• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football Playoff Thread | Setting A Daggerous Precedent

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cheapshot for sure, but there was one before this that started it.
I didn't watch any of the game. Just saw the vine pop up on twitter. As perfectchaos pointed out, I'm sure the whole thing will get some play on Sportscenter tonight for anyone that's interested in what happened.

Yikes. Given the strict code of conduct at BYU, I imagine a poignant PR statement from the AD/Dean will be released form the school saying "We're sorry, this is not how our student athletes should act, blah blah blah" well you get the idea.

Memphis I'm sure is just as guilty in the scuffle, but I'm sure BYU kids are held to a higher standard of conduct. They can't even have sex until married or they face expulsion!

edit: Both of these team's hypothetical Big 12 invites have been rescinded indefinitely.

Jeff-DSA

Memphis players threw the first two punches. You can take one and stay chill, but if they swing again, time to give them a beat down.

Jeff-DSA

Fuck that, nothing justifies a sucker punch from behind.

I said it on Twitter, but I'll say it here. Kai Nacua should receive a heavy-handed punishment from BYU. He's probably going to be dismissed from the team, possibly expelled from the school. I wouldn't argue to see him get a pass.

bachikarn

UDub fans, what did you guys think of Nussmeier when he was there? There is some buzz he might be our OC due to his connection to McElwain. He did well at Bama IMO, but some Bama fans think he basically got fired. Did he call plays at UW?

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
UDub fans, what did you guys think of Nussmeier when he was there? There is some buzz he might be our OC due to his connection to McElwain. He did well at Bama IMO, but some Bama fans think he basically got fired. Did he call plays at UW?
Some? It's not even a secret that Saban told him to find another job.

cdyhybrid

Sark called plays. Our offense was good while he was here, but hard to say how much of that was him.

He did turn Jake Locker into a functional QB though.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Some? It's not even a secret that Saban told him to find another job.

Yeah, when a coach brings in Lane Kiffikens before the bowl game to "go over" what went wrong and how things could improve, you know the jig is up.

mre

But I don't get why? His offenses were ranked high at Bama, and he got a pay raise at Michigan, which typically doesn't happen to a guy who gets fired.
He wasn't "fired" in the sense that he no longer had a job, but when your boss suggests that you go look for another job, it's the same thing.

Here's a summary of what Bama Online posted when it all went down last year: http://www.reddit.com/r/CFB/comments/1ut72r/saban_nussmeier_relationship_bad_fit_during_games/
Basically, Nick Saban and other members of the staff greatly respected Nussmeier's football IQ and offensive schemes. However, Nick Saban during games can get extraordinarily heated and constantly question playcalls. Kirby Smart, Jimbo Fischer, and Jim McElwain could handle this well; Doug Nussmeier not so much. Nussmeier was unable to read and relate to Saban during games causing them to not be on the same page during intense moments. The departure was mutual and there is no "bad-blood" between him and Saban or anyone else on the staff.
I mean, Kiffin was hired literally two days after Nussmeier left. Saban clearly had him lined up waiting for Nussmeier to land somewhere.

bachikarn

He wasn't "fired" in the sense that he no longer had a job, but when your boss suggests that you go look for another job, it's the same thing.

Here's a summary of what Bama Online posted when it all went down last year: http://www.reddit.com/r/CFB/comments/1ut72r/saban_nussmeier_relationship_bad_fit_during_games/

I mean, Kiffin was hired literally two days after Nussmeier left. Saban clearly had him lined up waiting for Nussmeier to land somewhere.

Fair enough. When I heard he got fired, I assumed that meant he wasn't doing well when it seems more like a difference in personalities.

I know you didn't ask a Michigan fan's opinion and that was smart because he was terrible this year.

I didn't think you could get worse than Al Borges, but it turns out you can.

Chumly

Depends on what happened first, he had a huge gash under his eye.. it could have actually been "retaliation" . A lame one.. but still.

Uh retaliation is reacting to someone punching you. That dude straight up bitch sucker punched someone. Completely uncalled for. Just because he got a gash due to the huge melee doesn't mean you do that sucker punch.

BYU started the whole thing. Then they had to end it with the sucker punch. What a bunch of sore losers.

mre

I just hope this is things to come, he has been a major disappointment thus far. Really hope he turned the corner tonight.
Hasn't he largely been behind 2 10+ year veterans? I know you guys drafted another CB in the first or second round last year who has played more minutes than Dre, but it doesn't really seem as if CB has been a position where you needed young guys to come in and take over immediately. I'll admit to not following the pros very much.

This dude from the NFL thread has a right to cry

I want to cry.

xm8Dhs0.png

That .1 is the difference of over $500

seanoff

Just watched that brawl on espn. The no53 from memphis needs to be banned from football forever. He was sucker kicking a guy on the ground.

Same with 12 from byu.

Sorry bucknut, but fuck the Bungals.

Shit-talking Bungals fans everywhere. I had to remind a couple of them that despite their supposed success in recent years, the Browns have won a playoff game more recently than Cincy.

Shit-talking Bungals fans everywhere. I had to remind a couple of them that despite their supposed success in recent years, the Browns have won a playoff game more recently than Cincy.

I will admit bengals fans are some of the worst fans in the NFL. I havent seen a bengals playoff win in my lifetime, i just want one. :(

andycapps

When Browns fans can shit talk your team you know your record in the postseason sucks.

diehard

Fleer
Uh retaliation is reacting to someone punching you. That dude straight up bitch sucker punched someone. Completely uncalled for. Just because he got a gash due to the huge melee doesn't mean you do that sucker punch.

BYU started the whole thing. Then they had to end it with the sucker punch. What a bunch of sore losers.

I was referring to retaliation in the eyes of a judge.

BYU started the whole thing if you think an appropriate reaction to a shove is 3 guys beating a dude on the ground (with helmet swing and kicking included).

Not that who started it even matters.

Bronco Mendenhall has been a good coach, a defensive genius that for some reason gave up coordinator duties this year. At this point im kinda hoping he leaves and we can get Sitake from Utah. Taysom is back next year but who cares if our defense is a dumpster fire?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom