• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football 2017 Week 1 |OT| Offseason's over. Back to #TALKINBOUTTHENOLES

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevtones

Taggart's teams have always had a trash first year under him and than drastic improvement in the following years. Wouldn't be surprised if it was the case in Eugene because it sounds like he's doing a teardown down to the screws.

Totally fair point but he has a bunch of starters back and top 25 talent to work with. The team, as shit as they were, lost a lot of close games and were really injured/young last year.

#alwaysanoptimist

I think it's no longer a joking matter to say McElwain has lost control of his team.

Aren't most of the suspensions (minus the one pot possession by a freshman receiver) stemming from 1 incident, the GatorID fraud shenanigans?

I'm not sure that qualifies as "losing control of the team."

I used to live in Eugene and went to UO, I got there the season Dennis Dixon and Brady Leaf rotated at QB, and poetically the team wore helmets with iridescent flames as they lost to BYU in the Las Vegas Bowl. The next season Chip Kelly came to run the offense, and I had my heart ripped out when Dennis Dixon's knee exploded on a Thursday night in Arizona.

Since that point and up until last season, it had been a very cozy ride. I am absolutely intrigued to see what the Ducks do under Taggart. I have to at least be somewhat optimistic—no one can be less inspiring than Mark Helfrich.

El_Chino

We told him he could only come back if he cheered for his real Alma Mater, NC State.

And?
And nothing. I'm just saying it's not something different from the other suspensions. These things are stupid and unfortunate but ultimately it was their own decision. Not sure why it has to fall on Mac.

andycapps

And nothing. I'm just saying it's not something different from the other suspensions. These things are stupid and unfortunate but ultimately it was their own decision. Not sure why it has to fall on Mac.

Same reason why players doing dumb things fell on Richt and falls on any other coach. They're in charge.

I don't expect Rutgers to win, but it should be a much more competitive game than last year.

Well with UW having 2 of their better players suspended helps out Rutgizz.

Just the fact Mehringer is gone and so is Laviano is huge Addition by Subtraction.

Mehringer never adapted and kept trying to run an offense that he didn't have people to do. The defense honestly wasn't that bad for the first 2 quarters of most games, but when the Offense is on and off the field in 50 seconds, the defense will wear down quickly.

Then on Laviano who couldn't even crack the THREE DEEP AT SAN DIEGO STATE had to quit football and now is going to play lacrosse? That's whom Rutgizz relied on for the last few years, shows you how bad the QB situation is.

Austin/Wharton are perhaps the 2 most underrated cornerback duos in the entire Big10.

Rutgizz also now has a legitimate punter that can immensely help in flipping field position. Also Rutgizz has a kicker that can actually get the ball to the end zone versus the 10-15 yard line.

El_Chino

Same reason why players doing dumb things fell on Richt and falls on any other coach. They're in charge.
Well I'm not in agreement with some players off the field choices falling on the Head coach. They're grown, they're their own man. They should know better.

Now if he didn't punish them or suspended them is a different story.

Georgia fans with a persecution complex always crack me up. Richt underachieved. Get over it.

Don't see the persecution complex in his statement. What he said was true, it (usually) falls on the coach when these kids do stupid shit. These kids know the schools and coaches are going to make millions off their backs yet they all still sign up for it. A full ride and shot at the NFL is too much to pass up. There are still rules once they enroll, like it or not. Some coaches are better at keeping it under control than others. Some coaches are also more willing to take a chance on a kid with "issues" if he's talented. Sometimes the coaches are worse than the kids.

Don't see the persecution complex in his statement. What he said was true, it (usually) falls on the coach when these kids do stupid shit. These kids know the schools and coaches are going to make millions off their backs yet they all still sign up for it. A full ride and shot at the NFL is too much to pass up. There are still rules once they enroll, like it or not. Some coaches are better at keeping it under control than others. Some coaches are also more willing to take a chance on a kid with "issues" if he's talented. Sometimes the coaches are worse than the kids.

Like drunken Sark!

I get it. But Richt being a "good guy" is the only thing UGA fans can cling to, it certainly isn't being a good football coach.

Kevtones

I used to live in Eugene and went to UO, I got there the season Dennis Dixon and Brady Leaf rotated at QB, and poetically the team wore helmets with iridescent flames as they lost to BYU in the Las Vegas Bowl. The next season Chip Kelly came to run the offense, and I had my heart ripped out when Dennis Dixon's knee exploded on a Thursday night in Arizona.

Since that point and up until last season, it had been a very cozy ride. I am absolutely intrigued to see what the Ducks do under Taggart. I have to at least be somewhat optimistic—no one can be less inspiring than Mark Helfrich.

Damn bro I missed you by a few years. I was a fresh in the dorms with Dixon. If you ever went to the Game Crazy up on Willamette then we've crossed paths. Anyway, watch out for the Husky fans around here. Welcome!

I get it. But Richt being a "good guy" is the only thing UGA fans can cling to, it certainly isn't being a good football coach.
I mean.. if you want to argue he underachieved at times. That's perfectly arguable as he did in my opinion in his tenure at Georgia.

I don't see in what world we can say he isn't a good coach. He won 75% of his games and won the SEC twice and won the East 5 times.. he finished below .500 once at Georgia.

What exactly is your definition of a good coach because that's.. pretty solid overall?

I mean.. if you want to argue he underachieved at times. That's perfectly arguable as he did in my opinion in his tenure at Georgia.

I don't see in what world we can say he isn't a good coach. He won 75% of his games and won the SEC twice and won the East 5 times.. he finished below .500 once at Georgia.

What exactly is your definition of a good coach because that's.. pretty solid overall?

With the talent he had, the area of recruiting he controlled, Richt severely underachieved. They should have been the florida of the last decade but the talent on the field could only bail him out for so long. Eventually a game would come down to coaching and he'd fail. Its why Georgia finally got rid of him. They knew they had a dud on their hands well before they actually removed him from his coaching duties. But his "nice guy" persona and the fact that he would ALMOST win the big games kept him around a lot longer than he deserved.

andycapps

We talk about last week's games and discuss this week's big and not so big games.

Leave us a review on iTunes, subscribe there or your podcast app of choice, and send in feedback or questions to podcast@the-cog.com

Thanks for listening
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

If you downloaded it prior to this edit time, try downloading it again.. Had some audio issues that I think I got sorted out.

cdyhybrid

We talk about last week's games and discuss this week's big and not so big games.

Leave us a review on iTunes, subscribe there or your podcast app of choice, and send in feedback or questions to podcast@the-cog.com

Thanks for listening
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

If you downloaded it prior to this edit time, try downloading it again.. Had some audio issues that I think I got sorted out.

We scheduled the home and home back in the Schiano era damnit!

Edit: This App State defense stuff :jnc

andycapps

We scheduled the home and home back in the Schiano era damnit!

Edit: This App State defense stuff :jnc
Had a hard time communicating that they have a pretty good, aggressive defense that relies on speed and smaller size to try to disrupt. Seems like a strategy that could cause problems at first but wear down when facing a bigger OL.

cdyhybrid

Had a hard time communicating that they have a pretty good, aggressive defense that relies on speed and smaller size to try to disrupt. Seems like a strategy that could cause problems at first but wear down when facing a bigger OL.

Haha yeah, I knew exactly what you meant. It just came out funny.

Well I'm not in agreement with some players off the field choices falling on the Head coach. They're grown, they're their own man. They should know better.

Now if he didn't punish them or suspended them is a different story.

...I agree?

My only issue with these things is if a coach continues to recruit and sign players that frequently get into trouble. This seems to all be stemming from one incident in one offseason. Saying he's completely lost control is overblown, especially since he's actually dropping suspensions.

(I'm honestly not too upset at them making some money for themselves either tbh lmao. Get it how you live)

megachao24

Unconfirmed Member
Let's see if the Roadrunners can make and win a lower-level bowl game. Or just shit the bed again.

I'm more interested if Incarnate Word's performance in their first year of tournament eligibility (even though it's LOL FCS tier).

Hey, Nashville is a lot of fun.

It's fun, but Florida loses every time I go there. UF lost while watching in person in overtime. First time I ever really feared for my life at a football game. Dude knew I was a gator and got some of his friends to rough me up after overtime. Only thing that saved me was the field goal had been taken down and some Vols were running it down Peyton Manning Blvd causing a distraction from my ass beating.

I also watched Tennessee play Arkansas in Nashville and I still couldn't escape the curse...Florida lost to an on-fire Eli Manning at Ole Miss team to take us out of the Championship hunt.

So I've told my self that unless Florida has an off week, I will not step foot into Nashville on game day. Ever.

Damn bro I missed you by a few years. I was a fresh in the dorms with Dixon. If you ever went to the Game Crazy up on Willamette then we've crossed paths. Anyway, watch out for the Husky fans around here. Welcome!

Wow. Small world. Yeah I used get pretty much all my gaming stuff there. I lived just down on the north side of Willamette across from the stadium on what should be 21st, but is called Grand View for whatever reason.

Still remember walking down that little back street that connects to the shopping center with anticipation to pick up Halo 3, and a case of some fine Oregon brew from the Market of Choice. Damn I miss that town.

I'm in the Eastern timezone now, but still watch as many Pac-12 games as I can, and then, on a good night usually say fuck it, and get some Hawai'i in like old times.

Will be wary of Huskies. I liked the world better with the streak ongoing.

Ugh. The defense has to be better, right?

Intrigued to see if USC will get back over the hump again since Tavita Pritchard broke them ten years ago. At least they have Oregon St. at home this year.

Excited as hell in general right now that it's Thursday!

andycapps

"appy state has one of those defenses that trys, you know, to get the ball back to the offense."

-andycappism
DCNevJH.gif

tebunker

Banned
It's fun, but Florida loses every time I go there. UF lost while watching in person in overtime. First time I ever really feared for my life at a football game. Dude knew I was a gator and got some of his friends to rough me up after overtime. Only thing that saved me was the field goal had been taken down and some Vols were running it down Peyton Manning Blvd causing a distraction from my ass beating.

I also watched Tennessee play Arkansas in Nashville and I still couldn't escape the curse...Florida lost to an on-fire Eli Manning at Ole Miss team to take us out of the Championship hunt.

So I've told my self that unless Florida has an off week, I will not step foot into Nashville on game day. Ever.

are you conflating Nashville, you know home of country music, with Knoxville, home of that garbage men's convention stadium and home to the ugliest orange creamsicle gross champions of life school UTknoxville?

Or are you just saying you watched a game while in Nashville and some mouth breathers roughed you up because you like UF? Don't those know its always better to poison trees than to punch people?

LosDaddie

Banned

Thanks for listening

Looking forward to giving it a listen today at the office. I plan to be a regular listener this season.

Last year at this time, I was studying for my PE exam, which essentially took up all my free time. I only allowed myself time to watch FSU games.... during study breaks.

So yeah. Going to make up for last season. Even rocked my company's NFL Fantasy Draft last weekend.

andycapps

Looking forward to giving it a listen today at the office. I plan to be a regular listener this season.

Last year at this time, I was studying for my PE exam, which essentially took up all my free time. I only allowed myself time to watch FSU games.... during study breaks.

So yeah. Going to make up for last season. Even rocked my company's NFL Fantasy Draft last weekend.
Awesome, hope you enjoy.

Ohio State in B-Town is getting the Megacast treatment with 6 different feeds of the game. The normal, coaches film room (with Les?), Homer cast, etc.

My Picks for Week 1

Tulsa(0-0) @ #10 Oklahoma State(0-0)
OK State wins. Not much else to say.

#2 Ohio State(0-0) @ Indiana(0-0)
Ohio State wins, obviously.

Navy(0-0) @ FAU(0-0)
I was uncertain about this one, but I'm giving the edge to Navy. Kiffin & Co. have a lot of unanswered questions.

Colorado State(1-0) @ Colorado(0-0)
Colorado goes out and get things done. I'm guessing a touchdown lead in the end.

Maryland(0-0) @ Texas(0-0)
Texas, like another team in Texas, will make a strong showing and start to generate hype only to crash later this season.

Cal(0-0) @ North Carolina(0-0)
UNC is favored to win here, but I'm giving Cal the upset. I don't follow either of these programs closely, but my gut says with Tribsky gone, Cal has a good shot at the upset.

UTEP(0-0) @ Oklahoma(0-0)
Oklahoma is going to win this. No contest.

#11 Michigan(0-0) vs. #17 Florida(0-0)
Although I like to pull for SEC, my gut says Michigan is going to win this game. I think they're a stronger team overall, and Florida is something like 1-8 vs the Big 10. I'd love to see Florida surprise though.

#3 Florida State(0-0) vs. #1 Alabama(0-0)
Alabama does. A close game until the 4th quarter when Alabama pulls ahead to win. 45 points scored total.

#22 West Virginia(0-0) vs. #21 Virginia Tech(0-0)
Flip a coin. Mine landed on Virgina Tech, although they let me down last year losing to Tennessee.

Texas A&M(0-0) @ UCLA(0-0)
This is the other Texas team that always comes out strong, then falters off. I'd expect no different this year.

#25 Tennessee(0-0) vs.Georgia Tech(0-0)
Tennesse wins, but God would I love triple option chaos this game. Fuck Tennesse. Hey, if Tennesse loses they can still be the champions of life, right? What does Georgia Tech have if they lose?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom