• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football Playoff Thread | Setting A Daggerous Precedent

Status
Not open for further replies.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
I didn't go to U of O. ;)
99bfwuz.gif

I've got nothing.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Out of State Fee's, brosef.
and a lackadaisical disposition

Son of Alumni, does that help?

Piggus

Shocking!

I went to... wait for it... Oregon State! I was in the same dorm as most of the football players and met James Rogers. He's an awesome guy.

And then I transferred to SOU (in my home town) because I hated the program I was in at OSU.

KingGondo

Banned
I went to the school I root for, after which I was a double agent at The School That Shall Not Be Named for three treacherous years.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
While we do have a lot of "bandwagon" fans, my family has had season tickets to Oregon games since 1985 and I've been going to home games since about the age of 3.

I picked a school based on program quality, not football team. The program I wanted to go into was much better at OSU.

So did you go to Oregon or not? because you sound like a Beaver who wants to root for a winner to me.

Balphon

I don't get how this works. How does the committee have any effect on anything outside who goes to the playoff? Are there still BCS-style requirements where teams have to be taken depending on ranking? Why is the committee involved in that at all?

The committee rankings determines who goes to the non-playoff New Years bowls after conference tie-ins are taken care of. I believe the committee sets the matchups as well. Bowl officials have no direct say.

I went to... wait for it... Oregon State! I was in the same dorm as most of the football players and met James Rogers. He's an awesome guy.

And then I transferred to SOU (in my home town) because I hated the program I was in at OSU.

HE'S A SPY!

Schmitty

So buying bowl tickets through the alumni assoc is a damn rip off. You don't even get to pick your ticket, so they can give all the good ones to high donors.

Listen, I am not paying 100+ for no idea what I'm getting.

SEC is favored in 10 out of 12 of their bowl games, as Lonestar mentioned. Want to take a guess at how many games the B1G is favored in out of 10?

zero

I don't get how this works. How does the committee have any effect on anything outside who goes to the playoff? Are there still BCS-style requirements where teams have to be taken depending on ranking? Why is the committee involved in that at all?

The committee slots the NY6 bowls, taking into consideration conference affiliations and then using the rankings. For example, the Orange Bowl takes the ACC champion or the highest rated ACC team when the champion is in the playoff on one side, and the highest ranked non-champion from either the SEC or Big Ten on the other side. The committee rankings are used for this. Then other stipulations kick in, such as when the Big Ten is facing the ACC in the Orange, the ACC gets the Big Ten's Citrus slot, and then this impacts the pecking order for other bowls in the ACC stable, and also obviously impacts the bowls for the Big Ten.

Edit: I see Balphon got here before me. But yeah, that's pretty much it.

MIMIC

Banned
quick, how many people here actually went to the university they root for :p

Me! Ohio State class of 2009

And for the record, I don't think ANY of this is fair; not everyone has an equal shot at the championship game (unless all your school cares about is a random bowl game). Let's say Alabama, Oregon, FSU, Ohio State and Baylor all go undefeated (and for all intents and purposes, lets say that Baylor has a CC game)

4 spots. 5 teams. Who gets in? And everyone makes their case.

In the end, it's all subjective and it's going to be unfair for someone at some point because the criteria to play for the national title is not 100% objective. The system is flawed from the very beginning. And until this changes, arguing about why subjective factor A is more relevant than subjective factor B, C, D, or E is pointless. It makes for a fun season, but....it's all fun and games until your team gets left out.

I started at UNC-Charlotte (3 semesters) and finished at UNC-Greensboro. (Charlotte only recently started a football program and will move into Conference USA next season after playing these last two years as a FCS independent. Greensboro does not have a football program.)

In North Carolina, you choose rooting interests as you're exiting the womb. You have to fill out a form prior to leaving the hospital that first time. College attending decisions come much later.

I would have loved to have my time again and go to a good engineering school that also was good at sports. Somewhere like Stanford or Cal. A mate of my brother's went to Stanford on a water polo scholarship and my brother was offered a scholarship to University of Hawaii for water polo but turned it down.

Maybe in another life I would have been roomates with Cyan at Cal....

Instead I went to The University of Adelaide because it was close to home (no accomodation costs) and all Australian universities are a much of a muchness.

Draxal

The ratings do matter, however I don't think this is a powerplay by the Big 10, the difference in payouts between the Cotton and Orange Bowl .... is huge. This was probably a powerplay by the Sec, and schools doing gold old fashioned lobbying. Rutgers is playing NC in Detroit, due to the fact that Mark Fields is a Rutgers alum.

Draxal

Me! Ohio State class of 2009

And for the record, I don't think ANY of this is fair; not everyone has an equal shot at the championship game (unless all your school cares about is a random bowl game). Let's say Alabama, Oregon, FSU, Ohio State and Baylor all go undefeated (and for all intents and purposes, lets say that Baylor has a CC game)

4 spots. 5 teams. Who gets in? And everyone makes their case.

In the end, it's all subjective and it's going to be unfair for someone at some point because the criteria to play for the national title is not 100% objective. The system is flawed from the very beginning. And until this changes, arguing about why subjective factor A is more relevant than subjective factor B, C, D, or E is pointless. It makes for a fun season, but....it's all fun and games until your team gets left out.

It would be very touch between Baylor and tOSU, probably Baylor this year but any other year it would tOSU. tOSU's ooc is very weak compared to their normal standards this year, but still stronger than Baylor's. Baylor's ooc is just weak in general.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.

I currently attend Columbus State University in Georgia. It is in-state, and the prestige of the college has very little affect on my major (nursing), so I went with the (much) cheaper opition. My dad was an alumni of The University of Tennessee though, and I've been watching the Volunteers since I was six.

Interestingly enough, graduate school for the field I want to specialize is similarly priced at Tennessee compared to the schools that offer the degree in Georgia. So it's a possibility that I will actually be a Tennessee alumni further down the road!

MIMIC

Banned
I don't really care either way. Still, you sure seem to be making up "the rules" as you go along, and they conveniently benefit Ohio State quite a bit.

Committee: We put EMPHASIS on championship games. It's probably in your best interest to play a championship game.

Alabama: OK
Oregon: OK
FSU: OK
Ohio State: OK
TCU/Baylor: No

*playoff rankings released*

You: I'm going to put emphasis on OTHER things.

Quick, anyone remember a time when there were 5 undefeated teams? 4? A few years ago, we had 3, and Auburn was left out of the 2-team system. How many times has that happened overall?

The 5 undefeated team quagmire is nothing more than a paradox, so unlikely to happen that it's not even worth considering. (Murphy's Law: it happens next year and naturally the team with the least pull gets left out.)

Draxal

Committee: We put EMPHASIS on championship games. It's probably in your best interest to play a championship game.

Alabama: OK
Oregon: OK
FSU: OK
Ohio State: OK
TCU/Baylor: No

*playoff rankings released*

You: I'm going to put emphasis on OTHER things.

Ayup, this wasn't a surprise to anybody on these boards, as most of us were beating on the conference champion thing for a while.

TCU had a stronger track record compared to Baylor because they had beaten KSU and Baylor hadn't. Baylor didn't have a chance to beat KSU yet and it might have lost.. Ohio State wasn't the conference champion of the Big Ten yet. This is all on Dodds (he pretty much blocked the Big 12 from expanding) as Okie was all about expanding.

Quick, anyone remember a time when there were 5 undefeated teams? 4? A few years ago, we had 3, and Auburn was left out of the 2-team system. How many times has that happened overall?

The 5 undefeated team quagmire is nothing more than a paradox, so unlikely to happen that it's not even worth considering. (Murphy's Law: it happens next year and naturally the team with the least pull gets left out.)

2009? I'm not sure if you really want to count TCU/Boise though :p

MIMIC

Banned

2009 had Alabama, Texas, Cincinnati and TCU all going undefeated in the regular season (and Boise State was undefeated, but ranked 6th behind Florida)

Can the Big 12 easily go to two divisions and a Conference Championship game within the next 2-3 years?

Dont they need an extra 2 schools at least?

Man, they would be livid at this Playoff Structure. The only chance they will get a look in as their conference currently stands is if they have an undefeated team.

Draxal

Can the Big 12 easily go to two divisions and a Conference Championship game within the next 2-3 years?

Man, they would be livid at this Playoff Structure. The only chance they will get a look in as their conference currently stands is if they have an undefeated team.

They need 2 teams, and they wanted to expand but Dodds blocked it. Of course since Texas is not Texas and not in the playoff chase, it doesn't really matter to Dodds at all. I still think it's insane that FSU got jumped as well, so I think the ACC should be just as livid.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member

5 undefeated teams is just a useful method for describing the issue, it's not supposed to necessarily be an example of something that is likely. We may not ever have 5 undefeated teams competing for 4 spots, but this very season we had 5 one loss teams competing for 3 spots, and that's only a stone's throw away. Pretty much all the things that happen in the hypothetical "5 undefeated teams" scenarios that people throw around actually happened yesterday.

It is an actual requirement that you need 12 teams to have a CCG. I believe it is also a requirement once you have 12 teams that the conference be split into divisions and the winners of each division face each other in the CCG, as I heard that the ACC may be trying to challenge that as they want to get rid of divisions and just have a CCG between the two best teams, but I don't know how reliable that information was.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom