• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football Playoff Thread | Setting A Daggerous Precedent

Status
Not open for further replies.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
It weird that I have a higher tolerance of people that understand (the basics) of US college athletics and have a skewed agenda against it then the ones who have zero idea about how it works or what it is but jump to conclusions about it anyway. They sound like morons.
Anyone who wants to say that all students or even most students don't take college seriously because of the emphasis of sports doesn't know what they are talking about.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
It weird that I have a higher tolerance of people that understand (the basics) of US college athletics and have a skewed agenda against it then the ones who have zero idea about how it works or what it is but jump to conclusions about it anyway. They sound like morons.
Anyone who wants to say that all students or even most students don't take college seriously because of the emphasis of sports doesn't know what they are talking about.
It's ridiculous. The only thing that gives me hope is that these people tend to be too socially inept to ever rise to a position of power to actually try to enforce their vision of universities.

It's ridiculous. The only thing that gives me hope is that these people tend to be too socially inept to ever rise to a position of power to actually try to enforce their vision of universities.

They won't because universities are businesses and football brings in donor dollars. You won't believe how much my father in law was gushing about the opportunity to stand on the field by Les Miles before an LSU game. It literally costs the university nothing to do that and he probably writes them a big check this year.

Draxal

Ivory Tower syndrome, it's the rage up by the academia up here in the NE.

Anyway on Rutgers joining the Big Ten.

He was optimistic about the number of college applications that Rutgers has received, which has recently increased by 14 percent in New Jersey and 18 percent overall.

The University is seeing the largest out-of-state application increases from the Midwest, which Barchi attributes to the high visibility of the athletics teams.

mre

By the way, I love that Forbes article I keep citing in those threads. I don't think I've ever gotten a single response to it.

JCX

Linked to it here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=145109584&postcount=298

It discusses all of the ancillary benefits the university has received as a result of Nick Saban and the UA football team.

Seems similar to what JoePa's success did for Penn State. Winning football school increases visibility, attracts more students, then the university uses those dollars to reinvest in the university and its program, both academic and athletic.

In a way sports programs are big marketing arms for their universities (when the AD is profitable).

Lunar15

I was gone for the holidays, so I didn't get a chance to grouse about Nussmeier. I guess the whole idea is that he did well with McElwain's recruits... but looking at Michigan I can't say I'm too excited. Hopefully that's more Michigan being dumpster fire status than his ability... it's kind of like Roper's situation here at UF.

Draxal

Seems similar to what JoePa's success did for Penn State. Winning football school increases visibility, attracts more students, then the university uses those dollars to reinvest in the university and its program, both academic and athletic.

In a way sports programs are big marketing arms for their universities (when the AD is profitable).

Like I posted earlier, out of state applications spiked by 18% for Rutgers due to joining the Big Ten (with the Midwest driving the charge).

I was gone for the holidays, so I didn't get a chance to grouse about Nussmeier. I guess the whole idea is that he did well with McElwain's recruits... but looking at Michigan I can't say I'm too excited. Hopefully that's more Michigan being dumpster fire status than his ability... it's kind of like Roper's situation here at UF.

Most Michigan fans blamed Hoke & Funk for that shitstorm, not Nuss. I would throw last season out if you want to gauge his resume, personally.

Lunar15

Most Michigan fans blamed Hoke & Funk for that shitstorm, not Nuss. I would throw last season out if you want to gauge his resume, personally.

Hopefully that's the case. I heard some weird stuff about Alabama players saying they liked Kiffin's schemes more, but who knows if that's true.

bachikarn

I don't think it really matters. The offense will still be McElwain's and Nuss will be running it. The two apparently know each other pretty well so they should be able to work well together and have good staff chemistry. Some of the issues with Muschamp is that the staff he assembled would get into fights a lot.

Lunar15

I don't think it really matters. The offense will still be McElwain's and Nuss will be running it. The two apparently know each other pretty well so they should be able to work well together and have good staff chemistry. Some of the issues with Muschamp is that the staff he assembled would get into fights a lot.

We'll see. I was just hoping for something more exciting, I guess. Oh well, I like the defensive coach we picked. He sounds fun, and he'll be getting a good returning class to work with.

mre

As long as the sports teams are successful, they can still be beneficial to their university even if they're run at a deficit. Sticking with Bama, even if you assume that only half of the increased out of state enrollment can be attributed to on-the-field success, the AD would have to operate at a ~$25m deficit to negate that specific benefit.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Linked to it here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=145109584&postcount=298

It discusses all of the ancillary benefits the university has received as a result of Nick Saban and the UA football team.

Its why Coach K will always be worth whatever ridiculous amount Duke wants to pay him, he brings a shitload of benefits to the university.

EDIT: So on the opposite end of the Jeff Driskel rumor, supposedly Braxton Miller is looking to transfer and Duke is on his list as well. I would love to see an athlete of that caliber play for us. Meyer let us have Cash, why not Miller too?

Draxal

By the way, I love that Forbes article I keep citing in those threads. I don't think I've ever gotten a single response to it.

I actually have another Forbes article.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/hbswork...athletic-success-boosts-college-applications/

The Flutie effect.

Key highlight.

Even students with high SAT scores are significantly affected by athletic success—one of the biggest surprises from the research, Chung says.
Schools become more academically selective with athletic success.

bachikarn

Its why Coach K will always be worth whatever ridiculous amount Duke wants to pay him, he brings a shitload of benefits to the university.

EDIT: So on the opposite end of the Jeff Driskel rumor, supposedly Braxton Miller is looking to transfer and Duke is on his list as well. I would love to see an athlete of that caliber play for us. Meyer let us have Cash, why not Miller too?

I'm pretty sure Driskel is a better athlete. The year they both came out of HS, Driskel was #1 and Miller was #2, and both their rankings were based on athleticism/potential. I wouldn't be surprised if Miller's college career is basically what Driskel's would have been if Meyer stayed at Florida. Ton of running + some good passing games every now and then.

I actually have another Forbes article.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/hbswork...athletic-success-boosts-college-applications/

The Flutie effect.

Key highlight.

Look at USC under Pete Carroll for another example. The school was on the rise academically before him but admission standards sky rocketed after they won a MNC. It was also the period of highest academic donations in school history. It's probably not all related but there is some correlation.

CFB GAF - anyone going to make it to Pasadena? I'm part of some righteous tailgates and would love to say hey.

I could be convinced to drive east for free booze ;)

Nailed it

B6B0r0SCYAADZCK.jpg

Hold the phone:

@RapSheet 19m19 minutes ago
.@MikeSilver says #Raiders owner Mark Davis is planning to speak with Jim Harbaugh this morning.

I can only assume SF let him go for free because they thought he was going back to college. So if he winds up with any NFL team it will be hilarious.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
They still own his NFL rights I believe i was reading somehwere, at least until it runs out or they trade them or something.

I believe he would have to pay a buyout ($3-5 million, I think) to go to an NFL team, but other than that I think he can go to any NFL team he wants.

Under most similar situations the coach would be at the team's mercy, but in this specific case the two sides were so sick of each other that they are both essentially waiving a lot of the rights they technically have (eg he wasn't technically fired so they don't pay an auto buyout to him, he didn't technically resign so he doesn't pay an auto buyout to them, etc.). I wouldn't be totally shocked if even the buyout was now gone due to the way they agreed on a clean break, but if nothing else I think the other restrictions that would normally come along with him leaving before his contract was officially up (eg needing to be traded) are either null now or are going to be ignored.

Draxal

@GottliebShow: Jim Delaney added Jim Harbaugh to #B1G... Have heard from reputable source he thinks new TV deal will be $50m per school avg- not kidding

Harbaugh/Meyer is actually must see TV imho.

@GottliebShow: Jim Delaney added Jim Harbaugh to #B1G... Have heard from reputable source he thinks new TV deal will be $50m per school avg- not kidding

Harbaugh/Meyer is actually must see TV imho.

No way isnt must watch, you have the giant rivalry angle plus arguably two of the most hated/disliked coaches in football. People will be tuning in big time, OSU/UM to be night game confirmed within 3 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom