• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football 2015 Week Five Thread: Gondo, But Not Forgotten

Lubricus

So much for making this game respectable. If we lose to OU next week and get off to a 1-5 start, Charlie may be done unfortunately.

And you all have Texas Tech in November.
I hope the sports administration is more patient than the fans. They have been really patient with all the other head coaches. Strong needs another two years.

squicken

wtf that was shameful ass defense from OU after they squandered that good punt return. OU isn't talented enough to be this undisciplined

JHall

Problem with Charlie is ... how much of is it Teddie and a weak Big East/AAC now?

I feel he stepped into a worse situation at Texas than he did at Louisville. It did help that he had Teddy and played in the AAC. I think he needs another two years.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Does Charlie deserve more time? Probably. Will he get it? No.

Texas is one of those marquee jobs that because of its current state, I don't see how any "hot" coach would want it. Super high expectations and super short timeframe to achieve it. Think Miami and Tennessee are next in line as legacy program = coaching death wish.

Having grown up in Texas in the 90's, it's still so bizarre that TCU is this much better than UT. It would have been unthinkable before Gary Patterson.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Welp, got my errands and groceries done, time to check in with the scores for the first time today and...

Oh, Texas. Ooooooooooh, Texas.

And you all have Texas Tech in November.

I'm a broken record at this point, but we've lost to Texas 6 straight times. Yes, that means we've faced Garrett Gilbert, Tyrone Swoopes, David Ash, and Case McCoy without a single win to speak of.

I'll believe we win when it actually happens and not a moment sooner.

Having grown up in Texas in the 90's, it's still so bizarre that TCU is this much better than UT. It would have been unthinkable before Gary Patterson.

It's unthinkable now.

Texas is one of those marquee jobs that because of its current state, I don't see how any "hot" coach would want it. Super high expectations and super short timeframe to achieve it. Think Miami and Tennessee are next in line as legacy program = coaching death wish.

Charlie Strong is the second coach we've had in 20 years and while he probably should get another year, the team has regressed, he's not recruiting well, his defense has fallen apart, and it's looking like he lost the team.

His preaching of accountability and max effort is great and what the team needed after Mack was there with his constant atmosphere of entitlement. But eventually a guy can't just stick around because yo believe in him. You need to see results of improvement.

Getting blown out twice in five weeks doesn't do that.

I love Charlie and what he preaches and teaches.

But at some point enough is enough. Now we have to win 5/7 just to be bowl eligible. And we aren't beating Oklahoma, or WVU, or KSU, and certainly not Tech this year.

What the hell happened Texas?

I would normally go check ShaggyBevo to laugh at Texas fans, but I should try to have respect for the dead.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
I love Charlie and what he preaches and teaches.

But at some point enough is enough. Now we have to win 5/7 just to be bowl eligible. And we aren't beating Oklahoma, or WVU, or KSU, and certainly not Tech this year.

I was looking at this the other day when I saw some bowl projection that had Texas being bowl eligible.

Even if you spot Texas wins against KU, ISU, KSU, and TTU, they would still have to win one game out of @TCU, @WVU, @BU, and neutral site OU to get bowl eligible. Didn't realize quite how dire it looked until I saw it laid out like that. I guess despite all the headlines this year I just didn't truly process that they're 1-3 before I looked up the schedule.

I was looking at this the other day when I saw some bowl projection that had Texas being bowl eligible.

Even if you spot Texas wins against KU, ISU, KSU, and TTU, they would still have to win one game out of @TCU, @WVU, @BU, and neutral site OU to get bowl eligible.

It's just not happening. It's not, KU and ISU are wins, but we WILL NOT beat WVU or BU or OU. No way.

This is why I was saying the last games were the season. We NEEDED to win those. I really hope the next coach doesn't bring back the entitlement and allow the players to run the school like Mack did but that's probably exactly what's going to happen because that's what the boosters will assume Charlie did wrong.

I hope we can scrap out 5 wins, somehow, and have Charlie keep his job really. But it's looking like it's just not happening.

My second favorite team, Maryland, is staying in there for the moment. I'd give anything for them to beat The Rivals.
(I actually don't like Maryland)

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Atrocious throw by Mayfield. Entire field wide open
It's almost like Baker Mayfield sucks.

Monroeski, could this be TRUE?

He looks this season a lot like he looked when he played for us, but now he's surrounded by a much better team. Performance drops significantly when he starts playing against teams with a pulse but 2015 OU can bail him out much more easily than 2013 TTU could.

NEVER FORGET

TexasTechQBlol.gif

squicken

He looks this season a lot like he looked when he played for us, but now he's surrounded by a much better team. Performance drops significantly when he starts playing against teams with a pulse but 2015 OU can bail him out much more easily than 2013 TTU could.

NEVER FORGET

http://notsportscenter.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/TexasTechQBlol.gif[/ig][/QUOTE]

I had no hope for him vs TCU, but with all their injuries, it's a maybe. Still think Baylor will coast but maybe OU or TCU surprise

Talon

That might be the most athletic play ever by a Northwestern athlete in history.

Edit: aaaaaaand overturned. Of course.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
I had no hope for him vs TCU, but with all their injuries, it's a maybe. Still think Baylor will coast but maybe OU or TCU surprise

Just go back and look here and here about what I was saying about him in a year that he won Big XII offensive freshman of the year. Nationally people loved this story about the walk-on who won a starting job and put up some yards, but if you took a vote amongst the average Tech fans that watched the team play every week you would have had Webb being the guy most liked more.

Of course, at the time, we didn't realize how money Mahomes (who was still in high school) would be so early.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
I believe Baylor is wearing gray today and Tech will be wearing white, making our game the 2nd gray-vs-white game in the Big XII today.

Crud

Banned
Living in Austin is awesome. Seeing all that stupid Longhorn shit everywhere I love seeing the fans upset. Team is garbage. Garbage ass college.

Living in Austin is awesome. Seeing all that stupid Longhorn shit everywhere I love seeing the fans upset. Team is garbage. Garbage ass college.

Don't talk shit about my Alma Mater like that. UT at Austin is a GREAT school, top 25 public school in the country, top ten law program, it's a great school.

Sounds like you're just salty.

Top Bottom