• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football Playoff Thread | Setting A Daggerous Precedent

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingGondo

Banned
They need 2 teams, and they wanted to expand but Dodds blocked it. Of course since Texas is not Texas, it doesn't really matter to Dodds at all. I still think it's insane that FSU got jumped as well, so I think the ACC should be just as livid.
1. It isn't insane. Anyone with eyeballs or a basic understanding of stats can tell that FSU isn't a dominant team. If they beat Oregon then Bama/MCU, then I'll crown their asses. Until then, consider me skeptical.

2. They got in, which is all that really matters. I'd say they were rewarded rather handsomely for getting passed over by Bama and Oregon. A trip to Pasadena sounds nice.

3. Why would the ACC be as mad as the Big 12 when they got a team in?

5 undefeated teams is just a useful method for describing the issue, it's not supposed to necessarily be an example of something that is likely. We may not ever have 5 undefeated teams competing for 4 spots, but this very season we had 5 one loss teams competing for 3 spots, and that's only a stone's throw away. Pretty much all the things that happen in the hypothetical "5 undefeated teams" scenarios that people throw around actually happened yesterday.

Honestly? My cold-hearted knee-jerk response is give me undefeated P5 teams and then pick from the 1 loss tier in whatever order seems reasonable, without placing undue emphasis on pageantry and ceremony (such as a 13th game or a conference championship), as those things are just fluff. If a team is left out, tough cookies, they lost a game and, with it, their ability to complain. If and when all power conferences produce an undefeated team, we will have a crisis which will naturally be solved by leaving out Baylor again.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
Nebraska only had one state school system. Even though there are a couple that play football at some level or another (and are typically fairly successful in their own regard) but the Nebraska school I went to (and never graduated from) is UN-Omaha, whose dII football and national championship wrestling programs were gutted a few years back.

That said, everyone in Nebraska outside of felons, inbreds, and foreigners are Nebraska fans by birthright, especially any of those that grew up during the glory years. I can count the number of people I know who aren't Nebraska fans I know in the state on two hands.

Oh, and I am a Mormon.

Balphon

Committee: We put EMPHASIS on championship games. It's probably in your best interest to play a championship game.

Alabama: OK
Oregon: OK
FSU: OK
Ohio State: OK
TCU/Baylor: No

*playoff rankings released*

You: I'm going to put emphasis on OTHER things.

I wouldn't hang my hat on the consistency of the committee's messaging from week to week.

But you are certainly right that the Big 12's equivocation on naming a champion and their lack of a CCG hurt TCU and Baylor. Still, that just means they were screwed by both circumstance and their conference commissioner's office. I will still contend that these three teams presented more or less equally compelling cases for a playoff spot.

I will readily admit that I believe conference championships are an asinine metric for assigning these kinds of postseason bids, but that's irrelevant. I think the national cachet of Ohio State benefited it far more than the fact that it won the Big 10. On that, we'll have to agree to disagree, because who the fuck really knows what the committee is thinking anyway.

I still think it's insane that FSU got jumped as well, so I think the ACC should be just as livid.

Wat?

On a neutral field FSU would be beaten by any other of the current top 10 teams. It is lucky they remained undefeated.

Watch them get smashed in the semi final.

Current top 10:
1 Alabama
2 Oregon
3 Florida State
4 Ohio State
5 Baylor
6 TCU
7 Mississippi State
8 Michigan State
9 Ole Miss
10 Arizona

It is an actual requirement that you need 12 teams to have a CCG. I believe it is also a requirement once you have 12 teams that the conference be split into divisions and the winners of each division face each other in the CCG, as I heard that the ACC may be trying to challenge that as they want to get rid of divisions and just have a CCG between the two best teams, but I don't know how reliable that information was.

Cheers. Stupid requirement. Should just be allowed to do whatever the conference wants to do regarding their structure and a championship game.

Honestly? My cold-hearted knee-jerk response is give me undefeated P5 teams and then pick from the 1 loss tier in whatever order seems reasonable, without placing undue emphasis on pageantry and ceremony (such as a 13th game or a conference championship), as those things are just fluff. If a team is left out, tough cookies, they lost a game and, with it, their ability to complain. If and when all power conferences produce an undefeated team, we will have a crisis which will naturally be solved by leaving out Baylor again.

if that happens, have the 4 and 5 seeds in a play-in game

:p

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
What does that matter? In that year, 5 power teams weren't good enough to make the top 6. And if only a power team can play for a title, then the entire ranking is a complete farce.
Did you pay attention to where the committee was ranking unbeaten Marshall?

