• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football 2013 |Week 11| Thursday Night Lights

Kevtones

Going far to affirm all the stories lately about Duck fans I suppose.

Oh come on. Bullying is regressive obviously but from what we know, Martin handled it like a bitch. He sure didn't see how it might affect his future, his team's future, and the general clusterfuck it would cause. And in the name of what - eliminating bully culture? Lol.

FREE INCOGNITO

Draconian

(THU) Oklahoma @ Baylor by 17
(THU) Oregon @ Stanford by 3
Kansas State @ Texas Tech by 7
Penn State @ Minnesota by 10
BYU @ Wisconsin by 14
Nebraska @ Michigan by 6
Virginia Tech @ Miami by 4
Houston @ UCF by 7
Texas @ West Virginia by 6
LSU @ Alabama by 10
Notre Dame @ Pittsburgh by 7
UCLA @ Arizona by 10

This Miami vs. VaTech game is all over the place in the pick 'em.

As it should be. Too many question marks on both sides of the field.

Will Logan Thomas suck a lot or a little?
Can VT's defense bail out their offense?
I know Crawford is good, but will Miami really be able to win without Duke Johnson?
Will Stephen Morris suck a lot or a little?

Really I think it comes down to which QB makes fewer mistakes.

Given that both offenses are hit-or-miss, I picked the team with better defense to win, that being VaTech.

Jay Sosa

Oh come on. Bullying is regressive obviously but from what we know, Martin handled it like a bitch. He sure didn't see how it might affect his future, his team's future, and the general clusterfuck it would cause. And in the name of what - eliminating bully culture? Lol.

FREE INCOGNITO

I like you.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
I know this is hoopity hoop shit, but has anyone else seen USC's newest mascots:

tommy-traveller-usc.jpg

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Oh God, I can't stop stat'ing.

Did the inverse, with everyone's offense, to find the % of times a team has a negative/null play on offense.

I then had an offensive and defensive number, and combined that into another difference.

The New Formula has presented me with the best 25 teams, in order.

1. Louisville
  2. Michigan State
  3. Baylor
  4. Ohio State
  5. Cincinnati
  6. Alabama
  7. Northern Illinois
  8. Wisconsin
  9. Clemson
  10. Oregon
  11. Auburn
  12. Arizona State
  13. Florida State
  14. Stanford
  15. Georgia Tech
  16. Fresno State
  17. North Texas
  18. Missouri
  19. USC
  20. Texas A&M
  21. UCF
  22. Utah State
  23. Miami (Florida)
  24. Oklahoma
  25. Florida

Then you could get into the actual win/loss record and slide accordingly.

#1 Baylor
#2 OSU
#3 Alabama
#4 Oregon

God Help us All, I have to stop

I'm going to talk to Rob Ford about something.

(THU) Oklahoma by 10
(THU) Oregon by 4
Texas Tech by 10
Minnesota by 4
Wisconsin by 4
Michigan by 4
Miami by 10
Houston by 4
West Virginia by 4
Alabama by 10
Notre Dame by 4
UCLA by 10

Did the inverse, with everyone's offense, to find the % of times a team has a negative/null play on offense.

I then had an offensive and defensive number, and combined that into another difference.

The New Formula has presented me with the best 25 teams, in order.

1. Louisville
  2. Michigan State
  3. Baylor
  4. Ohio State
  5. Cincinnati
  6. Alabama
  7. Northern Illinois
  8. Wisconsin
  9. Clemson
  10. Oregon
  11. Auburn
  12. Arizona State
  13. Florida State
  14. Stanford
  15. Georgia Tech
  16. Fresno State
  17. North Texas
  18. Missouri
  19. USC
  20. Texas A&M
  21. UCF
  22. Utah State
  23. Miami (Florida)
  24. Oklahoma
  25. Florida

Then you could get into the actual win/loss record and slide accordingly.

#1 Baylor
#2 OSU
#3 Alabama
#4 Oregon

Your formula needs some work bro. FSU 4 spots below a Clemson team that they absolutely destroyed? Louisville at #1 and UCF at #21? Florida in the top 25?

Quake1028

Given that both offenses are hit-or-miss, I picked the team with better defense to win, that being VaTech.

Defense I will give you, but these offensive ranks:

M PPG: 36.4
VT PPG: 22.1

M Total Offense PG: 458.1
VT Total Offense PG: 348.0

Those aren't close. But yeah, Duke Johnson. Which is why the picks are rightfully all over the place and why this game will be much closer than it should be. Ugh.

Lonestar

These are just numbers, that don't take wins or losses, or even scoring, into account. If I can figure out a way, I can keep making more stats!

It's based on the fact that a single play counts the same for everyone. As it stands, Alabama and Oregon's offense has almost the exact amount of success at "not fumbling, throwing an incompletion, getting sacked, getting tackled behind the line, or punting"

Now, Oregon goes about 0.94 yard more per play, would be the difference.

Then you get into running faster to get more plays, and then into slow vs fast when measured against the clock, and how good defense is, and I'm going to go eat something

xeris

(THU) Oklahoma @ Baylor by 17
(THU) Oregon @ Stanford by 7
Kansas State @ Texas Tech by 10
Penn State @ Minnesota by 7
BYU @ Wisconsin by 4
Nebraska @ Michigan by 10
Virginia Tech @ Miami by 6
Houston @ UCF by 4
Texas @ West Virginia by 10
LSU @ Alabama by 14
Notre Dame @ Pittsburgh by 4
UCLA @ Arizona by 14

I almost hope Baylor, Oregon, Alabama, tOSU, and FSU remain undefeated the rest of the year. That way, big playoff supporters will have more clout and grounds to their argument that even a 4 team playoff still wont crown a true champion. We need at least an 8 team playoff!

Okay that won't happen, but I'm still almost certain that we'll have more than 2 undefeated BCS conference teams before bowl selection day, which will at least justify next years 4 team playoff. Auburn wont be the only undefeated major conference team that didn't go to the MNC game after this year.

Great night of football lined up.

Best thursday of ball ever?

Banned already? Wading into the gaming side this close to launch is like swimming naked through sharks and jellyfish with blood slathered all over you.

Your formula needs some work bro. FSU 4 spots below a Clemson team that they absolutely destroyed? Louisville at #1 and UCF at #21? Florida in the top 25?

I hate to agree with a filthy Nole, but I agree on the Florida thing. Stats or no.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.

It's a shame the BCS is at it's end, they probably would have offered to add you into the computer mix and Bama could have retroactively claimed a few more national titles based on your formula.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
I have no idea who to pick in the Baylor/OU game tonight.

On the one hand I think Baylor should win; On the other hand my brain has trouble reconciling a reality where Baylor goes undefeated so I know they have to lose sometime. I figure their only real chances of losing (outside of the "anything can happen any Saturday" upset factor) are here, @ OSU, and vs UT; If I had to pick one, I would think that @ OSU is most likely since OU is a home game for them, but OU has the advantage of being first in line of the tough games (the "Baylor hasn't seen anything like this yet" factor).

I think I'm ultimately going to pick OU tonight and then regret it.

I have no idea who to pick in the Baylor/OU game tonight.

On the one hand I think Baylor should win; On the other hand my brain has trouble reconciling a reality where Baylor goes undefeated so I know they have to lose sometime. I figure their only real chances of losing (outside of the "anything can happen any Saturday" upset factor) are here, @ OSU, and vs UT; If I had to pick one, I would think that @ OSU is most likely since OU is a home game for them, but OU has the advantage of being first in line of the tough games (the "Baylor hasn't seen anything like this yet" factor).

I think I'm ultimately going to pick OU tonight and then regret it.

I agree that @OSU is the game they are probably losing, especially if its a night game. My gut is Baylor will route OU tonight, but like you I can see how this could shift in OU's favor in a hurry if Baylor makes a few crucial mistakes and plays flustered for a couple quarters.

(THU) Oklahoma @ Baylor by 8
(THU) Oregon @ Stanford by 8
Kansas State @ Texas Tech by 4
Penn State @ Minnesota by 4
BYU @ Wisconsin by 6
Nebraska @ Michigan by 6
Virginia Tech @ Miami by 9
Houston @ UCF by 12
Texas @ West Virginia by 12
LSU @ Alabama by 17
UCLA @ Arizona by 6

LegoDad

(THU) Oklahoma @ Baylor by 12
(THU) Oregon @ Stanford by 12
Kansas State @ Texas Tech by 4
Penn State @ Minnesotaby 6
BYU @ Wisconsin by 9
Nebraska @ Michigan by 6
Virginia Tech @ Miami by 12
Houston @ UCF by 12
Texas @ West Virginia by 12
LSU @ Alabama by 12
Notre Dame @ Pittsburgh by 6
UCLA @ Arizona by 9

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
The thread about the black girl getting shot in the head after asking for help following a car crash.
Seriously? His posts in that thread weren't even that controversial.
Seems like the search index isn't updating right now. This happens from time to time. I'll mention it to gromph.
I hope gromph gets compensated in some manner for the work he puts in.

Kevtones

Weird fact:

Scott Frost, the Ducks’ offensive coordinator, played quarterback for two seasons at Stanford, and his first collegiate touchdown pass was caught by David Shaw, who is now the Stanford head coach. The touchdown pass came against Oregon in 1994.

Westonian

GAF Pick'em Week 11 Games

(THU) Oklahoma @ Baylor by 6
(THU) Oregon @ Stanford by 7
Kansas State @ Texas Tech by 6
BYU @ Wisconsin by 7
Nebraska @ Michigan by 6
Virginia Tech @ Miami by 7
Houston @ UCF by 10
LSU @ Alabama by 7
UCLA @ Arizona by 13

So excited we get two great college games tonight instead of having to endure a mediocre-to-terrible NFL game.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member

(THU) Oklahoma @ Baylor by 4 I guess I don't want points
(THU) Oregon @ Stanford by 20
Kansas State @ Texas Tech by 14
BYU @ Wisconsin by 7
Nebraska @ Michigan by 7
Virginia Tech @ Miami by 7
Houston @ UCF by 10
LSU @ Alabama by 17
UCLA @ Arizona by 4

I also think KSU/TTU will be closer than that but I'm slowly being convinced that I'm putting a little too much stock in KSU's "revival" against teams like WVU and ISU.

Lonestar

I didn't even know there was a thread on it. Is it not doing well in the ratings?

It's been doing steady at least, though The Voice going 2 hours has lowered it even more. It's obviously down from when it was on Thursday nights. It's got that CBS disease. Ultra high viewer count, but low on "vague shares related to young adults." So, getting 11-13 million, but 1.9-2.3 shares. Was getting 15-18 million and over 3.0 shares on Thursday nights.

Topic

MrJames

(THU) Oklahoma @ Baylor by 15
(THU) Oregon @ Stanford by 16
Kansas State @ Texas Tech by 10
BYU @ Wisconsin by 7
Nebraska @ Michigan by 7
Virginia Tech @ Miami by 8
Houston @ UCF by 13
Texas @ West Virginia by 8
LSU @ Alabama by 13
Notre Dame @ Pittsburgh by 8
UCLA @ Arizona by 6

Karl2177

I also think KSU/TTU will be closer than that but I'm slowly being convinced that I'm putting a little too much stock in KSU's "revival" against teams like WVU and ISU.

An ISU offense with only 4 true starters on it, nonetheless. Sadly, it looks like we'll be playing this way for the rest of the year except for KU and WVU.

Garryk

(THU) Oklahoma @ Baylor by 11
(THU) Oregon @ Stanford by 18
Kansas State @ Texas Tech by 6
BYU @ Wisconsin by 9
Nebraska @ Michigan by 6
Virginia Tech @ Miami by 10
Houston @ UCF by 9
Texas @ West Virginia by 6
LSU @ Alabama by 10