• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football 2015 Week Eight Thread: UM 23 | MSU 21 | 00:00

How i feel about todays News

CRx6xdrVAAAUQWf.jpg

andycapps

Big guy with a strong arm that has a questionable attitude?

Hmm, who does that remind me of?

Eli Manning? Jamarcus Russell?

What?

The guy is built to play professionally. He has the arm and size to be an NFL QB.

There's more to playing in the NFL than size and arm strength. How good is he at reading defenses? Is he able to declare who the Mike linebacker is, unlike most spread QB's coming out of college now? Changing plays at the line of scrimmage? 5 step drop?

I agree with the above that Cardale should transfer if he wants to play in the pros. He has all the tools but needs to get into a good program that will prepare him to be an NFL QB.

There's more to playing in the NFL than size and arm strength. How good is he at reading defenses? Is he able to declare who the Mike linebacker is, unlike most spread QB's coming out of college now? Changing plays at the line of scrimmage? 5 step drop?

I agree with the above that Cardale should transfer if he wants to play in the pros. He has all the tools but needs to get into a good program that will prepare him to be an NFL QB.

Sure, I'm not saying he is perfect. But with good coaching and a good system, he can. It seems here that we are downplaying the severe deficit of talent at QB in the NFL. It's horrendous and the guy has the physical tools to be successful.

andycapps

Sure, I'm not saying he is perfect. But with good coaching and a good system, he can. It seems here that we are downplaying the severe deficit of talent at QB in the NFL. It's horrendous and the guy has the physical tools to be successful.

Totally agree about the state of QB's in the pros. Most of the league has average, at best QBs, starting. And a lot of them are getting really old, while the 2nd and 3rd string QB's will be these spread QB's coming out, but NFL teams are reluctant to promote them up to 1st string, or maybe they're not capable of it since they've never been in a pro-style system.

Jones would still be anything but a sure thing, because he's going to be a lower round pick, most likely. And QB's picked in lower rounds are usually taken for depth, getting the practice reps to learn would be rough, and he'd be hoping for a couple injuries to get a shot, most likely.

Cardale wont transfer, he'll see this season through and go pro. Always what was going to happen and will continue to be what happens.

Totally agree about the state of QB's in the pros. Most of the league has average, at best QBs, starting. And a lot of them are getting really old, while the 2nd and 3rd string QB's will be these spread QB's coming out, but NFL teams are reluctant to promote them up to 1st string, or maybe they're not capable of it since they've never been in a pro-style system.

Jones would still be anything but a sure thing, because he's going to be a lower round pick, most likely. And QB's picked in lower rounds are usually taken for depth, getting the practice reps to learn would be rough, and he'd be hoping for a couple injuries to get a shot, most likely.

No, I'm not saying he isn't a sure thing. There is no such thing as a sure thing. There is only those every decade or two since Andrew and before him Elway.

With the deficit and arguably declining oline play as well.. The league is going to get desperate and assuming he lands on a contender with a reliable qb
(Green Bay, Pats, Cincy [that would be the best place I think with Marvin Lewis's track record with head cases and where Geographically and overall team, but Andy is still a young man], and San Diego and a few others to a lesser extant)

He will get his chance and some team is taking him.

What counts as having a "questionable attitude?"

The fact that he made an admittedly dumb tweet when he was an underclassman? The fact that he's expressing some disappointment today?

Dude seems to have a pretty good head on his shoulders, all things considered. I'm kind of annoyed by how people keep exaggerating Cardale's behavior, largely based on a single tweet from a few years ago.

What counts as having a "questionable attitude?"

The fact that he made an admittedly dumb tweet when he was an underclassman? The fact that he's expressing some disappointment today?

Dude seems to have a pretty good head on his shoulders, all things considered. I'm kind of annoyed by how people keep exaggerating Cardale's behavior, largely based on a single tweet from a few years ago.

I would agree, you can tell that Cardale is a very up and down person (which isnt necessarily a bad thing but can be). He rides the highs like end of last season but can get stuck in ruts when things are going great. Saw signs of it this year with him pointing and yelling at WR on the field. But nothing he has done has ever said oh hes a big idiot or a bad teammate.

Cardale was given half a season of starter experience so I guess his decision to come back to tOSU one more year wasn't a total mistake in his mind. But you know in the back of his mind right now he's wishing he went straight to the pros. He obviously has no desire to get a degree or anything

Cardale was given half a season of starter experience so I guess his decision to come back to tOSU one more year wasn't a total mistake in his mind. But you know in the back of his mind right now he's wishing he went straight to the pros. He obviously has no desire to get a degree or anything
Why would you assume that he has no interest in getting a degree?

Someone find the tweet!
Again, three years ago. Cardale is a solid student with no huge behavioral issues.

I'm just really sick of people continuing to make dumb assumptions about Cardale's intelligence and character.

Personally, I like to save ridicule for college football players who deserve it. Lord knows there are plenty of them. Cardale isn't one of them.

EDIT: Cardale cited getting his degree as one of the reasons why he was staying. So yeah, he wants a college degree.

xeris

BONUS (Total # of Turnovers) - 28

Saturday
ISU v. Baylor (-31.5) NO COVER
Texas Tech v. Oklahoma (-13.5) NO COVER
Indiana v. MSU (-14.5) NO COVER
Virginia v. UNC (-16.5) NO COVER
Kansas v. Oklahoma State (-31.5) NO COVER
FSU (-10.5) v. GaTech COVER
WKU v. LSU (-20.5) COVER
TAMU v. Mississippi (-6.5) NO COVER
Utah (-3.5) v. USC COVER
OSU (-20.5) v. Rutgers NO COVER

Doesn't really matter if he can do those things or not. All it takes is one over confident coach who falls in love with his "size" and "arm talent" and BOOM he gets drafted. There are far too many coaches who care more about physical tools than mental tools, they always think they can just "coach a guy up".

Its why Christian Ponder was a first rounder and Russell Wilson was a third rounder.

eh, stafford isn't really fat anymore though

Okay but he's still a moron QB with questionable work ethic who hasn't progressed in his ability to read a defense or make good decisions on the field. He's got prototypical size and a cannon of an arm though!

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Former Alabama running back Altee Tenpenny has passed away from injuries sustained in a car accident.

andycapps

Stafford will always be Fatford.

Haha

Doesn't really matter if he can do those things or not. All it takes is one over confident coach who falls in love with his "size" and "arm talent" and BOOM he gets drafted. There are far too many coaches who care more about physical tools than mental tools, they always think they can just "coach a guy up".

Its why Christian Ponder was a first rounder and Russell Wilson was a third rounder.

Oh he'll get drafted. The question is if he'll be a high round pick and end up getting a shot at a starting job, or be 2nd and 3rd string for his career like most QB's.

Okay but he's still a moron QB with questionable work ethic who hasn't progressed in his ability to read a defense or make good decisions on the field. He's got prototypical size and a cannon of an arm though!

He's actually a really smart kid, he's just always had a problem with his decision making going back to college and highschool before that. He was even worse as a true freshman. Has always had a propensity to force throws because he knows how strong his arm is.

mre said:
Former Alabama running back Altee Tenpenny has passed away from injuries sustained in a car accident.

RIP

Ganhyun

BONUS (Total # of Turnovers) - 17

Saturday
ISU v. Baylor (-31.5) NO COVER
WKU v. LSU (-20.5) COVER
Utah (-3.5) v. USC COVER
OSU (-20.5) v. Rutgers NO COVER

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion

Yeah, saw this when I woke up this morning. Just a baffling, horrible spiral of a year he had. RIP Young Dude. Trying to remember the details behind his departure from Alabama.

andycapps

Yeah, saw this when I woke up this morning. Just a baffling, horrible spiral of a year he had. RIP Young Dude. Trying to remember the details behind his departure from Alabama.

Buried on the depth chart from what I remember. Transferred to UNLV, was kicked off there, and was just kicked off Nicholls State 2 days ago for possession of and discharging a firearm.

Kacar

BONUS (Total # of Turnovers) - 19

Saturday
ISU v. Baylor (-31.5) COVER
Texas Tech v. Oklahoma (-13.5) COVER
WKU v. LSU (-20.5) COVER
Utah (-3.5) v. USC NO COVER
OSU (-20.5) v. Rutgers COVER

mre

I believe he had several "violation of team rules" type suspensions/set-backs, but was not kicked off the team here. He left for UNLV to get playing time because he was buried on the depth chart because of his suspensions.

andycapps

BONUS (Total # of Turnovers) - 21

Saturday
Indiana v. MSU (-14.5) COVER
WKU v. LSU (-20.5) COVER
Utah (-3.5) v. USC COVER

ryseing

BONUS (Total # of Turnovers) - 18

Saturday
ISU v. Baylor (-31.5)- COVER
Texas Tech v. Oklahoma (-13.5)- NO COVER
Indiana v. MSU (-14.5)- NO COVER
Virginia v. UNC (-16.5)- NO COVER
Kansas v. Oklahoma State (-31.5)- COVER
FSU (-10.5) v. GaTech- COVER
WKU v. LSU (-20.5) - NO COVER
TAMU v. Mississippi (-6.5)- NO COVER
Utah (-3.5) v. USC- COVER
OSU (-20.5) v. Rutgers- COVER

I refuse to believe Carolina is good.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
BONUS (Total # of Turnovers) - 17

Saturday
Indiana v. MSU (-14.5) COVER
Virginia v. UNC (-16.5) COVER
Kansas v. Oklahoma State (-31.5) COVER
WKU v. LSU (-20.5) No cover
TAMU v. Mississippi (-6.5) NO Cover
Utah (-3.5) v. USC COVER

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
It looks like USC is actually favored over Utah right now. VegasInsider.com has USC opening as a 3 point favorite and moving up to a 3.5 point favorite.

Am I missing something? Why is a 3-3 team without a head coach favored over a top 5 team?

It looks like USC is actually favored over Utah right now. VegasInsider.com has USC opening as a 3 point favorite and moving up to a 3.5 point favorite.

Am I missing something? Why is a 3-3 team without a head coach favored over a top 5 team?

Uhhh theyre number 5 in the FPI, duh.

BONUS (Total # of Turnovers) - 13 (hold onta th' dang bawl)

Saturday
Virginia v. UNC (-16.5) COVER
Kansas v. Oklahoma State (-31.5) COVER
WKU v. LSU (-20.5) NO COVER
Utah (-3.5) v. USC NO COVER

andycapps

I'm guessing Utah still has some doubters in Vegas. Sometimes those lines are done to try to goad people into betting a certain way.

I can't find the lines right now due to being at work, but UGA had opened as a few point favorite over Florida for next week's game. That seems crazy to me if you've watched both teams play so far this year. Chalking that one up to being an early line and maybe Vegas is trying to get everyone to bet Florida for some reason?

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
I'm guessing Utah still has some doubters in Vegas. Sometimes those lines are done to try to goad people into betting a certain way.

I can't find the lines right now due to being at work, but UGA had opened as a few point favorite over Florida for next week's game. That seems crazy to me if you've watched both teams play so far this year. Chalking that one up to being an early line and maybe Vegas is trying to get everyone to bet Florida for some reason?

Honestly it reminds me of Texas Tech/West Virginia back in 2012. West Virginia was a top 5 team, Tech was coming off a 5-7 season and lost the only game they had against a team with a pulse so far, but the line was only WVU by 4 or something like that. Everybody was betting on WVU but the line never moved.

Tech won 49-14 in a game that wasn't even as close as the score indicates.

mre

USC was favored when I did the pick 'em. I just thought that was insane.

Top Bottom