• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football 2013 |Week 13| _ E ... _ A N _ ... _ A _ A

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
Honestly after reading this I feel like unless someone has hard physical evidence we really are just going to end up with a rather large He says.... she says scandal with no way to really prove the facts of the case with clarity because of how the situation was seemingly handled.

Quite a mess sadly.

Anohter botched sexual assault case involving a high profile athlete. I know I'm shocked.

tokkun

Honestly after reading this I feel like unless someone has hard physical evidence we really are just going to end up with a rather large He says.... she says scandal with no way to really prove the facts of the case with clarity because of how the situation was seemingly handled.

Quite a mess sadly.

Couldn't they still collect DNA from Winston?

Phenomic

Anohter botched sexual assault case involving a high profile athlete. I know I'm shocked.

Right... I can't say that whole situation looks even moderately clean, but I still wonder why people would risk their job for the kid when the incident went down. The majority of the city wouldn't have even known his name by that point in time. No way was he high profile at the time. He still had not played a single down of college football when the incident supposedly happened.

I guess you could argue that he was a top recruit, but just because you have that status doesn't mean you will play well on the college level. He could have fallen from grace just as easily.

Couldn't they still collect DNA from Winston?

Sure I suppose, but they would need DNA evidence at the crime scene too. Maybe they confirmed they had that? Though if they did I don't think they would be able to stage a cover up very easily.

However, I'm just guessing I know absolutely nothing about crime scene investigations or internal goings on about any of it.

ag-my001

Right... I can't say that whole situation looks even moderately clean, but I still wonder why people would risk their job for the kid when the incident went down. The majority of the city wouldn't have even known his name by that point in time. No way was he high profile at the time. He still had not played a single down of college football when the incident supposedly happened.

I guess you could argue that he was a top recruit, but just because you have that status doesn't mean you will play well on the college level. He could have fallen from grace just as easily.
I'd consider it even worse if the TPD had a blanket policy to bury investigations involving all/scholarship players and give inside info to university lawyers.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I'd consider it even worse if the TPD had a blanket policy to bury investigations involving all/scholarship players and give inside info to university lawyers.

Starting fsu players are arrested and charged all the time. TPD has no history of being lenient on players.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
All right, truly101... you called down the thunder, well now you've got it! You see that? It says Alabama Crimson Tide! Take a good look at him, truly... 'cause that's how you're gonna end up! The Blue Devils are finished, you understand? I see Duke blue, I kill the man wearin' it! So run, you cur... RUN! Tell all the other curs the law's comin'! You tell 'em I'M coming... and hell's coming with me, you hear? Hell's coming with me!

N9jUZBS.jpg

Bad news though, I think ECU stole your upset bid (and squandered it) but now is still the best time to sneak in and get that win.
At the end of the game though. When you did everything you could but Jabari Parker still dropped 25 on you, and when you figured him out, Rodney Hood dropped another 28 on you, and you warm up that plane to head back to Tuscaloosa, we'll be there to send you off

74343-Tombstone-well-bye-gif-hji0.gif

Speaking of heading to Tuscaloosa, my dad and I drive down in two days. I know have a hat and shirt to wear with the rest of the Crimson Tide faithful. He wears a Duke hat to the football games so its only fair.

Hey FSU, at least you know youre back now! Once you start getting star players involved in scandals you know your teams back on the map!

Meier

Don't think for a second FSU isn't at least partially in on this. They clearly knew about the investigation and chose to ignore it.

If a player is charged, they're automatically suspended. There's no charge so there's nothing to "ignore" yet.

TPD is notoriously corrupt. Not corrupt for FSU, just the typical small town corrupt cops with giant egos. They charge FSU players all the time for anything, they like having the power.

Either way, this is about to get a whole lot uglier, for both Jaboo and the Victim (because this is the internet and people already have her FB and Twitter info, won't be long before they have her cell #) so yeah. This is gonna ensure Johnny Hatecrime gets his second Heisman pretty much.

Damn. Hate that kid.

pxleyes

Banned
If a player is charged, they're automatically suspended. There's no charge so there's nothing to "ignore" yet.

That's great coach speak, but when your starting QB is accused of rape, you don't just sit back. The idea the university just went "well, they haven't done anything in months, guess we can forget about that one" is just a little questionable. Seems like a poor judgement call to not follow up and demand the case move forward or be dropped. To allow it to hang in limbo is if nothing else negligent.

If this were my kid, or my player, I would demand an explanation or movement on the case. I cant imagine just hoping it would blow over.

That's great coach speak, but when your starting QB is accused of rape, you don't just sit back. The idea the university just went "well, they haven't done anything in months, guess we can forget about that one" is just a little questionable. Seems like a poor judgement call to not follow up and demand the case move forward or be dropped. To allow it to hang in limbo is if nothing else negligent.

Nobody knew he was even accused until the media came forward with it. They knew he was a suspect. Big difference.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth

If this were my kid, or my player, I would demand an explanation or movement on the case. I cant imagine just hoping it would blow over.

Winston and his lawyer were supposedly told the case was closed. That is movement. They didn't think it was hanging in limbo.

So you think the university "should have done more"?

Fun fact:

Alabama wont face a team in 2014 with a winning record in 2013 until October 18th only face 4 teams with winning records next year.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
I didn't realize that. Got a link?

The alleged victim's statement is pretty damning in this area:

Detective Angulo specifically refused to collect Winston's DNA or interview Winston's roommate who witnessed the attack. Detective Angulo stated that such activity would alert Winston and the matter could go public.
If the victim had been aware that Winston's attorney was alerted as far back as February, she would have insisted that Tallahassee Police Department immediately collect DNA and interview, at the very least, Winston's roommate who witnessed the attack.

The victim was devastated when she learned late last week that the Tallahassee Police Department had informed Winston's attorney as far back as February, which allowed him all of this time to create his defense and prepare his witnesses. The victim cannot fathom that the State Attorney's office was not given the same opportunity.
In light of the fact that this matter has now been made public, here are a few of the many questions the victim and the family have:

1. If Winstorfs attorney was aware of the case in February 2013, why didn't Detective Angulo collect DNA evidence, interview Winston, and conduct a proper investigation.
While it doesn't say that Winston and FSU were told it was closed (though I believe his attorney has asserted as much in other articles), it is puzzling why TPD would tell the victim that they didn't want to take a DNA sample from Winston because they did not want to alert him to the investigation, while at the same time they were informing his attorney of the investigation.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Fun fact:

Alabama wont face a team in 2014 with a winning record in 2013 until October 18th only face 4 teams with winning records next year.

Should tell all these name schools to stop falling apart before we play them. Looking at you, penn state/michigan/VT/WVU. I'd start worrying now, Wisconsin.

Meier

Here is some key information:

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. — A December 2012 sexual battery investigation involving Florida State quarterback Jameis Winston came to a halt when the complainant decided she did not want to press charges, an e-mail sent Nov. 12 by City Manager Anita Favors Thompson to City Commissioners said. The Tallahassee Democrat obtained the e-mail Tuesday.

The case became active again last week, following media requests which prompted a review by the city's legal department and ultimately the State Attorney's office.

In the e-mail, Favors Thompson said the Tallahassee Police Department followed up on the case referred to it by Florida State University police "against FSU football player Jameis Winston" by a woman who indicated she was intoxicated at a local bar and was taken advantage of while impaired. TPD initiated an investigation and began to interview witnesses and compile details on the case, but stopped getting responses from the woman and could no longer contact her.

"Shortly thereafter a representative of the young woman's family who is an attorney contacted TPD and said the young woman had changed her mind and did not wish to prosecute," the e-mail said.
Meggs' reviewed the case following day, Nov. 13, and it was determined more police work had to be done before the dormant case could be wrapped up. The police department then switched the case status from "open-inactive" to "open-active," thereby making the investigative file and nearly everything about the case off-limits to the public.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...a-state-sexual-battery-investigation/3643845/

mre

But why did they ask for the investigation to be closed?
"When the attorney contacted Detective (Scott) Angulo immediately after Winston was identified, Detective Angulo told the attorney that Tallahassee was a big football town and the victim needs to think long and hard before proceeding against him because she will be raked over the coals and her life will be made miserable," the family said.
http://www.tampabay.com/sports/coll...-about-pursuing-jameis-winston-matter/2153364

mre

At the end of the game though. When you did everything you could but Jabari Parker still dropped 25 on you, and when you figured him out, Rodney Hood dropped another 28 on you, and you warm up that plane to head back to Tuscaloosa, we'll be there to send you off

74343-Tombstone-well-bye-gif-hji0.gif

Speaking of heading to Tuscaloosa, my dad and I drive down in two days. I know have a hat and shirt to wear with the rest of the Crimson Tide faithful. He wears a Duke hat to the football games so its only fair.
U3G90i3.gif

Meier

I posted that link earlier. I'm not shocked if a detective did say that, but without any sort of recording or written communication that's a pretty big leap to just believe whatever this attorney is saying as fact in terms of quotes are concerned.

In the interest of fairness, the AP just published this story with the girl's attorney who is claiming she did not state they didn't wish to prosecute.

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (AP) — The attorney representing the alleged victim in a sexual assault investigation involving Florida State quarterback Jameis Winston says her client never said she did not want to press charges.

Patricia Carroll said Wednesday it's not true that the case about the alleged December 2012 assault was placed on hold because the victim did not want to prosecute, as a Tallahassee official told city commissioners in an email.

Carroll says the alleged victim was trying to get on with her life after it became apparent the Tallahassee Police Department was not seriously investigating the case. TPD did not respond to calls seeking comment.
http://collegefootball.ap.org/article/victims-lawyer-critical-police-winston-case

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
I posted that link earlier. I'm not shocked if a detective did say that, but without any sort of recording or written communication that's a pretty big leap to just believe whatever this attorney is saying as fact in terms of quotes are concerned.

Somewhere out there is an employee of the NSA that's also a college football fan who knows the truth.

Kevtones

According to the statement, the woman said she was raped on Dec. 7, 2012, and reported it to law enforcement. The woman, a student at Florida State at the time, identified the perpetrator as Winston in January and became concerned "that she would be targeted on campus."

Was this known before? I thought it was assault. Now it's being defined as rape. Shit's getting really real.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
http://www.syracuse.com/patrick-stevens/index.ssf/2013/11/acc_football_weekend_rewind_al.html

:lol, check out the Coastal Divisions potential 32 tie breaking scenarios.

I had UNC winning, and they pretty much can't win any tie breakers, but they can be involved in the tie breaker.

Picked Clemson, because who saw Famous Raper coming? (there's a dark underlying tone here)

USC beating Stanford got me. Arizona State still holds the lead on that side. Missouri with it's 2 tough games gives me a shot to get South Carolina right (as well as Alabama beating Auburn). If OSUsw beats Baylor, think I'm in good position for getting that right. Has Central Florida locked up the AACBEAST, or is there a chance for Lolisville? Totally missed on Michigan, but surprise, OSUn is going to win.

Top Bottom