Of course, it's entirely possible that, had Marshall remained unbeaten, the committee would have jumped them from 15 to 1st this week.

Kacar

My parents were from Youngstown and both went to YSU. They both dropped out when my dad got a job. They relocated him To Galltin, TN(like 40 minuts north of Nashville) a year before I was born.

I currently go to UT-Knoxville and am a senior. I applied and was accepted to OSU but my parents said they couldn't help me so I went here, all the rest of my siblings went to MTSU.

But we are all OSU fans, I didn't realize till I grew up that the only reason that my oldest brothers were titans fans was cause of Eddie, my dad called them traitors.

Draxal

1. It isn't insane. Anyone with eyeballs or a basic understanding of stats can tell that FSU isn't a dominant team. If they beat Oregon then Bama/MCU, then I'll crown their asses. Until then, consider me skeptical.

2. They got in, which is all that really matters. I'd say they were rewarded rather handsomely for getting passed over by Bama and Oregon. A trip to Pasadena sounds nice.

3. Why would the ACC be as mad as the Big 12 when they got a team in?

They haven't lost, which is insanely difficult, tOSU if it was to play that Vtech game again would murder them 100-0, but on that one day Vtech was better than tOSU.

By getting passed by Oregon and Bama, basically says a one loss FSU would have not gotten into the playoffs.

MIMIC

Banned
I do. UCF for undergrad, LSU for grad school. Never got the whole SECSECSEC pride thing, you'll never catch me rooting for my rivals.

I rooted for Michigan that time they played Florida....as did a bunch of my friends. I think there was an unspoken exception that year :)

They haven't lost, which is insanely difficult, tOSU if it was to play that Vtech game again would murder them 100-0, but on that one day Vtech was better than tOSU.

By getting passed by Oregon and Bama, basically says a one loss FSU would have not gotten into the playoffs.

Kenny Hill had a pretty dominant performance his first game too. We don't know if Cardale Jones is better than Braxton with just one game of data. And Ohio State was down in the 4th quarter to Indiana, were down in the 3rd? quarter to Michigan, 2 OT's vs. Penn State etc. so I wouldn't be so sure that Ohio State would dominate VT or any team. tOSU just happened to play the best game of the year against Wisconsin, and more than likely they will be rudely brought back down to Earth against Bama

KingGondo

Banned
What FSU did this year is distinctly different than what they did last year. They dominated almost every game last season, which is difficult. They won every game this year (by very close margins), which is lucky.

Which would have been the correct result.

They barely beat a bunch of nobodies.

jjasper

I went to Tennessee for 9 years. 2 different campuses and a 4 year gap in there. Starting when we were good at football finished at the bottom. Pretty much the anti Drake.

I do. UCF for undergrad, LSU for grad school. Never got the whole SECSECSEC pride thing, you'll never catch me rooting for my rivals.

I'm ACC!ACC!, as the better the conference looks, the better my own team is viewed. At the moment, the ACC is viewed poorly, which helped an undefeated Florida State get jumped by several teams this season, so I need these wretches to step their game up at every opportunity, particularly in games against the SEC.

Of course, North Carolina and Miami can each go 0-12.

Draxal

Kenny Hill had a pretty dominant performance his first game too. We don't know if Cardale Jones is better than Braxton with just one game of data. And Ohio State was down in the 4th quarter to Indiana, were down in the 3rd? quarter to Michigan, 2 OT's vs. Penn State etc. so I wouldn't be so sure that Ohio State would dominate VT or any team. tOSU just happened to play the best game of the year against Wisconsin, and more than likely they will be rudely brought back down to Earth against Bama

Vtech had their entire team go on IR, they aren't the same team that won in Columbus.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!

Maybe, maybe not. After all, it isn't like Alabama looked great in all of their games, especially a couple against downright average teams. I believe, based on what I have seen of both teams through many games this season, is that both teams have roughly an equal shot, with Alabama having a slight edge due to health and experience. This isn't going to be some crazy blowout, you can book that and tag me if it is.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion

with my patented metric of "Difference between Scoring Offense and Scoring Defense", FSU's 11.8 points a game is about the same as 2010 Florida State, who went 10-4.

2014 FSU's scoring buddies are 11.9 Georgia Tech, 11.9 Duke, 11.7 Arkansas, 11.5 East Carolina.

But it is better than 11.2 LSU, 11.3 USCw and 9.7 Auburn.

see here

True story: Florida State suspended all their players for all the first halves of every game. To keep up appearances, they put them on the field with the simple instruction to do everything wrong.

Given that the ACC was so bad, even doing everything wrong sometimes wasn't enough to not have the lead at half-time.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
They need 2 teams, and they wanted to expand but Dodds blocked it. Of course since Texas is not Texas and not in the playoff chase, it doesn't really matter to Dodds at all. I still think it's insane that FSU got jumped as well, so I think the ACC should be just as livid.

Also he isn't our AD anymore.

In any event, the Big 12 already had to reach with TCU as a team to add.

We probably should have made moves on ACC teams when it looked like they were falling apart, but BYU won't play on Sundays ever so they can't join.. and who are we going to add?

Boise? UCF?

Draxal

We probably should have made moves on ACC teams when it looked like they were falling apart, but BYU won't play on Sundays ever so they can't join.. and who are we going to add?

Boise? UCF?

Cinci and Ville when you guys got WVU. Getting WVU by itself was such a colossal mistake. Now, Cinci/BYU since the other b12 fans think you can work around the Sunday thing.

We had a page long thread about expansion when the B12 got locked out, and I'm pretty sure every b12it wanted BYU.

Dodds was the the single guy against expansion, as I'm pretty sure Okie wanted it. Texas doesn't give a fuck because they can get into whatever conference they want if the B12 falls apart.

mre

Boise? UCF?
Nah, you'd have to stretch towards WVU with some questionable schools. Cincinnati and Memphis would probably be your best choices. UCF or ECU as well? Marshall, perhaps? But that doesn't get you anything WVU isn't already bringing.

I don't get the people throwing out SMU when this topic comes up. You want to grow your TV footprint, and SMU isn't doing that.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
quick, how many people here actually went to the university they root for :p

I did.

I went to the school I root for, after which I was a double agent at The School That Shall Not Be Named for three treacherous years.

What does this mean exactly? Can't tell if this means you started at OSU but finished at OU, or you did undergrad at OSU and a graduate degree at OSU, or something else.

mre

I did.

What does this mean exactly? Can't tell if this means you started at OSU but finished at OU, or you did undergrad at OSU and a graduate degree at OSU, or something else.
He has a law degree from BOOMER...

Draxal

There's no chance of Boise getting into the B12, WVU is facing a huge issue due to the non revenue teams getting screwed, by getting Boise you're just getting another WVU.

Karl2177

After all the games have been played I think the committee got the final 4 right.

I actually think the least deserving out of the top 6 is FSU. In no universe are they one of the best 4 teams in the country.

Think about how underwhelming you have to be to justifiably be #3 when you go 13-0 (a season after going 14-0 to win a national title).
I like the distinction between Final 4 and Best 4. If the point of the playoff is to find the best team, it seems silly to me that only 4 teams are accepted on arbitrary reasons. I'd say that TCU and Baylor have strong cases to beat any one of the 4 selected, while Sparty and MiddyR State have good dark horse chances on a neutral field.

I'm currently going to school at the school I root for. My team just knows how to keep teams from going to the championship.

I went to the school I root for, after which I was a double agent at The School That Shall Not Be Named for three treacherous years.
Oh, you.

It doesn't matter who the B12 gets as long as they get two schools to hit 12.

No one out there is going to drastically improve the TV contract, and no one from another P5 conference is going to want to jump to the weakest P5 conference. Expansion is necessary for the simple fact that they need to have a championship game or else they'll continue getting shut out of the playoff picture.

So if SMU is the choice, it's not going to be any different than choosing Boise.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Hey, Alabama got a commitment from a former Florida commitment.

Adonis Thomas. Dude's name is Adonis.

Apparently, only 3 invites to NYC for the Mariota Award.

Amari Cooper
Melvin Gordon
Marcus Mariota

Here's hoping for 2nd place.

KingGondo

Banned
I wouldn't trust a law degree from an institution that's romanticizes a bunch of people who broke the law.

I do wonder if they have a class called "The Legality and Ethics of Dirt Burgling."
Spoiler alert re: land theft after being forced to sit through that class:
they're FOR IT.

Also:
@GeorgeSchroeder: .@Barry_Switzer says Okla State team buses stopped at his house adjacent to OU campus Saturday after win, sounded long horn blast. #Bedlam
:)

Hey, Alabama got a commitment from a former Florida commitment.

Adonis Thomas. Dude's name is Adonis.

Apparently, only 3 invites to NYC for the Mariota Award.

Amari Cooper
Melvin Gordon
Marcus Mariota

Here's hoping for 2nd place.

Congrats to Marcus Mariota on his Heisman because we all know a WR and a non USC/Alabama RB can't win it.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!

I personally didn't attend FSU but a lot of relatives on my father's side went there, and I still vividly recall the days of rolling up to Doak Campbell and the University shop to bask in Seminole glory between the ages of 10-15, which coincided with FSU's epic 90s decade. Hell, I can still remember the seats I sat in when I went to a FSU basketball game to watch Charlie Ward play. That's why it's so nice to see Jameis and Jimbo bringing FSU back to the top at the same time they usher in a level of integrity and professionalism not seen since those halcyon Charlie Ward days! ;)

mre

I personally didn't attend FSU but a lot of relatives on my father's side went there, and I still vividly recall the days of rolling up to Doak Campbell and the University shop to bask in Seminole glory between the ages of 10-15, which coincided with FSU's epic 90s decade. Hell, I can still remember the seats I sat in when I went to a FSU basketball game to watch Charlie Ward play. That's why it's so nice to see Jameis and Jimbo bringing FSU back to the top at the same time they usher in a level of integrity and professionalism not seen since those halcyon Charlie Ward days! ;)
Tag quote.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
I started at UNC-Charlotte (3 semesters) and finished at UNC-Greensboro. (Charlotte only recently started a football program and will move into Conference USA next season after playing these last two years as a FCS independent. Greensboro does not have a football program.)

In North Carolina, you choose rooting interests as you're exiting the womb. You have to fill out a form prior to leaving the hospital that first time. College attending decisions come much later.

Especially in the 80s when ACC basketball was religion and really entertaining to watch. My dad was a Pensacola native who graduated from Samford pharmacy school and worshipped the Bear. Up in NC, college football didn't have the widespread impact that it does now. Sure, 3rd Saturday in October and the Iron Bowl at Legion Field were always on tv, but they never displaced ACC basketball. I had two family members, an uncle and a step father who went to Duke so that was as good as any reason to root for them.

Interestingly though, once I graduated from UNC-Greensboro from the school of broadcast and cinema, I considered pursuing a masters in media theory, and the closest school at the time that offered one was Alabama. Decided to get married and have a job instead. Still would have been a Duke fan first but it would have been fun to have my dad come down on any weekend he was free and go to a game. We sort of do that now though, even if its just one game at BD

Big XII indecision and stubbornness reminds me of the Big East before they were forced to invite TCU and eventually the rest of the teams they brought in after they got gutted.

All of the other major conferences are at 12-14 schools and they're clinging to 10. And we all know they almost imploded a couple of years ago.

At this point, it is clear they will have to go undefeated to have a shot. Or basically scoreboard watch the other conferences hoping for an upset in their CCGs.

I understand they are possibly concerned with upsets of their own knocking their team out, but at least it's something in their own control. And the argument can be if you want to be in the top 4 in the country, then you shouldn't be losing your CCG.

I also understand their TV contract is setup in a way that allows them to add teams without affecting the per team payout. I guess their only money argument is that bowl payouts get split more.

Edit: And I did undergrad at UCF. Northeastern is my grad school. But they don't field a football team.

Especially in the 80s when ACC basketball was religion and really entertaining to watch. My dad was a Pensacola native who graduated from Samford pharmacy school and worshipped the Bear. Up in NC, college football didn't have the widespread impact that it does now. Sure, 3rd Saturday in October and the Iron Bowl at Legion Field were always on tv, but they never displaced ACC basketball. I had two family members, an uncle and a step father who went to Duke so that was as good as any reason to root for them.

Interestingly though, once I graduated from UNC-Greensboro from the school of broadcast and cinema, I considered pursuing a masters in media theory, and the closest school at the time that offered one was Alabama. Decided to get married and have a job instead. Still would have been a Duke fan first but it would have been fun to have my dad come down on any weekend he was free and go to a game. We sort of do that now though, even if its just one game at BD

Yeah, North Carolina is a basketball state, through and through. And fortunately for me, my family's rooting interests didn't rub off. My parents and brother are all Carolina fans! The horror!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom