• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football 2016 Championship Week: Of Meaningless Titles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
ESPN CollegeFootball ‏@ESPNCFB 1m1 minute ago
Alabama offensive coordinator Lane Kiffin has agreed to become FAU's next head football coach, per @ClowESPN and @McMurphyESPN.

Lets see how long it takes for this to be incorrect and they hire John L Smith instead.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
So you can now add "find an OC at the same time as Alabama" to LSU's list of impending damnation.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Dang, didn't expect Lane to settle for a program like FIU. He must have really wanted to be a head coach somewhere at any cost.
Hey now, don't sell him short, it's FAU, not FIU.

FAU's .396 all time win percentage MURDERS the .315 of FIU, and FAU's first season being 2001 gives a distinct and insurmountable advantage over FAU's 2002.

Hey now, don't sell him short, it's FAU, not FIU.

FAU's .396 all time win percentage MURDERS the .315 of FIU, and FAU's first season being 2001 gives a distinct and insurmountable advantage over FAU's 2002.

Lane has found the forbidden highway to the back alley programs of the nation

Kiffikins
Richt
Jimbo
Strong
Frost
McElwain?

all in Florida.

If you're talking FIU vs. FAU, well they're both shit and turd sandwiches. But FAU does have the much nicer stadium at least. And it's in Boca if you're into that rather than Miami.

andycapps

Kiffikins
Richt
Jimbo
Strong
Frost
McElwain?

all in Florida.

If you're talking FIU vs. FAU, well they're both shit and turd sandwiches. But FAU does have the much nicer stadium at least. And it's in Boca if you're into that rather than Miami.
Butch Davis is also down there now. So yeah, recruiting just got harder for the mid-tier programs in the state.

Lane is going to FAU? Okay then..

Please stop I can only get so erect.
Then imagine if you will a crazy rumor.. Donovan Peoples-Jones is looking to get out of Michigan and is looking at Ohio State and Florida State.

Now.. this is crazy.. yes.. it is a rumor (most likely from Tate Martell and another source so take it with a grain of salt obviously).. and may be nothing to it or even a possible smokescreen from DPJ and/or Michigan (I doubt it.. but it's possible)

But consider the fact that Kerry Coombs drove from Toledo to Detroit in a category 3 snowstorm to meet him and Urban and Zack Smith followed suit to meet him with his family just before the dead period last night apparently.. there must be enough interest on DPJ's part to get him to at least entertain the notion of not going to Michigan.

Things might get interesting..

for the record.. I still think he goes to Michigan and would be absolutely shocked if he went elsewhere. I think that Michigan ends up with him and Harris in the end.

Lane is going to FAU? Okay then..

Then imagine if you will a crazy rumor.. Donovan Peoples-Jones is looking to get out of Michigan and is looking at Ohio State and Florida State.

Now.. this is crazy.. yes.. it is a rumor (most likely from Tate Martell and another source so take it with a grain of salt obviously).. and may be nothing to it or even a possible smokescreen from DPJ and/or Michigan (I doubt it.. but it's possible)

But consider the fact that Kerry Coombs drove from Toledo to Detroit in a category 3 snowstorm to meet him and Urban and Zack Smith followed suit to meet him with his family just before the dead period last night apparently.. there must be enough interest on DPJ's part to get him to at least entertain the notion of not going to Michigan.

Things might get interesting..

for the record.. I still think he goes to Michigan and would be absolutely shocked if he went elsewhere. I think that Michigan ends up with him and Harris in the end.

If DPJ came to Columbus I would be in utter shock. That would be the largest win in recruiting in my opinon over Michigan in a very long time....but yeah I doubt that is happening. With Martells comments about the 2-3 5*'s coming for sure I started to think who they are. Okudah is one for sure obviously...but who else? Wilson/Akers/Holmes/DPJ are the choices. I just can't see DPJ or Akers at this point. Could you imagine getting them all....holy shit haha.

Edit: I guess he could have been talking about Wade as well since he is officially commiting somewhere this week.

tebunker

Banned
That and wanted a job in general since Bama wasn't going to keep him. Guess HC at a school like FAU pays better than OC somewhere like LSU.

Yeah It seems like there was a lot of scuttlebutt that he wasn't going to be back. Who knows.

Regardless, Dude wants to be a coach, Houston's comments show that he has a lot to prove to bigger programs.

He also gets to keep saying FAU 🙂

Nialrot

Kiffikins
Richt
Jimbo
Strong
Frost
McElwain?

all in Florida.

Lane might be able to bounce back if he can snag De'Andre Johnson (kicked off FSU roster) from the JuCo ranks as he recently visited.

Recruiting for UCF is going to get harder with all these new coaches... =(

If DPJ came to Columbus I would be in utter shock. That would be the largest win in recruiting in my opinon over Michigan in a very long time....but yeah I doubt that is happening. With Martells comments about the 2-3 5*'s coming for sure I started to think who they are. Okudah is one for sure obviously...but who else? Wilson/Akers/Holmes/DPJ are the choices. I just can't see DPJ or Akers at this point. Could you imagine getting them all....holy shit haha.

Edit: I guess he could have been talking about Wade as well since he is officially commiting somewhere this week.
That makes sense.. I would assume he's talking about
Holmes
Wilson
Wade (that's kind of cheating since he's already committed and you can't count him twice. But whatever I'm not complaining)

And DPJ as the 50/50 shot..

If he isn't counting Wade then maybe it is Akers.. but I doubt it. He's going to LSU to be the next Fournette (that's a nice one two punch with him and Derrius Guice). Columbus is too far for him...

DPJ announces Thursday on a local ESPN radio channel. Now how sick would it be for him to go on a local Detroit radio show and him to announce "psych I'm going to Ohio State"

That shit would be amazing.

Edit: he's announcing on ESPN U.. I thought he was announcing on a local radio show.

That makes sense.. I would assume he's talking about
Holmes
Wilson
Wade (that's kind of cheating since he's already committed and you can't count him twice. But whatever I'm not complaining)

And DPJ as the 50/50 shot..

If he isn't counting Wade then maybe it is Akers.. but I doubt it. He's going to LSU to be the next Fournette (that's a nice one two punch with him and Derrius Guice). Columbus is too far for him...

DPJ announces Thursday on a local ESPN radio channel. Now how sick would it be for him to go on a local Detroit radio show and him to announce "psych I'm going to Ohio State"

That shit would be amazing.

Edit: he's announcing on ESPN U.. I thought he was announcing on a local radio show.

Yeah I can't at this point figure out who is coming and who isn't. I feel like 5-6 people at this point could or couldn't. Shit on top of the ones you mention we are still in the running for Sheffield....Harris....Bolden and Tufele. Doubt Bolden comes but hey 3 of his teammates are so who knows? This class already is incredible but any 3-5 of those guys and it is hands down the best class we have had ever...at least in star power before actually playing.

So you can now add "find an OC at the same time as Alabama" to LSU's list of impending damnation.

Bruh we're gonna be okay. Just fine. No worries. Oregeron got this.

Z93uwT.gif

Yeah I can't at this point figure out who is coming and who isn't. I feel like 5-6 people at this point could or couldn't. Shit on top of the ones you mention we are still in the running for Sheffield....Harris....Bolden and Tufele. Doubt Bolden comes but hey 3 of his teammates are so who knows? This class already is incredible but any 3-5 of those guys and it is hands down the best class we have had ever...at least in star power before actually playing.
If Holmes joins then we are done at DB and Sheffield will be out.. there would be absolutely no space at DB with all of the bodies we have committing in.

Harris is a possibility still.. he seems to be the forgotten man since Grimes and Lindsay committed.

Tufele should we get Wilson I would think he stays home back in Utah. If he commits, then we will probably lose Cage in the end

Bubba seems to be a lock at USCw since they look like they got their shit together thanks to Darnold..

It was inevitable that Lane would take a mid-major job at some point in the near future. I know some people had him pegged to take over his alma mater Fresno State, but FAU is probably a decent place for him to try again. Good recruiting basin, not too much media presence, low expectations.

If he wins and stays out of trouble I'd expect him back in either the Pac-12 or SEC within 3 years.

If Holmes joins then we are done at DB and Sheffield will be out.. there would be absolutely no space at DB with all of the bodies we have committing in.

Harris is a possibility still.. he seems to be the forgotten man since Grimes and Lindsay committed.

Tufele should we get Wilson I would think he stays home back in Utah. If he commits, then we will probably lose Cage in the end

Bubba seems to be a lock at USCw since they look like they got their shit together thanks to Darnold..

You make good points. I just think their is so much smoke with almost all of these guys at the moment I can't really tell who is going where. Shit 247 even now still thinks Wade is a Bama lock. For Harris if DPJ doesn't come which again I doubt then I think that he will if we have room that dude is underrated in my opinion at least from watching some of his highlights. I can only imagine 4 wide with Lindsey/Grimes/DPJ and Mack....oh my god.....

You make good points. I just think their is so much smoke with almost all of these guys at the moment I can't really tell who is going where. Shit 247 even now still thinks Wade is a Bama lock. For Harris if DPJ doesn't come which again I doubt then I think that he will if we have room that dude is underrated in my opinion at least from watching some of his highlights. I can only imagine 4 wide with Lindsey/Grimes/DPJ and Mack....oh my god.....
Wade is a lock for Ohio State.. he's announcing today on twitter.. There was to be a meet-up with his family between them and Saban and it didn't happen as well as Saban having another meeting with him this week and that didn't go down since Nick seems to have considered the game is up for them.

The problem with Harris is that with addition of Grimes and Lindsey.. we still have Brown, Victor and Mack and other players.. we are packed at WR.

If Lane struggles to be successful at FAU (and he likely will), how does this effect his search for a better HC job in the future?

I'm hoping it'll be enough for administrations to see him just take it all in stride. Guy's got a hell of a football mind, and I'd like to see him succeed somewhere.

andycapps

If Lane struggles to be successful at FAU (and he likely will), how does this effect his search for a better HC job in the future?

I'm hoping it'll be enough for administrations to see him just take it all in stride. Guy's got a hell of a football mind, and I'd like to see him succeed somewhere.
I don't know that I'd say his odds of succeeding are likely at FAU. Lot of competition in Florida and his past performances as a head coach have been unsuccessful. I think this is his time to prove that he has changed, though.

He probably goes back to being an offensive coordinator if he fails at FAU. His track record as OC under an elite college coach is pretty good.

I don't know that I'd say his odds of succeeding are likely at FAU. Lot of competition in Florida and his past performances as a head coach have been unsuccessful. I think this is his time to prove that he has changed, though.

I said odds are he'd struggle lol.

Definitely a tough situation for him.

cdyhybrid

My only guess is he hates Kelly because nearly every scout on the planet said "go the fuck back to school young man."
Or he thinks ND will be crappy again next season and that staying to play on a crappy team won't help his draft stock.

Maybe some team takes a late round flyer on him like Dak Prescott.

Or he thinks ND will be crappy again next season and that staying to play on a crappy team won't help his draft stock.

Maybe some team takes a late round flyer on him like Dak Prescott.

I think most people are starting to realize that the dak sensation is a product of the Dallas elite line.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Can't believe Fisher finally got the axe. I thought he would die on their sideline.

Also can't believe this was only his 5th season there.

ryan-ts

Man the michigan meltdown if Harbs takes that job. I dont think it would happen, but it would be great,

It's bologne. Rumours are going to pop up near the end of every NFL season until Harbaugh retires. I guess that's what happens when you have the best coach in football.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
It's bologne. Rumours are going to pop up near the end of every NFL season until Harbaugh retires. I guess that's what happens when you have the best coach in football.
Why are you bringing Orgeron into the discussion?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom