• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football 2015 Week Two Thread: OSU KOs VPI, forfeits bid to repeat

Status
Not open for further replies.

VRMN

Long-range if Oregon/MSU are battling for a final playoff spot I also think Oregon would get the edge. People would say 'well Adams was injured' or 'an overthrow in the final minute cost them the game they could've very easily won it'. Mental gymnastics would definitely be afoot.
I don't see many scenarios where MSU gets in without beating Ohio State anyway, but that's more because I think conference champions should be prioritized, or at least runners up, and Michigan State can't be a runner up since they share a division with OSU.

That said, if the last spot was between those two schools, MSU should get the edge due to the head-to-head win unless Ohio State demolishes them so hard you feel sorry for them.

Kind of silly thinking that far out, though. An important win, sure, but there are too many kinks for the Spartans to work out to be thinking out to November right now, let alone January.

I'm not even surprised after last week. MWC is going to win one game this week, and that's because it's the conference opener so someone will have to win.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
incredibly disastrous defensive play back there. They didn't really even contest that, for having 3 guys down there.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
I love that BYU goes out and schedules big, too. They could have gone the cupcake route and scheduled a bunch of mid-majors, but their schedule shows more depth than almost any Power-5 schools, whose only depth comes from playing themselves.

@Nebraska, Boise St, @UCLA, @Michigan, East Carolina, Cincinatti, @Missouri

That;s a pretty solid schedule. If they win out, they deserve to get a playoff nod over a one or two-loss conference champion, in my opinion. Probably won't happen (they won't go undefeated, and they wouldn't get in), but if they did and were excluded, it would highlight the need for an 8-team playoff quicker than anticipated.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
COwQMhrUYAEe_PJ.jpg

Ours for another year, go rockers!

Piggus

gg, MSU. I wasn't very confident after the Eastern Washington game, so at least they made it a close game. Wasn't a horrible loss, but I feel we're in for a rough season. I guess we'll see if the team really pulls it together the way they did last year after the loss to Arizona.

bachikarn

It's the same bullshit that Muschamp used which has severely weakened the program. Can't believe we have to endure the same thing with McElwain. So far, he's not giving me any reason to rethink my initial opinion about his hire.

Why didn't you initially like the hire?

That;s a pretty solid schedule. If they win out, they deserve to get a playoff nod over a one or two-loss conference champion, in my opinion. Probably won't happen (they won't go undefeated, and they wouldn't get in), but if they did and were excluded, it would highlight the need for an 8-team playoff quicker than anticipated.

Nah, they'd be the +1 in the Perfect 6 Team Model.

Kevtones

I don't see many scenarios where MSU gets in without beating Ohio State anyway, but that's more because I think conference champions should be prioritized, or at least runners up, and Michigan State can't be a runner up since they share a division with OSU.

That said, if the last spot was between those two schools, MSU should get the edge due to the head-to-head win unless Ohio State demolishes them so hard you feel sorry for them.

Kind of silly thinking that far out, though. An important win, sure, but there are too many kinks for the Spartans to work out to be thinking out to November right now, let alone January.

Totally. Body of work would be the qualifier there and I think if Oregon ran the table in the Pac12/won it... They'd get it.

That said I think Oregon plays ONE really good team the rest of the regular season. Cal might be tricky but they seem one note and play at Autzen. It's not farfetched they make it unscathed.

Westonian

Just once this season I want to enjoy watching BYU play without immensely high blood pressure. The past two games have been heart attack catalysts.

Mangum is becoming a freaking legend in his own time.

Lemme guess. This was near the end of the game. Florida can ice the game by running out the clock if #14 doesn't score. #14 wants to get a td while his teammate #40 wants to make sure Florida seals the victory so he resorts to tackling his own selfish player to ensure victory. Go gata

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Pick 'Em Results:

Week 2 said:
Andy, jhriad and TS-08 all three tied with 7 correct picks. However, all 3 picked Auburn to win by 35, so nobody gets the bonus points.

name [ tot_score ] [ w2_score ]
andycapps [ 13 ] [ 7 ]
jhriad [ 11 ] [ 7 ]
TS-08 [ 11 ] [ 7 ]
chaosblade [ 11 ] [ 6 ]
perfectchaos007 [ 12 ] [ 6 ]
Randolph Freelander [ 11 ] [ 6 ]
Frustrated_Grunt [ 11 ] [ 6 ]
Westonian [ 13 ] [ 6 ]
FloydtheFathead [ 13 ] [ 6 ]
cdyhybrid [ 10 ] [ 5 ]
chicko1983 [ 9 ] [ 5 ]
AlteredBeast [ 11 ] [ 5 ]
Ganhyun [ 10 ] [ 5 ]
xeris [ 12 ] [ 5 ]
bucknuticus [ 9 ] [ 5 ]
KingGondo [ 11 ] [ 5 ]
GoldenEye007 [ 7 ] [ 5 ]
MrJames [ 8 ] [ 5 ]
Subitai [ 5 ] [ 5 ]
Dsyndrome [ 9 ] [ 4 ]
Battlezone [ 9 ] [ 4 ]
Fragamemnon [ 8 ] [ 4 ]
Kacar [ 11 ] [ 4 ]
theprodigy [ 11 ] [ 4 ]
sf2fanatic [ 10 ] [ 4 ]
cashman [ 10 ] [ 4 ]
JCX [ 8 ] [ 4 ]
Monroeski [ 14 ] [ 4 ]
ConfusingJazz [ 7 ] [ 4 ]
Karl2177 [ 8 ] [ 4 ]
FelixOrion [ 9 ] [ 3 ]
ryseing [ 10 ] [ 3 ]
pxleyes [ 7 ] [ 3 ]
The Outsider [ 8 ] [ 3 ]
lonestar [ 5 ] [ 2 ]
zyxwvu4321 [ 9 ] [ 2 ]
timetokill [ 8 ] [ 2 ]
Mac the Knife [ 8 ] [ 2 ]
ag-my001 [ 7 ] [ 1 ]

Combined Standings said:
name [ tot_score ] [ w2_score ]
Monroeski [ 14 ] [ 4 ]
andycapps [ 13 ] [ 7 ]
Westonian [ 13 ] [ 6 ]
FloydtheFathead [ 13 ] [ 6 ]
perfectchaos007 [ 12 ] [ 6 ]
xeris [ 12 ] [ 5 ]
jhriad [ 11 ] [ 7 ]
TS-08 [ 11 ] [ 7 ]
chaosblade [ 11 ] [ 6 ]
Randolph Freelander [ 11 ] [ 6 ]
Frustrated_Grunt [ 11 ] [ 6 ]
AlteredBeast [ 11 ] [ 5 ]
KingGondo [ 11 ] [ 5 ]
Kacar [ 11 ] [ 4 ]
theprodigy [ 11 ] [ 4 ]
cdyhybrid [ 10 ] [ 5 ]
Ganhyun [ 10 ] [ 5 ]
sf2fanatic [ 10 ] [ 4 ]
cashman [ 10 ] [ 4 ]
ryseing [ 10 ] [ 3 ]
chicko1983 [ 9 ] [ 5 ]
bucknuticus [ 9 ] [ 5 ]
Dsyndrome [ 9 ] [ 4 ]
Battlezone [ 9 ] [ 4 ]
FelixOrion [ 9 ] [ 3 ]
zyxwvu4321 [ 9 ] [ 2 ]
MrJames [ 8 ] [ 5 ]
Fragamemnon [ 8 ] [ 4 ]
JCX [ 8 ] [ 4 ]
Karl2177 [ 8 ] [ 4 ]
The Outsider [ 8 ] [ 3 ]
timetokill [ 8 ] [ 2 ]
Mac the Knife [ 8 ] [ 2 ]
GoldenEye007 [ 7 ] [ 5 ]
ConfusingJazz [ 7 ] [ 4 ]
pxleyes [ 7 ] [ 3 ]
ag-my001 [ 7 ] [ 1 ]
StrikerObi [ 6 ] [ 0 ]
jjasper [ 6 ] [ 0 ]
Subitai [ 5 ] [ 5 ]
lonestar [ 5 ] [ 2 ]
Chris R [ 4 ] [ 0 ]
PhoenixDark [ 4 ] [ 0 ]

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
http://espn.go.com/college-football...ahoma-sooners-defensive-end-eric-striker-loss

Didn't watch any of the post-game stuff with OU and Tennessee, but I guess Butch Jones had some words with an OU player. OU seems to have behaved a bit boorish this week so Jones probably isn't wrong, even if he looks silly for getting mad at a player after a loss

Yeah there was another clip of an OU player giving someone in the crowd the finger. But as he does it you can hear him yell "back at you!" so I'm assuming he was getting flipped off. Sure it was hostile in that atmosphere haha, sports trash talk doesn't get to me though it is what it is

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Lemme guess. This was near the end of the game. Florida can ice the game by running out the clock if #14 doesn't score. #14 wants to get a td while his teammate #40 wants to make sure Florida seals the victory so he resorts to tackling his own selfish player to ensure victory. Go gata
Pretty much, though if he scored the TD they would have been up by 14 with somewhere around 10 seconds left in the game so it was over whether he was tackled or not (unless he just magically fumbled the ball without being touched or something before he scored).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom