• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football 2013 |Week 13| _ E ... _ A N _ ... _ A _ A

Meier

Dude, get a grip.

??? I just said that even if the law decides in his favor, I don't think the girl is a liar per se. She might have felt like it was an assault in retrospect regardless of what the outcome of the case is.

squicken

Really shady stuff by the police departments there. There's no way there's not some villain to this story, however it goes

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Really shady stuff by the police departments there. There's no way there's not some villain to this story, however it goes
Yep. Even if Winston is completely cleared, TPD still comes out of this story looking dirty. And rightfully so, if what we've heard so far has been truthful.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
if he's innocent, he's about as much a victim of the police's corruption/incompetence, because it doesn't do him any favors by covering this up.

He that won't be names ‏@Douche McFuckFaceBGID 41m
It took the state attorney's office one week to match the DNA. Police didn't, or wouldn't do it, in ten months.

If you're about to hook up with a drunk girl, and you can tell she has some reservations about it...just stop right there. "I don't know about this" may as well mean "no". Inebriation distorts your mind and has you slightly more open to doing things you wouldn't normally do when sober, but sobriety will come when you wake up in the morning. Then once you have your bearings and recall the events of the past night, a new perspective may arise.

mre

Given the timing of the initial report (which was, I believe, at something like 4AM), it is unlikely that the victim sobered up and decided to "cry" rape out of some sort of guilt or regret. It is not looking great for Jameis.

It would take her being a malevolent liar at this point for him to be innocent. This seems unlikely to me.

I was holding out hope the victim just misidentified Winston. That she was drunk or something and just remembered wrong. Nope.

So what did you think of those Duke Lacrosse players?

LegoDad

GAF Pick'em Week 13 Games

Oklahoma @ Kansas State by 6
Cincinnati @ Houston by 10
Mississippi State @ Arkansas by 6
Texas A&M @ LSU by 6
Wisconsin @ Minnesota by 10
BYU @ Notre Dame by6
Nebraska @ Penn State by 6
Arizona State @ UCLA by 6
Missouri @ Ole Miss by 6
Baylor @ Oklahoma State by 11
Boise State @ San Diego State by 7
Washington @ Oregon State by 6

Lonestar

someone at TD compiled a "known so far" timeline on this:

Jameis Winston rape allegation timeline (Posted on 11/21/13 at 12:51 am)10
The current timeline of events as we know them according to released statements

12/7/2012 (4:01a) - Female FSU calls TPD to report a rape. According to released report:
quote:
Rape ocurred from 1:30a to 2:00a
Suspect was unidentified
Rape happened in an apt
Photos of injuries were taken
Evidence was collected

12/7/2012 to 2/2013 - FSUs attorney begins representing Winston at some point

1/2013 - Suspect was identified as Winston. Victim contacted attorney who then spoke to TPD detective. Also, Winstons roommate was identified as a witness to the act

1/2013 - Victims attorney warned by TPD detective that Tallahasse was a "big football town and the victim needs to think long and hard before proceeding against him because she will be raked over the coals and her life will be made miserable."

2/2013 - Contact broken off with victim and TPD

2/2013 - Winston attorney (who also represents FSU) notified by TPD that the case was closed, because the victim had chosen not to continue

4/2013 - Victim requested results, and was notified by TPD that BAC levels were within legal limits

11/11/2013 - tmz contacts Tallahassee asking for a copy of the police report. No information provided for 2 days

11/12/2013 - Tallahassee city officials exchange emails about the media request stating that the girl was drunk the night of the incident and that police "stopped getting responses from the young woman and could no longer contact her for additional follow up and information after many attempts to do so."

11/12/2013 - Prosecutors are notified for the first time of the rape report

11/13/2013 - tmz identifies Winston as suspect in 11 month hidden rape allegation

11/13/2013 - Tallahassee officials state the case was never closed, only inactive

11/13/2013 - Case was reactivated by prosecutors

11/14/2013 - Victim leaves FSU

11/20/2013 - Victims family releases statement
quote:
Was told by TPD that victims BAC was within legal limits
Was not aware Winston and attorney had been notified
Was not aware the case had been closed
Shocked that the states atty had not been notified
Angry that FSU PD was given a copy of the report, since Winston atty is also FSU atty
11/21/2013 - Media reports that Winstons DNA is a match to evidence taken from victim

jakncoke

Banned
we're going to lose to Nebraska and hopefully Wisconsin doesnt beat us by 50. Just 2 more years of this then back to being able to care about bowls games again!

hold onto to ya butts

Haha you are just salivating now.

Everything going to plan. We beat Stanford to let you back into the P12 race, FSU loses Jameis, Baylor loses to OSU or whatever.

Problem is Ohio State ain't gonna lose in the Conference of Scrubs so I doubt you jump them. Still though. You'd get most of the dominoes. And I guess Ohio State getting trucked in a championship game would be a fitting way to end the BCS era.

ag-my001

Obviously the most important thing here is for the state attorney to get to the truth. If the timing of the report and the BAC levels are correct (and no real reason to doubt them right now), then things won't be going too well for Winston in the near future.

On the less important football front, how could this affect the polls? We've seen Miami plummet, not just because they lost, but because they lost pathetically without their star RB. There was a mention that the playoff committee might take things like injuries into account when they select the four teams. The computers won't know that Winston is missing, but the voters will. Any chance FSU drops some votes if he's not with/likely to be with the team?

Oklahoma @ Kansas State by 4
Cincinnati @ Houston by 7
Mississippi State @ Arkansas by 4
Texas A&M @ LSU by 4
Wisconsin @ Minnesota by 7
BYU @ Notre Dame by 4
Nebraska @ Penn State by 4
Arizona State @ UCLA by 7
Missouri @ Ole Miss by 4
Baylor @ Oklahoma State by 10
Boise State @ San Diego State by 4
Washington @ Oregon State by 4

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
One apparently has a positive DNA match, the other had 46 non-matches.

None of them had a positive DNA match. The only male DNA they found on Crystal Mangum was from some other guy she had sex with the day before. The Durham police dept decided to not report that because they "didn't want to drag someone else into the investigation"

EDIT: nvm, I see what you were saying.

Limedust

Haha you are just salivating now.

Everything going to plan. We beat Stanford to let you back into the P12 race, FSU loses Jameis, Baylor loses to OSU or whatever.

Problem is Ohio State ain't gonna lose in the Conference of Scrubs so I doubt you jump them. Still though. You'd get most of the dominoes. And I guess Ohio State getting trucked in a championship game would be a fitting way to end the BCS era.

UT-Chat will be destroyed, but...
Auburn is ranked #6 BCS
Mizzou is ranked #8 BCS

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Obviously the most important thing here is for the state attorney to get to the truth. If the timing of the report and the BAC levels are correct (and no real reason to doubt them right now), then things won't be going too well for Winston in the near future.

On the less important football front, how could this affect the polls? We've seen Miami plummet, not just because they lost, but because they lost pathetically without their star RB. There was a mention that the playoff committee might take things like injuries into account when they select the four teams. The computers won't know that Winston is missing, but the voters will. Any chance FSU drops some votes if he's not with/likely to be with the team?

I can't imagine them dropping enough to get passed in the BCS rankings unless they lose. Even if they play visibly worse on offense the human polls probably won't drop them enough to make up for the computers that have them at #1/#2.

And even then I think the only game they could possibly blow even with the backup QB is the ACC championship against... (maybe) Duke.

squicken

Obviously everyone wants justice done first and foremost

But selfishly, I really hate the poop storm that will come when the national media picks up on this and we get the "college football is too big the cops cover up rape for the sake of wins" from Headline News pundits. And I guess there's some truth to that if the police have behaved as the accusations/timeline seem to suggest. I can't remember all the details at Vandy, but that's ugly too. Not a good look for CFB.

Lonestar

I'm waiting on the Penn State-style program killing. THAT TOWN COVERED UP RAPE TO PROTECT THE FOOTBALL PROGRAM.

Obviously everyone wants justice done first and foremost

But selfishly, I really hate the poop storm that will come when the national media picks up on this and we get the "college football is too big the cops cover up rape for the sake of wins" from Headline News pundits. And I guess there's some truth to that if the police have behaved as the accusations/timeline seem to suggest. I can't remember all the details at Vandy, but that's ugly too. Not a good look for CFB.

It's not like this is exclusive to the College level or even just to football.

Look at this email OSU sent me regarding this weeks game tickets.

"We don't want you to miss the last home football game of the season. Below are instructions on how to forward your tickets to a friend. Another option is to forward the tickets to yourself using the email address associated with your account. The tickets can then be printed after you have forwarded them to yourself. "

Why is the first option to give my tickets away!

We dont want you to miss the final home game, but for real you should miss the final home game and give these tickets away.

Limedust

BZhvAAmIEAAQbHu.jpg

Nick Saban said:
"Do you think I sit around all day looking at magazines or what?" Saban said. "I don't even know what you're talking about. You asked a question every week that I don't know anything about. You need to come here and walk around and follow me around for like a week. --- "I'm happy for A.J., and I'm sure it looks great. You asked me something the other day that came out, like I was supposed to be right on the edge of my seat. That's all I've got to worry about."

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2013/11/20/5128346/nick-saban-aj-mccarron-si-cover

Enfinit

All of this whole Jameis stuff just seems fishy, especially with the "he said, she said" nonsense and the timing of the whole ordeal. Just seems weird for this to be happening right now instead of back in February.

I mean, I'm certainly not one to judge a book by its cover, but after watching Jameis extensively and getting to know (what I thought) was him and his character, its a little disturbing that he might have done something like this. I'm not saying he did, nor am I saying he didn't.

My theory is Jameis and the girl were drunk, banged, then she realized that she didn't want to after the fact. I would be horribly, horribly surprised if he actually raped her. Then things blew up, and I wouldn't be surprised if there was somebody on the victim's side that's salivating at the publicity and money-side of it.

I mean, here we have the star of a national-championship contending team. He's an all-star celebrity of college football and sports in America. Any American sports fan knows who he is and his abilities. His leadership abilities, apparent humbleness, attitude, accolades and intelligence are all profusely stated on any ESPN broadcast, as well as an abundance of news articles. Up until now, love him or hate him, everyone had a perception of Jameis that he's a wonderful guy with a bright future, unparalleled leadership qualities, and a great personality.

And out of nowhere, we have a victim that is now saying "that man raped me." What's that do to the victim? If she didn't want media attention, why would this be brought up now? Again, I'm not saying he did, and I'm not saying he didn't. It just seemed odd, given the initial suspect report and the fact that the victim allegedly didn't want to pursue the case back in February. It just seems fishy that this all comes back up, and the victim's back involved, right in the mist of all the national championship and media spotlight.

I mean, I'm just another student here hoping that our national championship dreams don't go to shit my senior year. The buzz around campus is surprisingly neutral. I haven't heard anyone being like "there's no way he did it!" or anyone saying "he definitely did it!". We're all just kinda sitting here watching what happens. Even the school paper is just like "here's what we know, here's what he don't. Let's just sit back and hope for the best."

All of this whole Jameis stuff just seems fishy, especially with the "he said, she said" nonsense and the timing of the whole ordeal. Just seems weird for this to be happening right now instead of back in February.

I mean, I'm certainly not one to judge a book by its cover, but after watching Jameis extensively and getting to know (what I thought) was him and his character, its a little disturbing that he might have done something like this. I'm not saying he did, nor am I saying he didn't.

My theory is Jameis and the girl were drunk, banged, then she realized that she didn't want to after the fact. I would be horribly, horribly surprised if he actually raped her. Then things blew up, and I wouldn't be surprised if there was somebody on the victim's side that's salivating at the publicity and money-side of it.

I mean, here we have the star of a national-championship contending team. He's an all-star celebrity of college football and sports in America. Any American sports fan knows who he is and his abilities. His leadership abilities, apparent humbleness, attitude, accolades and intelligence are all profusely stated on any ESPN broadcast, as well as an abundance of news articles. Up until now, love him or hate him, everyone had a perception of Jameis that he's a wonderful guy with a bright future, unparalleled leadership qualities, and a great personality.

And out of nowhere, we have a victim that is now saying "that man raped me." What's that do to the victim? If she didn't want media attention, why would this be brought up now? Again, I'm not saying he did, and I'm not saying he didn't. It just seemed odd, given the initial suspect report and the fact that the victim allegedly didn't want to pursue the case back in February. It just seems fishy that this all comes back up, and the victim's back involved, right in the mist of all the national championship and media spotlight.

I mean, I'm just another student here hoping that our national championship dreams don't go to shit my senior year. The buzz around campus is surprisingly neutral. I haven't heard anyone being like "there's no way he did it!" or anyone saying "he definitely did it!". We're all just kinda sitting here watching what happens. Even the school paper is just like "here's what we know, here's what he don't. Let's just sit back and hope for the best."

If im following the timeline correctly, and please someone point out if im not, she brought all this up far before he was "famous" and was a big star. Other news outlets dug it up again and now its blown up because hes a big star unlike when the initial report was filed.

Limedust

And out of nowhere, we have a victim that is now saying "that man raped me."

The initial allegation was made to the TPD minutes/hours after it occurred, and DNA evidence was taken before the victim apparently knew the identity of the other person. The DNA is now known to be a match.

Not passing judgement, and I'll just wait and see what happens in the investigation.

mre

As others have pointed out, the most damning bit of evidence against the bolded is the timing of her complaint. She went to the cops at ~4AM, almost immediately after having sex with Jameis. Whether it was consensual or not, I don't think she sobered up that quickly and changed her mind. The timing of the report is very troubling for Jameis.

Enfinit

If im following the timeline correctly, and please someone point out if im not, she brought all this up far before he was "famous" and was a big star. Other news outlets dug it up again and now its blown up because hes a big star unlike when the initial report was filed.
She brought this up back in February, where the case was then allegedly closed and she elected to drop charges and the case, where TPD stated they couldn't contact her to get any more information. Now that TMZ brings it back up a month ago, and the case is resumed. Now, I don't know if she decided to drop the charges because of the detective's apparent threat, but it just all seems fishy.

The initial allegation was made to the TPD minutes/hours after it occurred, and DNA evidence was taken before the victim apparently knew the identity of the other person. The DNA is now known to be a match.

Not passing judgement, and I'll just wait and see what happens in the investigation.
The matched sample doesn't necessarily indicate rape. But it certainly doesn't look good.

As others have pointed out, the most damning bit of evidence against the bolded is the timing of her complaint. She went to the cops at ~4AM, almost immediately after having sex with Jameis. Whether it was consensual or not, I don't think she sobered up that quickly and changed her mind. The timing of the report is very troubling for Jameis.
It's not good at all. I have a hard time believing that he physically forced her to have sex with him, but that's just me. It isn't going to end well for Jaboo.

tokkun

Of course it is weird. There is every indication on the surface that the police tried to bury the case and scare off the victim because of Winston's status as a football player.

And yes, the case resurfacing also has to do with Winston being a star; it's unlikely that whomever leaked the details of the cover-up to TMZ would not have done so if Winston was not a celebrity.

So both the disappearance and reappearance of the case are related to Winston's celebrity, but neither instance seems to undermine the validity of the case.

First of all, if the woman is too drunk to give consent, it is still considered rape. You might argue that if both parties are drunk, it is unfair to assign blame just to the male partner, but that is the reality of the way it is treated by law and society.

But secondly, the victim anticipated that people might make this claim, and had the alcohol content of her blood tested when being examined for the rape. The test showed that her BAC was within legal limits at the time of the exam, which was just two hours after the alleged assault. So that suggests she was not extremely drunk when it took place.

And third, the report mentions that policed photographed "injuries" from the assault. That seems to hint against the idea of consensual sex that defenders of Winston are floating.

As mentioned, it is coming up now because someone leaked details of the case to the media after the police had tried to cover it up, and Winston/FSU's prominence probably helped influence the leaker.

It seems like you are dancing around the idea that the victim is pushing this story because of Winston's fame. Keep in mind that the rape was reported immediately, but Winston wasn't even tied to the case for another month. So the idea that this was a claim made because of his fame, seems weak. And the idea that she only named him later because of his fame is undermined by the DNA evidence that suggests he did have sex with her that night.

Yeah the only thing "fishy" was the way the TPD handled the situation. It's pretty clear a victim came forward and accused Winston of an assault and the DNA matched up with her claim.

Enfinit

It seems like you are dancing around the idea that the victim is pushing this story because of Winston's fame. Keep in mind that the rape was reported immediately, but Winston wasn't even tied to the case for another month. So the idea that this was a claim made because of his fame, seems weak. And the idea that she only named him later because of his fame is undermined by the DNA evidence that suggests he did have sex with her that night.
I didn't mean to indicate that the claim had to with his celebrity status, just that the timing had to do with his celebrity status. If he wasn't where he was now, and he was just a third-string back-up QB, we wouldn't be here discussing this.

I agree that the evidence that they did, in fact, have sex is rather abundant in the victim's favor. I'm pretty sure they banged at the least. But whether or not it was forceful is going to be a whole shitstorm to figure out.

I didn't mean to indicate that the claim had to with his celebrity status, just that the timing had to do with his celebrity status. If he wasn't where he was now, and he was just a third-string back-up QB, we wouldn't be here discussing this.

I agree that the evidence that they did, in fact, have sex is rather abundant in the victim's favor. I'm pretty sure they banged at the least. But whether or not it was forceful is going to be a whole shitstorm to figure out.

This is the case with almost 99% of crimes, we dont hear about all kinds of crimes. But when someones famous of course its going to blow up.

Enfinit

This is the case with almost 99% of crimes, we dont hear about all kinds of crimes. But when someones famous of course its going to blow up.
I just find it odd that this wasn't taken care of back in February. According to reports, the whole reason the case was closed (or "inactive", rather) was because the detective threatened the victim to keep her mouth shut, thus it scared her away. Which may or may not be the case. But now, at the height of Jameis' celebrity status things are different? The timing of the whole thing is just makes you go "Hmmm...."

I'm not saying Jameis didn't do anything wrong. I'm just wondering, if she went to the hospital and filed a police case right after it happened, why the heck wasn't this dealt with? TPD cover-up?

I mean, TPD is pretty shitty so I wouldn't put this beyond them.

I can't imagine them dropping enough to get passed in the BCS rankings unless they lose. Even if they play visibly worse on offense the human polls probably won't drop them enough to make up for the computers that have them at #1/#2.

And even then I think the only game they could possibly blow even with the backup QB is the ACC championship against... (maybe) Duke.

If Winston does get charged and suspended, I could see the human polls dropping FSU behind (the) Ohio State (University) and Baylor. I think that would be enough to overcome their computer advantage. Plus, it's no given their third stringer comes in and wins games.

I just find it odd that this wasn't taken care of back in February. According to reports, the whole reason the case was closed (or "inactive", rather) was because the detective threatened the victim to keep her mouth shut, thus it scared her away. Which may or may not be the case. But now, at the height of Jameis' celebrity status things are different? The timing of the whole thing is just makes you go "Hmmm...."

I'm not saying Jameis didn't do anything wrong. I'm just wondering, if she went to the hospital and filed a police case right after it happened, why the heck wasn't this dealt with? TPD cover-up?

I think thats where everyone's at now.

If Winston does get charged and suspended, I could see the human polls dropping FSU behind (the) Ohio State (University) and Baylor. I think that would be enough to overcome their computer advantage. Plus, it's no given their third stringer comes in and wins games.

It IS possible for the #2 team to win with their 2nd string QB and still get dropped in the polls. AKA the first half of our season.

Lonestar

Penn State. People forget that the cops knew about sandusky for years, and they quietly let it drop. Remember the missing DA, and the cops who listened to a confession from Sandusky to the mother of the child? Town cops protecting the football program.

Meier

That would be ludicrous. We're obviously notably better with him, but our defense is one of the best in the country and we have 3 great RBs who have all had nice seasons. Probably the best WR corps in the country. No doubt in my mind that FSU wins the next 3 games with Maguire if it comes to that.

Tomahawk Nation has some collected tweets from people who were at the press conference from Jansen (Winston's attorney): http://www.tomahawknation.com/2013/11/21/5129838/jameis-winstons-attorney-consensual-sex.

Enfinit

Penn State. People forget that the cops knew about sandusky for years, and they quietly let it drop. Remember the missing DA, and the cops who listened to a confession from Sandusky to the mother of the child. Town cops protecting the football program.
Hopefully this doesn't escalate to that level. Although with the legal system of Florida and the NCAA, it is going to be a lengthy process. I'd be surprised that, even if Jameis was convicted, the ruling wouldn't be before the national championship.

Okay, I'm back. :)

My depression over last year's season was so bad that I stopped reading all college football coverage while still suffering through the abysmal games. I'm back in Auburn and immersed in the culture, so I can't help but want to talk about it online.

My heart is healing.

Lonestar

My depression over last year's season was so bad that I stopped reading all college football coverage while still suffering through the abysmal games. I'm back in Auburn and immersed in the culture, so I can't help but want to talk about it online.

My heart is healing.

never heard of you

Draconian

My heart is healing.

Oh goodness, an Auburn fan? I guess you left here two seasons ago?

Top Bottom