• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football Playoff Thread | Setting A Daggerous Precedent

Status
Not open for further replies.

ag-my001

For use in the next Aggy disaster:

fkc74.gif
No more excuses about those letters being too hard to light up.

Meier

As tweeted by Jameis' lawyer:

Screen_Shot_2014-12-21_at_4.38.44_PM.0.png

This hearing was oversaw by a retired FL supreme court justice with no ties at all to FSU. Hopefully this puts this to bed.. it won't, but it should.

clearly TTK is a corrupt gamemaster who sold the integrity of his game to people such as xeris and yourself for 30 shekels of silver.

I'm still waiting on that payment! these guys aren't trustworthy. I held up my end of the deal!

On my work sheet that actually saved I only missed 1 yesterday. This wouldn't happen if we used ttk system instead of yahoo

*rubs hands together gleefully*

Meier

He already lost in the court of public opinion.

Unfortunately. His lawyers have always suggested this was just a shakedown -- the girl's aunt tried to get $6m out of Jameis when she was the accuser's representative. I'm sure they will probably go ahead with a civil suit some day in the future because why not.

It definitely has implications on his future earnings. Look at Roethlisberger, he has 0 sponsorship deals since his legal troubles and accusations.

Meier

Maybe if they'd investigated in the first place instead of trying to sweep it under the rug. *shrug*

The FSU police spent over a month investigating this before they even knew a football player was involved. I'm legitimately curious, did you ever read any of the findings?

The former Florida Supreme court justice said there wasn't enough evidence to satisfy the burden of proof. Considering the investigation was mishandled, of course there wouldn't be evidence that would suggest otherwise.

The FSU police spent over a month investigating this before they even knew a football player was involved. I'm legitimately curious, did you ever read any of the findings?

Everything I've read said the TPD did a terrible job investigating in the immediate aftermath of the first report. Yes, if we're to believe what we've been told, this is before they knew of Jameis Winston's involvement, though I don't assume it was before they knew (or at least suspected) involvement by a football player. If Winston is innocent -- and I certainly hope that he is -- then the TPD did him a huge disservice with their lack of due diligence. We shouldn't confuse the lack of an indictment (or the lack of finding here) with a complete exoneration, no more than we should confuse an allegation with a conviction. This is ultimately something that will follow Winston his whole life in the public eye, and if he's innocent, that's quite unfortunate and was avoidable if the TPD did their jobs.

Meier

The former Florida Supreme court justice said there wasn't enough evidence to satisfy the burden of proof. Considering the investigation was mishandled, of course there wouldn't be evidence that would suggest otherwise.

The burden of proof is significantly lower in this instance than in anything involving the courts. This Fox Sports story outlines the hearing pretty effectively: http://www.foxsports.com/college-fo...adbpr=16877611&adbsc=social_20141221_37720997

Meier

None of that answers whether you actually read the findings from the state's attorney which included the full report from FSU PD. You should probably go ahead and read the full report so you can speak with some level of authority rather than to just be able to randomly link to a story about it.

They carried out an investigation for over a month before it was determined it was an FSU football player. Whether or not this is more an indictment of how assault cases are reviewed is another story, but in this case, there has never been any evidence at all to support her claims and the fact a football player was involved wasn't the reason for that. Her story repeatedly changed, she was not drunk, she was not drugged, there was nothing in the rape kit that would suggest she was raped. Any markings on her body (those on her knees) were consistent with those of consensual sex.

Everything I've read said the TPD did a terrible job investigating in the immediate aftermath of the first report. Yes, if we're to believe what we've been told, this is before they knew of Jameis Winston's involvement, though I don't assume it was before they knew (or at least suspected) involvement by a football player. If Winston is innocent -- and I certainly hope that he is -- then the TPD did him a huge disservice with their lack of due diligence. We shouldn't confuse the lack of an indictment (or the lack of finding here) with a complete exoneration, no more than we should confuse an allegation with a conviction. This is ultimately something that will follow Winston his whole life in the public eye, and if he's innocent, that's quite unfortunate and was avoidable if the TPD did their jobs.

Pretty much. And I think a lot of people may have concluded the TPD's extreme incompetence can be reasonably explained by having a biased agenda to protect their local superstar. In otherwords, they believe the TPD knew Jameis was guilty, so they botched the investigation as badly as they did. The public's negative perception of police departments as being susceptible of corruption certainly doesn't help Jameis' cause. At the very least, this case has always seemed fishy in so many ways, and it could have been avoided if the TPD just handled it properly.

Branduil

The only thing against the rules at FSU is accusing the star QB of breaking the rules. In that case you're a money-chasing whore, obviously.

Jameis Winston is a spotless publix citizen who has never given any reason to doubt his character. His crabby haters don't have a leg to stand on.

Meier

Right. That's because I obviously didn't. Why would I? Some level of authority? I don't care that much about arguing with obsessive FSU fans.

One of the quotes I cited makes it clear that this isn't the case. Or rather, that "carried out an investigation" is an exaggeration.

That's a shame -- I'd like to think that you or Branduil or whomever who make no bones about trying to continue to drag someone through the mud would do some thorough research to back up your claims. That seems like someone who is a moderator should do.

Nothing in what you quoted makes it clear that wasn't the case. The first part is in reference to things that happened 11 months after the case (10 months after it was determined Jameis was accused). The others are again as much as 5 weeks after the case had started and stalled due to a lack of evidence and according to the police, a lack of cooperation.

That's a shame -- I'd like to think that you or Branduil or whomever who make no bones about trying to continue to drag someone through the mud would do some thorough research to back up your claims. That seems like someone who is a moderator should do.

I think there's a wide gulf between Cyan, or anyone else, and Branduil.

cdyhybrid

I'm pretty sure he raped her. I mean, he's gotta do something while he's not shouting obscenities in public, shooting random people with BB guns, stealing crab legs, or shaving points in a football game.

Meier

Have you read every single one of my posts where I've ever mentioned Jameis or FSU? If not, you should do that research before you make any claims about my posts. Enjoy!

Edit: Ten minutes of searching wasn't enough to find an online copy of any official findings. ¯_(ツ)_/¯
I'm not a representative of the website. There's less of a burden on me as there is on you. With that being said, I've read the vast majority your posts on this topic for over a year now.

Here you go, by the way: http://cdn1.sbnation.com/assets/3679987/tpd-documents.pdf

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
speaking of police report:
“@KeithMcSheaBN: Former @sjci standout & Ole Miss signee Chad Kelly arrested in scuffle w/police. w/@JoePops44."

Kelly continued to fight with two bouncers and stated "I'm going to go to my car and get my AK-47 and spray this place".

Bet they properly investigate this event.

Piggus

I have a ticket secured for the championship if we beat FSU, but I can't decide if I should take the risk and get a plane ticket now or wait until the 1st. It's a risk either way. :(

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
I have a ticket secured for the championship if we beat FSU, but I can't decide if I should take the risk and get a plane ticket now or wait until the 1st. It's a risk either way. :(
Pay the extra small fee to be able to cancel it?

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth

You should totally buy the ticket now. And don't pay the extra fee to be able to cancel it. That isn't a jinx, I swear!

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
The airlines know wassup and the "small fee" is like $350. But I may be able to use that "fare locker" thing that just reserves the fare a week for about $20.
jesuschrist.

In unrelated, "be ashamed of your university news," it appears as if we're going to make room for Jonathan Taylor in this year's signing class. :|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom