• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football Playoff Thread | Setting A Daggerous Precedent

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silkworm

Woo! UF finally got their D-Coordinator (plucked from MSU). Welcome, Geoff "Minister of Mayhem" Collins to Hogtown! Too bad for Mullen but I'm sure MSU will find someone to replace Collins. Now if only UF could keep Florida cornerbacks coach Travaris Robinson on staff, especially for recruiting reasons *fingers crossed*

tokkun

B4_gpdNIcAAhMYh.png:large

Is this really the best Pelini could do? Or does the guy just want to go some place where fans will have low expectations?

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Excluding USC and tOSU seems arbitrary.

Even still, none of this is relevant. If Harbaugh comes in, turns things around in 2 years and makes Michigan competitive again, then abandons them for the NFL return, Michigan should say thank you very much Jim! You helped us out of a bind.

Because they would be set up to succeed with a much wider range of coaches.

Turning around big programs is hard.

If Kiffin had turned Tennessee around before dumping them,he wouldn't need security while in Knoxville.

I think Harbaugh is a control freak, and he can get paid about as much at Meatchicken as any NFL team, and rule with an iron fist. He doesn't have to worry about a GM and their bad decisions. I think if he goes back, he's not returning to the NFL, but thats just me.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Missed it, what does it all mean.
Not sure. didn't think he could join the team until after he's enrolled in January, but he's practicing and has the number 1.

Surely he's not eligible to play in the bowl game?

Edit: and PoI is higher on my list than your nonexistent list right now! :p

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Not sure. didn't think he could join the team until after he's enrolled in January, but he's practicing and has the number 1.

Surely he's not eligible to play in the bowl game?

Edit: and PoI is higher on my list than your nonexistent list right now! :p

I'd be unable to decipher what playing in 1 game would do with any redshirt possibilities.

mre

I'd be unable to decipher what playing in 1 game would do with any redshirt possibilities.
I don't think he's redshirting. He certainly didn't use a redshirt for this season because he wasn't enrolled, and he won't be taking one next year. Kid is a real talent. He'd step into Drake's role, if he could play, but I seriously can't conceive of a way he'd be eligible to even play this year.

Lonestar

Which goes to the question, If he's that good, then he'll only play 2 seasons (2015 & 2016), as I imagine that'll put him in the "3 years post high school" department, and might as well play him if it's possible.

Lonestar

Saban: Bo Scarborough can practice now that he’s enrolled. Can’t travel to bowl game/bowl practice but can practice here.

That answers that.

Saban on Kiffin's Broyles speech: “It was kind of humorous.” Joked that “the best part was at the end” about not being allowed to talk to media.

Might be the most gleeful answer he's ever given. He might actually crack a smile.

How are you guys dealing with this whole Championship Game thing in the pick 'em? Surprised it didn't give you the option to pick winners, like the basketball tournament.

Assanova

I'm pretty sure that Fickell was just an interim head coach for the rest of the year that Tressel got suspended, and then kept the job until Ohio State could find a coach once Tressel was fired. He was never hired as head coach after a formal search, so he doesn't really count.

Well look at who both hired, Kiffin and Fickell. Those are not the kinds of hires that elite programs, coming off winning seasons make unless there are extenuating circumstances.

Here are the top 10 D1 teams by wins:

1. Michigan
2. Notre Dame
3. Texas
4. Nebraska
5. Ohio State
6. Oklahoma
7. Alabama
8. Tennessee
9. USC
10. Georgia

And here are their records the year of their most recent coaching change:

1. Dick Rod 7-5 -> Brady Hoke
2. Charlie Weiss 6-6 -> Brian Kelly
3. Mack Brown 8-5 -> Charlie Strong
4. Bill Callahan 5-7 -> Bo Pelini
5. Jim Tressel 12-1 -> Luke Fickell
6. John Blake 3-5 -> Bob Stoops
7. Mike Shula 6-6 -> Nick Saban
8. Derek Dooley 4-7 -> Butch Jones
9. Pete Carroll 9-4 -> Lane Kiffin
10. Jim Donnan 8-4 -> Mark Richt

Bo Pelini, Luke Fickell, Mark Richt and Bob Stoops were first time head coaches. Kiffin and Hoke both had losing records as head coaches (although Kiffin had a winning record as a college head coach). Charlie Strong, Nick Saban, Brian Kelly and Butch Jones were all established coaches with winning records at their previous jobs. Strong, Jones and Kelly were all coaches at lesser schools and Saban fled from the NFL.

I spent so much time researching all this I forgot where I was going with it...

Oh right, usually the premier jobs open up when the program is in the toilet or has been non championship tier for awhile.

andycapps

Apparently multiple schools may be looking at Mike Bobo. Colorado State being one of them. UGA needs to do what it takes to keep him.

RQghSXx.gif

The simple fact is the JH smoke is as thick as ever, and that's all we can ask for.

So much of this thing is just biased as hell - NFL vs. CFB, rumor A vs. rumor B vs. rumor C. But from where I'm sitting we've got six basic facts:

1. Michigan is very interested in obtaining the services of JH and will pay fair market value.
2. JH has been rumored to be interested.
3. JH has not publicly denied interest.
4. Certain insiders have said JH will be the next head coach.
5. Certain insiders have said JH is staying the NFL.
6. Just about every Michigan fan, alum and former player is pleading for Jim to "come home," and dude would be a king if he came back, and he knows this; he's a huge UM fan himself, knows the state of the program, and knows he's the man to fix it. (This is precisely our secret weapon that non-UM fans don't understand and won't grant us, and why the world "unrealistic" has been thrown around so much; but it's WHY we've got a shot at one of the best coaches in the world to begin with.)

Other than that, it's all shits & giggles.

Jim, COME THE F HOME.

Go Blue.

andycapps

The simple fact is the JH smoke is as thick as ever, and that's all we can ask for.

So much of this thing is just biased as hell - NFL vs. CFB, rumor A vs. rumor B vs. rumor C. But from where I'm sitting we've got six basic facts:

1. Michigan is very interested in obtaining the services of JH and will pay fair market value.
2. JH has been rumored to be interested.
3. JH has not publicly denied interest.
4. Certain insiders have said JH will be the next head coach.
5. Certain insiders have said JH is staying the NFL.
6. Just about every Michigan fan, alum and former player is pleading for Jim to "come home," and dude would be a king if he came back, and he knows this; he's a huge UM fan himself, knows the state of the program, and knows he's the man to fix it. (This is precisely our secret weapon that non-UM fans don't understand and won't grant us, and why the world "unrealistic" has been thrown around so much; but it's WHY we've got a shot at one of the best coaches in the world to begin with.)

Other than that, it's all shits & giggles.

Jim, COME THE F HOME.

Go Blue.

This post reads like an Auburn fan wrote it, just add orange to the "Go Blue" and replace the Michigan Man sentiment with Auburn Family and you'd be there.

ryan-ts

This post reads like an Auburn fan wrote it, just add orange to the "Go Blue" and replace the Michigan Man sentiment with Auburn Family and you'd be there.

I will say that everyone besides UM insiders believe he won't go to Michigan. I'll also say that Auburn is not Michigan despite your claim... we haven't done shit since 2006, however, Ann Arbor is a magical place where dreams come true. I really doubt Harbaugh would continue to string his old school along if he didn't have at least some interest in taking the job.

Who cares? The coaching search is way easier when you have a successful program and not a poofire.

I'm not suggesting that Michigan shouldn't go after him. If he wants to take over that dumpster fire, by all means, hire him.

But I hope they're not operating under the delusion that he'll stay there for more than a few years if he does take the job.

andycapps

I will say that everyone besides UM insiders believe he won't go to Michigan. I'll also say that Auburn is not Michigan despite your claim... we haven't done shit since 2006, however, Ann Arbor is a magical place where dreams come true. I really doubt Harbaugh would continue to string his old school along if he didn't have at least some interest in taking the job.

True, Michigan hasn't had the level of success that Auburn has had lately. I'm talking more of the rhetoric displayed in the post. Was just a good natured jab.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member

I don't really get what part of this you think is a secret. Everyone knows he likes Michigan, everybody knows the state of the program, and him being a guy that could turn it around isn't really all that in dispute.

I don't think he's redshirting. He certainly didn't use a redshirt for this season because he wasn't enrolled, and he won't be taking one next year. Kid is a real talent. He'd step into Drake's role, if he could play, but I seriously can't conceive of a way he'd be eligible to even play this year.

Playing in a single game would burn a redshirt, but if he's really not enrolled at all, then I can't imagine how he's eligible even to practice, much less play. Must be some kind of waiver in place or something that allows him to practice now that the regular season is over, but I would be absolutely shocked if he actually played in the bowl game.

If he didn't qualify for the Fall semester but is initially enrolling in January then it sounds like he's a grayshirt, which would mean that he actually counts against the 2015 recruiting class, and his 5 to play 4 would start with the 2015 season. I've never even heard of anything like how he is apparently allowed to practice without being enrolled, though, so who knows.

Jhriad

Well look at who both hired, Kiffin and Fickell. Those are not the kinds of hires that elite programs, coming off winning seasons make unless there are extenuating circumstances.

Kiffin at the time of the Tennessee hire was still very highly regarded in college football and though we laugh now he was a legitimately big hire at the time. Also as was previously pointed out Fickell wasn't hired. He was the DC on staff and became the interim head coach after the Tressel stuff blew up.

And here are their records the year of their most recent coaching change:

4. Bill Callahan 5-7 -> Bo Pelini -Not the most recent coaching change
5. Jim Tressel 12-1 -> Luke Fickell -Not the most recent coaching change
9. Pete Carroll 9-4 -> Lane Kiffin -Not the most recent coaching change

Bo Pelini, Luke Fickell, Mark Richt and Bob Stoops were first time head coaches. Kiffin and Hoke both had losing records as head coaches (although Kiffin had a winning record as a college head coach). Charlie Strong, Nick Saban, Brian Kelly and Butch Jones were all established coaches with winning records at their previous jobs. Strong, Jones and Kelly were all coaches at lesser schools and Saban fled from the NFL.

I'm not sure how that paragraph of coaches is supposed to support anyone's argument, including your own.

mre

Playing in a single game would burn a redshirt, but if he's really not enrolled at all, then I can't imagine how he's eligible even to practice, much less play. Must be some kind of waiver in place or something that allows him to practice now that the regular season is over, but I would be absolutely shocked if he actually played in the bowl game.

If he didn't qualify for the Fall semester but is initially enrolling in January then it sounds like he's a grayshirt, which would mean that he actually counts against the 2015 recruiting class, and his 5 to play 4 would start with the 2015 season. I've never even heard of anything like how he is apparently allowed to practice without being enrolled, though, so who knows.
I think he's back-counting to 2014, in terms of NCAA scholarship limitations on initial offers of grants-in-aid (25 per year), but 2015 will be the first year his eligibility to play starts to run.

Like Lonestar said, per Saban he's not eligible to play, but I'm perplexed as you are how he's even able to practice.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
I think he's back-counting to 2014, in terms of NCAA scholarship limitations on initial offers of grants-in-aid (25 per year), but 2015 will be the first year his eligibility to play starts to run.

Like Lonestar said, per Saban he's not eligible to play, but I'm perplexed as you are how he's even able to practice.
I should have said that he could count against 2015, as my original post implied that he would, which is not necessarily correct. The important part is when his eligibility starts, though, and as you say that would be 2015 no matter which class he technically counts against.

@rivalsmike 17m17 minutes ago
Lots of talk of Harbaugh to #Raiders if they will give him control, #Wolverines seem longshot city because he wants NFL title.

Lots of Wolverines going to be super sad in a month or so

andycapps

Our AD just said that Mike Bobo is interviewing for the head coaching position at Colorado State. So he's either getting an overdue raise out of this or getting the job. McGarity needs to stop trying to be Jeremy Foley and spend some damn money. Spending what it takes to keep him should be priority #1 for him right now. He is the recruiter for the #1 QB in 2016, Jacob Eason, and if we lose Bobo, we'll likely lose him. He's coached 7 QB's and put 4 in the NFL, and is a tremendous recruiter, coordinator, and developer of QB's. Pay him his money and give him the head coach in waiting title
sorry for giving you a heart attack, Enron

Sorry for double post, figured someone else would have posted by now.

Draxal

@rivalsmike 17m17 minutes ago
Lots of talk of Harbaugh to #Raiders if they will give him control, #Wolverines seem longshot city because he wants NFL title.

Lots of Wolverines going to be super sad in a month or so

If he gets personal control of a NFL job, he's staying in the NFL, but it's very very rare that it's given.

Draxal

Our AD just said that Mike Bobo is interviewing for the head coaching position at Colorado State. So he's either getting an overdue raise out of this or getting the job. McGarity needs to stop trying to be Jeremy Foley and spend some damn money. Spending what it takes to keep him should be priority #1 for him right now. He is the recruiter for the #1 QB in 2016, Jacob Eason, and if we lose Bobo, we'll likely lose him. He's coached 7 QB's and put 4 in the NFL, and is a tremendous recruiter, coordinator, and developer of QB's. Pay him his money and give him the head coach in waiting title
sorry for giving you a heart attack, Enron

Sorry for double post, figured someone else would have posted by now.

I came into this thread to see your/enron's reaction to the Bobo news and agree 100%. I don't think you necessarily have to worry about losing Eason but a world with Richt and w/o Bobo seems real bad for UGA.

andycapps

I came into this thread to see your/enron's reaction to the Bobo news and agree 100%. I don't think you necessarily have to worry about losing Eason but a world with Richt and w/o Bobo seems real bad for UGA.

Enron wants to clean house. I think my opinion on the state of the program there is fairly well known but I'm happy with Richt knowing that he likely has a few years left and still has a good chance at winning a title. Pruitt or Bobo will be gone after this next season (if Bobo isn't gone beforehand) if they don't give one of them the head coach in waiting title. Excited to see what Pruitt can do in year 2 of his defense with a loaded recruiting class coming in and with returning players having another year of experience. Nick Chubb in year 2, plus Sony Michel with an extra 10 pounds of muscle will be nice. Also, seeing the Brice Ramsey or Jacob Park show at QB has me very excited. That is, until Eason gets there. Either one of them will have to have a perfect season to keep a QB like that from starting his first year. Will be interesting.

If Bobo does leave, my expectations for our season immediately take a nosedive.

Ganhyun

Most UGA fans I know call him Mike DoDo and dont give him any credit for the offense really. Most on Facebook are posting things like "I'll help you pack your bags, get out" responses about this news.

andycapps

Most UGA fans I know call him Mike DoDo and dont give him any credit for the offense really. Most on Facebook are posting things like "I'll help you pack your bags, get out" responses about this news.

Most UGA fans are in denial about him and can't realize that he has improved as a coach. You don't lead the conference in offense after losing one of the best QB's at the school and having a Heisman candidate RB out for 4 games (then lose him altogether when he comes back) by being a crappy coordinator. I've given Bobo plenty of crap in the past, but he has become a very good coach. And I'm eating crow by saying that. More UGA fans need to do so.

tokkun

YES!!!! Enzark, high five!

Been hoping he'd be the coach for years!

I have more of a 'wait and see' attitude toward Chryst. He certainly wasn't lighting things up at Pitt. Let's see what he does with the rest of the staff. If he retains Aranda as DC and manages to bring Bob Bostad back from the NFL, I'll feel more optimistic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom