• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football 2013 |Week 6| Kiffin Named Next AD of Texas

Kevtones

UW is for real this year. I don't really know how good Oregon is right now but I think it's a toss-up next week.

UW looked like the better team in 2/3 phases.

Piggus

If this game showed Stanford's true colors, you guys will absolutely roast them. They look very vulnerable.

I hope so. We'll certainly be out for blood and we demonstrated in 2011 what we were capable of against Stanford when we actually tried. Last year's loss felt like a fluke. We were sloppy on so many levels... Overconfident with the predictions that we would win by 20+. We need to bring our A-game against their defense, and if we do I absolutely know we can beat the shit out of them. But we truly need to go in confident and prepared. If we play sloppy like we did today or against them last year though it's gonna be a repeat.

All of us Duck fans want a shot at Alabama. I think we can all mostly agree that it would be an interesting matchup.And I'll definitely be in that fucking Rose Bowl stadium if we have that opportunity.

Kevtones

I hope so. We'll certainly be out for blood and we demonstrated in 2011 what we were capable of against Stanford when we actually tried. Last year's loss felt like a fluke. We were sloppy on so many levels... Overconfident with the predictions that we would win by 20+. We need to bring our A-game against their defense, and if we do I absolutely know we can beat the shit out of them. But we truly need to go in confident and prepared. If we play sloppy like we did today or against them last year though it's gonna be a repeat.

All of us Duck fans want a shot at Alabama. I think we can all mostly agree that it would be an interesting matchup.And I'll definitely be in that fucking Rose Bowl stadium if we have that opportunity.

There were a lot of little quirks in that game. De'Anthony's missed block. Stanford's final TD that kinda wasn't. Stanford's fumble in OT that Michael Clay didn't grab.

Weird stuff all over the place.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
All of us Duck fans want a shot at Alabama.

Which bowl game would that work out to be? I think Oregon will probably end up in the title game so the matchup isn't likely this year.

If the season so far is any indication, Oregon would torch Bama anyway.

Washington has competed for conference and national titles under multiple coaches, with only one prolonged downturn that ended in 2009. Any team with good talent can have incredible runs with the right coach, just like any team (USC right now, Bama right before Saban) can be cast into mediocrity with the wrong coach. USC should be happy with a bowl game and not getting blown out multiple times this year. Washington has the talent to compete for a conference title, coaching is what is stopping them. Your perspective is completely rooted in the recent past it seems. Washington is suffering because of a lack of discipline (coaching) and some really poor play calling. The only position group that is genuinely not prepared to win 10+ games is the offensive line, due to poor recruiting and development (on the coaches again).

Man, the only reason they lost this game was shitty special teams play and a great play by the Stanford D to tip and intercept Price's throw.

I guess you could put the special teams stuff on Sark, though I've never known him to coach those teams directly. The play calling tonight looked fine. Price was tearing Stanford's secondary up.

At either rate, Washington doesn't have the talent to beat Oregon this year, full stop. I don't care who is coaching you guys. Stanford is built to deal with them to a degree (and I have major doubts about this year), but Washington just isn't there yet. But UW is headed in the right direction. You guys went on the road and took a better team down to the wire, and honestly should have won but for terrible special teams play. I'm sure you guys see it differently but I always felt you guys were overachieving for the first couple years, and then it caught up with you. What seemed like stalling in progress was actually just reality catching up. But now you guys are getting better and are a Top 15 team (damn what the polls will say after tonight). And you want to fire your coach for being Top 15 and not Top 5 just yet? I dunno, just seems... sorta insane.

cdyhybrid

No wonder you've been so down these past nine years.

Well, we've also been losing to every other team in the conference in the same time span, so don't pat yourself on the back too hard.

Man, the only reason they lost this game was shitty special teams play and a great play by the Stanford D to tip and intercept Price's throw.

I guess you could put the special teams stuff on Sark, though I've never known him to coach those teams directly. The play calling tonight looked fine. Price was tearing Stanford's secondary up.

At either rate, Washington doesn't have the talent to beat Oregon this year, full stop. I don't care who is coaching you guys. Stanford is built to deal with them to a degree (and I have major doubts about this year), but Washington just isn't there yet. But UW is headed in the right direction. You guys went on the road and took a better team down to the wire, and honestly should have won but for terrible special teams play. I'm sure you guys see it differently but I always felt you guys were overachieving for the first couple years, and then it caught up with you. What seemed like stalling in progress was actually just reality catching up. But now you guys are getting better and are a Top 15 team (damn what the polls will say after tonight). And you want to fire your coach for being Top 15 and not Top 5 just yet? I dunno, just seems... sorta insane.

Those two garbage short kicks cost us the game, along with the penalties. Penalties obviously ultimately fall on the head coach. As far as the short kicks, those ultimately end up on him as well. Either they were executing what was called, and they were just terrible calls...or they weren't executed correctly, and we apparently don't have someone on the roster capable of making the kick, which also falls on Sark.

andycapps

Relevant is not the standard here. Anyone with a pulse could have gone 7-6 3 years in a row here. Tyrone was so bad that a career 7-6 coach is now getting defended over moral victories. Shake my fucking head.
Trying to beat Georgia Tech at their own game, I see.

andycapps

No one has more moral victories than we do over the last 5 years.

Also I came to the realization this morning that Mizzou is probably going to win the east, which is weird.

Tennessee has been a mess. It's hard to take a moral victory when you want the actual victory but they really did play well yesterday. The thing to watch out for is a regression since yesterday may have been their top effort of the season. Most teams can only get up for 1 or 2 games a year.

Mizzou could win the east. They have a really good offense and we have so many guys out. Pretty much playing with our scout team right now. I don't know how we'll ever keep up with Mizzou this week.

jjasper

Tennessee has been a mess. It's hard to take a moral victory when you want the actual victory but they really did play well yesterday. The thing to watch out for is a regression since yesterday may have been their top effort of the season. Most teams can only get up for 1 or 2 games a year.

We have a week off so hopefully that helps. It will be interesting to see what happens with Worley. The defense played about to their standard yesterday and the o line and Neal played about like they have been. The real question is if everything finally clicked between him and the freshman receivers in the second half or was that a one time thing? Who knows but that will pretty much determine the outcome of the year.

I hope it has clicked cause I like the kid and he has had to deal with a lot of shit since he has been here and got totally fucked by Dooley.

Cal only have three CBs able to play after Willis and McClure were injured last night, so a couple wide receivers are taking reps at cornerback. Similarly, there's at least one running back playing linebacker in practice. The injury situation on defense is ridiculous.

In other news, the Bears current 9 game losing streak to FBS opponents since beating WSU in 2012, is the longest of any team in a BCS conference.

TS-08

Mizzou could win the east. They have a really good offense and we have so many guys out. Pretty much playing with our scout team right now. I don't know how we'll ever keep up with Mizzou this week.

I like this Mizzou team a lot, but I still give the edge to Georgia. Our offense will score plenty of points, but so will you. Our D-linemen are pretty good, and our linebackers have been making plays, but our secondary is suspect outside of Gaines. Even with all of your injuries, Murray will find ways to score. I do feel better about the game now than I did before the season started.

Coaches' Poll

Clemson jumps OSU, FSU jumps UGa and Louisville.

Code:
1	  Alabama	5-0	1544	57	1
2	  Oregon	5-0	1486	4	2
3	  Clemson	5-0	1356	1	4
3	  Ohio St.	6-0	1356	0	3
5	  Stanford	5-0	1327	0	5
6	  Florida St.	5-0	1188	0	8
7	  Georgia	4-1	1130	0	6
8	  Louisville	5-0	1105	0	7
9	  Texas A&M	4-1	1067	0	9
10	  Oklahoma	5-0	964	0	10
11	  LSU	        5-1	953	0	11
12	  S Carolina	4-1	833	0	12
13	  UCLA	        4-0	807	0	13
14	  Miami	        5-0	747	0	14
15	  Baylor	4-0	698	0	16
16	  Michigan	5-0	591	0	17
17	  Florida	4-1	574	0	19
18	  Northwestern	4-1	393	0	15
19	  Washington	4-1	366	0	18
20	  Oklahoma St.	4-1	350	0	20
21	  Texas Tech	5-0	336	0	22
22	  Fresno St.	5-0	325	0	21
23	  N Illinois	5-0	169	0	23
24	  Nebraska	4-1	125	0	25
25	  Virginia Tech	5-1	97	0	NR

cashman

Banned
Coaches Poll:

Beaten lol

Code:
1	Alabama    	5-0	1544	57	1
2	Oregon      	5-0	1486	4	2
3	Clemson    	5-0	1356	1	4
3	Ohio St.	6-0	1356	0	3
5	Stanford	5-0	1327	0	5
6	Florida St.	5-0	1188	0	8
7	Georgia     	4-1	1130	0	6
8	Louisville	5-0	1105	0	7
9	Texas A&M	4-1	1067	0	9
10	Oklahoma	5-0	964	0	10
11	LSU          	5-1	953	0	11
12	South Carolina	4-1	833	0	12
13	UCLA        	4-0	807	0	13
14	Miami        	5-0	747	0	14
15	Baylor       	4-0	698	0	16
16	Michigan	5-0	591	0	17
17	Florida       	4-1	574	0	19
18	Northwestern	4-1	393	0	15
19	Washington	4-1	366	0	18
20	Oklahoma St.	4-1	350	0	20
21	Texas Tech	5-0	336	0	22
22	Fresno St.	5-0	325	0	21
23	NIU   	        5-0	169	0	23
24	Nebraska	4-1	125	0	25
25	Virginia Tech	5-1	97	0	NR
Schools Dropped Out
Others Receiving Votes
Missouri (5-0) 86; Notre Dame (4-2) 58; Wisconsin (3-2) 29; Michigan State (4-1) 16; Auburn (4-1) 11; Central Florida (4-1) 11; Oregon State (4-1) 8; Rutgers (4-1) 8; Arizona (3-1) 4; Arizona State (3-2) 4; Ball State (5-1) 3; Brigham Young (3-2) 2.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Coaches' Poll.

Clemson jumps OSU.

well, ties them

-39c9cb08c622ffd3.JPG

thought this was a nicely timed photo

AP Poll

FSU jumps UGa and Louisville here also.

Code:
1	Alabama (55)	5-0	1,495	1
2	Oregon (5)	5-0	1,424	2
3	Clemson	        5-0	1,359	3
4	Ohio State	6-0	1,305	4
5	Stanford	5-0	1,278	5
6	Florida State	5-0	1,158	8
7	Georgia	        4-1	1,138	6
8	Louisville	5-0	1,051	7
9	Texas A&M	4-1	1,003	9
10	LSU	        5-1	993	10
11	UCLA	        4-0	844	12
12	Oklahoma	5-0	819	11
13	Miami (FL)	5-0	780	14
14	South Carolina	4-1	764	13
15	Baylor	        4-0	681	17
16	Washington	4-1	556	15
17	Florida	        4-1	536	18
18	Michigan	5-0	514	19
19	Northwestern	4-1	418	16
20	Texas Tech	5-0	358	20
21	Fresno State	5-0	258	23
22	Oklahoma State	4-1	204	21
23	N Illinois	5-0	138	26
24	Virginia Tech	5-1	115	27
25	Missouri	5-0	105	30

andycapps

I like this Mizzou team a lot, but I still give the edge to Georgia. Our offense will score plenty of points, but so will you. Our D-linemen are pretty good, and our linebackers have been making plays, but our secondary is suspect outside of Gaines. Even with all of your injuries, Murray will find ways to score. I do feel better about the game now than I did before the season started.
It's fair enough but I'm still very worried. Mizzou has a good offense, but not known for defense and our team is the same, we're just minus most of our weapons. Our secondary has been really bad this year. At some point I'd like to think that our freshmen there will start to get better.

Maybe Jonathan Rumph will finally make his debut. He's the 6'5" JUCO receiver that I thought would make a huge impact this year, but he got a hamstring injury in the spring and has been trying to heal.

Lot of bitching last night on the post game show from the hosts about the horrible condition of the turf at Neyland. Apparently was really hard and shallow turf with spray painted sand in spots. Not sure why only affected our guys but I'd guess that the previous tough games exposed some guys that were banged up.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Anything I can take from Ball State beating UVA? I'm hoping it means UVA sucks because we could go 2-1 in October with winnable games vs NCSU, Wake and UNC in November.

andycapps

UGA injury report should be out around 5:45 when Richt has his teleconference. Will have huge bearing on next game and rest of season.

Enfinit

Man, what a way to come home from work with FSU jumping both Louisville and Georgia. The AP and Coaches certainly are sold more than I am.

Go Noles!

CobbFC09

UGA injury report should be out around 5:45 when Richt has his teleconference. Will have huge bearing on next game and rest of season.
Nothing but bad news man.

-Michael Bennett will have his knee scoped early this week and is OUT for the Missuri game.
-Todd Gurley remains day-to-day

andycapps

Richt has confirmed that Scott-Wesley and Marshall are both out for the year with ACL injuries.
Just saw that. Ugh.

Another interesting tidbit, Richt said that JJ Green may have not even been a RB if he hadn't enrolled early. They were thinking wide receiver or cornerback.

andycapps

I doubt Gurley plays this week. His was a high ankle sprain and I expect that to take a little longer to recover from. Though I wouldn't be surprised for him to dress out and play if the freshmen RB's are struggling.

I doubt Gurley plays this week. His was a high ankle sprain and I expect that to take a little longer to recover from. Though I wouldn't be surprised for him to dress out and play if the freshmen RB's are struggling.
For injuries sake it's a good thing y'all aren't playing @ Mizzou. You're lucky if your team comes away from that divot laden field without someone tearing an acl

TS-08

For injuries sake it's a good thing y'all aren't playing @ Mizzou. You're lucky if your team comes away from that divot laden field without someone tearing an acl

Any "divots" were caused by all of your incomplete passes hitting the turf.

Sorry to hear about the injury report for Georgia. We went through that mess last year and I keep waiting for the injury bug to return every game.

jjasper

Already got fucked by the turf at Neyland.
Cause all those other injuries that have happened there this year. This is always something people day when something shitty like this happens and people are looking or excuses when in reality it is just bad luck.

And one of them clearly had nothing to do with the field.

Top Bottom