• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football 2016 Championship Week: Of Meaningless Titles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today been pretty boring honestly. If VT scores here at maybe the ACC stays interesting. IDK why I should expect close games given today's matchups.

That WVU - Baylor game was pretty nuts. Close, too. Came down to a review on an onside kick and then a review on a fumble/forward pass situation.

Let's start comparing scores of wins/ losses between Wisconsin and osu... Going to get interesting if the badgers blow out Penn St tonight. Though you are probably right Urbz will make sure osu gets in.

I mean they beat them at Wisconsin that's enough don't care if it was close. Penn St though should go ahead of OSU if they win especially in a blowout.

Mrbob

It was an overtime win....would be one thing if OSU blew out Wisconsin but they didn't. Doesn't matter though because Urbz will get OSU in.

andycapps

I mean they beat them at Wisconsin that's enough don't care if it was close. Penn St though should go ahead of OSU if they win especially in a blowout.
Head to head shouldn't matter when they won your division and tOSU didn't. After all, if they destroy the team that beat you, that means something too.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Head to head shouldn't matter when they won your division and tOSU didn't. After all, if they destroy the team that beat you, that means something too.

And if Wisconsin had 3 losses? I'm guessing all of the sudden losses would matter again.

So with your logic had Flordia somehow beat Bama today they would go ahead of them.....right seems like the right decision. I will also point out that yes Wiscy won their division but they also went 1-2 in the other division and OSU went 3-0 in Wisconsins which in fact puts them 4th in the conference. Also OSU technically won the division they tied PSU and PSU gets the h2h to go CCG. Last part isn't relevant but still a thing.

andycapps

So with your logic had Flordia somehow beat Bama today they would go ahead of them.....right seems like the right decision.
No. It's best and most deserving. In that hypothetical situation a 3 loss team is not going to jump a 1 loss Bama team that also made it to the championship game. Bama would have dropped, probably to 4 but they still would have been in. Don't think a 3 loss conference winner would make it in a 4 team playoff.

In an 8 team playoff, I think every major conference winner should be in.

Ourobolus

Banned
Well we always seem to be a second-half team, but hopefully we don't fuck everything up beyond all repair before then...

They have 2 though.

Doesn't matter. Herbstreit told us in 2007 if you don't win your conference you shouldn't make it in over a team that did.

Herbstreit also actively campaigned for an Ohio state Michigan rematch in 2006. Then picked the gators to win. Guy is an idiot. I called him out on it when Gameday was on our lawn.

andycapps

How does the selection committee determine the best teams? Like this.

Ranking football teams is an art, not a science. Football is popular in some measure because the outcome of a game between reasonably matched teams is so often decided by emotional commitment, momentum, injuries and the “unexpected bounce of the ball.” In any ranking system, perfection or consensus is not possible and the physical impact of the game on student athletes prevents elaborate playoff systems of multiple games. For purposes of any four team playoff, the process will inevitably need to select the four best teams from among several with legitimate claims to participate.

Proposed Selection Process:
Establish a committee that will be instructed to place an emphasis on winning conference championships, strength of schedule and head-to-head competition when comparing teams with similar records and pedigree (treat final determination like a tie-breaker; apply specific guidelines).
The criteria to be provided to the selection committee must be aligned with the ideals of the commissioners, Presidents, athletic directors and coaches to honor regular season success while at the same time providing enough flexibility and discretion to select a non-champion or independent under circumstances where that particular non-champion or independent is unequivocally one of the four best teams in the country.

When circumstances at the margins indicate that teams are comparable, then the following criteria must be considered:
 Championships won
 Strength of schedule
 Head-to-head competition (if it occurred)
 Comparative outcomes of common opponents (without incenting margin of victory)

andycapps

Herbstreit also actively campaigned for an Ohio state Michigan rematch in 2006. Then picked the gators to win. Guy is an idiot. I called him out on it when Gameday was on our lawn.
Yes he is. He cost us a shot at the MNC in 2007 with his diatribe so I want to see his logic cost his team a shot this year.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I feel so bad for Penn State and James Franklin.

Just imagine, being that shitty down to your core in the pursuit of success in football and it still isn't enough.

If Wisconsin passes anybody it's OSU.

andycapps

I feel so bad for Penn State and James Franklin.

Just imagine, being that shitty down to your core in the pursuit of success in football and it still isn't enough.

If Wisconsin passes anybody it's OSU.
Probably should. The other teams in top 4 won their conference.

HeySeuss

Bama OSU and Clemson are a lock. The last spot is most likely Washington's but I think the committee might see Wisconsin's resume as a stronger team. Because let's face it, Washington's sos isn't exactly stellar and the committee has said that conference championships aren't the be all end all. We just assumed they meant the B1G championship.

If nothing else Wiscy will definitely jump Michigan to land at number 5

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I honestly don't know if you really think Wisconsin should be in or if younjustbhave a grudge against Kirk

Ohio state is the worst. They should be excluded from the playoffs just because urban has a stupid face.

What the hell happened to Watson? He used to be so good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom