• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football 2017 Offseason: We're Not a Football School Anyway

Draxal

I'm kinda surprised Texas is the most hated state based off that GAF straw poll. We're also the most recognizable state on the map so I guess it evens out.

Basically, people knew up to four states (even Illinois couldn't get on that list), but if you got past Texas, Alabama and Mississippi got hammered.

Basically, people knew up to four states (even Illinois couldn't get on that list), but if you got past Texas, Alabama and Mississippi got hammered.

Alabama and Mississippi are more alike than they want to admit. They both clearly begged Florida and Louisiana, respectively, to give them just a sliver of coastline when they were clearly meant to be inland states. Also they are basically a reflection of eachother over the Alabama/Mississippi border

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Main difference between Miss and Alabama, is Birmingham/Huntsville/Mobile. But yeah, it's generally pretty bad.

I too wonder if foreigners ever actually meet any of the people deserving of this criticism, because it's doubtful those people have the money or desire to actually visit their countries.

19243193_634280920098693_101851986876800919_o.jpg

Kevtones

Wtf Oregon just got another crazy good recruit. Up to 6th nationally in the rankings. Looking good to land another top forty by week's end. Something in the water with Taggart's recruiting.

Piggus

Wtf Oregon just got another crazy good recruit. Up to 6th nationally in the rankings. Looking good to land another top forty by week's end. Something in the water with Taggart's recruiting.

He's been killing it on the recruiting trail. Let's hope it pays off.

cdyhybrid

Well, that's one way to put it I guess. Although I wouldn't be too happy with soggy $100 bills.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member

Meanwhile, Tech picked up 10 commits in the last 8 days with a grand total of 3 P5 offers that weren't Tech itself.

We're coming for ALL your G5 recruits!

Welp, we've had a good run. 62 in the recruiting rankings for 2018. :(

Last time we were about this low, we had like 6 or 7 commits compared to the 3 or 4 we have now.

We finished first.

Don't think we get there this time, but we're not finishing worse than 3rd unless the team somehow collapses this season, and even then…

Last time we were about this low, we had like 6 or 7 commits compared to the 3 or 4 we have now.

We finished first.

Don't think we get there this time, but we're not finishing worse than 3rd unless the team somehow collapses this season, and even then…
Nick sabans era is ending and everyone knows it. Tua will be alabamas coach in waiting.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Not bad. Last year all of UTEP's recruits only had offers from UTEP.

At least most of the guys we're getting are talking about being in contact with other P5 schools, so the guess is that we're raiding the second tier of players that other P5 schools are going to start to offer once they miss out on the top tier, with the hope that us getting in so early makes their commitments stick once other teams come calling.

If that's the case, it's probably not a bad strategy for this particular year, coming off a losing season with a 5th year hot-seat head coach. Don't have much to sell the big time recruits until we hopefully start winning some games this fall.

andycapps

Who would have thought that an Auburn offensive lineman would have a hard time transitioning to a pro offense?

The lack of overlap in technique from the college game to the pros is becoming an increasingly common issue for scouts and evaluators, making a position that’s traditionally been considered a relatively safe bet much trickier to hit on in the draft. “Sometimes you go through 80 plays [on a college tape] and only eight of them are truly gradable, where they’re at the point of contact and they’re actually doing something you’re going to ask them to do,” 49ers head coach Kyle Shanahan said at the combine in February.

“A lot of the [spread offense] offensive linemen, they’re not necessarily asked to run off the ball, and [set] a guy up, and try to move [a big defensive end] three yards down the field,” Titans general manager Jon Robinson said in 2016. “They’re kind of asked to just ‘zone and occupy,’ and let the backs cut off the blocks. So you really have to dig through those plays where you can really see him unroll his hips, and dig his cleats in, and really get moving.”

Good read. It's interesting to note the section about the Cardinals not playing a first round pick their entire rookie year to better learn the system. How many "busts" are there out there who were thrown to the wolves? How many QBs would benefit from even one year on the bench?

My guess? All of them.

Worked pretty well for Carson in Cincy. They sat him all first year, they knew the team was going to be garbage either way.

Ash does nothing to instill me with the belief he can do anything successful.

He's not a good fit for this area of the country. He needs to go back to the cornfields of Iowa.

Yeah, he doesn't sweat the small details at all. I know on the message boards,that a lot of posters like to excuse the fact that Ash doesn't sweat the small details, but to me, it's very telling. Simple things like knowing how to dress when speaking to a room full of coaches, or how to handle a media interview are vital to your job. Image is how you recruit, and right now, Ash doesn't have much of a positive image. What he does have to his credit is '78-0'.

In any case, I think the school will keep Ash around till 2020 (when the B1G payout kicks in) because I doubt he's going to be the off the field disaster Flood was, and I'm positive Pikiell is going to bring b-ball back, so the pressure on the school for a bad football team will be much less, because at least there will be b-ball to fall back on.

Man... these post-Schiano coaches are really making me miss Schiano.

andycapps

Good read. It's interesting to note the section about the Cardinals not playing a first round pick their entire rookie year to better learn the system. How many "busts" are there out there who were thrown to the wolves? How many QBs would benefit from even one year on the bench?

My guess? All of them.
All of them. But there's teams out there so desperate for improvement (because if they don't get it this year they're getting fired) that they're willing to start a rookie and potentially set their confidence back dramatically. Does it work sometimes, sure sometimes, but almost every rookie would benefit from a year learning what they're supposed to do. Playbooks are so much more complex in the pros.

this is one of the big selling poitns Mike Riley and company are using to get recruits (with killer success right now):

"We'll teach you to actually play professional with pro football techniques at Nebraska."

And that's why coaches, former pros and pro execs etc are sending their kids to Nebraska.

But I thought the SEC was the NFL prep conference. Nebraska isn't SEC

Top Bottom