• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football Playoff Thread | Setting A Daggerous Precedent

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jhriad

Weren't bridges burnt between Frost and Neb?

Bridges were burned but not between the him and university or administration. It happened during his playing career at Nebraska but most folks are mum about it. He could get the job eventually but I don't think he would be a good move for now. For one his hiring would be divisive with a subset of folks that we need behind us 100% and he doesn't really have much OC experience. Two years at Oregon is great but he also had Mariota the entire time and his playcalling has been suspect at times.

andycapps

Bridges were burned but not between the him and university or administration. It happened during his playing career at Nebraska but most folks are mum about it. He could get the job eventually but I don't think he would be a good move for now. For one his hiring would be divisive with a subset of folks that we need behind us 100% and he doesn't really have much OC experience. Two years at Oregon is great but he also had Mariota the entire time and his playcalling has been suspect at times.

Mike Bobo to Nebraska!

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Joe Pequeno ‏@JoePequenoCBS5 5h5 hours ago
A friend close to the Michigan program told me Michigan is offering Jim Harbaugh 49 million for six years to be the team's new coach.

$8.16 Million a year.

Meier

Jameis all

BirdmanHandRub.gif

Lonestar

“A guy like (Eichorst) who has no integrity, he doesn’t even understand what a core value is," Pelini told players. "And he hasn’t understood it from the day he got here. I saw it when I first met with the guy.

“To have core values means you have to be about something, you have to represent something, you have to have something that is important to you. He is a f------ lawyer who makes policies. That’s all he’s done since he’s been here is hire people and make policies to cover his own ass.”

“I didn't really have any relationship with the A.D.,” Pelini said. “The guy, you guys saw him (Sunday), the guy is a total p----. I mean, he is, and he's a total c---.”

“I said to (assistant coach Rick Kaczenski) at one point, I said this job is killing me. I said I don't want to die doing this job. I meant it. I was like, I don't want to have a heart attack on this job.”

“He goes, I disagree that I haven't supported you. I said, 'Hey bud, you can't support someone under a f-ing rock.' I said, to do your job at this level, in a place like this, you gotta be a grown-ass f-ing man...to lead something. I said you can't lead anything under a f-ing rock. I said you don't spend any time with us. Our players don't even know who you are. That isn't leadership.

“And he said, 'Well I appreciate (your) advice.'”

“I said, 'I suggest you take it, but see you later.' And that's how it went down.”

“I don't even know what those guys really do. And I said ‘Hey, if (Eichorst) isn't gonna do his job, if he doesn't have the balls to go out there and support me, to support these kids, support this program, do me a favor and get rid of me.’"

“And unfortunately all I found out then was that they were p------ and they were gonna do what was politically right.”

9.jpg

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/bo-pelini-insults-a-d-shawn-eichorst-in-expletive-filled/article_b202b14a-8633-11e4-8c91-f3f5386da4f8.html

A game of "Is it Pelini or Malcolm Tucker?" could be played.

@lanceveeser 8m8 minutes ago
Corey Clement said when Andersen told the team he was leaving for Oregon State he thought it was a joke. One player even giggled.

Apparently Andersen didnt even tell his son who is a walk-on on the team

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
@lanceveeser 8m8 minutes ago
Corey Clement said when Andersen told the team he was leaving for Oregon State he thought it was a joke. One player even giggled.

Apparently Andersen didnt even tell his son who is a walk-on on the team

It does sound pretty hilarious, doesn't it? "leave a perennial contender to the B1G championship to go to a mid-to-bottom PAC12 team? Where do I sign?"

He must have hated Alvarez...

And those Pelini comments: I presume that what he said about Eichorst is probably true, but it sounds like total sour grapes. His us vs them mentality resulted in zero conference titles, zero major bowls, and plenty of embarrassing losses. Good riddance.

Jhriad

Rhetorical question: How many conference titles and major bowl wins does the guy who replaced him have?

Do his two Grey Cups (Canadian Super Bowl) count as equivalent to a major bowl win? Or at least winning the ACC?

The damning bit I saw in that article was this:
During his introductory press conference Wednesday in Ohio, Pelini called Tressel “a president who understands football, who’s going to support me, something I don’t know if I’ve ever had.”

So Tom Osborne, the man that hired you and has shat out more football knowledge than Pelini managed to get out between expletives, wasn't supporting you? I'm suddenly even more elated that this immature jackass is gone.

Just listened to Pelini's entire rant. Sure sounded like he was not so subtly trying to convince his former players to get the fuck out of Nebraska. At the time, Pelini didn't know he was going to coach at Youngstown St. so its not a violation, but still pretty slimy.

$8 million a year to lose consistently to Ohio State seems like a bad deal, no?

Honestly though, anyone good enough to be a Michigan Man is going to cost a huge pile of cash and if they don't get someone decent they are going to start losing to Pedo State and Minnesota regularly on top of the near-autoloss to MSU and OSU.

Anderson's departure from UW couldn't have been more night and day in the way he handled it from how he left Utah State. He wanted out , and he wanted out bad. Part of it was the expectations that were set for him at UW and likely reinforced on him by the fans/boosters/Alvarez, but I think he also wanted to move back out West (no joke-Madison to Corvalis was likely a massive upgrade given his history) and be in a program where the expectations are a little less crazy.

Lonestar

Just listened to Pelini's entire rant. Sure sounded like he was not so subtly trying to convince his former players to get the fuck out of Nebraska. At the time, Pelini didn't know he was going to coach at Youngstown St. so its not a violation, but still pretty slimy.

audio is out there, and no link???

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
Rhetorical question: How many conference titles and major bowl wins does the guy who replaced him have?

Doesn't matter to me in the slightest. Bo was given 7 years and all I can remember was collapse after collapse. Close losses like against MSU this year were a rarity. More frequently, they were of the Wisconsin/UCLA/Ohio St blowout variety.

venne

So Tom Osborne, the man that hired you and has shat out more football knowledge than Pelini managed to get out between expletives, wasn't supporting you? I'm suddenly even more elated that this immature jackass is gone.

Osborne was the university's Athletic Director. He specifically called out the presidents.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!

FyreWulff

Pederson is hired, fires Solich, hires Callahan
Osborne appointed, fires Callahan, hires Pelini
Osborne steps down, Eichorst is hired, fires Pelini, hires Riley
Eichorst is fired, ____ is hired, _____ fires Riley and hires ____

I think these days it's just more obviously run like corporation, and new guys want to bring in their own management.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
Pederson is hired, fires Solich, hires Callahan
Osborne appointed, fires Callahan, hires Pelini
Osborne steps down, Eichorst is hired, fires Pelini, hires Riley
Eichorst is fired, ____ is hired, _____ fires Riley and hires ____

I think these days it's just more obviously run like corporation, and new guys want to bring in their own management.

Too reductionist and revisionist.

Solich was fired for dipping his pen in the co-ed ink, Callahan was fired for running a top-3 program into the ground. Pederson was fired for sucking dick as AD. Osborne stepped down because he is an old-ass man tired of the day to day, Pelini was fired for his attitude, blowouts, and tirades.

So far, to me, there haven't been any unjustified firings, nor cronyism. Who knows what is to come, but Eichorst had proven himself to be competent in his hirings so far and Riley is at worst a lateral move from a 30,000 foot perspective,without the meltdowns and beatdowns customary to our last 10 years of football.

Draxal

Too reductionist and revisionist.

Solich was fired for dipping his pen in the co-ed ink, Callahan was fired for running a top-3 program into the ground. Pederson was fired for sucking dick as AD. Osborne stepped down because he is an old-ass man tired of the day to day, Pelini was fired for his attitude, blowouts, and tirades.

So far, to me, there haven't been any unjustified firings, nor cronyism. Who knows what is to come, but Eichorst had proven himself to be competent in his hirings so far and Riley is at worst a lateral move from a 30,000 foot perspective,without the meltdowns and beatdowns customary to our last 10 years of football.

Pederson was just fired at Pitt for ruining that department, some of the rumors I heard about Pelini's staff seemed to be in line with Solich's issues fwiw.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
I'm hearing that Terry Bowden is a serious option for Michigan if Harbaugh falls through.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom