• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football 2016 Championship Week: Of Meaningless Titles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
CzYCYJGXgAACq0j.jpg

Sure nothing bad will happen

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Remember, whenever we win bowl games against traditional powers, it's just that they are disinterested. When we snag our first headman ever it's either a down year or the headman is irrelevant
Man, you guys have such a chip on your shoulder... people said the same shit when Ingram and Henry won it. It's not some grand anti-Louisville conspiracy.

Source: Charlie Strong expected to be next coach at South Florida. Sides closing in on a 5-year contract.

Maaaan Florida gonna have a ton of strong recruiters in state now

Harris flip is looking likely.. I didn't think Moses would flip though if it happens.. damn.. it's still a great class for Bama as usual.. but still.

Remember, whenever we win bowl games against traditional powers, it's just that they are disinterested. When we snag our first headman ever it's either a down year or the headman is irrelevant
Man.. you have a persecution complex.. smile.. enjoy the moment. It's like every other post everyone is out to get Louisville.

It was a good night for Lamar and Louisville.. Enjoy it.. it's always nice to have a Heisman winner.. but the choices sucked overall sans Lamar who has had it locked up since the Florida State game. Dede and Baker get an invite (voters pls)

Sorry, I'm having a real hard time feeling sorry for a couple of 5 star recruits potentially flipping from Bama. They'll be just fine and probably still be #1 in recruiting rating after those flips are taken into account.
Uh.. not if they lose both Harris and Moses as well as not being able to flip Wade.. Ohio State will be able to take the top spot from them (except on Rivals since they weigh recruits differently than everyone else)

Man if Ed steals Moses back from Nick, gets Akers (he should be able to. I think Akers will go to LSU over Ohio State and the others), and Wilson..

That's pretty good work on his part.

andycapps

This article about why Kiffin hasn't gotten another head coaching job is pretty scathing, but may be close to the mark.

Some quotes below.

The fact is Kiffin wants to be a head coach yet nobody has hired him. That’s strange when you consider his resume:

Two seasons as an NFL head coach, beginning in 2007 when Al Davis, the late Oakland Raiders’ owner, made him the youngest head coach in the history of the league.
Five seasons as a head coach of a big-time program – one at Tennessee followed by four at Southern Cal. That includes a 10-2 season in 2011 despite the Trojans having limited scholarships due to violations committed under Pete Carroll.
In three seasons under Kiffin, Alabama’s offense has become one of the most explosive in college football, despite having to replace the starting quarterback all three seasons with two career backups (Blake Sims and Jake Coker) and a true freshman (Jalen Hurts).
In Kiffin’s three seasons, the Crimson Tide is 39-3, including a current winning streak of 25 games. Alabama has made the College Football Playoff for the third straight time, and quite possibly wouldn’t have made it any of those three times without Kiffin tailoring the offense to fit the quarterbacks.
Kiffin also has the unequivocal endorsement of Saban.

So …

What’s wrong with this picture?

But there’s another reason athletic directors and university presidents haven’t been beating down Sexton’s door for Kiffin. That reason is Lane Kiffin himself.

Or at least the public perception of Lane Kiffin. Administrators doing their due diligence still haven’t forgotten the highlight reel of embarrassing Lane Kiffin moments. There were those verbal digs at Urban Meyer. Remember this one, shortly after he got the Tennessee job?

“I’m really looking forward to embracing some of the great traditions at the University of Tennessee … the Vol Walk, running through the T, and singing Rocky Top all night after we beat Florida next year. It will be a blast.”

Or the one that led to a reprimand by then SEC commissioner Mike Slive because he incorrectly accused Meyer of a recruiting violation – and committed a violation in the process by naming the recruit, Nu’Keese Richardson.

“I love the fact that Urban had to cheat and still didn’t get him,”

andycapps

FloydtheFathead said:
Uh.. not if they lose both Harris and Moses as well as not being able to flip Wade.. Ohio State will be able to take the top spot from them (except on Rivals since they weigh recruits differently than everyone else)

Man if Ed steals Moses back from Nick, gets Akers (he should be able to. I think Akers will go to LSU over Ohio State and the others), and Wilson..

That's pretty good work on his part.

Pretty sure that Bama is in on a bunch of 5 stars that will be signing on NSD though. Either way if they're #1 or a close 2 I don't think their program is going to fall apart. How many years #1 in a row now? 6 or 7?

O has always been a good recruiter. Now doing it within the rules is another thing entirely but that's what you sign up for when you bring in da Coach O mmmhmmm.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Does Bama renew Kiffin's contract if he doesn't get a HC position, or will he just be out of a job? I've seen some mention there weren't plans to keep him.

I hope the rumors are true at Drew Mehringer is out at Rutgers to be a WR Coach at Texas.

That's more up his alley, dude did not have enough experience to be an OC at the Power 5 level.

Eight OCs in eight years is a problem...

It is, but be honest, Mehringer wasn't qualified to be a P5 OC.

If he was an OC in the MAC or AAC for 2-3 years I wouldn't have been as pissed when he was hired.

Plus to be fair, if the Fridge was available for Flood's first year, he would've been here for his entire tenure. So it would be 8 OCs in 8 years.

Ash just needs to find someone who wants to run this Power Spread because you pretty much told every person on the team you aren't what we need, and you've been recruiting for that system for an entire year, so you can't just flip flop on it.

Sulik2

Does Bama renew Kiffin's contract if he doesn't get a HC position, or will he just be out of a job? I've seen some mention there weren't plans to keep him.

They would be idiots to not keep him. He clearly doesn't have the temperament and skills to be a head coach, but he is a pretty fantastic OC.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
They would be idiots to not keep him. He clearly doesn't have the temperament and skills to be a head coach, but he is a pretty fantastic OC.

Supposedly he doesn't see eye to eye with Saban. And I don't know that he's done that great of a job, he helped transition Bama to new, modern offense but I'm not convinced he's gotten everything out of the players that he could. It feels like at times Kiffin isn't out-coaching the opposition, just out-talenting them. Offense averaged a merely decent 33 points per game this year despite probably having the most talented set of skill players across the board in the decade Saban has been there while playing against a down SEC.

Supposedly he doesn't see eye to eye with Saban. And I don't know that he's done that great of a job, he helped transition Bama to new, modern offense but I'm not convinced he's gotten everything out of the players that he could. It feels like at times Kiffin isn't out-coaching the opposition, just out-talenting them. Offense averaged a merely decent 33 points per game this year despite probably having the most talented set of skill players across the board in the decade Saban has been there while playing against a down SEC.

Starting a TF QB will do that. Kiffin's lead us to 3 straight SEC titles and playoff appearances. We put up 45 points in a title game victory with him. I hate that he makes things difficult by not leaning on the run more, but he's had a hand in our success the last three seasons.

And Roll Tide to the news about Dylan Moses 😊

Wait what? Did he actually punt at all?

He may have during our cupcake game, but I can't remember other than that. Only remember seeing him punt in warmups.

Oh, and he totally murdered a guy on kickoff during the Texas A&M game, so there's that. He's been on the field as everything but a LB actually.

Davis did get hurt during fall camp, so he'll likely redshirt.

So.. Buckeye-GAF.. take a deep breathe.. are you ready..

Wiltfong states that Holmes to Ohio State is looking likely.

Holmes + Wade (who Wiltfong says is going to stay with Ohio State)+ Okudah + Amir Riep

Throw it on them.... I dare you

Now with Pete Werner.. we just need Marvin Wilson and all my dreams can come true.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom