• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football 2015 Week Eight Thread: UM 23 | MSU 21 | 00:00

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
DZhjS09.gif

7HorWeB.gif

WEEK Eight PICK 'EMS
NOTICE: THIS WEEK'S BONUS/TIE BREAKER IS TO PICK THE NUMBER OF TURNOVERS IN ALL PICK 'EM GAMES!

Remember, I'm representing the spread next to the team favored to win by the number of points in parentheses next to them. You decide if that team will win by more than that amount of points (i.e., they'll "cover" the spread) or whether you think they will either win by fewer than that amount of points or just outright lose (either of these would be a "no cover" scenario). If you have questions, ask!

Rules:

1. 1 Point for every COVER/NO COVER pick you make correctly.
2. The Person with the highest total that weeks gets 3 bonus points.
3. Ties to determine who gets the bonus points will be based upon predicting the total number of turnovers in all of this week's Pick 'Em Games (I'll call this the BONUS pick). For those who are tied, we'll look at this pick. Closest gets the bonus points.
4. If two people pick the same BONUS, then no one gets the bonus points. HOWEVER, if people are off from the BONUS by the same amount, but one went high and the other went low, then The Price is Right rules apply, and the person under the actual BONUS gets the bonus points.
Example: If the NUMBER OF TURNOVERS in all of the Pick 'Em games is actually 28, and one person guesses 20 and the other 36, then the person who guessed 20 gets the tiebreaker and the bonus points.​
5. If anyone correctly guesses the exact BONUS, they will receive 2 bonus points.

This Week's Games:

Predict the total number of turnovers in all Pick 'Em games! NOTICE: THIS WEEK'S BONUS/TIE BREAKER IS TO PICK THE NUMBER OF TURNOVERS IN ALL PICK 'EM GAMES!
BONUS (Total # of Turnovers) -

Saturday
ISU v. Baylor (-31.5)
Texas Tech v. Oklahoma (-13.5)
Indiana v. MSU (-14.5)
Virginia v. UNC (-16.5)
Kansas v. Oklahoma State (-31.5)
FSU (-10.5) v. GaTech
WKU v. LSU (-20.5)
TAMU v. Mississippi (-6.5)
Utah (-3.5) v. USC
OSU (-20.5) v. Rutgers

Here's an example FROM WEEK ONE as to how you should post your picks:

BONUS Game
BONUS - 18 Turnovers
Thursday
South Carolina (-3.5) vs. UNC - COVER
TCU (-19.5) vs. Minnesota - COVER
Saturday
New Mexico State vs. Florida (-36.5) NO COVER
Louisville v. Auburn (-14.5) COVER
BYU v. Nebraska (-9.5) COVER
Texas v. Notre Dame (-11.5) - NO COVER
Wisconsin v. Alabama (-11.5) - NO COVER
Arkansas St. v. USC (-33.5) - COVER
Stanford (-12.5) v. Northwestern - NO COVER
Ohio State (-17.5) v. VA Tech - COVER

Here is what is being said with those picks:

BONUS
BONUS - 18 turnovers | This pick is for there to be a total # of 18 turnovers in all of the Pick 'Em games this week.
Thursday
South Carolina (-3.5) vs. UNC - COVER | This pick is for SoCar to beat UNC by 4 or more points.
TCU (-19.5) vs. Minnesota - COVER | This pick is for TCU to beat Minnesota by 20 or more points
Saturday
New Mexico State vs. Florida (-36.5) NO COVER | This pick is for Florida to either beat NMSU by 36 or fewer points or to lose to NMSU.
Louisville v. Auburn (-14.5) COVER | This pick is for Auburn to beat Louisville by 15 or more points.
BYU v. Nebraska (-9.5) COVER | This pick is for Nebraska to beat BYU by 10 or more points.
Texas v. Notre Dame (-11.5) - NO COVER | This pick is for Notre Dame to either beat Texas by 11 or fewer points or to lose to Texas.
Wisconsin v. Alabama (-11.5) - NO COVER | This pick is for Alabama to either beat Wisconsin by 11 or fewer points or to lose to Wisconsin.
Arkansas St. v. USC (-33.5) - COVER | This pick is USC to beat Arkansas State by 34 or more points.
Stanford (-12.5) v. Northwestern - NO COVER | This pick is for Stanford to either beat Northwestern by 12 or fewer points or to lose to Northwestern.
Ohio State (-17.5) v. VA Tech - COVER | This pick is for OSU to beat VA Tech by 18 or more points.

Predict the total number of passes (should be turnovers) attempted! NOTICE: THIS WEEK'S BONUS/TIE BREAKER IS TO PICK THE NUMBER OF TURNOVERS IN ALL PICK 'EM GAMES!
BONUS (Total # of Turnovers) - 20

Saturday
ISU v. Baylor (-31.5) COVER
Texas Tech v. Oklahoma (-13.5) COVER
Indiana v. MSU (-14.5) NO COVER
Virginia v. UNC (-16.5) NO COVER
Kansas v. Oklahoma State (-31.5) COVER
FSU (-10.5) v. GaTech NO COVER
WKU v. LSU (-20.5) COVER
TAMU v. Mississippi (-6.5) NO COVER
Utah (-3.5) v. USC COVER
OSU (-20.5) v. Rutgers COVER

andycapps

What did he say to get blocked?

I was reading through his timeline. Basically, just giving Freeze shit for DB's not knowing how to stop walk on wide receivers from Memphis, etc. Typical fan stuff, just funny that Freeze blocked him and wants to talk to him.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I was reading through his timeline. Basically, just giving Freeze shit for DB's not knowing how to stop walk on wide receivers from Memphis, etc. Typical fan stuff, just funny that Freeze blocked him and wants to talk to him.

He was probably made to apologize by the AD. I wonder if Freeze is forced to have a Twitter account and actually use it.

He was probably made to apologize by the AD. I wonder if Freeze is forced to have a Twitter account and actually use it.

He's an excellent recruiter, so he probably makes sure to have a good Twitter presence. Sounds like he doesn't know how to ignore twitter trolls. Probably had a helicopter mom.

andycapps

I miss the days of Fla/Ga (or "flaga") being an unknown. And with both teams thinking they have a shot to win. These two weeks are gonna be great.

I can only hope the Richting continues.

It would be very Richt-like to have an inept offensive performance against Mizzou this last week to then follow it with a performance so complete we wonder where these players were all season. We're great at playing down to the level of our opponents.

It would be very Richt-like to have an inept offensive performance against Mizzou this last week to then follow it with a performance so complete we wonder where these players were all season. We're great at playing down to the level of our opponents.

My old Staff Sergeant always says that about Richt. "He wins the games he's not supposed to, and loses the ones he is supposed to win."

Lunar15

Law of Florida Georgia states that Georgia is pretty much guaranteed to win this game. But if Richt loses the games he's supposed to win, does that mean they're guaranteed to lose?

Dear god, we've created a time paradox!

Also, I really hope someone sat down with McElwain and explained that Les Miles calling a fake kick was the most certain thing in the universe. It was more certain than gravity. I mean it. There was a greater chance that we'd all fall off the earth than Miles not calling a fake.

ag-my001

BTHO Ole Miss!

I actually feel very good about our chances, and not just because Memphis beat the rebels. None of the pick sixes were really forced by the Alabama defense, they were just very poorly thrown balls. That can be fixed. And Ole Miss just lost to Memphis.

10-1 going into LSU, here we come! Gig'em!

xeris

Listening, although since I work in Ann Arbor and many coworkers are wolverines, I've heard shades of this all day.

Also, bless Jemele Hill.

Listening as well. Can't really argue against the point the Harbaugh looks like a whiner for that post-game. Also that Dantonio shouldn't have gotten cute with the fake punt.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
BTHO Ole Miss!

I actually feel very good about our chances, and not just because Memphis beat the rebels. None of the pick sixes were really forced by the Alabama defense, they were just very poorly thrown balls. That can be fixed. And Ole Miss just lost to Memphis.

10-1 going into LSU, here we come! Gig'em!

eh, no, calling bullshit on this. 1st one, #57 pushed your LT into the space right in front of Allen while he was throwing, causing him to throw it quicker than he wanted (meaning off his back foot) where he overthrew the tight end, and ended up returned by Fitz.

Fitz's 2nd pick 6, Allen is in the midst of dodging 2 DLinemen and throws off balance, towards a WR that is running a different route, while Fitz is looking towards the QB and catches the ball. Now sure, Allen could have just ran forward for some yardage, or even attempted to recompose his body after dodging the pass rush to get a better pass off, but the pressure he felt caused him to decide to throw that pass.

Jackon's 96 yard return, Allen didn't throw under pressure, and just overthrew the guy. Side effect, you had 96 yards available to you to try and tackle him.

2 or those 3 pick 6's were in the 1st half, when we still had our Center in the game, moving the ball at whim with Henry. Instead, those 2 offensive drives never happened, because the defense just scored it themselves.

Jackson's other interception (Murray) was under minimal pressure, and Jackson undercut a wide open Kirk.

Did 6 sacks and 12 Tackles for Loss do nothing to effect the QB play?

Do I have to come back and create gifs and little pointy arrows?

Horrible Music is Horrible, prease mute

bachikarn

So we passed on the Memphis QB who is now getting projections of being a top NFL QB draft picked in favor of Syler fucking Mornhinweg. Thanks Muschamp.

So we passed on the Memphis QB who is now getting projections of being a top NFL QB draft picked in favor of Syler fucking Mornhinweg. Thanks Muschamp.

We also missed that receiver for Kentucky. He was really shit at anything on the offensive side of the team.

ag-my001

Lonestar's Insightful Game Breakdown

I suppose I should have found a better word than "forced". Alabama's defense certainly did a good job setting themselves up for success. I guess I remember two of the throws being just plain overthrown, but you're right that your defensive line was influencing reads and decisions. We got beat, and I'm just disappointed we didn't make it more of a game when I think we should have.

I am a bit surprised at a Bama fan describing 96 yards as plenty of space to tackle a guy; I have vague recollections of another long return involving the Tide a few years ago.

Oh well, here's to next week and new chances.

ag-my001

I have no idea why that score was up there; those ribbon boards never did anything like that before, just scores from that week.

And I'm all for "caring about Texas". We need to play, at the very least once every other year.

Now let's both set aside long returns and laugh at Michigan for a 40 yard one.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Hmmm, hold it till the next game, I guess.

Former Alabama RB, who I think is on his 3rd team for the year, Altee Tenpenny, arrested on Firearm charges.

Ganhyun

VRMN

should've just went for it

No, punting was the right call. What was fucking idiotic was not going in max protect when MSU was very obviously sending the house and selling out for a block. There were so many Spartans in the backfield that I wouldn't have been shocked had they blocked a non-fumbled kick.

I mean, seriously, Valenti had a point. They basically played 8 guys blocking 10, sending the other three to defend on a return when MSU didn't have a return guy. If you want to blame someone for that debacle, blame Harbaugh for hanging the kid out to dry and then throwing him under the bus when he had two seconds to punt on a low snap when his style has him hold it for four seconds in the best of times.

No, punting was the right call. What was fucking idiotic was not going in max protect when MSU was very obviously sending the house and selling out for a block. There were so many Spartans in the backfield that I wouldn't have been shocked had they blocked a non-fumbled kick.

I mean, seriously, Valenti had a point. They basically played 8 guys blocking 10, sending the other three to defend on a return when MSU didn't have a return guy. If you want to blame someone for that debacle, blame Harbaugh for hanging the kid out to dry and then throwing him under the bus when he had two seconds to punt on a low snap when his style has him hold it for four seconds in the best of times.

Was mostly kidding. I agree.

cdyhybrid

Predict the total number of turnovers in all Pick 'Em games! NOTICE: THIS WEEK'S BONUS/TIE BREAKER IS TO PICK THE NUMBER OF TURNOVERS IN ALL PICK 'EM GAMES!
BONUS (Total # of Turnovers) - 30

Saturday
ISU v. Baylor (-31.5) NO COVER
Texas Tech v. Oklahoma (-13.5) NO COVER
Indiana v. MSU (-14.5) NO COVER
Virginia v. UNC (-16.5) NO COVER
Kansas v. Oklahoma State (-31.5) COVER
FSU (-10.5) v. GaTech NO COVER
WKU v. LSU (-20.5) COVER
TAMU v. Mississippi (-6.5) COVER
Utah (-3.5) v. USC COVER
OSU (-20.5) v. Rutgers COVER