• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football 2013 |Week 14| It's Rivalry Week! (fucla!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Balphon

I think the state attorney pretty much confirmed there would be no movement on that this next week, so it shouldn't trip them up on the field. Off the field? Not sure when that decision would come, but BCS selections will presumably have already happened.

Yeah, probably. Certainly hasn't seemed to distract them in the past few weeks.

Arkos

Nose how to spell and rede to
Congrats, but Mizzou is benefiting from a down SEC East. At least they have a chance. Keep winning and more people will give them a chance and give them more credit.

Exactly, Carolina backed into an SEC championship game a few years ago, could have done it again this year, and I certainly don't feel like we've proven ourselves as an "SEC power" or something. First you get the wins. Then you get the respect. Edit: not saying that Mizzou "backed into" this championship game, just saying that reaching the championship game, while good, doesn't necessarily suddenly elevate you to dat elite SEC level.

Karakand

e:^toughest conference in America

Thread title change is warranted imo mods.

I don't think that highly of Brett Hundley (he's the best UCLA QB in awhile, but that's not saying much), but it's nice to not have a fucking idiot behind center like the Trogans do. They can't even throw overrated game managers like Matt Leinart out there anymore.
jf8Egbx.gif

Balphon

In other news, Hawaii up big early in their attempt to overcome tragedy and the Army Black Knights to avoid a winless season.

Go Warriors.

Arkos

I didn't say the East wasn't down. That doesn't change my point.

Well if your point is just "Mizzou can reach the SEC championship game" then yes, you're right, he's just pointing out that there is context to such a statement. You're not going to get instant SEC elite status from winning a down East. You'll start getting your respect, but certainly you can understand why its not going to instantly convince the doubters

tOSU fans shouldn't beg too hard to get the MNC game invite. How badly do they want to be blown out in an MNC game for the 3rd consecutive try? Eventually thats what they'll be notorious for.

Who's begging?

We had already accepted that we were likely going to be shut out out of the MNC. That has changed. What are we supposed to do? Ask not to be invited to it?

TS-08

Well if your point is just "Mizzou can reach the SEC championship game" then yes, you're right, he's just pointing out that there is context to such a statement.

The poster mocked the idea we wouldn't compete, which became a talking point. You and Capps are trying to qualify it. All I was saying is no one was qualifying our standing in the SEC in 2011 and 2012. We made a mistake, we should have stayed in the B12, we will do good to win 8 games. Now that we have 11 wins and an East title, it's because the East is down. That's fine, but we are still competing at the same level we did in the B12. Even if it's because of the division being down, we are still way ahead of where we were supposed to be. No one here is saying we are elite or suddenly the best - just that we are capable of winning at a very high level. You are putting it in a context in response to your argument, not mine.

Great drama and games today. I'm still mad at the big 12 for ruining rivalry Saturday for us. Guess I'll have to wait another week for the other OSU to kick our asses up in Stillwater.

Boomer...

We're screwed.

jerd

All I want is for FSU and OSU to go down next week so we can have an SEC champ vs Bama National Championship. It will be the BCS's swan song.

Who's begging?

We had already accepted that we were likely going to be shut out out of the MNC. That has changed. What are we supposed to do? Ask not to be invited to it?

nah, if you get the invite you take it, even if you're a 3 TD dog. But the 1 loss SEC champ will be just as deserving to get the invite over tOSU. So there are positives on being invited or missing out.

hKCWeqv.png

South goes about as expected. Michigan is salty. What's up with Vermont?

Or smart. We're well aware how fucking terrible we are. If there's one thing we know, it's that Ohio State people are nervous as fuck given common-opponent Michigan: Ohio defense is fucking HORRIBLE if they let THAT team ring up FORTY-ONE while MSU allowed SIX to the same team in arguably just as intense a match-up. Watch out Buckeyes. All the shit people are have been talking about your streak being worthless might be very, very true. MSU could house your asses. Just throwing that out there having seen both teams.

All the crying in the world from the south won't change the fact that if Ohio State beats Michigan State, they are in the national title game.

All the odds in the world didn't stop Ohio State from beating Miami FL in 2002, even when the refs tried to hand the game over to Miami FL in the fourth quarter (hilarious people remember the last play of the game and not all the gifted calls for Miami FL in the 4th quarter...wonder why?)

All the hate won't stop Ohio State from winning this year either.

Sad part is when Ohio State does win, the hate will just multiple. It sucks being a fanbase of the best program in college football sometimes. -_-

andycapps

I've explained it twice now. Not sure what else can be said about it.
Your point doesn't have much of one, really. Mizzou won 11 games in a down division due to the top 3 powers being completely hapless this year. They still won those games and have a chance for more, so just be happy with that. As much as you might want it to be so, people will not give Mizzou credit for running the gauntlet in the division simply because they're the new kid and most recognize that if Georgia and Florida are at their typical strength, Mizzou is a 8-9 win team.

Just in Time, get the fuck out with that persecution complex for MCU.

Or smart. We're well aware how fucking terrible we are. If there's one thing we know, it's that Ohio State people are nervous as fuck given common-opponent Michigan: Ohio defense is fucking HORRIBLE if they let THAT team ring up FORTY-ONE while MSU allowed SIX to the same team in arguably just as intense a match-up. Watch out Buckeyes. All the shit people are have been talking about your streak being worthless might be very, very true. MSU could house your asses. Just throwing that out there having seen both teams.

transitive property hoy!

Karakand

All the crying in the world from the south won't change the fact that if Ohio State beats Michigan State, they are in the national title game.

All the odds in the world didn't stop Ohio State from beating Miami FL in 2002, even when the refs tried to hand the game over to Miami FL in the fourth quarter (hilarious people remember the last play of the game and not all the gifted calls for Miami FL in the 4th quarter...wonder why?)

Sad part is when Ohio State does win, the hate will just multiple. It sucks being a fanbase of the best program in college football sometimes. -_-

ya got spunk, kid

ya got spunk

Or smart. We're well aware how fucking terrible we are. If there's one thing we know, it's that Ohio State people are nervous given common-opponent Michigan: Ohio defense is fucking HORRIBLE if they let THAT team ring up FORTY-ONE while MSU allowed SIX to the same team in arguably just as intense a match-up. Watch out Buckeyes. All the shit people are have been talking about your streak being worthless might be very, very true. MSU could house your asses. Just throwing that out there having seen both teams.

MSU's O versus our D is going to be some putrid garbage. That much is clear.

MSU needs to hold us under 20 if they want a legit shot at winning. I don't see that happening.

I've explained it twice now. Not sure what else can be said about it.

aggy has an 11 win season on their first year in the SEC, and Mizzou goes to the SEC CG on their second year. Not bad for two teams that were middling teams in the Big 12. Yes I know Johnny Football was the catalyst for a&m's success, but Mizzou hasn't changed all that much. James Franklin played in his last year or two in the Big 12 as well.

Clarence Green on Mizzou is another one of the very few players from my highschool alma that plays D1 so congrats to him!

tOSU fans shouldn't beg too hard to get the MNC game invite. How badly do they want to be blown out in an MNC game for the 3rd consecutive try? Eventually thats what they'll be notorious for.

We don't have to beg lmao. Auburn and southerners are the one's who are begging.

Get on your knees boys, it is going to take a miracle for you to get in if we win out.

ya got spunk, kid

ya got spunk

He reminds me of that domer guy who talked a lot last year until Alabama tore them a new one.

We don't have to beg lmao. Auburn and southerners are the one's who are begging.

Get on your knees boys, it is going to take a miracle for you to get in if we win out.

I actually wouldn't mind seeing tOSU in the champ game. They'll get blown out just like they always do, and we'll have a good laugh and welcome in the 4 team playoff for next year so the chances of a mismatch in the finals will be much less

Branduil

At least this is the last year we have to argue about this stupid BCS crap.

Now we'll be arguing about whether a two-loss SEC team should get the 4th playoff spot ahead of a bunch of one-loss teams from "lesser" conferences.

sounds like salt to me

On the ride home, Detroit talk radio callers were talking ad nauseam about how we got exposed today.

Have they watched us at all this season? We've been getting exposed since the Cal game. :jnc

cashman

Banned
He reminds me of that domer guy who talked a lot last year until Alabama tore them a new one.

I actually wouldn't mind seeing tOSU in the champ game. They'll get blown out just like they always do, and we'll have a good laugh and welcome in the 4 team playoff for next year so the chances of a mismatch in the finals will be much less

Was just about to say that. Also there was an Ohio State fan one year who kept on talking shit until Texas beat them in the Fiesta bowl.

Like they always do? Oh, you are taking two games that happened 5 and 6 years ago and saying that is how it always happens. Ignoring 2002. Ignoring a winning record in BCS games.

Makes sense.

If FSU and OSUn lose their CCG, does OSUs get hosed again?

Pecking Order for the title
1. Florida State
2. Ohio State
^
If these two win out, they are in. End of story.
3. Winner of the SEC title game
4. Alabama
5. Oklahoma State

So yes, they get shafted.

MIMIC

Banned
We're winning this year. 3rd time's a charm :)

(I didn't enter the CFB fray until 2004 so this is #3* for me)

*if things play out like most suspect

We're winning this year. 3rd time's a charm :)

(I didn't enter the CFB fray until 2004 so this is #3 for me)

I get the feeling this is how it is for the majority of posters here. Acting like 2002 didn't happen when at this point it is as relevant as the last two titles games tOSU was in.

Arkos

The poster mocked the idea we wouldn't compete, which became a talking point. You and Capps are trying to qualify it. All I was saying is no one was qualifying our standing in the SEC in 2011 and 2012. We made a mistake, we should have stayed in the B12, we will do good to win 8 games. Now that we have 11 wins and an East title, it's because the East is down. That's fine, but we are still competing at the same level we did in the B12. Even if it's because of the division being down, we are still way ahead of where we were supposed to be. No one here is saying we are elite or suddenly the best - just that we are capable of winning at a very high level. You are putting it in a context in response to your argument, not mine.

I don't know what else to say, I'm just pointing out that it's a fact that the East is down, but hell yeah y'all still won it. You best believe I'm proud of the Gamecocks' (first in ~20 years) East win a few years ago. I'm not trying to qualify, just to explain why you aren't going to get all the respect that you want. But I respect you bro. I respect you.

BAHAHAHAHAHA

You've got a serious complex going on there buddy. The whole world doesn't hate OSU just because it's some conspiracy.

Karakand

At least this is the last year we have to argue about this stupid BCS crap.

Now we'll be arguing about whether a two-loss SEC team should get the 4th playoff spot ahead of a bunch of one-loss teams from "lesser" conferences.

Nostranduil :bow

Jamesways

So Just in Time, what's your prediction? OSU hangs 70 on FSU or what?

FSU forfeits before the game since they know there's no shot of winning?

I have a legit reason to hate OSU, I'm from Madison, Wisc. We're bred to hate OSU. And rightly so given the recent history of the rivalry.

In the same sentence homers like you talk about how shitty Wisc is and should never be ranked, then turn right around and say how the Badgers are a quality win so you should be qualified for the NC. Yeah...

Although after that Penn St. loss, you're probably getting your wish, we might not be, but that sure doesn't help your strength of schedule/quailty wins argument.

I don't know how anyone can predict with certainty how the MNC will play out until we have a clearer picture of how this Winston garbage is going to play out.

Arkos

I get the feeling this is how it is for the majority of posters here. Acting like 2002 didn't happen when at this point it is as relevant as the last two titles games tOSU was in.

2002 is longer ago than 2006 and 2007

OSU is 6-6 in bowl games this century. 2-4 in their last 6. 1-2 in title games. 1-5 vs the SEC

In the same sentence homers like you talk about how shitty Wisc is and should never be ranked, then turn right around and say how the Badgers are a quality win so you should be qualified for the NC. Yeah....

I've been talking you guys up for two months now, and how do you repay me?

By laying an egg against State Penn. So thanks for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom