Johnson looks to have had a good game per the boxscore. It hurt ISU bad when he left after his frosh season.. really good player. If you put him with Craig Brackins they'd be dirty.

truly101 said:
I wouldn't relish that game if I was a UNC fan. The holes pretty much embarrassed Sparty and the gang twice last year. This Mich St is more experienced. Is it in Michigan or Chapuh Heeyah?

i think its here in Chapel Hill, it should be a good one though.

truly101 said:
Exhibition games don't count for shit. Mich St lost an exhibition game last year and went all the way to the Championship game.

that was two years ago, in '07 when neitzel was on the team, they lost to grand valley state lulz

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
lakesideflight said:
that was two years ago, in '07 when neitzel was on the team, they lost to grand valley state lulz

I thought it was last year, wait was last year when UK lost to Gardner Webb? I can't remember. Anyway, they still don't count for shit. Games now are not great indicators of where teams will be late in the season. Young teams take their lumps and other teams with big question marks usually have a couple of losses at the start of conference play. I wouldn't be surprised to see Gonzaga beat Duke in December, they're a good quick team.

ggnoobIGN

Banned
truly101 said:
I thought it was last year, wait was last year when UK lost to Gardner Webb? I can't remember. Anyway, they still don't count for shit. Games now are not great indicators of where teams will be late in the season. Young teams take their lumps and other teams with big question marks usually have a couple of losses at the start of conference play. I wouldn't be surprised to see Gonzaga beat Duke in December, they're a good quick team.
Gardner Webb is a D1 team.

bachikarn said:

In regards to the Syracuse / LeMoyne exhibition game, one team was playing it's biggest game of the year, and the other team was experimenting with line-ups, giving extended time to freshmen and walk-ons to show what they could do, and didn't play a second of zone defense.

There's a reason those games don't count.

Seth C

DY_nasty said:

...well said dookie.

*yawn* UNC fan thinks any team that plays a good game against his team is Top 3 material. This is new.

ggnoobIGN said:
Gardner Webb is a D1 team.

Hell, Gardner Webb is apparently so good that the UNC fan includes them as one of the "ridiculous" 5 that UNC faces.

UK is up big at the half against Rider, 51-26. our defense has stepped up noticeably, and Rider is 0-9 of 3's, despite Cousins being out for the half early w/foul trouble. their shot % is 32.1%, 9-28, while ours is 58.3%, 21-36.

overall a great half, now lets keep it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom