• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football 2013 |Week 11| Thursday Night Lights

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
it's coming from Hicks. Can you really believe it?

As long as he wins 3 in a row and doesn't recruit players currently committed to Alabama, ce la vie.

squicken

As long as he wins 3 in a row and doesn't recruit players currently committed to Alabama, ce la vie.

It's not like Hicks leaked it. It's an open records request from the AP getting an email detailing a call between Saban's agent, Hicks and a UT Regent. And really, what else can he do at Bama? All there is is titles and failure

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!

Even more than that it's a rehashed story based upon the same conversation from last January.

cashman

Banned
Facing all that special pressure and the fans at Alabama don't seem to give a shit. Hope Mrs. Saban picked out a nice house in Austin!

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Lol at leaving Bama for Texas to escape pressure. Saban isn't Urbs.

Saban will leave Bama for Texas because of the crappy fans, not because of pressure.

My fear is Patterson was chosen over Luck because during the interview process Patterson expressed support of Mack Brown leaving on his own terms while Luck made no such promises. If certain donors and Dodds were decision makers in the hiring process, I could see how they would fall in love with Patterson.

Of course I hope my gut feeling is wrong wrong wrong

Draxal

Thank you for being realistic.

The B1G sucks overall, but it's a massive, huge step up from the competition Rutgers has faced this year.

WVU and TCU are learning about life in a major conference right now, even though it's undeniably a down year in the Big 12.

:jnc Those are not good stats for a college QB.

The BIG West is garbage, and there are some good teams in the American this year (UCF/VILLE).

However, Rutgers just got blown out by Houston and needed a 4th down pass to beat a 1-7 Temple, and the BIG East is pretty strong (and Rutgers is playing the two best teams out the BIG west next year), so I really can't say more than three wins. Rutgers has had some injury concerns (the secondary is beyond shot), and of course there's most likely to be some coaching changes (d coordinator is going to demoted), so the optimist in me still has a little fire on the torch.

It's just besides out of the Maurice Clarret/Sandusky U and Michigan ... the Big 10's recruiting classes are actually kinda bad for the last couple of years. Was kinda of an eye opener and explains their current problems.

ncf_northwestern_jv_300x300.jpg

northuunif.jpeg

BYPbn33CIAAwqFd.jpg

Talon, you have some splaining to do.

cashman

Banned
My fear is Patterson was chosen over Luck because during the interview process Patterson expressed support of Mack Brown leaving on his own terms while Luck made no such promises. If certain donors and Dodds were decision makers in the hiring process, I could see how they would fall in love with Patterson.

Of course I hope my gut feeling is wrong wrong wrong

That is just an internet rumor with no backing at all.

cashman

Banned
I didn't know it was an internet rumor to begin with. Glad it has already been basically debunked

New rumor is that Luck wanted the firing to be taken care of, while Patterson had no problem doing it.

Either way if Mack wins out or only loses to Baylor and wins the bowl game, we're probably going to be stuck with him for another year.

New rumor is that Luck wanted the firing to be taken care of, while Patterson had no problem doing it.

Either way if Mack wins out or only loses to Baylor and wins the bowl game, we're probably going to be stuck with him for another year.

I kinda figured a 10 win season was his minimum for keeping his job before the year started given his 9 win season last year. It seemed almost impossible after a 1-2 start which was why everyone just assumed he was gone. Then we beat OU, and now we're 5-0 in the conference which makes a 10 win season ( or conference title ) seem somewhat possible. The margins, as you mentioned, are slim because of those 2 early losses so only 1 more loss down the line, including the bowl game, can be afforded.

Quake1028

Why would a private school get public funding to build a stadium? Does this happen?

I meant more in the sense of the land granting and all of that, not the funding. Apparently there is really no usable, feasible room left near campus.

Saban angling to get another massive pay raise. Genius.

Yup, this is the only answer. Not genius, just good business. The surprising thing is that no one is reporting on it as a possibility yet, even though it's a common technique.

On a somewhat separate note, I just found out that Urban was waiting for Texas or USC to come open once he finished up at the Mayo clinic (which he was going to while letting our team go to shit in 2010). But no way he'd turn down 40mil from tOSU.

And, shit. We lost another OLineman. To a scooter accident. It was Tyler Moore, who sucked anyway, but he broke his elbow on his scooter. Needs surgery.

andycapps

Yup, this is the only answer. Not genius, just good business. The surprising thing is that no one is reporting on it as a possibility yet, even though it's a common technique.

On a somewhat separate note, I just found out that Urban was waiting for Texas or USC to come open once he finished up at the Mayo clinic (which he was going to while letting our team go to shit in 2010). But no way he'd turn down 40mil from tOSU.

And, shit. We lost another OLineman. To a scooter accident. It was Tyler Moore, who sucked anyway, but he broke his elbow on his scooter. Needs surgery.

And now I've heard everything.

mre

And now I've heard everything.
Those people at UF are insane on their scooters. It still blows my mind to think that there is no requirement or law that you have to wear a helmet when riding one.
They reviewed, and then said that the play wasn't allowed to be reviewed.
Well, let's hope the NCAA pencils that one in as a rule to be changed.

Limedust

I like the very first line of the article:

The agent for coach Nick Saban told Texas officials in January that Texas was the only school he would consider leaving Alabama for and that his success with the Crimson Tide had put him under "special pressure,"

WELL, JIMMY SEXTON HAS NEVER DONE ANYTHING LIKE THAT BEFORE!

andycapps

No rules about wearing a helmet there? You have to at UGA.

Ray Drew got in an accident his freshman year after leaving church. Sprained his shoulder. Crazy to read that and remember that he was thought to have been a linebacker when he came, but outgrew the position.

There used to be a law. All the bikers in the state pushed and got it overturned. So now Florida has no helmet law.

Zook implemented one after he almost hit a player at night. One of the smart things he did.

So now we are down six starters due to injury. A few starters due to spontaneous suckage. And several backups. I think we're in double digit attrition now.

And gasp, PAWWWL even had a coherent thought (with Luginbill) about Muschamp. Said the 11-2 season was coaching with not much and that if he's in this situation next year, it's time to go. WELP. I agree. Gotta find a bridge to jump off of.

Lonestar

I'm no rider, but would a helmet have saved him from breaking an elbow? I mean, sure, he might have used his arm to protect his head, but that's an instinctual reaction that would have happened if he had a helmet on.

mre

I'm no rider, but would a helmet have saved him from breaking an elbow? I mean, sure, he might have used his arm to protect his head, but that's an instinctual reaction that would have happened if he had a helmet on.
Nah, this kid would still be hurt. My comment was just a general note about how crazy students are in Gainesville about their scooters. A significant portion of them must think they are driving around in a tank based upon how they drive.

Lonestar

Nah, this kid would still be hurt. My comment was just a general note about how crazy students are in Gainesville about their scooters. A significant portion of them must think they are driving around in a tank based upon how they drive.

Not just Gainesville. You had Jack Nicklaus's Grandson running into cars recklessly. What a thug culture.

pxleyes

Banned

So, so true.

Those people at UF are insane on their scooters. It still blows my mind to think that there is no requirement or law that you have to wear a helmet when riding one.

Well, let's hope the NCAA pencils that one in as a rule to be changed.
Motorcyclists a few years ago successfully fought to remove the previous helmet law.

Only law on the books for helmets now are for bike riders under 16 years of age.

andycapps

There used to be a law. All the bikers in the state pushed and got it overturned. So now Florida has no helmet law.

Zook implemented one after he almost hit a player at night. One of the smart things he did.

So now we are down six starters due to injury. A few starters due to spontaneous suckage. And several backups. I think we're in double digit attrition now.

And gasp, PAWWWL even had a coherent thought (with Luginbill) about Muschamp. Said the 11-2 season was coaching with not much and that if he's in this situation next year, it's time to go. WELP. I agree. Gotta find a bridge to jump off of.

Yeah there are a lot of idiots that ride around here (Ohio) that ride around without helmets.

And I agree with PAWWWL and you. I think that they may need to go for some JUCO offensive guys that are ready to contribute immediately. Because there is a severe lack of talent on the offensive side of the ball. Though without the injuries, they could have potentially been a 10-2 team.

Jhriad

Those of you that are choosing Michigan by 4 (or choosing Nebraska to win) need to reevaluate your pick. Minimum should be Michigan by 11. I will be choosing Nebraska myself but I'm required by Husker law to choose my team. Nebraska will have 2-3 turnovers and allow 250+ rushing yards. It's not at home and we're even worse on the road than we are at home. The score will probably end up around 34-17. 4-5 offensive starters will still be out for the game, Abdullah still has a bum ankle (and we love him all the more for gutting it out), and we're still stuck with the same porous defense we've had the past few years.

KingGondo

Banned
(THU) Oklahoma @ Baylor by 28
(THU) Oregon @ Stanford by 17
Kansas State @ Texas Tech by 4
Penn State @ Minnesota by 10
BYU @ Wisconsin by 10
Nebraska @ Michigan by 14
Virginia Tech @ Miami by 18
Houston @ UCF by 10
Texas @ West Virginia by 4
LSU @ Alabama by 17
Notre Dame @ Pittsburgh by 4
UCLA @ Arizona by 4

Those of you that are choosing Michigan by 4 (or choosing Nebraska to win) need to reevaluate your pick. Minimum should be Michigan by 11. I will be choosing Nebraska myself but I'm required by Husker law to choose my team. Nebraska will have 2-3 turnovers and allow 250+ rushing yards. It's not at home and we're even worse on the road than we are at home. The score will probably end up around 34-17. 4-5 offensive starters will still be out for the game, Abdullah still has a bum ankle (and we love him all the more for gutting it out), and we're still stuck with the same porous defense we've had the past few years.

Michigan getting over 100 yards alone is lol worthy. That line and RB are maybe the worst units in the B1G.

cdyhybrid

Nebraska fans think they'll lose handily, so they'll probably win by two scores.

Jhriad

Michigan getting over 100 yards alone is lol worthy. That line and RB are maybe the worst units in the B1G.

No faith is to be put into the Nebraska rush defense especially with a mobile quarterback. The unit doesn't deserve any slack. If Gardner is healthy enough for designed QB runs or running through creases that develop if someone isn't immediately open downfield we'll be gashed several times. I hope for better but expect the worst. So far the team is meeting expectations.

Nebraska fans think they'll lose handily, so they'll probably win by two scores.

Shush! Don't jinx the bewildering good luck of Husker negativity.
Riding high off the ending of end of last week and a surprising goal line stand I expect a loss but then if I'm expecting a loss we might actually pull it out.. right? God help my fragile heart.

Yeah there are a lot of idiots that ride around here (Ohio) that ride around without helmets.

And I agree with PAWWWL and you. I think that they may need to go for some JUCO offensive guys that are ready to contribute immediately. Because there is a severe lack of talent on the offensive side of the ball. Though without the injuries, they could have potentially been a 10-2 team.

Nope. Because without the injuries we would still have Driskel. Who would have more pick6s than TDs. But our LB corps is pretty terrible. A lot of Florida fans didn't realize how good we had it with Bostic and Jelani Jenkins last year. Jenkins couldn't stop a D3 running back, but he was an eraser on short pass plays. And Bostic, well, he's doing pretty well for himself now.

Just remember we dont have a game when I went looking for this weeks poster.

fuck.

First kanye canceling on me now this, worst weekend ever!

Say what you will about Michigan sucking fat dick, they do seem to be something of a different animal at home. I can see Nebraska out-sucking them. I really have nothing more to say than that, though. Without a solid "where the fuck did that come from?" 3-1 or 4-0 finish the season's looking pretty bleak. UM is weak up front on both sides of the ball and thusly in danger of losing to every team they play.

andycapps

Nope. Because without the injuries we would still have Driskel. Who would have more pick6s than TDs. But our LB corps is pretty terrible. A lot of Florida fans didn't realize how good we had it with Bostic and Jelani Jenkins last year. Jenkins couldn't stop a D3 running back, but he was an eraser on short pass plays. And Bostic, well, he's doing pretty well for himself now.

What Florida really needs is a QB that can transfer into their program and play immediately. Or a Jameis Winston type. Good luck finding that.

Your defense is is still pretty good, but not as good as last year. I think they'll be in a good spot next year.

Top Bottom