• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football Playoff Thread | Setting A Daggerous Precedent

Status
Not open for further replies.

Well he does employ The Great Enemy of Mankind, aka Jeff Bowden, on his staff. So there's that.

Sounds like FSU is going to extend Jimbo's contract and boost his pay to Stoops/Strong like levels even before the playoffs are over. Seems reasonable-he's dominating the conference, the recruiting class is crazy, and he just keeps winning.

Mrbob

Bo Pelini going ham is great. The Nebraska response makes it all the better.

Also, Aranda might be coming back. So the defense should continue to get better while the offense will get better. Team shouldn't miss a beat. Thanks, Gary!

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Student-athletes, ladies and gentlemen:

Hugh Freeze ✔ @CoachHughFreeze
Follow

Our Football Team earned the highest team GPA (2.57) in recorded history of the football program.” Thanks @UMTrueRebel for a great year

mre

I mean, it is still an accomplishment to be celebrated by him, though I would have downplayed the actual GPA it was.
If it was one guy's GPA, then a 2.57 wouldn't be so bad what with the time commitments these kids have. Admittedly, I'm putting myself out here a bit because I don't know UA's team GPA, but a 2.57 GPA as an average is a bit unsettling because you know there are some guys floating around with GPAs less than 2.0.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Meh, doesn't matter. Improvement is something to be proud of. Saying that is good enough is obviously not ok, but i doubt he would say that.

"Your essay was simultaneously short yet excessively rambling. No sentence structure, very little punctuation, and 2 teacher's assistants have used this as reason to find other work, lest they be exposed to further insult. I can't believe you made it through elementary school. However, you did have 3 tackles for loss against Auburn.

B+"

If it was one guy's GPA, then a 2.57 wouldn't be so bad what with the time commitments these kids have. Admittedly, I'm putting myself out here a bit because I don't know UA's team GPA, but a 2.57 GPA as an average is a bit unsettling because you know there are some guys floating around with GPAs less than 2.0.

One of our players said in 2007 his senior year their team GPA was 2.97 with 40 academic all americans.

Boom.

Let the decommits flow from Aggy as daddy longhorn rises like a phoenix.

Shockingly, if you have a shitty defense, and don't have a real plan to fix it, specifically no current DC, you won't win defensive recruits.

It's morning in Texas, again.

No, seriously, it's 10 AM.

Lunar15

Ahh, I remember the good old days of recruits committing to my program.

Tis but a faint memory.

McElwain has such a crazy uphill battle right now. It's going to take at least a year for him to get any proper recruits.

Plus, our already bad o-line is getting worse by the second, especially with Humphries most likely leaving.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Shockingly, if you have a shitty defense, and don't have a real plan to fix it, specifically no current DC, you won't win defensive recruits.

It's morning in Texas, again.

No, seriously, it's 10 AM.

Lot of noise that Daylon Mack may be UT/LSU at this point and leaving Aggy, he called Malik like 10 minutes after he committed to Texas.

Same with Kyler Murray which is super weird because his dad is Aggys 2nd best QB ever.

I'm hoping we are on the phone with all of their defensive recruits as soon as the dead period is over. It's poaching season. There is zero reason for anyone with any talent to be on that side of the ball at A&M.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
I'm good with players going from A&M to UTA.

Not that I believe Sumlin will succeed without having a Heisman QB and a Top 10 pick WR. They were horribad this year.

A&M can blame AJ McCarron for Sumlin's overpriced salary. Throwing that stupid interception back in 2012...

Lot of noise that Daylon Mack may be UT/LSU at this point and leaving Aggy, he called Malik like 10 minutes after he committed to Texas.

Same with Kyler Murray which is super weird because his dad is Aggys 2nd best QB ever.

I'm hoping we are on the phone with all of their defensive recruits as soon as the dead period is over. It's poaching season. There is zero reason for anyone with any talent to be on that side of the ball at A&M.

I wonder who in the hell A&M is waiting for. Is there a name they can't hire because of bowl season or something?

I'm good with players going from A&M to UTA.

Not that I believe Sumlin will succeed without having a Heisman QB and a Top 10 pick WR. They were horribad this year.

A&M can blame AJ McCarron for Sumlin's overpriced salary. Throwing that stupid interception back in 2012...

It's kinda weird how consistent the A&M coaching arc is. They over perform their first year, get a fat extension, do alright in their second, then slowly start to just fade to a middling team.

StoOgE

I wonder who in the hell A&M is waiting for. Is there a name they can't hire because of bowl season or something?

It's kinda weird how consistent the A&M coaching arc is. They over perform their first year, get a fat extension, do alright in their second, then slowly start to just fade to a middling team.

I think at the end of the day College Station is a huge detriment.

In the long-term you are not going to keep Dallas/Houston kids in collieville.

I think at the end of the day College Station is a huge detriment.

In the long-term you are not going to keep Dallas/Houston kids in collieville.

Texas grads hope to find employment in Austin. A&M grads hope to find employment in.....Austin, or at least someplace not college station

Lonestar

Seriously, A&M needs to make a major move, in staff, because they are threatening to blow up all the gains they've made, by being "the SEC team in Texas".

StoOgE

Seriously, A&M needs to make a major move, in staff, because they are threatening to blow up all the gains they've made, by being "the SEC team in Texas".

Would you want to be the DC of that dumpster fire?

More critically in the short term, they lost their recruiters in Dallas and Houston.

Which means, the people with a relationship with the pick-off targets aren't there to talk tot hem.

I expect every school in the state is calling them. If Mack flips somewhere it could become an implosion on the defensive side of the ball.

And I'd hate to see what that D looks like when it's not loaded with 4 and 5 star talent given how bad they are with it.

Meier

This is what I tweeted to Menelaus yesterday when he mentioned Malik was probably gonna select UT:

@Menel4us A&M had a good run as top dawg in Texas. Two years longer than anyone ever expected.

Let's be honest, it wasn't going to continue. I said it when USC was calling -- Sumlin absolutely should have gotten out of Dodge while ha had the opportunity. On average, A&M is a 9 win team (at most) going forward. I said this before this season when the Mississippi schools weren't just doormats, let alone if they retain any semblance of competitiveness. Texas is going to bounce back and A&M is going to be a slightly above average team. Balance is being restored to the force.

Lonestar

The Mississippi schools will return to doormats shortly. Both are losing alot of good seniors and if they lose all of their good Junior players (Dak on MSUs, McKinney has already declared), then they'll slide.

Ole Miss might have one more good year, with Swag Kelly from JUCO replacing Bad Bo at QB, and the "Bought and Paid for" class from 2 years ago will all declare after next year (Tunsil, Treadwell, Nkemdiche, Engram and Conner). Ole Miss hasn't had as good a class as that ever, and haven't had one since (currently in the teens on 247, which puts them at the back half of the SEC :lol)

#1 Alabama
#3 Georgia
#4 A&M
#6 Tennessee
#10 Auburn
#12 South Carolina
#15 Miss State
#16 Ole Miss
#17 LSU (lol, tDecline is reaaaal)
#21 Arkansas
#28 Kentucky
$40 Missouri
#52 Vandy
#76 Florida (Muschamp decided to both tank on and off the field - only 8 commitments whaaa)

Daylon Mack, 5*, just decommited from A&M

THEE MACK TRUCK @DaylonMack · 1m 1 minute ago
I have decomitted from Texas A&M and I will be releasing my top two schools around noon Saturday!

Lonestar

You think those are his top 2?

the comma implies I'm talking to "Tejas/Texas", but I'd assume so, yeah. 247 hasn't updated, but they have it like this:
Texas A&M 52% Texas 29% LSU 13% Auburn 3% Miami 3%

So, if he decommits from A&M, odds are it's Texas and LSU (unless he decides to keep A&M in the loop for a recommitment down the road)

the poll actually just changed, Texas gained a good bit while A&M and LSU lost some.

andycapps

Glorious.

P5wKszy.jpg

StoOgE

Kyler decomit seems to be pending too.

What happens if they lose their 5 star QB today also?

All of the Crystal Balls on 247 are putting Mack to Texas.

We may be about to open the floodgates on this thing. I figured Aggy would hang on for 2-4 more years before imploding.

StoOgE

Boyd threw the hook 'em after winning the state title game MVP and shouted "I'm about to hook them horns". Which is not a final commitment, but he announced he will commit on Xmas day.

So, I assume he is ours as well.

If we can lock down Mack and a couple of others we should be moving towards a top 5 class quickly.

Meier

Boyd threw the hook 'em after winning the state title game MVP and shouted "I'm about to hook them horns". Which is not a final commitment, but he announced he will commit on Xmas day.

So, I assume he is ours as well.

If we can lock down Mack and a couple of others we should be moving towards a top 5 class quickly.
Not sure if they're brothers and/or the same year but two Boyds did apparently.

@AndrewKingHorns: Texas Targets Kris Boyd (@kris23db) & DeMarco Boyd (@demarco_boyd) throw up the Horns again after a win. http://t.co/Or84UxZnTs

the sips have an unfair advantage running UIL under the University of Texas.

-aggy

also, Malik Jefferson just signed with Texas, which pretty much means he won't be flipped to aggy or any other school now. He'll also be an early enrollee, and we may see him in action during the spring game in 4 months.

StoOgE

the sips have an unfair advantage running UIL under the University of Texas.

-aggy

also, Malik Jefferson just signed with Texas, which pretty much means he won't be flipped to aggy or any other school now. He'll also be an early enrollee, and we may see him in action during the spring game in 4 months.

And it means he can host recruits like Mack in January.

And yes, there are two Boyds, but I think one is non scholly offer

mre

Early enrollee's still can't sign their LOIs until February (it's just moot at that time). The paperwork which can be signed at this stage just binds Texas to the kid. He's still fair game to flip (however unlikely that may be) until he's enrolled and on campus for class. Unless the rules have changed, in which case please educate me?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom