• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football 2017 Offseason: We're Not a Football School Anyway

Heres the top 8 winningest teams of all time. These are your blue bloods in college football

1 Michigan 915
2 Texas 884
3 Notre Dame 882
4 Nebraska 881
5 Ohio State 863
6 (T) Oklahoma 850
6 (T) Alabama 850
8 Penn State 849

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Heres the top 8 winningest teams of all time. These are your blue bloods in college football

1 Michigan 915
2 Texas 884
3 Notre Dame 882
4 Nebraska 881
5 Ohio State 863
6 (T) Oklahoma 850
6 (T) Alabama 850
8 Penn State 849

I was wondering why you stopped the list before getting to USC, but then I noticed that getting down to them at 10 would mean including Tennessee at 9, so I'll allow it.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion

1 Michigan 915
2 Texas 884
3 Notre Dame 882
4 Nebraska 881
5 Alabama 879
6 Ohio State 863
7 Oklahoma 850
8 Penn State 849

FTFY

Also, Michigan lost their blue blood status by not winning a (rightful) national championship in decades, cause jeebus knows that everyone's schedules over the years aren't even to each other, so going off of just win totals doesn't mean alot.

FTFY

Also, Michigan lost their blue blood status by not winning a (rightful) national championship in decades, cause jeebus knows that everyone's schedules over the years aren't even to each other, so going off of just win totals doesn't mean alot.

Nebraska also has not done shit in decades. And USC is a blue blood.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Just heard an NPR report on the weather down south. Stay safe Bama-GAF and those nearby.

I posted about the weather we got Monday where I live. It was fucking crazy.

We're supposed to get the same thing again this afternoon in GA. I'm hoping it passes us by somehow.

Lonestar

Nebraska won 3 out of 4 in the mid 90s. Sure, that's ancient history to you kids, but it's basically yesterday afternoon to us old timers.

They're on the cusp, but I'll allow it. Being a dominant team for 3 out of 4 year period is a decent chip to have.

Basically, if I haven't seen them win one in my lifetime, maybe they are in the white dwarf stage of their timeline.

So that puts Penn State* back out.

Just heard an NPR report on the weather down south. Stay safe Bama-GAF and those nearby.

Yeah, for an hour I didn't plan on going into work. But here I am, dumbass that I am. Oh sure, it's nice, sunny and clear now, but I'm sure inside 3 hours I'll be dead from a supercell tornado

The undeniable best rankings system is out and once again proves it is the best metric to judge teams by

C8q0_BwXsAEHkEU.jpg

jfkgoblue

I get accused of the hot take with the generally accepted definition of blue blood, people proceed to say Michigan and Nebraska are not blue bloods... never change guys.

Also Michigan won a NC in 1997, but you knew that and are just trolling.

Inb4 Bucknuticus says "half" like anyone gives a shit about the coaches poll outside of OSU and Nebraska fans in relation to that single year.

I get accused of the hot take with the generally accepted definition of blue blood, people proceed to say Michigan and Nebraska are not blue bloods... never change guys.

Inb4 Bucknuticus says "half" like anyone gives a shit about the coaches poll outside of OSU and Nebraska fans in relation to that single year.

I'm guessing, by this logic, that you recognize USC as the true National Champion in 2003.

I mean UNL has more bowl wins, more conf titles, and more modern day football championships

jfkgoblue

I'm guessing, by this logic, that you recognize USC as the true National Champion in 2003.
Different era, there was no BCS back then only the bowl alliance, so by your logic no Big Ten or PAC 10 champ could be the NC during the BA years. The simple truth is that there were only 2 major polls back then, the AP and the Coaches, the AP was always the more respected of the two.

And that year was especially bad with Scott Frost using the coaches respect for Osbourne for them to jump Michigan in the poll because "he's retiring", not to mention Fulmer putting Michigan 4th because Woodson won the Heisman over Manning. It was a purposeful stunt to take away the coaches top spot because any higher and Michigan tops both.

Lonestar

Nebraska: 3 out of 4 year National Champions
Michigan: one year wonder

Nebraska is the 1997 National Champions, and they have the Crystal FootBall to prove it. Does Michigan?

Different era, there was no BCS back then only the bowl alliance, so by your logic no Big Ten or PAC 10 champ could be the NC during the BA years. The simple truth is that there were only 2 major polls back then, the AP and the Coaches, the AP was always the more respected of the two.

And that year was especially bad with Scott Frost using the coaches respect for Osbourne for them to jump Michigan in the poll because "he's retiring", not to mention Fulmer putting Michigan 4th because Woodson won the Heisman over Manning. It was a purposeful stunt to take away the coaches top spot because any higher and Michigan tops both.

Hold on, let me understand this correctly.

The Coaches became more respected than the AP based on the addition of an algorithm that had to be modified on an annual basis due to the fact that it was doing a piss poor job ranking the teams accurately.

For the record, while we're claiming fake national championships (Michigan, Auburn), let me remind the thread that my alma mater has never lost a college football game.

andycapps

For the record, while we're claiming fake national championships (Michigan, Auburn), let me remind the thread that my alma mater has never lost a college football game.
If we're claiming split national championships I'd like to submit 4 more in addition to the two consensus championships.

jfkgoblue

Hold on, let me understand this correctly.

The Coaches became more respected than the AP based on the addition of an algorithm that had to be modified on an annual basis due to the fact that it was doing a piss poor job ranking the teams accurately.

The coaches has never been more respected than the AP. The AP left the BCS when fans of Cal started threatening pollsters over "blueblood favoritism" by putting Texas closer and thus ended up putting Texas in the Rose Bowl over Cal due to Texas's higher computer polls . The coaches didn't have this problem because unlike the AP, the coaches polls are initally confidential, while each media pollster has their vote made public immediately. After this fiasco, the AP decided to leave the BCS due to requests from its voters.

And it wasn't very kind to the BCS on its way out, and it said in its "cease and desist" letter to the BCS:
The letter said the B.C.S. had "damaged and continues to damage A.P.'s reputation for honesty and integrity in its news accounts through the forced association of the A.P. poll with the B.C.S. rankings."
And the real reason they told the BCS to fuck off
The A.P.'s letter also said that to the extent the public did not fully understand the relationship between the B.C.S. and the A.P., any animosity toward the B.C.S. "may get transferred to A.P." and the "independent reputation of the A.P. poll is lost."

Also the only reason the coaches gave LSU the 2003 NC was because it was contractually obligated to award the top spot to the BCS title game winner. (they also ranked USC #1 going into the Bowl games)

So where is this "coaches became more respected" coming from?

jfkgoblue

You recognize the AP National Champ in 1997 but you do not in 2003. I understand that you're doing it because it's beneficial to you, but that doesn't mean I'm not going to point it out.

You did not read what I wrote, the coaches in 2003 also chose USC, but were contractually obligated to give it to LSU, I recognize the BCS champion that year(which the AP and the coaches was a part of btw), because it was a set poll that was agreed upon by all the conferences as the official "champion". In 1997, this was simply not the case. It has nothing to do with me respecting the coaches poll more at that point.

You did not read what I wrote, the coaches in 2003 also chose USC, but were contractually obligated to give it to LSU, I recognize the BCS champion that year(which the AP and the coaches was a part of btw), because it was a set poll that was agreed upon by all the conferences as the official "champion". In 1997, this was simply not the case. It has nothing to do with me respecting the coaches poll more at that point.

But it wasn't agreed upon by your beloved AP voters, and you only take their opinion when it comes to recognizing your national champion.

jfkgoblue

��

Yes, we get it, the Big west is poop.
But it wasn't agreed upon by your beloved AP voters, and you only take their opinion when it comes to recognizing your national champion.

What does this even mean? The AP was part of the formula that gave LSU the title even. It wasn't just another poll, it was a compilation of the 2 polls and some computer rankings . You are either trolling or just being dense.

I really don't understand why non-OSU fans love to troll Michigan fans here so much.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Yes, we get it, the Big west is poop.

What does this even mean? The AP was part of the formula that gave LSU the title even. It wasn't just another poll, it was a compilation of the 2 polls and some computer rankings . You are either trolling or just being dense.

I really don't understand why non-OSU fans love to troll Michigan fans here so much.
Jealousy, brah. They hate us 'cause they ain't us.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
In non blueblood football program news, former Duke QB Thomas Sirk has transferred to ECU to reunite with former Duke OC and current Pirate head coach Scottie Montgomery.

I felt bad for Sirk as I don't think we got to see how good he could have been since his achilles tendons kept snapping. The one season he was healthy Duke won 8 (should have been 9) games and got their first bowl win in 50 years. Sirk re-injured his tendon in spring practice 2016 but was making excellent progress and was hoping to return as the starter for last season. Unfortunately he pushed it and reinjured it again about 2 weeks before the season again. He was given a 6th year medical hardship eligibility but he wasn't getting the starting job back from Daniel Jones barring injury. Since he graduated from Duke this past fall, there was no reason for him to stay.

I just hope he gets to play one more season with ECU with no health injuries and I hope he helps them win.

Just don't expect him to connect on many passes over 20 yards.

Top Bottom