• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football 2013 |Week 1| - Death Throes

Westonian

I lost my job last year and at the time it was the worst experience of my life. The upshot is I ultimately (7 months later) found an even better job than I had before with far better pay, more room for advancement, and with better benefits. So a blessing in disguise really.

Hope everything works out for you.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
At least I can take solace that we still should have gotten a shot at LSU, but ESPN wanted a rematch of the Field Goal-Only Game of the Century.
Real talk for a minute. I don't think ESPN actually cared who was in the MNC game opposite LSU. They loved the conversation leading up to the BCS reveal, but had lOSUw gotten in over Bama, then they would have just droned on ad nauseum about how the MNC game was going to be a battle between the OFFENSE of the Big 12 and the DEFENSE of the SEC.

Edit:sorry that you lost your job, Battlezone. Been there and done that.

KingGondo

Banned
Real talk for a minute. I don't think ESPN actually cared who was in the MNC game opposite LSU. They loved the conversation leading up to the BCS reveal, but had lOSUw gotten in over Bama, then they would have just droned on ad nauseum about how the MNC game was going to be a battle between the OFFENSE of the Big 12 and the DEFENSE of the SEC.
I can admit tha Bama was probably the best team that year, but they were no more deserving than OSU was to play in that game. I considered the first Bama-LSU matchup to be a de facto playoff, and Bama lost at home. At the same time, I can admit that the ISU loss was inexcusable.

And you're right about ESPN creating narratives to fit each scenario, but Bama benefitted even more from the reputation of the SEC and the conference's promotion as a whole by ESPN. Part of the SEC's reputation is deserved, and part of it is bullshit.

The top teams deserve all the credit in the world, but those 4 teams have been carrying all the water for the rest of the conference. You should see the fucking Mississippi State fans touting the SEC on OSU message boards these past few weeks.

Also, OSU was a victim of our lack of history and tradition. I still believe if we had "OU" on our helmets we would have been playing in that game.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
I can admit tha Bama was probably the best team that year, but they were no more deserving than OSU was to play in that game. I considered the first Bama-LSU matchup to be a de facto playoff, and Bama lost at home. At the same time, I can admit that the ISU loss was inexcusable.

And you're right about ESPN creating narratives to fit each scenario, but Bama benefitted even more from the reputation of the SEC and the conference's promotion as a whole by ESPN. Part of the SEC's reputation is deserved, and part of it is bullshit.

The top teams deserve all the credit in the world, but those 4 teams have been carrying all the water for the rest of the conference. You should see the fucking Mississippi State fans touting the SEC on OSU message boards these past few weeks.

Also, OSU was a victim of our lack of history and tradition. I still believe if we had "OU" on our helmets we would have been playing in that game.

Let us know when the other conferences have enough great teams to fill out a "top 4" (or is it now top 6?)

KingGondo

Banned
Let us know when the other conferences have enough great teams to fill out a "top 4" (or is it now top 6?)
It's a top 4. Bama, LSU, UGA and Florida are the power programs, while Auburn bought a MNC and Aggy hasn't proven shit yet. USCe is in that second tier as well. As for the rest of the conference... :jnc

Gondo, I know you're an optimistic fella, but I think LSU was a worse matchup for your Pokes than Bama.
That's entirely possible, and we very well could have lost, especially in what was a de facto home game for LSU.

But I still would have preferred to have a shot instead of playing Stanford in the Fiesta Bowl. Real title shots are incredibly rare, and especially so for a program like ours.

andycapps

Just admit it, if Texas Tech had played your schedule and been in your position, they would have gotten in. An apprentice can never be better than his master.

Also, this is a great opportunity to go on my annual rant about UGA deserving to be in the 2007 MNC, but I won't.

The best sport in all the lands is upon us. 2 more days!

Conference: B1G

GAF Pick'em Week 1 Games
(all games Saturday unless otherwise marked)

(THU) North Carolina @ South Carolina by 10
(THU) Ole Miss @ Vanderbilt by 4
(THU) Rutgers @ Fresno State by 10
Mississippi State vs. Oklahoma State by 14
Syracuse vs Penn State by 3
BYU @ Virginia by 8
Alabama vs Virginia Tech by 3 -- Beamer ball don't fail me now
Georgia @ Clemson by 7 -- Wouldn't really be an upset IMHO
LSU vs TCU by 3 -- I hate the SEC as you can see =P
Boise State @ Washington by 7
Northwestern @ California by 10
(SUN) Colorado vs Colorado State by 4 -- Colorado has to start off this year on a good note...right?

andycapps

Will need a Clempson fan to tell me if this is a big deal or not, but Tyshon Dye, Mackensie Alexander, Scott Pagano, Joe Gore and Sam Cooper are out for the Georgia game.

Lonestar

Will need a Clempson fan to tell me if this is a big deal or not, but Tyshon Dye, Mackensie Alexander, Scott Pagano, Joe Gore and Sam Cooper are out for the Georgia game.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2013/8/14/4610928/2013-clemson-football-schedule-roster-preview/in/4357949

Here's a blog with depth charts and stuff, might help out.

Best I can tell, Dye, Alexander and Pagano are players that didn't play (but seem to be decently ranked recruits), Gore's an OL far down the depth chart, and Cooper might be their #1 returning TE, because Brandon Ford graduated

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2013/8/27/4624800/college-football-preview-teams-2013
Here's a page that has links to every teams page.

andycapps

Richt had his press conference today.. Receiver Jonathan Rumph won't play this weekend, and neither will Corey Moore due to injuries. Rumph wouldn't have started anyway, might have gotten a couple snaps, but he'll play more as the season goes due to his height and physical tools (6'5"). Corey Moore is more of a loss due to him having experience playing safety last year some. Game changing loss? Not really, I'm more worried about the true freshmen in the lineup in a night game in a hostile atmosphere.

As it stands, our safeties are true freshman Trey Matthews and former walk-on Connor Norman at the other spot. Connor Norman isn't the most physically gifted guy, but he'll be in there the majority of the time to get the defense lined up in the correct spot because he has several years in the system. JUCO transfer Shaquille Fluker will play some in Matthew's spot, I'd guess. True freshman Brendan Langley will be starting in one of the CB spots.

In all, UGA has 8 redshirt or true freshman on it's 22 player 2 deep. That says something in how young our defense is, but also how talented some of the kids are that Grantham is even giving them a shot over guys that have been there longer.

They are?

133329.gif

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
A few weeks after Gary Patterson ripped Les Miles for being too lax in his suspensions when Jeremy Hill was reinstated, it looks like "suspended" TCU player Devonte Fields will be suited up against LSU. You know, Devonte Fields, the player that Patterson explicitly mentioned as a guy that will be staying suspended for the first two games no matter the opponent because lifting the suspension "doesn't teach life lessons."

I suppose it could just be gamesmanship and Fields won't actually play. We'll find out how strong that suspension is if they aren't winning comfortably at the half.

andycapps said:
That sucks about getting fired. Hope things get better for you. Welcome back, to you and your avatar.

KingGondo said:
Sorry to hear about your job, Battlezone. Hope you land on your feet.

Westonian said:
Hope everything works out for you.

mre said:
Edit:sorry that you lost your job, Battlezone. Been there and done that.

Cyan said:
Damn, sorry to hear it dude. Good luck with finding a new job. :/

Thanks for the kind words, dudes. Already have some meetings set up with some recruiters and creative directors. Hopefully I'll have something in the can soon.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
I can admit tha Bama was probably the best team that year, but they were no more deserving than OSU was to play in that game.

I would say that Bama was clearly the better team that year but that OSU was more deserving to be in the title game because Alabama didn't even win their own division, much less their own conference. I think a conference title should have been a pre-requisite to play in the MNC all those years that it wasn't.

Westonian

A few weeks after Gary Patterson ripped Les Miles for being too lax in his suspensions when Jeremy Hill was reinstated, it looks like "suspended" TCU player Devonte Fields will be suited up against LSU. You know, Devonte Fields, the player that Patterson explicitly mentioned as a guy that will be staying suspended for the first two games no matter the opponent because lifting the suspension "doesn't teach life lessons."

I suppose it could just be gamesmanship and Fields won't actually play. We'll find out how strong that suspension is if they aren't winning comfortably at the half.

I've always found Gary Patterson unbearable. That may be because his TCU teams flat out owned BYU the last few years they were in the MWC together, but he always came off as a smug douchebag in interviews.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
I've always found Gary Patterson unbearable. That may be because his TCU teams flat out owned BYU the last few years they were in the MWC together, but he always came off as a smug douchebag in interviews.

Whatever. I demand that you give UNM our coach back!

Westonian

Whatever. I demand that you give UNM our coach back!

Is UNM willing to pay Bronco's salary? (Can they afford to? Are they still paying Locksley off?)

I think Bronco retires at BYU. I don't think he'll coach as long as LaVelle Edwards did, but I think this is his last coaching gig.

Besides, UNM basically forced Rocky out. I doubt Bronco wants to work for a school that treated his mentor so poorly.

Basically: never gonna happen. Nanny nanny boo boo, stick your head in doo doo.

andycapps

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2013/8/14/4610928/2013-clemson-football-schedule-roster-preview/in/4357949

Here's a blog with depth charts and stuff, might help out.

Best I can tell, Dye, Alexander and Pagano are players that didn't play (but seem to be decently ranked recruits), Gore's an OL far down the depth chart, and Cooper might be their #1 returning TE, because Brandon Ford graduated

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2013/8/27/4624800/college-football-preview-teams-2013
Here's a page that has links to every teams page.

That was what I was thinking as well based on your link. I'm not sure how much losing their top returning tight end will affect them. From the little bit I've read about their offensive formations, it doesn't appear that they use a tight end in the pro-style how UGA does. They seem to use them as more of a fullback type, and then occasionally split them out with the wide receivers.

Again maybe some Clempson guys can chime in.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Is UNM willing to pay Bronco's salary? (Can they afford to? Are they still paying Locksley off?)

I think Bronco retires at BYU. I don't think he'll coach as long as LaVelle Edwards did, but I think this is his last coaching gig.

Besides, UNM basically forced Rocky out. I doubt Bronco wants to work for a school that treated his mentor so poorly.

Basically: never gonna happen. Nanny nanny boo boo, stick your head in doo doo.

I'm just kidding, brah. UNM has a real footbaw coach, now.

bcbea4880f3b11e3bdcf22000a1fbe62_7.jpg

Westonian

I'm just kidding, brah. UNM has a real footbaw coach, now.

bcbea4880f3b11e3bdcf22000a1fbe62_7.jpg

I was super skeptical of Davies (seemed washed up) but he's far exceeded expectations so far. Of course when your benchmark is Locksley it's pretty much impossible not to see an improvement.

mcgruber

Do you even read the articles you link? Suspension may have been lifted(through an appeal) and coach won't comment. Same thing about Jeremy hill traveling to the game, no comments about either.

Just noticed...You can become a member without posting in gaming?

andycapps

Speaking of suspensions, Antonio Morrison of the Gatas has had his 2 game suspension reduced to 1 game. That's in time for Miami.

“I just don’t feel like his actions warranted a two-game suspension,” Muschamp said.

From that article above about TCU, looks like Oklahoma may be on the Fulmer Cup watch list.

Oklahoma offensive lineman Jacob Reed was suspended and charged with burglary and assault after allegedly breaking into his ex-girlfriend’s apartment and hitting her over the weekend.

Court records indicate that the charges against Reed were filed Monday in Cleveland County District Court. School spokesman Pete Moris said Reed was suspended indefinitely while the matter is pending.

andycapps

Awesome article by GQ on Nick Saban.

Burns is at the wheel of Saban's black Mercedes S550, and because he knows Saban's musical taste veers toward the Eagles, Al Green, and the Rolling Stones—no country—he's got "Gimme Shelter" cued up on the stereo. Saban sits shotgun, and I climb in the back. As Burns guides the sedan past columned fraternity houses on the arbored Alabama campus, Saban mentions he's seen the Stones twice. In an attempt at levity, I tell him I'd recently tried to turn my four-year-old daughter on to the Stones but that she had responded by earnestly asking me, "Dad, how come the man in these songs can't sing?"

Saban spins around from the front seat and shoots me the bug zapper.

"Mick Jagger can sing," he says, before turning back to face the windshield. "Mick Jagger is a great entertainer."

Before the applause dies down, I'm chasing Saban out of the auditorium. He's late for a meeting with some recruits. Just before he reaches his Mercedes, Saban is approached by an Alabama fan who wants to thank the coach for signing a football for his son. It meant so much to the boy, the man says. Saban gives the man a confused look, as if not comprehending how this large animate object had suddenly appeared in his path, and gets in the car without saying a word.

mre

I read this earlier today. You left out the most important and interesting part of the story:
But anyone searching for a grand unified theory of Nick Saban should consider another view: Saban is not a complex man but an incredibly simple one. He means what he says, though he might change his mind. His gruffness is not a façade but a form of mild social dysfunction he copes with and tries to manage. In theory he'd like to have more friends, but he wouldn't have time for them if he did. His drive—the engine behind the process—is not something he willed into being but a kind of father-haunted compulsion that he has managed to corral and direct into a successful career. There's no guy behind the guy, just the one you see, the one trying like hell to smile after a big win and just not quite feeling it. That's at least in part how Saban sees himself.

"I don't think I'm complicated at all," he says. "I'm not political, and I'm not trying to be diplomatic. I don't want to hurt anybody's feelings, and I don't say bad things about people. There is no agenda. There's no trying to fool somebody.

"It is," Saban says of himself, as he does about so many other things he finds self-evident, "what it is."

Lonestar

was going to post it earlier, but work and then lunch interrupted me.

My favorite part, was about Saban's talk at an event in Tennessee, where Tennessee fans were upset that he was there in the first place:

"One speech closer to vacation," Saban says in the car. "They're threatening to kill me. If they want to assassinate my ass, they need to go ahead and do it."

andycapps

I read this earlier today. You left out the most important and interesting part of the story:

I was actually linked to the 3rd page and read most of it before I discovered I needed to read the whole thing. That was definitely interesting, and I can relate to him in a lot of ways though I think he's way more introverted than I am. Friend of mine told me a few years ago I was an ISTP personality. He may also be an ISTP, but maybe an ISTJ.

Yup, definitely a J. 2 Little Debbie Oatmeal Cream Pies every day anyone? Same lunch every day? The Process?

J – Judgment preferred to perception: ISTJs tend to plan their activities and make decisions early. They derive a sense of control through predictability. [9]

Lonestar

If there's ever been someone I'd want to know what their internal monologue was saying, it's Saban. He is one strange, angry little man.

andycapps

If there's ever been someone I'd want to know what their internal monologue was saying, it's Saban. He is one strange, angry little man.

It sounds like if he's at a press conference, he's thinking about how that's keeping him from studying film more or meeting with his coaches. If he's getting interrupted by a fan or having to give a speech, it's keeping him from what he needs to be doing then to keep his "process" going. Anything that's not football and gameplanning is probably seen as a waste. They even mention that he's not really happy after a win, that's just the expected result of his process. You did what you need to do and now you avoid complacency and work harder on the process so you win again.

Honestly, it sounds miserable.

cdyhybrid

"Fuck that Manziel guy, we're gonna make them take him out of the stadium on a stretcher"

x100000000000000000000

andycapps

would his I.M. be in all caps. All caps and bolded?

Font color in red?

I'm going with default color, but either all caps, or all lower case. Saban doesn't have time to capitalize things.

I'm guessing he doesn't know what a smiley is. Or what LOL means.

Every single one of them are true freshman (except Cooper) and all except Alexander were probably going to redshirt anyway. Sam Cooper was our starting TE in the spring but went down with an ACL injury during the spring game, so this has been known for quite some time and I suspect has been game planned around. Hope that helps!

edit: Sorry, noticed Gore in there too. He's probably on the two deep at his position on the OL but wasn't a starter.

andycapps

OLB Jordan Jenkins hurtling a fullback's attempted block. He's the heir apparent to Jarvis Jones and Justin Houston. He played last year opposite Jones, but Jones understandably received most of the attention from opposing OL. He was highly recruited and played well last year. Has better physical tools than Jones, but we'll see if he can put up the stats that Jones did.

http://instagram.com/p/dhuPOTJTDE/

Azwethinkweiz said:
Every single one of them are true freshman (except Cooper) and all except Alexander were probably going to redshirt anyway. Sam Cooper was our starting TE in the spring but went down with an ACL injury, so this has been known for quite some time and I suspect has been game planned around. Hope that helps!

edit: Sorry, noticed Gore in there too. He's probably on the two deep at his position on the OL but wasn't a starter.

Gotcha, sounds like I was on the right track. Not too much impact to the team, if any.

mre

Has this been posted?

Buzzfeed ranks the SEC mascots

I don't think they know what the word definitive means, but this is just awful.
Jesus, that's horrible. Any ranking of SEC mascots that doesn't have Cocky at #1 is DOA, but to have the fucking collie as number 1? Hell no.
What dipshit ATM fan wrote this article? Seriously, they use the live animal mascot for ATM and the giant foamhead mascots for the other schools? Pathetic.
I don't think Aggy has another mascot, other than the Milkmen?

ag-my001

Some were actually trying to bring Ol' Sarge back into prominence to match the SEC mascot & animal pattern.

Perhaps after the Waffle House.

It sounds like if he's at a press conference, he's thinking about how that's keeping him from studying film more or meeting with his coaches. If he's getting interrupted by a fan or having to give a speech, it's keeping him from what he needs to be doing then to keep his "process" going. Anything that's not football and gameplanning is probably seen as a waste. They even mention that he's not really happy after a win, that's just the expected result of his process. You did what you need to do and now you avoid complacency and work harder on the process so you win again.

Honestly, it sounds miserable.

I wonder how a guy like Saban would respond if you remind him that his job involves what is essentially a form of entertainment.

While I'm intrigued by intense coaches, sometimes one wonders if they're aware that they're basically putting on a show.

Top Bottom