• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football 2013 |Week 1| - Death Throes

andycapps

Pretty much. New Georgia defense against "best offense in College Football"

Nobody's ever confused Pollack for being a homer, but I'm not going to hate on him for this statement. Clemson has a really good offense. Georgia has a really good offense. The difference between the two is that Georgia had a better one last year and has a good running game. Balance is good in a play action offense, thus I would likely pick ours over Clemson's.

As far as defense goes, I'd pick ours over theirs, even with the uncertainty. They had a pretty poor defense last year, and there aren't any signs of it being better, particularly in the secondary. We had tons of talent last year, but not much depth so UGA got worn out late in games, particularly on the DL. This year, we have tons of depth, and lots of unproven talent. The secondary will give up some big plays on Saturday, but I would also expect some forced turnovers, which has always been Grantham's most emphasized stat. I still expect a couple freshmen to start on defense Saturday, that's always a scary thought no matter how talented they are.

Quake1028

Conference: ACC

South Carolina by 14
Vanderbilt by 4
Fresno State by 4
Oklahoma State by 14
Penn State by 4
Virginia by 4
Alabama by 27
Georgia by 4
TCU by 7
Washington by 4
Northwestern by 4
Colorado by 4

andycapps

GO GATAS!!!!!!!!

FTFY

T Kyle King did a good preview of the UGA/Clemson matchup on Dawg Sports. I agree with him that time of possession and amount of plays ran will probably determine the game. In short, a team that dominates the clock via running the football has an advantage, IMO.

In a word, possession. Against South Carolina, Clemson ran just 59 plays (to the Gamecocks’ 86) and held the ball for just over 20 minutes of clock time. In the fourth quarter, the Garnet and Black ran twice as many plays as the Orange and Purple, taking 22 snaps while the Tigers took just eleven. In Atlanta, by contrast, Clemson wore out Louisiana State. The Fort Hill Felines dominated the Pelican State Panthers in first downs (32-9), total offense (445-219), and offensive plays (100-48). In a balanced display in the City Too Busy to Hate, Clemson ran 50 passing plays and 50 running plays . . . and, in the final 15 minutes, Coach Swinney’s Jungaleers took 34 snaps (to LSU’s paltry seven) in a trio of scoring drives to notch a one-point victory.

In the 2012 season, Clemson ran the seventh-most offensive plays in Division I-A. The trick to taming the Tigers is to limit their offensive opportunities, which means sustaining drives that drain clock and score points. Fortunately, the Athenians appear reasonably well equipped to accomplish this. Last year, Louisiana State ranked 57th nationally in scoring offense, South Carolina checked in at 44th, and, as noted before, Georgia cracked the top 20, setting school records for points and touchdowns and earning independent accolades for Mike Bobo as the country’s best play-caller in the process. Moreover, the Bulldogs not only scored a boatload of points, they did it at a comparatively “slow” pace. The bottom line is that the team that takes more offensive snaps in the fourth quarter will win this game.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!

andycapps

Whichever team seems likely to outscore them.

So the first team capable of putting 10 on the board.

np2Ef1U.jpg

Whichever team seems likely to outscore them.

So the first team capable of putting 10 on the board.

Lol.

I haven't been keeping up with any news...hopefully the offense actually has something to give this year.

I still can't believe they won 11 games last year. After the first game I was ready to stop watching...and yet...

I LOVE YOU GUYS.

(...and by "you guys," I mean Monroeski, who is a fellow Red Raider... As for the rest of you...by "love," I mean hate...which is better than indifference, so at least we have that.)

ihjGMYkYmtAAD.gif

ifZ1CoV26EXWE.jpg

(THU) North Carolina @ South Carolina by 17
(THU) Ole Miss @ Vanderbilt by 10
(THU) Rutgers @ Fresno State by 3
Mississippi State vs. Oklahoma State by 24
Syracuse vs Penn State by 7
BYU @ Virginia by 10
Alabama vs Virginia Tech by 28
Georgia @ Clemson by 3
LSU vs TCU by 3
Boise State @ Washington by 17
Northwestern @ California by 10
(SUN) Colorado vs Colorado State by 14

mcgruber

(THU) North Carolina @ South Carolina by 10
(THU) Ole Miss @ Vanderbilt by 3
(THU) Rutgers @ Fresno State by 12
Mississippi State vs. Oklahoma State by 17
Syracuse vs Penn State by 2
BYU @ Virginia by 7
Alabama vs Virginia Tech by 24
Georgia @ Clemson by 1
LSU vs TCU by 14
Boise State @ Washington by 3
Northwestern @ California by 13
(SUN) Colorado vs Colorado State by 7

FSU-Football-Schedule-2013.jpg

Ready for another probably disappointing year! Woo!

Go Noles!

Do you expect georgia to score -2 points and vandy to tie ole miss?

ag-my001

Do you expect georgia to score -2 points and vandy to tie ole miss?

If the man wants to play hardcore, let him.

GAF Pick'em Week 1 Games

(THU) North Carolina @ South Carolina by 17
(THU) Ole Miss @ Vanderbilt by 4
(THU) Rutgers @ Fresno State by 6
Mississippi State vs. Oklahoma State by 8
Syracuse vs Penn State by 7
BYU @ Virginia by 8
Alabama vs Virginia Tech by 23
Georgia @ Clemson by 8
LSU vs TCU by 9
Boise State @ Washington by 10
Northwestern @ California by 6
(SUN) Colorado vs Colorado State by 4

mcgruber

do most people here not see oklahoma state blowing out mississippi state? they were one of the most overrated teams last year and their secondary saw big departures. Am I drinking more orange kool aid than gondo?

do most people here not see oklahoma state blowing out mississippi state? they were one of the most overrated teams last year and their secondary saw big departures. Am I drinking more orange kool aid than gondo?

Miss st. Was equally overrated last season during the first half. Then they played some decent teams and were subsequently blown out

ag-my001

I see that OSU should blow out MSt, but game one jitters lead to dropped passes that stall drives, keeping the game closer than it should be. The other, non-mutually-exclusive option is that first game jitters lead to blown coverages, but you can't always predict which team that will go for.

tokkun

(THU) North Carolina @ South Carolina by 14
(THU) Ole Miss @ Vanderbilt by 6
(THU) Rutgers @ Fresno State by 4
Mississippi State vs. Oklahoma State by 14
Syracuse vs Penn State by 4
BYU @ Virginia by 10
Alabama vs Virginia Tech by 17
Georgia @ Clemson by 4
LSU vs TCU by 7
Boise State @ Washington by 4
Northwestern @ California by 4

andycapps

OSU should blow them out. I picked OSU by 12, I try to stay close to the spread. Mississippi state is one of the worst teams in the league, so OSU should be able to have their way with them.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
I don't know how good OSU is, and I know that MSU is borderline mediocre. Middle of the SEC pack offensively and defensively. MSU has a returning QB and RB, but they have little returning WR's. Losing most of their DB's spell out likely doom against OSU's offense.

I see OSU winning, but hey, they lost to Arizona badly early in the year last year too. So, who knows.

jakncoke

Banned
3:30 p.m. — Penn State vs. Syracuse* | ABC, ESPN2, WatchESPN

Go Pedo State

39 or so games to go before the ban is over!

mcgruber

Miss st. Was equally overrated last season during the first half. Then they played some decent teams and were subsequently blown out

I was talking about miss state being top 15 an playing absolutely nobody. okie light only got blown out by Arizona, and I can't remember how that happened

andycapps

Better or worse than Iowa State?
Maybe slightly better?

UGA safety Tray Matthews was back in practice at full speed after missing almost two weeks with a hamstring issue. He was said by coaches to be one of our starting safeties so having him back for Clemson gameplan this week is huge. Whether he lost ground the last two weeks or how that hurt his development remains to be seen. Should be a good one by the end of the year, regardless.

xeris

Conference: Notorious B1G

(THU) North Carolina @ South Carolina by 14
(THU) Ole Miss @ Vanderbilt by 9
Mississippi State vs. Oklahoma State by 10
Syracuse vs Penn State by 6
BYU @ Virginia by 7
Alabama vs Virginia Tech by 20
Georgia @ Clemson by 10
LSU vs TCU by 6
Boise State @ Washington by 6
Northwestern @ California by 10
(SUN) Colorado vs Colorado State by 6

3:30 p.m. — Penn State vs. Syracuse* | ABC, ESPN2, WatchESPN

Go Pedo State

39 or so games to go before the ban is over!

Hope you guys go 2-0 to start the season.

Affiliation: American Athletic Conference aka Big East aka Conference USA 4.0
Picks -
GAF Pick'em Week 1 Games
(all games Saturday unless otherwise marked)

(THU) Rutgers @ Fresno State by 4 (Upset Special!)
Mississippi State vs. Oklahoma State by 4
Syracuse vs Penn State by 5
BYU @ Virginia by 4
Alabama vs Virginia Tech by 12
Georgia @ Clemson by 4
LSU vs TCU by 10
Boise State @ Washington by 4
Northwestern @ California by 7
(SUN) Colorado vs Colorado State by 4 (Who approved this selection here?)

Since others are doing it - The 2013 UCF schedule poster...

jakncoke

Banned
Junior Sam Ficken will kick, while senior Alex Butterworth will handle the punting duties. Howle is the kick snapper and Carson is the punt snapper.

Was hoping Sam Ficken would of gotten lost somewhere in Saigon

impirius

Schedule posters? Neat.

Too bad the uniforms are already outdated. When will EA release a patch for this poster?

Let's see more posters before the first game so that we can all bask in their optimism!

Draconian

SECSECSEC!

(THU) Ole Miss @ Vanderbilt by 3
(THU) Rutgers @ Fresno State by 6
Mississippi State vs. Oklahoma State by 13
BYU @ Virginia by 10
Alabama vs Virginia Tech by 20
Georgia @ Clemson by 3
LSU vs TCU by 4
Boise State @ Washington by 7
Northwestern @ California by 14
(SUN) Colorado vs Colorado State by 9

cashman

Banned
GAF Pick'em Week 1 Games
(all games Saturday unless otherwise marked)

(THU) North Carolina @ South Carolina by 16
Mississippi State vs. Oklahoma State by 24
BYU @ Virginia by 4
Alabama vs Virginia Tech by 24
Georgia @ Clemson by 4
LSU vs TCU by 10
Boise State @ Washington by 7
Northwestern @ California by 6

A dead (but not really) person posted more than me in the off season thread. Of course there was nothing of note for Florida, outside of a murder or three.

Need to get my cable set up for Football season.

Top Bottom