• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football Bowl and Playoff Thread - Where American Mediocrity is rewarded!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Balphon

I still don't understand the decision the schedule the games for NYE. Even NYD would've made a lot more sense.

That's because it makes no sense.

They couldn't schedule them on NYD because the Rose and/or Sugar bowls refused to move, but they could have scheduled them for the 2nd if they weren't stupid.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!

They couldn't schedule them on NYD because the Rose and/or Sugar bowls refused to move, but they could have scheduled them for the 2nd if they weren't stupid.
Everything is set up for new years eve again next year, isn't it?

Go Michigan!

Ah ok. And yeah, the 2nd would've been the most logical choice. Ah well. Maybe they'll learn next year.

RBH

The television ratings for ESPN’s College Football Playoff broadcasts on New Year’s Eve were released Friday afternoon, with the timing of the games playing a large part in a major drop in national viewership.

ESPN announced a 9.9 overnight rating for the Cotton Bowl (Alabama-Michigan State, 8 p.m. ET) and a 9.7 rating for the Orange Bowl (Clemson-Oklahoma, 4 p.m. ET).

Last year’s semifinals brought in a 15.5 rating for the early game, the Rose Bowl between Oregon and Florida State, and a 15.3 rating for the later one, the Sugar Bowl between Ohio State and Alabama.

While TV numbers were down, the semifinal games pulled in record online streaming numbers, with the Cotton and Orange Bowls coming in second and third all-time for WatchESPN events, behind last year’s title game, and excluding all World Cup soccer matches.

Playoff officials had hopes to create a “new tradition” for fans to plan their year-end festivities around football, but there was controversy surrounding the games’ kickoff times, given the annual celebrations surrounding New Year’s Eve and holiday travel.

SI’s Pete Thamel spoke to several nightlife promoters who were less than thrilled with ESPN’s broadcast timing, and pointed out that last year’s games—played on Jan. 1—drew the biggest cable audience in television history (28 million viewers). But with those prime New Year’s Day time slots belonging to the Rose and Sugar Bowls, that scenario changed.

Playoff officials also passed on the opportunity to move the semifinals to Saturday, Jan. 2, opting to gamble on New Year’s Eve kickoffs. ESPN had attempted to convince executives to play on Saturday this year only, given the opportunity presented by the calendar, but executives opted not to stray from the original plan.
http://www.si.com/college-football/2016/01/01/college-football-playoff-bowl-game-tv-ratings

The semifinals are currently scheduled for December 31st in three of the next four years.
http://www.collegefootballplayoff.com/future-sites-and-schedules

HeySeuss

Still on pace for 56 points.

Zeke will hopefully transition well to the pros, but we've thought that about many running backs.

ryan-ts

Zeke will hopefully transition well to the pros, but we've thought that about many running backs.

Hard to say. Dude rarely gets touched before he gets five yards down the field but he makes a lot of great plays. He won't have that luxury at the next level.

You know, maybe it's the vodka talking, but if I had to pick between slapping Mark Mays or Desmond Howard.....ugh...decisions decisions.

This is what i love about good coaching

Ohio State could have easily phoned it in and played the "we didn't want to be there" card like so many players of teams that lose these bowl games say (Alabama vs oklahoma a few years ago comes into mind...hell we hear this every time alabama loses but i digress)

It is the job of the head coach and his assistance to not allow that lack of motivation to happen. With ohio state we are seeing a coaching staff doing their job. They were looking at the playoffs all year, have every reason in the world to look demotivated and now want to be there, but are up 14 and played very well the first half.

Saban take note of what Urban is doing right now.

ryseing

Ya, but have you ever listened to Mark Mays and/or seen his smug face?

Mays is BAD but I can usually avoid him since he was moved to timeslots I don't normally watch.

The Lou/Mays show during Final was terrible and I'm glad it's over.

How can he ruin something that has always been terrible?

GameDay was fine until they extended it to three hours and gave Desmond a bigger role.

I also miss Fowler hosting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom