• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football 2017 Offseason: We're Not a Football School Anyway

Falchion

Jarrett is looking fantastic for Auburn in the blue and white game so far. So excited about this season with him. Also we got a baby race during halftime which was amazing.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
GT's #1 QB on the presumed depth chart Matthew Jordan is now out until fall. Hurt his foot and won't be doing anything else during Spring.

This complicates things as I wasn't 100% sure he was gonna keep his starter role as it is. Now it feels like this just opens up the door for more of a QB controversy.

https://twitter.com/BleacherReport/status/851541444187758592

giphy.gif

GT's #1 QB on the presumed depth chart Matthew Jordan is now out until fall. Hurt his foot and won't be doing anything else during Spring.

This complicates things as I wasn't 100% sure he was gonna keep his starter role as it is. Now it feels like this just opens up the door for more of a QB controversy.

First one to throw a forward pass gets benched.

cdyhybrid

Washington has extended the contract of head coach Chris Petersen through the 2023 season, according to a source. The new deal gives Petersen what is believed to be the richest contract in the Pac-12.

Petersen’s new deal extends him three additional seasons and has an average compensation of $4.875 million throughout the deal. That marks a significant raise, as Petersen was slated to make $4.0 million in the final two years of his previous deal. Petersen hasn’t shown any interest in other collegiate or NFL jobs, but this latest extension further solidifies that his preference is to stay in Seattle for the long haul.

https://www.si.com/college-football/2017/04/10/washington-huskies-chris-petersen-contract-extension

Hope they gave the assistants raises too.

andycapps

So Thomas is finally gone. Feel like he's been there a decade. Feel like QB in triple option is fairly irrelevant. They just have to know when to keep, hand off, or pitch. And then every 10 plays or so you throw a pass because the defense has 9 in the box or it's 3rd and long.

I'm sure they'll find someone they can use to fill that role.

Oh you.

So Thomas is finally gone. Feel like he's been there a decade. Feel like QB in triple option is fairly irrelevant. They just have to know when to keep, hand off, or pitch. And then every 10 plays or so you throw a pass because the defense has 9 in the box or it's 3rd and long.

Funny, all I ever see the QB do in their offense is run for his life behind the line of scrimmage. Probably because cut blocking generally doesn't work on 5 star d-linemen.

Vanillalite

There's a definite skill difference in terms of athletic ability. Tevin Washington doesn't get us to the Orange Bowl and make the Sportscenter highlight real with the juke on Miss St.

Think Thomas will be missed more after the fact then while he was there.

Bigger issue is guys who don't have playing experience behind Jordan are more likely to miss reads and create fumbles.

andycapps

There's a definite skill difference in terms of athletic ability. Tevin Washington doesn't get us to the Orange Bowl and make the Sportscenter highlight real with the juke on Miss St.

Think Thomas will be missed more after the fact then while he was there.

Bigger issue is guys who don't have playing experience behind Jordan are more likely to miss reads and create fumbles.

Sometimes players and coaches aren't fully appreciated until after they're gone.

True about the reads and missed pitches or handoffs. That does take repetitions and practice.

Vanillalite

On another note I'm 50/50 that the GT Tenn game is gonna happen without issues.

Everyone has known for a while now the new stadium in Atlanta is behind schedule (whether they admit it or not). I just haven't figured out what the alternative is for this.

andycapps

On another note I'm 50/50 that the GT Tenn game is gonna happen without issues.

Everyone has known for a while now the new stadium in Atlanta is behind schedule (whether they admit it or not). I just haven't figured out what the alternative is for this.
They'll have it somewhere. And yeah, it's behind again. Things will get interesting for Atlanta United if their games there get moved because I'm assuming that GT will have to convert the field back for football.

I can't find the link because it was on Twitter and to some local paper, but apparently there is some steam building towards a possible C-USA/Sun Belt merger/realignment because the travel budgets for both conferences are so high right now that neither league can sustain it on their current revenue.

NC law makers introduce bill that make UNC and NC St leave the ACC if the ACC boycotts the state again

If only there was an easier way to solve these problems. OH WELL

Vanillalite

So biggest changes to hit CFB since the playoffs just passed.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/19157689/ncaa-division-council-passes-proposal-overhauling-college-football-recruiting-rules

After almost five years of debate and numerous proposals that were adjusted or scrapped entirely, college football recruiting has been reformed.

The NCAA Division I Council on Friday passed Proposal No. 2016-116, a comprehensive package of rule changes developed in response to an order from the NCAA Division I board of directors -- the university presidents and chancellors who grew weary of the inefficiencies that have long plagued recruiting.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
They actually got all new lockers that cost $10k a piece. Been trying to figure out how some tvs cost 10k until i saw the article lol

C9ZkqY3XcAAf4Tx.jpg
I was going to say, those are ridiculously gaudy, but then again, it's Texas, so it all makes sense.

ag-my001

With the turnover during the Strong days, not having a permanent nameplate made sense. Are they expecting lots of "team violations" under Herman?

Top Bottom