• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football 2013 |Week 8| The best X-loss teams in the nation

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Paraphrased from his Coach's show tonight:

Saban: I want a 9-game SEC schedule, 60-70 team Division I

More Conference teams, less BCS/Division One teams. Maybe he means to have a locked schedule, Div 1 only, for everyone.

LegoDad

GAF Pick'em Week 8 Games

(FRI) UCF @ Louisville by 18
Texas Tech @ West Virginia by 9
TCU @ Oklahoma State by 9
Florida @ Missouri by 4
Iowa @ Ohio State by 18
Auburn @ Texas A&M by 18
UCLA @ Stanford by 4
Maryland @ Wake Forest by 4
Duke @ Virginia by 4
Washington @ Arizona State by 4
USC @ Notre Dame by 4
Florida State @ Clemson by 4

bachikarn

(FRI) UCF @ Louisville by 4
Texas Tech @ West Virginia by 4
TCU @ Oklahoma State by 4
Florida @ Missouri by 4
Iowa @ Ohio State by 4
Auburn @ Texas A&M by 4
UCLA @ Stanford by 4
Maryland @ Wake Forest by 4
Duke @ Virginia by 4
USC @ Notre Dame by 4
Florida State @ Clemson by 4

(FRI) UCF @ Louisville by 4
Texas Tech @ West Virginia by 17
TCU @ Oklahoma State by 10
Florida @ Missouri by 4
Iowa @ Ohio State by 20
Auburn @ Texas A&M by 14
UCLA @ Stanford by 4
Maryland @ Wake Forest by 7
Duke @ Virginia by 4
USC @ Notre Dame by 4
Florida State @ Clemson by 7

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Apparently there is momentum to the rumor that FSU's backup QB, Jacob Coker will transfer to Bama in the off-season. If so, that could be HUGE for us next year.

Quake1028

Well, that Miami team is #10 in the nation, apparently...

Road game, Thursday night, opponent with nothing to lose, house of horrors for us, 4 starters go out, 4 interceptions by our senior QB. Anyone who didn't see this shitshow coming a mile away was blind.

Anyways, it's quite obvious that UNC is the best 1 win team in the country.

Limedust

Apparently there is momentum to the rumor that FSU's backup QB, Jacob Coker will transfer to Bama in the off-season. If so, that could be HUGE for us next year.

Sims (current backup, presumed front-runner for 2014)
Del Rio (current #3 QB, preferred walk-on)
Morris (Scholarship QB)
Bateman (Scholarship QB)
McLeod (Scholarship QB)
Cornwell (2014 Commit)
Coker (?)
Town (2015 Commit)

Who transfers? Judging by work-to-date, I'd guess McLeod

Road game, Thursday night, opponent with nothing to lose, house of horrors for us, 4 starters go out, 4 interceptions by our senior QB. Anyone who didn't see this shitshow coming a mile away was blind.

Anyways, it's quite obvious that UNC is the best 1 win team in the country.

Sorry, thats kentucky.

andycapps

More Conference teams, less BCS/Division One teams. Maybe he means to have a locked schedule, Div 1 only, for everyone.

CFB would really make the transition to minor leagues for NFL at that point. Say goodbye to undefeated seasons.

I don't see that happening. 9 game conference slate, sure.

jjasper

You mean the year after next?

9 game sec schedule is happening. And there will be a 60-70 team division when the SEC, ACC, Big 10, Big 12, and Pac 12 break off.

KingGondo

Banned
Morris (Scholarship QB)
Bateman (Scholarship QB)
McLeod (Scholarship QB)
Cornwell (2014 Commit)
Coker (?)
Town (2015 Commit)

Come back to OSU, Luke! We like, really need you.

andycapps

That's what I'm thinking, it wouldn't help us next year.

I thought David Cornwell was the guy they were going with next year as a true freshman?

I'm curious who we'll go with next year. Hutson Mason as a 5th year senior who's never started a game but allegedly had/has tons of talent, or redshirt freshman Brice Ramsey who was highly recruited this year, or true freshman Jacob Park who could be the QB of our future. I guess it's good to have options. Part of me feels like Mason deserves his chance, but I think we also have to start preparing our next QB for the future. If Park is the guy, I think you start working him in there and getting him some mop up experience. But if Brice Ramsey is the guy, then I think you should start him from the beginning since he redshirted this year.

mre

You mean the year after next?
I want to say he's set to graduate either this December or May. He'll still have 2 years of eligibility left, and its my understanding that this means he skates around the SEC's ban on transfers of grad students with only 1 year of eligibility.
I thought David Cornwell was the guy they were going with next year as a true freshman?
Hence my excitement that we might not have to go with a true freshman or Blake Sims.
I'm curious who we'll go with next year. Hutson Mason as a 5th year senior who's never started a game
Joe Cox redux?
Morris (Scholarship QB)
Bateman (Scholarship QB)
McLeod (Scholarship QB)

Cornwell (2014 Commit)
Coker (?)
Town (2015 Commit)

If we get Coker, I'd say two of the bolded leave.

Lonestar

I'm curious who we'll go with next year. Hutson Mason as a 5th year senior who's never started a game but allegedly had/has tons of talent, or redshirt freshman Brice Ramsey who was highly recruited this year, or true freshman Jacob Park who could be the QB of our future. I guess it's good to have options.

Going to find out next year, one way or another.

If we can't find a QB that only has to complete simple passes without getting picked off, out of the following players:
TR F David Cornwell 4 star (96)
RS F Cooper Bateman 4 star (95)
RS F Parker McLeod 3 star (81)
RS F Luke Del Rio 3 star (86)
RS SO Alec Morris 3 star (87)
RS SR Blake Sims 4 star ATH (91)

Then not sure a 3 star (88) will make a difference.

Some are saying he's already graduated, and could be one of those "masoli/wilson" type moves, where immediate transfer is available, but instead would have 2 years to play. Not sure if I believe that.

mre

If we can't find a QB that only has to complete simple passes without getting picked off, out of the following players:

Some are saying he's already graduated, and could be one of those "masoli/wilson" type moves, where immediate transfer is available, but instead would have 2 years to play. Not sure if I believe that.
I'm not saying that Coker is near as good as Jameis Winston, but (and Nole fans can correct me if I'm wrong) he was in a fight for the starting job with Winston during fall camp.

Coker is a RS Sophomore, so if he does graduate, he will have two years left, which I think is the only way he'd be able to transfer and play immediately in the SEC, thanks to the ban on 1 year grad student transfers the SEC put into place thanks to Ole Miss and Masoli.

Lonestar

I'm not saying that Coker is near as good as Jameis Winston, but (and Nole fans can correct me if I'm wrong) he was in a fight for the starting job with Winston during fall camp.

Coker is a RS Sophomore, so if he does graduate, he will have two years left, which I think is the only way he'd be able to transfer and play immediately in the SEC, thanks to the ban on 1 year grad student transfers the SEC put into place thanks to Ole Miss and Masoli.

if it happens, I wonder if they'll try to change the rule to cover that. Except then, it accidentally bans all transfers.

Just realized that Coker was McCarron's Backup/follow up QB in HS (St. Paul's Episcopal)

andycapps

I want to say he's set to graduate either this December or May. He'll still have 2 years of eligibility left, and its my understanding that this means he skates around the SEC's ban on transfers of grad students with only 1 year of eligibility.

Hence my excitement that we might not have to go with a true freshman or Blake Sims.

Joe Cox redux?

If we get Coker, I'd say two of the bolded leave.

I don't think he's Joe Cox level. Mason almost transferred several times and has stated in quite a few interviews that he's upset he didn't get the opportunity to start, but that he understands that Murray became the guy. He's hung around this long because he thinks he's going to get this one year to start. I'm guessing he's thinking of it more as his DJ Shockley opportunity after David Greene was so successful. The difference is that DJ Shockley got some opportunities in mop up time, and thanks to our defense, we haven't had much mop up time.

About the defense, some of the secondary from last year that are in the pros now have said that their playbooks are less complicated than Grantham's. I really think he needs to simplify things for his true freshmen. They're playing slow and tentative right now because there are too many reads they have to make.

Going to find out next year, one way or another.

It is true, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Our system necessitates that we have a very capable QB. I'm going to guess that they redshirt Jacob Park, and that the battle is between Mason and Ramsey. Ramsey's problem is that he came out of a wing-T offense in highschool and adjusting to our pro-style is probably pretty rough.

I really like Jacob Park's size though. 6'4" and 206 already. Could be 215 or 220 by spring when he'll be early enrolled.

Quake1028

I'm interested to see where we go for QB after next year, which is presumably Ryan Williams's year, since he will be a Senior and is the only guy getting pt besides Morris. Kevin Olsen is a four star who will be a redshirt FR next year, and we have Brad Kaaya coming in, also a four star. I would assume Olsen fights it out for backup reps next year and Kaaya redshirts, then the two of them and whoever else fight it out for 2015.

mre

So this exists:

d3XU7ye.jpg

Can't wait to show my dad next time I see him. I want to see his face in person.

Meier

Coker is a very good player. Wish he'd stick around.. I imagine Jameis goes pro after next season at which point Coker could still be a starter his Senior year.

Lonestar

It would be awkward if Alabama and FSU end up in the championship at the end of the year. It would be REALLY awkward, if FSU won, and he transferred to Alabama.

andycapps

It would be awkward if Alabama and FSU end up in the championship at the end of the year. It would be REALLY awkward, if FSU won, and he transferred to Alabama.

I think the rugged slate of ACC competition will keep any ACC team out of the championship game. By that I mean the circle of suck will strike everyone.

andycapps

I think (hope?) we outran our circle of suck game last night.

Well, even if you happened to outrun your circle of suck game, then you face FSU on the road. So one of you will be eliminated from a MNC then. FSU plays Clemson this weekend, so one of them will be eliminated then. FSU also has to play Florida at the end of the year. Even if the circle of suck doesn't get everyone, the parity at the top of the conference will ruin chances.

I never thought I'd attribute the term parity to anyone other than the SEC, but there you go.

As far as Bama getting to the MNC this year, it could happen but I think there's less chance based on how they're playing. LSU has to come in and try to beat them, but surprisingly, Auburn may not be a given at this point either. And if they make it, there's the SECCG to go through. This could be an SEC-less MNC. My prediction right now is Oregon and Ohio State. I think I threw up a little typing that.

Quake1028

Oh yeah, fuck, I didn't mean to imply I think we are going unbeaten or anything. Just that I hope we won the game we should have lost that we should have won, if that makes any sense. I still think we lose to FSU and probably Va Tech. I would be happy with 10-2 though, for sure ;).

andycapps

Oh yeah, fuck, I didn't mean to imply I think we are going unbeaten or anything. Just that I hope we won the game we should have lost that we should have won, if that makes any sense. I still think we lose to FSU and probably Va Tech. I would be happy with 10-2 though, for sure ;).

10-2 seems reasonable, 11-1 as a stretch but doable.

I'm not sure if this is newsworthy, but I chuckled.. Wright Thompson just tweeted that LSU fans are already drinking in the parking lot of Walmart in Oxford. :jnc

Enfinit

Man, really? I hope not, but I would understand.

I've seen Coker play during practice and during the Spring game, and he's good. Really good. Guy's got a cannon for an arm and ridiculous intelligence.

Hah, that was fun. Not sure whether or not the FSU Panama City thing was an intentional joke or not. If you search FSU city, Panama City campus is one of the top results.
Sacked him so bad he dragged him all the way to the Panama campus.

mre

Gata's $9.99 site reporting that Murphy has missed practice all week but is expected to play this weekend. Any Gatas hear that he was even injured this week, or did I just miss that?

Enfinit

Gata's $9.99 site reporting that Murphy has missed practice all week but is expected to play this weekend. Any Gatas hear that he was even injured this week, or did I just miss that?

He's working on getting over his fear of tigers.

Bishman

GAF Pick'em Week 8 Games

(FRI) UCF @ Louisville by 15
Texas Tech @ West Virginia by 5
TCU @ Oklahoma State by 7
Florida @ Missouri by 3
Iowa @ Ohio State by 19
Auburn @ Texas A&M by X
UCLA @ Stanford by 5
Maryland @ Wake Forest by 7
Duke @ Virginia by 7
Washington @ Arizona State by 6