• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football 2013 |Week 3| Kiffen/Brown Farewell Tour

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
We were nationally irrelevant in the Callahan era (2004-2007) outside of that we've been relevant in practically every year that someone on GAF has been alive. Since 1961 Nebraska has had two seasons with a losing record (2004 & 2007). In the last 15 years Nebraska has won at least nine games in eleven of them. How do other high performing schools of the same era/high profile programs look?

Oklahoma: 11 of 15 seasons
Florida: 10 of 15 seasons
Alabama: 7 of 15 seasons
USC: 9 of 15 seasons
Texas: 13 of 15 seasons
Michigan: 9 of 15 seasons
tOSU: 10 of 15 seasons

If you're looking for a program that consistently performs at a high level over time Nebraska is easily among the top of all time (duh) and that includes the past 15 years.

What's up with the plus sign? Do I REALLY have to point out what the college football scene looked like in 1997? You sir, have failed your College Football Expertise test. We will see you in summer school. Have a good day.

8 out of 15, unless you believe that Textbooks should really be a reason to take away a 10-2 season.

KingGondo

Banned
I had no clue Les Miles coached at Okie State tbh. They were such a non-entity back then -- I thought he was at Michigan in some capacity prior to LSU.
Yeah, he was at OSU from 2001 thru 2004 (technically his last game was the Alamo Bowl in 2005, but he was apparently busy interviewing for the LSU job instead of preparing the team for the game against Maurice Clarett U). He really elevated the results on the field, including back-to-back victories against OU (when OU was truly formidable, especially on defense).

However, as I noted--he was definitely not afraid to recruit shady types if they had talent.

Yeah, he was at OSU from 2001 thru 2004 (technically his last game was the Alamo Bowl in 2005, but he was apparently busy interviewing for the LSU job instead of preparing the team for the game against Maurice Clarett U). He really elevated the results on the field, including back-to-back victories against OU (when OU was truly formidable, especially on defense).

However, as I noted--he was definitely not afraid to recruit shady types if they had talent.

The Shot-Ginn game!

tokkun

UC did lose their QB during the game. Illinois has a pretty good QB, but other than that the teams pretty garbage.

That injury happened midway through the 4th quarter when the game was already decided.

Illinois is a tough team to read. They've had decent talent on both offense and defense the past few years - certainly better than what you would guess from their record.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member

A trend you could say we've seen continue at LSU.

JHall

Former Gator walk on did an AMA. Some interesting (to me) stuff. Apparently Driskel is well liked internally.

http://www.reddit.com/r/CFB/comments/1m1dmz/im_jesse_schmitt_former_florida_gators/

Its not whether or not he's liked internally, I'm sure he's nice guy. It's that he makes too many mistakes that cost us games. If he would just be a game manager and TAKE CARE OF THE GOD DAMN FOOTBALL we probably wouldn't be screaming for his head.

I say give the ball to Tyler Murphy and run the read option the whole game.

Jhriad

8 out of 15, unless you believe that Textbooks should really be a reason to take away a 10-2 season.

Nah, I was just doing quick scans down the records for the past 15 seasons and the vacated wins were wiped out on your teams wiki page.

Karakand

I know you're joking, but considering how many times I've heard "Hackett" in the last couple days... :jnc

Ah yes, during the bad times suddenly everyone has been through this before. Why during the Paul Hackett years we had to run 4 draw plays in a row to score our touchdowns, and we walked 15 miles in the snow to see them do it at every home game.

squicken

hmm I don't remember some of that but I do remember Mike Stoops asking Les if he wanted more. That was fun. Fun times, long ago, when Oklahoma had a good defense

At least I can laugh at UT for another year until they get Saban

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Its kind of insane to see the coaching difference between B1G football and basketball. BBall the B1g has arguably the best set of coaches as a whole, while football as some of the worst.
LEAVE KIRK FERENTZ ALONE.

Talon

He's had 1 possibly 2 good seasons, hes a good coach, but he still average/ slightly above average.
He's been able to recruit guys and graduate almost all his players. Our admissions department doesn't even give him special waivers Michigan-style - although Juice Thompson (or as I like to say "El Cafe") is one of the dumbest people I've ever met in my life.

Let's just say, he has high tolerance for a shitty defensive coordinator who has no idea how to organize his secondary. Granted, who else wants to coach the defense at Northwestern other than this old goober.

But, yeah, I chuckle my ass off when friends talk up Pat Fitzgerald.

That said, he's super nice. My girlfriend will always be a fan because he bought her and her friends (mostly guys, you jerks) a round and hung out with them after a game once.

cdyhybrid

He's been able to recruit guys and graduate almost all his players. Our admissions department doesn't even give him special waivers Michigan-style - although Juice Thompson (or as I like to say "El Cafe") is one of the dumbest people I've ever met in my life.

Let's just say, he has high tolerance for a shitty defensive coordinator who has no idea how to organize his secondary. Granted, who else wants to coach the defense at Northwestern other than this old goober.

But, yeah, I chuckle my ass off when friends talk up Pat Fitzgerald.

That said, he's super nice. My girlfriend will always be a fan because he bought her and her friends (mostly guys, you jerks) a round and hung out with them after a game once.

What is this moderateness? In this thread your coach is either the second coming of Vince Lombardi and Bear Bryant and Bill Walsh combined, or he's Lane Kiffin.

Talon

WTF is wrong with you.
I don't...
Fuckin Oregon fans.
hulk_smash_loki.gif

Oh Rivals,

So apparently PSU has been banning bags from coming into the stadium as a reaction to the Boston bombing and to stay in line with the NFL policy.....

To which a poster posed this question:

Can you bring children into the stadium or is the area still on the offender list?

KingGondo

Banned
SI's article on OSU will be a five-parter, and will be on the cover as well.

As long as it doesn't create any major NCAA issues I'll be OK, but it still doesn't look good for the school.

SI's article on OSU will be a five-parter, and will be on the cover as well.

As long as it doesn't create any major NCAA issues I'll be OK, but it still doesn't look good for the school.

Look, how would you explain that "I'm a 40 year old man" rant from a couple years ago?

T Boone Cocaine Parties.

KingGondo

Banned
Look, how would you explain that "I'm a 40 year old man" rant from a couple years ago?

T Boone Cocaine Parties.
Obviously.

The thing that sucks the most is that we're probably gonna have an NCAA investigation hanging over us for 3-4 years, and there's no telling whether we'll get off easy like Oregon or get hammered like PSU.

Obviously.

The thing that sucks the most is that we're probably gonna have an NCAA investigation hanging over us for 3-4 years, and there's no telling whether we'll get off easy like Oregon or get hammered like PSU.

As long as no one was murdered and there were no pedophiles on staff, you might lose a scholarship.

Hell, after Florida, just no kiddy fucking, and you should be good.

Talon

Obviously.

Sounds a little more serious than Oregon, Gondo. I know you're a homer and all, but I'd be nervous as hell.

Draxal

Sounds a little more serious than Oregon, Gondo. I know you're a homer and all, but I'd be nervous as hell.

I don't know, look at Miami.

And hell, I'm a Rutgers homer and all, but apparently there wasn't any punishment for the Ricegate.

KingGondo

Banned
As long as no one was murdered and there were no pedophiles on staff, you might lose a scholarship.

Hell, after Florida, just no kiddy fucking, and you should be good.
No telling with the NCAA. That's the scary part.

Technically, PSU didn't commit any NCAA violations, and they almost got the death penalty.
Believe me, I'm nervous.

I'm mainly interested in how things have progressed since Miles was here, because that was a long time ago and will likely determine how hard we get hammered.

AntoneM

GAF Pick'em Week 3 Games
(all games Saturday unless otherwise marked)

(THU) TCU @ Texas Tech by 4
Louisville @ Kentucky by 17
UCLA @ Nebraska by 6
Fresno State @ Colorado by 9
Boston College @ USC by 4
Alabama @ Texas A&M by 13
Georgia Tech @ Duke by 6
Ohio State @ California by 13
Mississippi State @ Auburn by 4
Ole Miss @ Texas by 6
Oregon State @ Utah by 4
Wisconsin @ Arizona State by 9

Chris R

Blew it last week, getting them in early this week!

(THU) TCU @ Texas Tech by 8
Louisville @ Kentucky by 10
UCLA @ Nebraska by 8
Fresno State @ Colorado by 10
Boston College @ USC by 4
Alabama @ Texas A&M by 14
Georgia Tech @ Duke by 10
Ohio State @ California by 21
Mississippi State @ Auburn by 10
Ole Miss @ Texas by 4
Oregon State @ Utah by 10
Wisconsin @ Arizona State by 8

JCX

Who in their right mind is giving MSU points in the poll? I'd rather not be ranked when it all falls apart against ND.

squicken

• Part 4: Sex (On SI.com Friday, 9/13): OSU’s hostess program, Orange Pride, figured so prominently in the recruitment of prospects that the group more than tripled in size under Miles. Both Miles and Gundy took the unusual step of personally interviewing candidates. Multiple former players and Orange Pride members say that a small subset of the group had sex with recruits, a violation of NCAA rules.

http://insidesportsillustrated.com/...t-to-launch-tuesday-september-10-at-9-a-m-et/

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
• Part 4: Sex (On SI.com Friday, 9/13): OSU’s hostess program, Orange Pride, figured so prominently in the recruitment of prospects that the group more than tripled in size under Miles. Both Miles and Gundy took the unusual step of personally interviewing candidates. Multiple former players and Orange Pride members say that a small subset of the group had sex with recruits, a violation of NCAA rules.

http://insidesportsillustrated.com/...t-to-launch-tuesday-september-10-at-9-a-m-et/

590027577.gif

6811916.jpeg

King_Creole_LesMiles.gif

GAF Pick'em Week 3 Games
(all games Saturday unless otherwise marked)

(THU) TCU @ Texas Tech by 4
Louisville @ Kentucky by 21
UCLA @ Nebraska by 9
Fresno State @ Colorado by 4 UPSET SPECIAL
Boston College @ USC by 4 THIS SHOULD BE CONSIDERED AN UPSET SPECIAL
Alabama @ Texas A&M by 7
Georgia Tech @ Duke by 7
Ohio State @ California by 9
Mississippi State @ [/b]Auburn[/b] by 4
Ole Miss @ Texas by 7
Oregon State @ Utah by 6
Wisconsin @ Arizona State by 4

Risky week for me, but whatever.

Who in their right mind is giving MSU points in the poll? I'd rather not be ranked when it all falls apart against ND.

Qfs7N4f.png

You have to admit, people think your defense is God-tier. You just have a shit-tier offense.

edit: Valenti said today, if you guys don't vastly improve there he sees 3-9.

Draxal

I see him retiring in 3-4 years. I don't see him doing shit for the LHN, or dealing with the bullshit that is the political game at the top of the Texas University system.

Yeah, that article posted in the offseason, basically means it's never going to happen (although i would love to see Captain Charisma forced to do it).

I see him retiring in 3-4 years. I don't see him doing shit for the LHN, or dealing with the bullshit that is the political game at the top of the Texas University system.

Last time I heard it come up, someone (maybe PTI?) said they could see him taking one more shot at the NFL. Something about the first time he was kinda green, and this time would be different; basically the whole "still has something to prove" angle. How 'bout that?

Chip Kelly doin' his thang on the 'Skins right now. ;)

Talon

(THU) TCU @ Texas Tech by 14
Louisville @ Kentucky by 21
UCLA @ Nebraska by 2
Fresno State @ Colorado by 14
Boston College @ USC by 2
Alabama @ Texas A&M by 6
Georgia Tech @ Duke by 4
Ohio State @ California by 11
Mississippi State @ Auburn by 3
Ole Miss @ Texas by 5
Oregon State @ Utah by 3
Wisconsin @ Arizona State by 4

KingGondo

Banned
The Football Team from Washington, D.C. With the Racist Nickname wouldn't be called that if there were more Native Americans left and they had any political capital whatsoever.

I have an Indian friend who absolutely hates that shit. As he's fond of saying, "if 'Redskin' isn't an offensive term, go onto any reservation and start calling people that and see how it goes."

--

Edit: The OSU forums are on fire right now, and the crazies are coming out. "What better time to publish than the fall, right before we're favored to win every game? IT'S A CONSPIRACY."

I know now what it would have been like to be a sane PSU fan during the Paterno scandal.

Kiffin finally "officially" named Kessler as the starting QB.

He decided to release a video on YouTube about his decision and "won't discuss it with the press." :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom