• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football 2013 |Week 14| It's Rivalry Week! (fucla!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingGondo

Banned
@ESPNRobertSmith: People don't understand how much less exciting today would have been if we had a playoff with 8 or more teams. Be careful what you ask for.
Fuck clowns who advocate this position.

You can tell he's an MCU alum too. Somehow I doubt it would have been as exciting if that 2-point conversion was good.

TS-08

Your point doesn't have much of one, really. Mizzou won 11 games in a down division due to the top 3 powers being completely hapless this year. They still won those games and have a chance for more, so just be happy with that. As much as you might want it to be so, people will not give Mizzou credit for running the gauntlet in the division simply because they're the new kid and most recognize that if Georgia and Florida are at their typical strength, Mizzou is a 8-9 win team.

Just in Time, get the fuck out with that persecution complex for MCU.

None of this changes the fact that we are "competing" in the SEC in our second year. What difference does it make that it's because the East is down? No one wanted to qualify our chances of success when we entered the conference, but everyone wants to now. It isn't Mizzou's fault people assumed that traditional powers would always be at their best. Mizzou and its fans weren't the ones pretending that the SEC was this invincible force that could never be challenged by outsiders.

So Just in Time, what's your prediction? OSU hangs 70 on FSU or what?

FSU forfeits before the game since they know there's no shot of winning?

I have a legit reason to hate OSU, I'm from Madison, Wisc. We're bred to hate OSU. And rightly so given the recent history of the rivalry.

In the same sentence homers like you talk about how shitty Wisc is and should never be ranked, then turn right around and say how the Badgers are a quality win so you should be qualified for the NC. Yeah...

Although after that Penn St. loss, you're probably getting your wish, we might not be, but that sure doesn't help your strength of schedule/quailty wins argument.

Penn State is a common opponent so your loss to them doesn't hurt us that much. Penn State just turns into another decent win, and the fact we blew them out then they beat a top 15 team this week helps a bit if anything. That B1G depth.

Florida State is just as untested as we are. That is just a fact. I don't know what would happen but the audacity that people have to claim we have no chance is just mind boggling. There is no supporting evidence whatsoever.

Jamesways

I've been talking you guys up for two months now, and how do you repay me?

By laying an egg against State Penn. So thanks for that.

Tell me about it. What a terrible game.

Well, at least we'll still get a Jan 1 game hopefully. Wisc fans travel well, so there's that.

Arkos

Nose how to spell and rede to
Penn State is a common opponent so your loss to them doesn't hurt us that much. Penn State just turns into another decent win, and the fact we blew them out then they beat a top 15 team this week helps a bit if anything. That B1G depth..

This is a troll account confirmed. What a fucking joke lol.

andycapps

None of this changes the fact that we are "competing" in the SEC in our second year. What difference does it make that it's because the East is down? No one wanted to qualify our chances of success when we entered the conference, but everyone wants to now. It isn't Mizzou's fault people assumed that traditional powers would always be at their best. Mizzou and its fans weren't the ones pretending that the SEC was this invincible force that could never be challenged by outsiders.
What exactly are you looking for? Credit? Mizzou is good and not a lot of people are talking about them. They're probably a better team than tOSU and probably a decent match for FSU. Auburn should be a real challenge.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Just think how exciting the NFL would be if the playoffs were eliminated and the two teams with the best records were instantly paired in the Super Bowl!

Apples and oranges. The week to week results in regular season in the NFL means next to jack shit. Teams that finish a game over .500 can go on to win the SB.

The same thing will happen to college football when 2 top 5 teams playing in the last week of the regular season doesn't mean anything.

2002 is longer ago than 2006 and 2007

OSU is 6-6 in bowl games this century. 2-4 in their last 6. 1-2 in title games. 1-5 vs the SEC

tOSU is 2-0 in their last two bcs games, beating Oregon and Arkansas when no one gave us a chance. Ohio State is 6-3 in BCS bowl games since the era began, this will be our fourth title game in the BCS era, the most of any program if I am not mistaken (thus why we are the best program in the nation).

And the SEC stat is adorable, considering it won't matter as no SEC team is making the title game this year :)

Arkos

What exactly are you looking for? Credit? Mizzou is good and not a lot of people are talking about them. They're probably a better team than tOSU and probably a decent match for FSU. Auburn should be a real challenge.

I think he's just upset that they're not getting the respect.

We respect you dude, your beef is not with us.

StoopKid

tOSU is 2-0 in their last two bcs games, beating Oregon and Arkansas when no one gave us a chance. Ohio State is 6-3 in BCS bowl games since the era began, this will be our fourth title game in the BCS era, the most of any program if I am not mistaken (thus why we are the best program in the nation).

And the SEC stat is adorable, considering it won't matter as no SEC team is making the title game this year :)

Yea and y'all got embarrassed in two of them.

MSU needs to hold us under 20 if they want a legit shot at winning. I don't see that happening.

I didn't see six happening. I bet adorable Minny didn't see three happening. That D is legit, man. But I'm half talking shit anyway; I'd fully expect you guys to handle them. It's fucking Sparty, amirite?

But they are 11-1, after all, with what in hindsight is a throwaway road loss to a rival two months ago, they might as well be unbeaten. If anything it's bullshit the B1G is so shitty you won't get any genuine credit even if you do beat them.

The only thing that's missing here is some talk about how OSU has been scared straight since Tattoogate, and some discussion about the number of Rhodes Scholars they have.

woof, woof.

This is a troll account confirmed. What a fucking joke lol.

So it is only a good win to beat a to 15 team if they are in the SEC then? Penn State should have beaten UCF, who is likely going to a BCS bowl game. The same UCF came within two points of South Carolina.

Oh but since Penn State is in the B1G, it is not a sign of depth. Because your irrational hate for the conference and regurgitating what the tools on ESPN say.

KingGondo

Banned
Well he's right.

Even if there was a 4 team playoff this year, Bama losing this game wouldn't even mean much.
But the game wasn't exciting because of the BCS. It was exciting because it was the Iron Bowl.

There would be way more exciting games because if there was a playoff because everyone would be fighting for playoff positioning. And everyone would still care about the rivalry games because... they're rivalry games.

andycapps

So it is only a good win to beat a to 15 team if they are in the SEC then? Penn State should have beaten UCF, who is likely going to a BCS bowl game. The same UCF came within two points of South Carolina.

Oh but since Penn State is in the B1G, it is not a sign of depth. Because your irrational hate for the conference and regurgitating what the tools on ESPN say.
Threeballz logic. We're coming full circle, folks!

Apples and oranges. The week to week results in regular season in the NFL means next to jack shit. Teams that finish a game over .500 can go on to win the SB.

The same thing will happen to college football when 2 top 5 teams playing in the last week of the regular season doesn't mean anything.

yes, because if this season had a 4-team playoff it would make sense for Alabama to throw the game against Auburn
wait

squicken

Yep. I love that we live and die week to week in college football. I liked the old bowl system even, before the BCS. As long as their is so little non-confernce play, the system of crowning a champion is always going to be flawed. The Bowl System at least meant their weren't 6 or 7 decent bowls and then 40 crap ones. Getting that bowl invite was a big deal, and arguing about who was really good and who wasn't was part of the fun /offmylawn

TS-08

You responded to me. I'm not looking for anything from you. Someone mocked the talking point about Mizzou not hanging in the SEC. Another poster pointed out that the East was down. I responded that that isn't really relevant. None of the sports writers, broadcasters, etc. who doubted our move to the SEC said we would have this type of season when Georgia and Florida were down. It was simply said that all those wins in the B12 mean nothing in the SEC. So now that we have matched our best season in the B12, and are throwing those arguments back in the faces of those who made them, people are using the "down East" excuse. I don't see how that's a valid response. It doesn't change the fact we exceeded expectations. If someone didn't account for disappointing seasons, that isn't our fault.

I'm not looking for anything other than a conversation on a message board. Save the talk about seeking credit.

sounds like salt to me

I really don't see how. Honestly - we should have lost to Akron; we could have lost to UConn; MSU held us to six points and -95 yards rushing or something ungodly. Fans have been calling for our OC's head virtually all season. Then today we watch "#3" Ohio State allow 41 points to this shitshow? Okay, call it salt.

Arkos

If you want to have a serious discussion about the relative merits of conferences and teams and the influence of the media and other things on people's perception of those conferences and teams, then you should change your demeanor. Spouting off clever retorts and propaganda for your own point of view is only going to elicit the same response from people that disagree with you (and obviously, as you know, there is a lot of hate for the Fuckeyes Buckeyes :p).

So just calm down and state your case, I agree that there are plenty of unfair things about the system. And as much as I hate it an undefeated team from a major conference shouldn't be jumped by a one loss team, so I agree with you there too. Let's just talk about this

I didn't see six happening. I bet adorable Minny didn't see three happening. That D is legit, man. But I'm half talking shit anyway; I'd fully expect you guys to handle them. It's fucking Sparty, amirite?

If we get outscored by a Jim Bollman MSU offense, I'm drowning myself in the Olentangy.

KingGondo

Banned
The most damning thing about this current system is that we need "BCS Experts" to explain who's positioned to win championships based on bullshit criteria.

8-team playoff or bust.

andycapps

You responded to me. I'm not looking for anything from you. Someone mocked the talking point about Mizzou not hanging in the SEC. Another poster pointed out that the East was down. I responded that that isn't really relevant. None of the sports writers, broadcasters, etc. who doubted our move to the SEC said we would have this type of season when Georgia and Florida were down. It was simply said that all those wins in the B12 mean nothing in the SEC. So now that we have matched our best season in the B12, and are throwing those arguments back in the faces of those who made them, people are using the "down East" excuse. I don't see how that's a valid response. It doesn't change the fact we exceeded expectations. If someone didn't account for disappointing seasons, that isn't our fault.

I'm not looking for anything other than a conversation on a message board. Save the talk about seeking credit.
I think you're arguing semantics and you can't see it. It's okay, it's hard to see things about our own teams (and I'm not talking down to you here). It's possible to give Mizzou credit for what they have done while still admitting the East was down (which was nobody's fault). Shit happens, it's football. Lot of people would say that Spurrier's run in the 90's was due to other programs being down, and they'd be right, but it doesn't diminish what he did.

TS-08

I think you're arguing semantics and you can't see it. It's okay, it's hard to see things about our own teams (and I'm not talking down to you here). It's possible to give Mizzou credit for what they have done while still admitting the East was down (which was nobody's fault). Shit happens, it's football. Lot of people would say that Spurrier's run in the 90's was due to other programs being down, and they'd be right, but it doesn't diminish what he did.

I'm making a very specific point about what people said about Mizzou's SEC chances when the move was made compared to where they are now. You are making an argument about the reasons for that success, which I'm not even arguing and haven't in this thread once. What I am saying is that reason is goalpost moving in the context of those initial arguments. This is as simply as I can put it:

"Mizzou won't compete in the SEC!"

*Mizzou competes in the SEC*

"Well, Mizzou won't compete in the SEC unless the East is down!"

Arkos

I'm making a very specific point about what people said about Mizzou's SEC chances when the move was made compared to where they are now. You are making an argument about the reasons for that success, which I'm not even arguing and haven't in this thread once. What I am saying is that reason is goalpost moving in the context of those initial arguments. This is as simply as I can put it:

"Mizzou won't compete in the SEC!"

*Mizzou competes in the SEC*

"Well, Mizzou won't compete in the SEC unless the East is down!"

It's not goalpost moving. The goalpost is always different when the East is down. It was the same way when Carolina won the East and went to the title game. "Making the title game" does not mean the same thing every year, that's all that anybody is saying. Of course Mizzou can compete, they obviously have, and very well at that.

TS-08

It's not goalpost moving. The goalpost is always different when the East is down. It was the same way when Carolina won the East and went to the title game. "Making the title game" does not mean the same thing every year, that's all that anybody is saying. Of course Mizzou can compete, they obviously have, and very well at that.

"Of course Mizzou can compete..." This is the problem. You are not the person that initial poster or I was talking about.

impirius

Funny, I remember the conventional wisdom before expansion being that Mizzou would compete right away and TAMU would struggle mightily in the West. Quick, someone check the archives!

Arkos

Funny, I remember the conventional wisdom before expansion being that Mizzou would compete right away and TAMU would struggle mightily in the West. Quick, someone check the archives!

Seriously, right? Anyone who is totally surprised by this is awful forgetful.

Edit: I got this gif for you
7rur55Y.gif

Thanks. Your guys played out of their minds today, so props to them for that.

I told my wife, as bad as it was, as shitty as it feels, the outcome is actually "about right" - we weren't supposed to win, and if you guys are remotely as good as you hope you are, it's a positive sign that we hung in with you like that.

If anything it's an ironic vote of confidence for this fucking staff. Gah, I just threw up in my mouth a little.

Arkos

^^ Bahaha is that the Florida game?

"Of course Mizzou can compete..." This is the problem. You are not the person that initial poster or I was talking about.

Oh, well then I guess I'm wondering who you were specifically talking about lol, I thought you were just arguing against the general consensus that Mizzou isn't "elite" in some way. My apologies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom