• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football 2017 Offseason: We're Not a Football School Anyway

cdyhybrid

h6923PW.png

Only 1-1 against Dabo, if we're using coaches' records and all.

Got nothing but love for Dabo. (Mostly)

Was only using Saban's vs. schools, but that's just because the article I pulled that data from was about his record vs. the SEC in general.

He's, what, 1-1 with Dabo, 2-2 with Urban Meyer? 0-1 vs. FSU from 2007 (before Jimbo was the HC), which he could even up this year. That's an interesting take on how even some of the top coaches in CFB are (though Dabo is 2-0 against Urban, I think).

Dsyndrome

Where did that come from? Totally unexpected, haven't seen any speculation online or heard anything from my brothers who went there.

El_Chino

Just read on 247 that Stoops had been diagnosed with a heart condition last month and that influenced his decision.

Best wishes to him.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
houstonNuttPower-2.jpg

"Well, I just happen to be in the neighborhood, and heard there might be an opening here at this fine Universutity of Oakleeeeeehoma"

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Deadspin - Cal Is Fucked Because Of Its Stupid Stadium Deal

The debt financing plan relies on athletics revenues going up, which is not encouraging given that ticket sales declined next year, the TV rights bubble might be popping, and the football team does not look like it will be worth a damn in the foreseeable future. Austerity measures have been broached before, and in 2010 Cal Athletics almost lost five teams, including its iconic rugby team. Last-ditch donor efforts saved those teams, but the budget is still mired in horrifying amounts of debt. The program ran a $22 million deficit last year, and a new apparel deal and a new naming rights deal for Memorial Stadium’s field will only take small chunks out of that gap. A new task force was formed by the school in August 2016 to find solutions to the budget crisis, and as co-chair Robert O’Donnell told Bloomberg, “Everything is on the table.”

As the task force made clear, cutting sports might save money, but could also dry up the donor well that the school relies on to pay teachers.

If the scope of the program were reduced, what would be the potential savings? To bound the problem, we received estimates that reducing the number of intercollegiate sports from 30 to the NCAA minimum of 14 might produce an initial annual savings on the order of $9- 12 million. In addition, total IA annual capital spending of $7-8 million might decline to $3-4 million. Substantial uncertainty surrounds both of these estimates.

Set against these savings is the effect that reducing the number of sports would likely have on philanthropy, not only to IA but also to the entire campus. Development staff estimates that the initial annual impact could be on the order of $25 million
. While this estimate is consistent with that made in the 2010 report, this number, like the estimated cost savings from reducing sports, is subject to great uncertainty. Notwithstanding this uncertainty, any recommendation must consider the net cost of scope savings after taking into account the potential reduction in philanthropy.

The task force noted that cuts and changes must be made but stopped just short of any prescriptions. Tighter budgetary control is a given, but the school simply owes too much money to avoid taking any drastic measures. The other shoe will drop soon for Cal, and it’s not going to be pretty when it does.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Kingsbury statement on Stoops -
Bob Stoops is one of the greatest college football coaches to ever walk the sideline. It was an honor to play and coach against him. I wish him nothing but the best in his future endeavors and golf game.

I think Lincoln Riley is ready, but holy shit, week 2 is gonna be a hell of a test.
Just a little toughie..

But I think he can do it (not win.. but be head coach)

Pretty sure Oklahoma State, Kansas State and West Virginia will have something to say about that..

..I'd add Kansas but that is just being mean. ;)
Oklahoma State.. sure

West Virginia.. I can buy

I can't believe in Kansas State

squicken

Can't help but think something is lurking. Seems so sudden. I know Stoops lost lots of big games but the program was in the toilet when he took over. He made the team relevant for 20 years and I have lots of doubts it will continue to be

I'm definitely glad that Mike Stoops did not get the job. I don't know if Riley is ready but I'd rather swing for the fences than go with a known dud

Varjis

Can't help but think something is lurking. Seems so sudden. I know Stoops lost lots of big games but the program was in the toilet when he took over. He made the team relevant for 20 years and I have lots of doubts it will continue to be

I'm definitely glad that Mike Stoops did not get the job. I don't know if Riley is ready but I'd rather swing for the fences than go with a known dud

His twins are seniors next year and he never gets to see them play, he bought that house around Chicago it just seems like the right time personally for him. Professionally, returning Heisman finalist, favored for the Big 12 title and a CFP birth and huge game against Ohio State.. it looks like next year would have been better.

andycapps

Time for everyone's favorite game: Mega Man boss or college football player?
Sakerlina always has at least one player with a great name.

UGA has a db committed for next year with the last name of Wildgoose. That's the best one I can remember on the team since Bacarri Rambo.

Alabama always has at least one player with a name that would make Verne trip up.

Top Bottom