• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football 2013 |Week 3| Kiffen/Brown Farewell Tour

Status
Not open for further replies.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
God damn it, Sports Illustrated: http://www.awfulannouncing.com/2013...tml?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Finebaum tweets this:

Paul Finebaum
Perhaps, it's early to pile on Mack Brown, but a reliable source tells me Nick Saban will be visiting in Texas by as early as this Friday.
9:35 PM - 7 Sep 2013
SI reports this:
The Texas Longhorns’ embarrassing defensive performance in a 40-21 loss to Brigham Young Saturday night resulted in head coach Mack Brown firing defensive coordinator Manny Diaz. But the move may be too little, too late for Brown. The Longhorns reportedly will bring college football’s biggest coaching name to Austin for a visit. Paul Finebaum of ESPN Radio tweeted Sunday that a source said Alabama head coach Nick Saban will visit with Texas officials, possibly this week.

ZvpgdpC.jpg

Karl2177

The only game that matters this week is Iowa/ISU and it isn't even on the pick-em... Five shame, which is one more than four.

Busy ass weekend, so I couldn't join the bitch fest, but holy shit Manny Diaz needed to get fired after that game.

Hey, they just ripped the most rushing yards on our defense in the HISTORY of our school, you would think they would make some adjustments.

Manny disagreed, and stuck with the fucking nickel, leaving out fucking center wide open for a gashing every time a defensive lineman screwed up.

Also, I was alright with this season, until I heard that Manny's way to fix out bad tackling was to make sure we had more people in the area. I wanted to punch my radio when I heard that. Yes, gang tackling is a good thing, but it doesn't fucking replace fundamentals!

Oh well, with two prestige job openings this offseason, every coach in America worth his salt is going to get paid. I imagine a lot of middle tier schools are going to offer fat extensions in October.

The Texas defense should see almost immediate improvement with Saban as DC.

You bring up a good point. Saban probably thinks he's coming to Austin to interview for the head coaching position, but Mack Brown's pompous ass is probably hoping he'll come on board as DC and "head coach in waiting". At that point Saban will chuckle, and without saying a word, get back on the plane to Alabama.

I am very jealous of Paul's trolling abilities.

Oh I get it. Texas as in the state, not the school. Good one!

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
@davidubben said:
@davidubben: Devonte Fields will start on Thursday night vs. Texas Tech, Gary Patterson said.

@davidubben: Patterson says since Fields played just one quarter Saturday, will fulfill that part of his suspension at some point. Doesn't say when.

For those not keeping track, this means that Gary Patterson complained about LSU reinstating a player sans suspension because "that doesn't teach life lessons" but now is actually splitting out one quarter of one of his own player's two game suspension and just throwing it in somewhere else on the schedule where he thinks it fits better so his star player can get some playing time before the first conference game.

::edit::
Patterson didn't say when Fields would serve the final quarter of his suspension.

"We've got a whole full season for that," Patterson said.

:jnc

::/edit::

Bring on Umass, Snyder has outscored opponents 682-80 in game 3's at home...

Edit: Bill Snyder Note...

He's been doing that for years, funny how it blows up after a loss to an FCS opponent.. People just ignore Bill Snyder, one of the best coaches ever.

I'm pretty sure Kingsbury got one in 2001.

mre

For those not keeping track, this means that Gary Patterson complained about LSU reinstating a player sans suspension because "that doesn't teach life lessons" but now is actually splitting out one quarter of one of his own player's two game suspension and just throwing it in somewhere else on the schedule where he thinks it fits better so his star player can get some playing time before the first conference game.
You can't spell intecgurity without TCU.

#garbagetime

From what I hear Texas' AD and possibly President are likely on the way out soon as well (retiring?), so it's hard to hire a great DC when he doesn't know who his head coach will be and it's hard to hire a head coach when he doesn't know who his AD will be and it's hard to hire an AD when he doesn't know who his President will be.

Deloss Dodds can't leave.

Not because of the quality of his administration, or that he is old, but because of politics.

Rick Perry has been at war with President Powers and the Board of Regents for the last 3 or 4 years. Perry says he is trying to lower tuition to the university, but if you look at the policies he is trying to implement, they look a lot like something you would find at the University of Phoenix instead.

In this bitchfest, Perry has been blocking new hires at administrative levels. The reason Bev Kearny was such a thorn in our side is because Perry would have had to approve of the settlement.

In other words, we have a year and a half more of this shit, and then clean house at the AD. President Powers will hopefully find the new governor more agreeable to him, or at least as weak as all previous governors have been.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Deloss Dodds can't leave.

Not because of the quality of his administration, or that he is old, but because of politics.

Rick Perry has been at war with President Powers and the Board of Regents for the last 3 or 4 years. Perry says he is trying to lower tuition to the university, but if you look at the policies he is trying to implement, they look a lot like something you would find at the University of Phoenix instead.

In this bitchfest, Perry has been blocking new hires at administrative levels. The reason Bev Kearny was such a thorn in our side is because Perry would have had to approve of the settlement.

In other words, we have a year and a half more of this shit, and then clean house at the AD. President Powers will hopefully find the new governor more agreeable to him, or at least as weak as all previous governors have been.

I remembered hearing something to that effect but I couldn't remember if it was Dodds or the President who was trapped because of Perry and thus didn't want to comment. Regardless, given the situation you present it's still an unstable spot at AD for a new coach to have to deal with, which is what I was alluding to. It's still an AD on his last legs that nobody wants around but can't get rid of (but who will be gotten rid of at the earliest possible opportunity). Not what many top head coaching candidates would be willing to walk into unless the moneyhats are really just incredibly oversized or there is some other alumnus type connection.

Karakand

Lane Kiffin is a coach with NFL and SEC experience, many programs would be lucky to have someone with his background. Unreasonable Trogans who couldn't even tell you who coached the program before Pete "The Humanitarian" Carroll are going to irreparably damage things if listened to by the administration.

Lane Kiffin is a coach with NFL and SEC experience, many programs would be lucky to have someone with his background. Unreasonable Trogans who couldn't even tell you who coached the program before Pete "The Humanitarian" Carroll are going to irreparably damage things if listened to by the administration.

I know you're joking, but considering how many times I've heard "Hackett" in the last couple days... :jnc

I remembered hearing something to that effect but I couldn't remember if it was Dodds or the President who was trapped because of Perry and thus didn't want to comment. Regardless, given the situation you present it's still an unstable spot at AD for a new coach to have to deal with, which is what I was alluding to. It's still an AD on his last legs that nobody wants around but can't get rid of (but who will be gotten rid of at the earliest possible opportunity). Not what many top head coaching candidates would be willing to walk into unless the moneyhats are really just incredibly oversized or there is some other alumnus type connection.

We will find out who won the legislature soon enough. Wallace Hall, a Perry plant on the Board of Regents, is facing impeachment by the State House for basically being Ken Starr, wasting money on politically based investigations that lead to nothing. This has cooled the governor's train, and if he is ousted, I think you could officially declare Powers as the winner.

TCU by 12
Louisville by 12
Nebraska by 4
Fresno State by 4
USC by 4
Alabama by 12
Georgia Tech by 4
Ohio State by 12
Auburn by 4
Texas by 4
Oregon State by 4
Arizona State by 4

We will find out who won the legislature soon enough. Wallace Hall, a Perry plant on the Board of Regents, is facing impeachment by the State House for basically being Ken Starr, wasting money on politically based investigations that lead to nothing. This has cooled the governor's train, and if he is ousted, I think you could officially declare Powers as the winner.

I'm relieved that Perry won't be running for governor again, but my impatience with our AD won't last till the end of his term. Also, Deloss is just a year or so away from an annuity which is why he would probably never resign on his own...at least until he reaches the annuity plateau

I'm relieved that Perry won't be running for governor again, but my impatience with our AD won't last till the end of his term. Also, Deloss is just a year or so away from an annuity which is why he would probably never resign on his own...at least until he reaches the annuity plateau

He isn't, that's why I said wait a year and a half in the previous post.

Meier

Thank goodness the Texas game is at night. I was worried after the loss it might get moved earlier which would suck for multiple reasons.

Looking forward to seeing how Jameis reacts to the hype machine going into overload during the bye week.

Thank goodness the Texas game is at night. I was worried after the loss it might get moved earlier which would suck for multiple reasons.

Looking forward to seeing how Jameis reacts to the hype machine going into overload during the bye week.

It's on the LHN. There's no better programming to broadcast in primetime

Meier

It's on the LHN. There's no better programming to broadcast in primetime

Hah, I forgot about that. We watched a lot of pre-game coverage on LHN this past weekend. I was pretty impressed in general by the depth of the coverage (no surprise). If I was a diehard Longhorn fan rather than an adoptive one, I'd be pretty happy to have it finally. The broadcast on LHN that had all of the different camera angles and shit was sensory overload.

They could have aired LHN Cribs: Manny Diaz Edition.

Might help him in the real estate market.

I do believe that's how we found out that he was fired. Someone found out his home was for sale on Sunday.

These next 1.5 years are going to feel like purgatory for Texas fans.

For Texans in general. First governor post reconstruction to have real power, and it turns out the damn former slave holding racists were right about one thing.

Jhriad

Digging a hole doesn't really matter in the long term, most programs dig themselves one at some point. Most people thought Bama was done forever. LSU was irrelevant for 20+ years. Not sure if Nebraska has done anything in 15+ years, etc.

We were nationally irrelevant in the Callahan era (2004-2007) outside of that we've been relevant in practically every year that someone on GAF has been alive. Since 1961 Nebraska has had two seasons with a losing record (2004 & 2007). In the last 15 years Nebraska has won at least nine games in eleven of them. How do other high performing schools of the same era/high profile programs look?

Oklahoma: 11 of 15 seasons
Florida: 10 of 15 seasons
Alabama: 7 of 15 seasons
USC: 9 of 15 seasons
Texas: 13 of 15 seasons
Michigan: 9 of 15 seasons
tOSU: 10 of 15 seasons

If you're looking for a program that consistently performs at a high level over time Nebraska is easily among the top of all time (duh) and that includes the past 15 years.

15+ years

What's up with the plus sign? Do I REALLY have to point out what the college football scene looked like in 1997? You sir, have failed your College Football Expertise test. We will see you in summer school. Have a good day.

mre

The Real OSU's AD had this to say:

Oklahoma State athletic director Mike Holder addressed the media Monday morning as the university braces for damaging allegations about the football program in a looming Sports Illustrated project.

“I don’t know a lot of specifics,” Holder said. “I know a little bit. I know enough to be very concerned. … (SI’s reporting team) believe what they’re about to write to be true.
http://www.tulsaworld.com/article.a..._know_enough_to_be/20130909_93_0_SILAEk138898

These exposes are starting to make me mad, because regardless of if they are true or not, nothing will happen either way because the NCAA is a joke.

andycapps

These exposes are starting to make me mad, because regardless of if they are true or not, nothing will happen either way because the NCAA is a joke.

They'll be outside of the NCAA's umbrella before they have a chance to investigate the claims, much less pronounce a punishment.

Predictions on what SI found? I'm guessing money from boosters to recruits or players based on play.

KingGondo

Banned
I'm ready for the damn article to be published already.

It apparently focuses on the Les Miles era and the types he recruited to campus. Gundy kicked 15 or so players off the team when he started in 2005.

Most of the sources for the story are apparently disgruntled former players who flunked out, failed drug tests, or left because of disciplinary problems. No current players or coaches were interviewed for the story, and most of the accusations regard Les and former special teams coach Joe DeForest (now at WVU).

It'll definitely be interesting, but I don't think it'll do much damage to the program based on what I've heard. I think the angle will be "this is how college football really works," rather than "Oklahoma State is particularly corrupt and reprehensible." I guess we'll see.

mre

It apparently focuses on the Les Miles era and the types he recruited to campus. Gundy kicked 15 or so players off the team when he started in 2005.

Most of the sources for the story are apparently disgruntled former players who flunked out, failed drug tests, or left because of disciplinary problems. No current players or coaches were interviewed for the story, and most of the accusations regard Les and former special teams coach Joe DeForest (now at WVU).

It'll definitely be interesting, but I don't think it'll do much damage to the program based on what I've heard. I think the angle will be "this is how college football really works," rather than "Oklahoma State is particularly corrupt and reprehensible." I guess we'll see.
DOOM.

So what you're saying is that T Boone paid them in cash while be recorded at a coke party in a brothel just last week.

andycapps

I thought that kind of stuff only happened at SEC schools. Why is OSU getting all uppity?

Jeff-DSA

People need to calm down about the Texas loss. BYU has a long history of putting dominant RBs into the NFL.

Seriously though, Taysom Hill was doing this last season before his injury too. If the kid could learn to throw with some consistency, we could be crazy good.

One thing I'm irked about though is that both Hill and Williams have had great games in the past, but nobody wants to give them credit. Nobody is saying that they played well, only that Texas sucked. If I were those two, I'd be pissed off going into the next game trying to prove it wasn't a fluke.

People need to calm down about the Texas loss. BYU has a long history of putting dominant RBs into the NFL.

Seriously though, Taysom Hill was doing this last season before his injury too. If the kid could learn to throw with some consistency, we could be crazy good.

One thing I'm irked about though is that both Hill and Williams have had great games in the past, but nobody wants to give them credit. Nobody is saying that they played well, only that Texas sucked. If I were those two, I'd be pissed off going into the next game trying to prove it wasn't a fluke.

Because there is no reason we shouldn't have played in 4-3 in the second half instead of nickel.

Haha, yeah, the NCAA never does anything

:(

It's true that they won't ever do anything like they did to us again.

Meier

I had no clue Les Miles coached at Okie State tbh. They were such a non-entity back then -- I thought he was at Michigan in some capacity prior to LSU.

mre

Former Gator walk on did an AMA. Some interesting (to me) stuff. Apparently Driskel is well liked internally.

http://www.reddit.com/r/CFB/comments/1m1dmz/im_jesse_schmitt_former_florida_gators/

Heh:

it_was_a_catch 6 points 3 hours ago
What is the craziest thing you ever witnessed on the practice field?
[–]Florida GatorsGatorsJesse35 11 points 3 hours ago
Hmm, I don't really know. Practice is really pretty businesslike. We get out there, work hard for a few hours, and head back in. I mean, I saw fights and such. But nothing sticks out as anything too crazy. If I think of something I'll let you know.
permalinkparent
[–]Florida GatorsClusterfuggle 1 point 1 hour ago
When one of the red-shirted quarterbacks got hit a few years ago, the other QBs beat the shit out of the offending linebacker, led by Cam Newton, who was using his helmet as a weapon.

:jnc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom