• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football 2013 |Week 8| The best X-loss teams in the nation

@ST_IsabellaTNS This is really sad. Jackson State will play itself Saturday in a scrimmage since Grambling forfeited.

Fucking ridiculous. Dont like riding buses? Be better at playing and you wouldnt have to go to a small school. No sympathy from me, you chose to go there.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Fucking ridiculous. Dont like riding buses? Be better at playing and you wouldnt have to go to a small school. No sympathy from me, you chose to go there.
Yes, fuck them for trying to get an education!

Sounds like Grambling can't afford an athletic department at this point and should shutter the whole thing.

Draxal

They complained they had to ride buses to games and their weight rooms werent great. sound like 8 year old whining about things not being fair.

If not, I would still say quit complaining and enjoy your free education.

It's more than, the revolt was led by a walk on. It's more like administration fired a popular coach who got shit done, and that the school is falling apart due to statewide budget cuts.

mre

They complained they had to ride buses to games and their weight rooms werent great. sound like 8 year old whining about things not being fair.

If not, I would still say quit complaining and enjoy your free education.
Their weight room floors are more than just "not great." From the description in the article, they were dangerous. Their now-fired coach, got them new flooring, but the administration refuses to have it installed. Tell me how that makes sense.

Quit complaining and enjoy their free education? Certain expectations exist, including the expectations that the school will allow you to train and practice in safe conditions. When the school not only fails to provide you with those safe conditions but is seemingly actively working to prevent you from having safe conditions in which to practice and play, I think the players should stick up for themselves.

Tell me again which side of the "players should be paid" argument you're on, because I hope you're consistent here and think the players should just enjoy their free education.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Their weight room floors are more than just "not great." From the description in the article, they were dangerous. Their now-fired coach, got them new flooring, but the administration refuses to have it installed. Tell me how that makes sense.

Quit complaining and enjoy their free education? Certain expectations exist, including the expectations that the school will allow you to train and practice in safe conditions. When the school not only fails to provide you with those safe conditions but is seemingly actively working to prevent you from having safe conditions in which to practice and play, I think the players should stick up for themselves.

You seem awfully supportive of them. Don't tell me Grambling is another one of your many alma maters?

Tell me again which side of the "players should be paid" argument you're on, because I hope you're consistent here and think the players should just enjoy their free education.

I concur. They are getting a free education, but it sounds like they are getting put in dangerous situations. Playing while exhausted, working out with outdated and unsanitary conditions? Fuck that.

Draxal

I'm just shocked that any one would side against the players on this one.

I have to agree here, if you can't support football cut it or the other sports, but half ass supporting all those sports is just stupid and dangerous.

The second issue I have is with the admin, yes the coach was out of line, but they are paying the buyout, but can't even fly the team.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I concur. They are getting a free education, but it sounds like they are getting put in dangerous situations. Playing while exhausted, working out with outdated and unsanitary conditions? Fuck that.

People keep saying a free education. That isn't even CLOSE to being true. Talk about minimizing what football players do.

I am 100% against players being paid in college. Free education, room and board, and various other perks is fair I say.

Full disclosure I did not read the SI article or bleacher report article until they were posted and was basing my opinion off the info that they werent allowed to fly and their weight room was crappy. So I will back pedal on my stance and say the kids are in the right.

But to play devils advocate,because I think this is an interesting debate, its obvious the school cant fund football (which is likely hemorrhaging the university money) why would you not cut athletics and focus instead on education?

Draxal

I am 100% against players being paid in college. Free education, room and board, and various other perks is fair I say.

Full disclosure I did not read the SI article or bleacher report article until they were posted and was basing my opinion off the info that they werent allowed to fly and their weight room was crappy. So I will back pedal on my stance and say the kids are in the right.

But to play devils advocate,because I think this is an interesting debate, its obvious the school cant fund football (which is likely hemorrhaging the university money) why would you not cut athletics and focus instead on education?

This change is all very recent due to the new state budget, but it wouldn't surprise me if the university does or closes down entirely.

Mind you, Grambling State's football program has very strong tradition due to Robinson, and it's something that they're going to fight to hold onto. If alumni are going to donate to anything at all it would be their football program (and its what got their previous head coach fired).

mre

You're not playing devil's advocate with me. That was my first post on the subject:
Sounds like Grambling can't afford an athletic department at this point and should shutter the whole thing.

mre

This change is all very recent due to the new state budget, but it wouldn't surprise me if the university does or closes down entirely.

Mind you, Grambling State's football program has very strong tradition due to Robinson, and it's something that they're going to fight to hold onto. If alumni are going to donate to anything at all it would be their football program (and its what got their previous head coach fired).
Which is the problem. They want to hold onto that tradition, but they can't afford it and so they put their players' health at risk. I'm still baffled why they wouldn't install that weight room floor that was purchased.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Having not read any of the newer posts, don't know what's going on in the current game, but...

I didn't scare off the Miami guy, did I???

:p

(Odds are, that game happened before he was born, and has no effect on him. But 12 year old me loved the shit out of that game)

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Having not read any of the newer posts, don't know what's going on in the current game, but...

I didn't scare off the Miami guy, did I???

:p

Gloom don't care. He is a Miami fan. He is used to ether being thrown around. It is usually to quell pain though.

Draxal

Which is the problem. They want to hold onto that tradition, but they can't afford it and so they put their players' health at risk. I'm still baffled why they wouldn't install that weight room floor that was purchased.

Administrative hubris; the lack of communication with team about why the coach got fired and need for bus travel did not help.

President said they were going to spend 32 grand on the weight room in the next two weeks.

My biggest issue ... is why are you paying the buyout on the contract in their position; mindboggingly stupid, you don't fire a coach in their economic position unless he was totally catastrophic ... which he wasn't, he just circumvented the funds going into direct upgrades for the football program.

Top Bottom