• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football Playoff + New Year's Six |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meier

A real god would have thrown a flag for offsides. Come on now. Everyone knows that.
Looked like he timed the snap perfectly. Either way, it was a 4th down play and there was nothing on that drive to suggest they'd have actually done anything with another play.

The targeting call was garbage and Michigan got away with multiple clear holds on both offense and defense. Dalvin out in the flat in the third was held by the Michigan LB for at least 4 seconds. He had him by the arm even after the play ended!

Having Francois do nothing but throw the ball 30-50 yards downfield the entire game was absurd. Needed to mix in some crossing routes and screens. Their defense is really good but he certainly didn't set him up to succeed.

Thank god he finally called a screen on the last drive and no surprise it worked!

Was thinking the same thing. Also, this was the worst major football production I have seen in years. Many important plays went without replays, the down and distance was constantly wrong, they had the wrong team listed as receiving the second half kickoff, the halftime performance was poorly lip synched and cut in the middle, and the commentators seemed to be bored and distracted throughout most of the game.

Embarassing.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
It really makes you wish the P5 conferences would all agree and go to a full only p5 ooc schedule kind of deal. The bowls do a poor job regarding conference parity, one off exhibitions are fairly meaningless, but I would be all about getting more things on par with CBB's ACC/Big 10 challenge etc.

P5 only scheduling would be nice for quality games and determining rankings, but it would probably suck for CFB outside the P5. Not getting the payouts would probably be the end for a lot of FCS and G5 programs.

ryseing

It really makes you wish the P5 conferences would all agree and go to a full only p5 ooc schedule kind of deal. The bowls do a poor job regarding conference parity, one off exhibitions are fairly meaningless, but I would be all about getting more things on par with CBB's ACC/Big 10 challenge etc.

I'd be down for a conference challenge type deal but G5/FCS rely on payday money to keep the programs afloat. I think getting rid of those games entirely would be bad for the sport.

^ Chaos beat me to it.

bgbball31

Well, at least I didn't have to go cry in the corner like I thought I was going to after the first quarter. Now I'm just pissed because Michigan had every chance to win that game and didn't.

Try a zone defense in the first half? lol 92 yard TD
3rd and 22? lol, let's let one of the best RB's in the country get the edge.
Go up with under two minutes left? lol let's let up a huge return when the guy LITERALLY STANDS STILL FOR 3 F()*&@# seconds!
Best cover corner on their #3 receiver at the end? lol he scores anyways.

Ugh...

Jarnet87

Awesome way to end the season for FSU, ended up turning into a pretty good season after what was turning into a trainwreck post NC.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Glad I'm not the only one that noticed this and it was giffed

https://twitter.com/SBNationGIF/status/815022127720108032

IsqTTq9.gif

I noticed that too and mentioned it to the DSA crew

That's bullshit. There are plenty of shit tier P5 teams that get to suck that teat over better G5 teams. Until that is fixed, I'd never support something like that.

Definitely on the list, but they're not the only ones.
So I'm in a weird spot regarding the p5 stuff. In the early 90's Schnellenberger was putting Louisville in position to be a successful independent football program.
Conference realignment then forced us into CUSA, Schnelly left for Oklahoma because we aligned ourselves to a shit tier conference
We clawed our way into the top 25 year after year in the late 90'S then early 20th ' s and we finally get into a BCS conference with the Big East

Then all the realignment shit the last 5 years or so

I'm happy where we are now, but I still very much hate the establishment, especially the bottom feeders of the p5 conferences that will happily be a doormat but then talk shit about how we should go to p5 only play

Only way this ever works is if they moved college football into leagues like European soccer where you can play your way up to a better league, or play your way down. Mike Leach make it happen

Psssssssssst, this was michgians best team in about decade and for at least the next 3 years and they still couldnt win a big road game.

So I'm in a weird spot regarding the p5 stuff. In the early 90's Schnellenberger was putting Louisville in position to be a successful independent football program.
Conference realignment then forced us into CUSA, Schnelly left for Oklahoma because we aligned ourselves to a shit tier conference
We clawed our way into the top 25 year after year in the late 90'S then early 20th ' s and we finally get into a BCS conference with the Big East

Then all the realignment shit the last 5 years or so

I'm happy where we are now, but I still very much hate the establishment, especially the bottom feeders of the p5 conferences that will happily be a doormat but then talk shit about how we should go to p5 only play

Only way this ever works is if they moved college football into leagues like European soccer where you can play your way up to a better league, or play your way down. Mike Leach make it happen
Despite some of our spats over the years, I do respect the UL program overall. I hated some of their shitbag coaches like Strong, but the program deserved and earned respect.

CUSA back then I feel was a great lifeboat for some teams - notably TCU and UL. For a team like UCF later on, CUSA allowed us to build up facilities and establish a foundation - even if it led to just getting into the Big East/AAC. I have admiration for CUSA.

But those facilities, etc. are still quite solid. Especially our basketball arena.

As for the current reality, yeah it's bullshit. A relegation system would make sense at some level, but of course that would never be allowed. UCF is new in general, but a lot has been accomplished and more than a good amount of those shit-tier P5 welfare teams. It's BS that it means zilch and UCF likely will be locked out for good from bigger conferences.

For some reason your dickiness towards Michigan is more charming tonight. I don't know why.

WANT MORE?!

With Michigan's Orange Bowl loss, Urban Meyer still has as many 11+ win seasons since 2012 at OSU (5) as Michigan has since 1905.

With loss tonight, Michigan will have zero top-5 finishes since 2000.
Ohio State already has ten (with 2 NCs) and should get #11 this year.

Michgian: you will soon be lumped in with Tennessee/Nebraska as the has beens of the 90s.

EDIT: MOAR MOAR MOAR

@TomOrr4 2h2 hours ago
Michigan joins programs such as 2007 Kansas in capping their best season in a generation with an Orange Bowl appearance. Kansas won tho.

Double edit!: Lets ask jim how far offsides he was:

C0-rULoXgAAaZ-I.jpg

WANT MORE?!

With Michigan's Orange Bowl loss, Urban Meyer still has as many 11+ win seasons since 2012 at OSU (5) as Michigan has since 1905.

With loss tonight, Michigan will have zero top-5 finishes since 2000.
Ohio State already has ten (with 2 NCs) and should get #11 this year.

Michgian: you will soon be lumped in with Tennessee/Nebraska as the has beens of the 90s.

EDIT: MOAR MOAR MOAR

@TomOrr4 2h2 hours ago
Michigan joins programs such as 2007 Kansas in capping their best season in a generation with an Orange Bowl appearance. Kansas won tho.

Double edit!: Lets ask jim how far offsides he was:

C0-rULoXgAAaZ-I.jpg
To steal a phrase from international relations - greatness is always descending on Michigan, but lands on Ohio state.

tebunker

Banned
That's bullshit. There are plenty of shit tier P5 teams that get to suck that teat over better G5 teams. Until that is fixed, I'd never support something like that.

I mean, I don't disagree. Personally if I had my way, there would be 4 super conferences ~16 teams a piece, NE, SE, SW, NW, roughly. But again, as others have said, it would be death to a lot of smaller schools needing the payouts. Or it would cause those teams and schools to reign in administrative costs. Who knows.

To think that the P5 conferences aren't already trying to figure a way to leave everyone else in the dust is silly. Hell the G5 schools are trying to float ideas that they should have their own playoffs.

All of it is silly, and the sport is going to need to change if it wants long term viability.

Sorry to hear that

I remember 3 things about that game

- before this year that was the only game I felt Petrino was out coached. Completely unable to make adjustments, especially with their blitz packages.
- that freaking field goal attempt
- only time I ever disliked james Gandolfini

tebunker

Banned
Sorry to hear that

I remember 3 things about that game

- before this year that was the only game I felt Petrino was out coached. Completely unable to make adjustments, especially with their blitz packages.
- that freaking field goal attempt
- only time I ever disliked james Gandolfini

Uhhhh. You talkin bout Bobby Petrino? We talking bout Petrino? Like get on the back of my bike Petrino?

I guess you stopped paying attention when he left yall the first time. Dude was routinely out coached and out classed in both the NFL and at Arkansas.

I mean, I don't disagree. Personally if I had my way, there would be 4 super conferences ~16 teams a piece, NE, SE, SW, NW, roughly. But again, as others have said, it would be death to a lot of smaller schools needing the payouts. Or it would cause those teams and schools to reign in administrative costs. Who knows.

To think that the P5 conferences aren't already trying to figure a way to leave everyone else in the dust is silly. Hell the G5 schools are trying to float ideas that they should have their own playoffs.

All of it is silly, and the sport is going to need to change if it wants long term viability.
Eh, McMurphy wrote a bullshit article. He loves shitting on the G5. Claiming there is a push for a separate playoff when at least 3 G5 commissioners came out saying that is dumb.

There is no real push to setup a playoff because it would just make a split that much easier.

ag-my001

I'd like to thank the BWW announcer for already reminding me how bad the A&M defense was down the stretch. Best game for both the LSU qb and rb.

ag-my001

Does BWW still not have a food tie-in for their bowl? How can they let Outback continue to beat them at this? At least go B1G1 for traditional vs. boneless depending on the winner.

tebunker

Banned
Anxiety has fully set in, going to be a long 8 hours

Not gonna lie, was up till 2:30 this morning, partly bc of the FSu game, all the coffee I have been pounding the last 14 days, the Alabama game, and wanting to play DX MD, but I feel you.

I don't wear a lot of Alabama gear, I am the anti-team gear type fan, but I do have one of my 3 shirts on, underneath a sweatshirt so no one sees.

Uhhhh. You talkin bout Bobby Petrino? We talking bout Petrino? Like get on the back of my bike Petrino?

I guess you stopped paying attention when he left yall the first time. Dude was routinely out coached and out classed in both the NFL and at Arkansas.
I can't blame petrino for atlanta, as I clearly stated, "outcoached" the falcons without mike Vick was a matter of literally 30 other teams could line up with superior talent.

Didn't follow petrino religiously while he was at Arkansas, but my understanding is he took the worse or 2nd worse team in the sec west to 2nd or third in that division and let the hate flow, motorcycle jokes? This was two consenting adults, not Sandusky raping boys while other staff members watched for 25 years

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom