• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football Playoff Thread | Setting A Daggerous Precedent

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Arkansas has the potential to be a very scary team next year.

are you not happy with 14-13?

Alabama_Nick_Saban_20131.jpg

I AM

hey, someone hook us up with some LHN vines/gifs/lolz. I'm hearing it was great.

I'll start:
WdmyXNR.jpg

3333668.jpg

<3 Dan Beebe
Santa Beebe &#8207;@DanBeebe 1h1 hour ago
SERIOUSLY HOW DO YOU GET BLOWN OUT OF A BOWL NAMED AFTER YOU

ITS NOT LIKE WEST VIRGINIA WOULD EVER LOSE THE BROKE METH-ADDLED HONKY BOWL

You mean like Aaron Rodgers (CAL alum)?

So far
SEC 3-0,
Pac12 3-0
ACC 3-4
B1G 2-2
Big 12 0-3

They had half an NFL roster around Rodgers and didn't win shit.

He also is a massive outlier in a group with Joe Ayoob, Nate Longshore, etc.

UCLA and Cal should be able to plug and play QBs to at least half the degree USC does. Ditto Florida and Texas.

cdyhybrid

Rodgers wasn't the hands-down-best-QB-on-Earth he is now, in college. He was good (obviously, he went in the first round), but he was just an upper-echelon Pac-12 QB at the time.

UCLA and Cal should be able to plug and play QBs to at least half the degree USC does. Ditto Florida and Texas.
They do. If you take Mark "Butt Fumble" Sanchez and divide his quality in half what do you get? An Ayoob? Longshore?

Inconsistent, Mediocre, and Bad teams don't attract as much talent as Consistently good team.

andycapps

Arkansas has the potential to be a very scary team next year.

I saw some sports writer mention on Twitter that they're a lot better than their 7-6 record indicates. That makes no sense to me. You're either good or you aren't. They have some awesome running backs there and a good OL. I could see them improving to an 8 or maybe 9 win season next year.

So to cap off this day of bowl games I pretty much missed entirely:

Is this the Big XII?
dumpster-fire_medium.jpg

Yes, they wrenched that dumpster away from the B1G. Word is that the B1G still has a lot of couches to burn though.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Yes, they wrenched that dumpster away from the B1G. Word is that the B1G still has a lot of couches to burn though.
That's why we brought in West Virginia. We were falling behind in the couch burning arena and absolutely COULD NOT allow a couch burning gap!

andycapps

That's why we brought in West Virginia. We were falling behind in the couch burning arena and absolutely COULD NOT allow a couch burning gap!

The good thing about WVU is they burn couches whether they win or lose!

I wonder if Jim Chaney (OC at Arky) will get a look at UGA for our OC position. Loves to run the ball, and Richt has said we're not looking at changing the offense at all. Guy they get will need to a be a pro-style guy.

ag-my001

I saw some sports writer mention on Twitter that they're a lot better than their 7-6 record indicates. That makes no sense to me. You're either good or you aren't. They have some awesome running backs there and a good OL. I could see them improving to an 8 or maybe 9 win season next year.

They were better than their 6-6 record. They should have crushed A&M (I an not looking forward to next year) and should have at least taken Alabama to overtime. If you could pick any 6-6 team to play, Arkansas would never be picked. Much too dangerous.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
I still think that 14-13 score was both "heavy downpour" and "2 buttfumbles in the form of botched Punt Returns". Maybe more the Buttfumbles.

http://nypost.com/2014/12/29/woody-can-deliver-ultimate-gift-a-championship-coach-in-saban/

Haven't seen one of these in forever. An article calling for the Jets to go after Saban :jnc.

The usual comments follow. 15-17 record is the worst record of all time, Saban jumps from job to job like changing underwear.

You know, logical shit.

I don't know what people expected with Tyrone Swoopes against a bonafide SEC defense. I think he starts next year, Texas can't just recruit QB talent.

andycapps

They were better than their 6-6 record. They should have crushed A&M (I an not looking forward to next year) and should have at least taken Alabama to overtime. If you could pick any 6-6 team to play, Arkansas would never be picked. Much too dangerous.

You can't say they were better than their 6-6 record, because a 6-6 record is still just that. You can say that they're a dangerous team, despite their record. I think they'll be improved some next year, but people are going a little too crazy about them right now and I'm just trying to pump the brakes some.

Saban looks exhausted at the Sugar Bowl presser.

It's because he doesn't have time for this shit.

Draxal

I still think that 14-13 score was both "heavy downpour" and "2 buttfumbles in the form of botched Punt Returns". Maybe more the Buttfumbles.

http://nypost.com/2014/12/29/woody-can-deliver-ultimate-gift-a-championship-coach-in-saban/

Haven't seen one of these in forever. An article calling for the Jets to go after Saban :jnc.

The usual comments follow. 15-17 record is the worst record of all time, Saban jumps from job to job like changing underwear.

You know, logical shit.

Saban will kill himself and the NY media after 2 minutes.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
A 6-6 team is a 6-6 team, but I don't think record is really indicative of how good a team is, especially once you start getting into the 5-7, 6-6, 7-5, 8-4 range. How many people wouldn't pick Arkansas over NIU, Boise, or Marshall? And even limiting it to Power 5 teams, I'd pick them over 8 or 9 win teams like Nebraska, Duke, and probably OU.

Draxal

A 6-6 team is a 6-6 team, but I don't think record is really indicative of how good a team is, especially once you start getting into the 5-7, 6-6, 7-5, 8-4 range. How many people wouldn't pick Arkansas over NIU, Boise, or Marshall? And even limiting it to Power 5 teams, I'd pick them over 8 or 9 win teams like Nebraska, Duke, and probably OU.

I wouldn't pick them over Nebraska, Abdullah's legit and they took that USC team down to the wire in a de facto home game for USC with an interim coach.

Arkansas's problem is that they get way too conservative on offense in the second half and tend to play not to lose rather than playing to win. Luckily we have an amazing defense so we can get away with that stuff sometimes, but it also means we lose a lot of games we shouldn't when our offense can't stay on the field long enough to give the defense a break.

jbug617

Banned
Harbaugh contract info.

@Johnubacon: BREAKING NEWS: Straight from UM AD Jim Hackett. Harbaugh's salary will be roughly $5M a year, plus incentives, same basic contract as 49ers.

@Johnubacon: Jim Harbaugh told Hackett he did NOT want to be the highest paid coach in CFB, or even the Big Ten. More concerned with pay for assistants.

andycapps

I'd definitely pick them over OU. Probably Duke as well, not sure about Nebraska.

Congrats to Michigan fans, looks like you actually got your guy and didn't have to pay the $8 mil rumored price.

Draxal

I'd definitely pick them over OU. Probably Duke as well, not sure about Nebraska.

Congrats to Michigan fans, looks like you actually got your guy and didn't have to pay the $8 mil rumored price.

The money didn't matter to Michigan, they could afford much more than 8 million.

My team plays this afternoon, but it's hard to be excited after the defense and quarterback imploded. Go my team...!(?)

WTF happened to Gholson, thought you guys would be much better this year with him back over Rees ... but wow.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
If Tyrone Swoopes plays a single additional down as QB at Texas, I'm going to turn on Charlie Strong soooo fast.

The money didn't matter to Michigan, they could afford much more than 8 million.

WTF happened to Gholson, thought you guys would be much better this year with him back over Rees ... but wow.

Three things: I think he was pretty rusty after not playing for a year and especially not taking hits which has contributed to his fumbles and set backs in making good reads. Second, he's short which takes a lot of the field away from him. TE receptions were way down this year. Third, I think defenses figured him out after three games and Kelly did a poor job of protecting him with the running game. It's also possible that Golson's just not very bright or teachable. He's always looked horrible running the read option. The backup came in and ran it really well.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
I don't understand this thinking. Teams can be better or worse than their records indicate. Or do you think that Boise State at 11-2 is better than Georgia at 9-3? (The committee didn't think so either). Would you not say that a team which starts out 0-6 but finishes 7-6 is a better team than one who started 8-0 but finished 8-5? Shit's relative, and for the purposes of discussing whether or not a team is "good" or not, you have to look beyond just their record.

Arkansas at 7-6 is a decent team and is much better than their 6-6 record entering their bowl game indicated. Sure, they had 6 losses, but they lost to: Auburn, Texas A&M (in OT), Alabama, Georgia, Mississippi State, and Missouri. Honestly, the only "bad" loss in there is the TAMU loss. To top that off, they shut out LSU and Mississippi in back-to-back weeks.

The surprising thing to me about Arkansas isn't their offense, which has a vastly overrated running game, but their defense. Look at their schedule. The last team to "pour it on" them was Georgia at the mid point in the season. After that they allowed 17 points to MSU, 0 points to LSU, 0 points to Mississippi, 21 points to Missouri and 7 points to Texas (whom they held to, what, 55 yards?!). I would be willing to bet that if you took Arkansas' first 7 games and played them again starting now that Arkansas' record would look vastly different than it currently does, and that's not something you can say about every team. The way Arkansas' defense has been playing they pick up at least 2 more wins (Auburn and TAMU).

I'm not saying that Arkansas is going to be in the hunt for a playoff spot any time soon, but the team that they currently have is actually playing pretty well at the moment.

andycapps

I don't understand this thinking. Teams can be better or worse than their records indicate. Or do you think that Boise State at 11-2 is better than Georgia at 9-3? (The committee didn't think so either). Would you not say that a team which starts out 0-6 but finishes 7-6 is a better team than one who started 8-0 but finished 8-5? Shit's relative, and for the purposes of discussing whether or not a team is "good" or not, you have to look beyond just their record.

Arkansas at 7-6 is a decent team and is much better than their 6-6 record entering their bowl game indicated. Sure, they had 6 losses, but they lost to: Auburn, Texas A&M (in OT), Alabama, Georgia, Mississippi State, and Missouri. Honestly, the only "bad" loss in there is the TAMU loss. To top that off, they shut out LSU and Mississippi in back-to-back weeks.

The surprising thing to me about Arkansas isn't their offense, which has a vastly overrated running game, but their defense. Look at their schedule. The last team to "pour it on" them was Georgia at the mid point in the season. After that they allowed 17 points to MSU, 0 points to LSU, 0 points to Mississippi, 21 points to Missouri and 7 points to Texas (whom they held to, what, 55 yards?!). I would be willing to bet that if you took Arkansas' first 7 games and played them again starting now that Arkansas' record would look vastly different than it currently does, and that's not something you can say about every team. The way Arkansas' defense has been playing they pick up at least 2 more wins (Auburn and TAMU).

I'm not saying that Arkansas is going to be in the hunt for a playoff spot any time soon, but the team that they currently have is actually playing pretty well at the moment.

I admitted I think that they could be an 8 or 9 win team next year so I'm acknowledging improvement on their team, I'm just saying that some people are going a little nuts on the hype. Not here, but some media types. Closing out the season how they did is awesome and definitely they way you want to go.

They're only losing 3 starters on offense, but 5 on the defense which as you say, has been the really surprising thing down the stretch.

Draxal

The nice thing about college football is there's always a new recruiting class coming in.

The problem (for them, muahahaha) is I don't know if Texas has any good QBs in theirs.

Texas will go hard after 5 years transfers and Jucos (not sure if their academics blocks out most jucos or not though).

Draxal

Eason flip to Michigan inc (no inside info or anything, just thinking Harbaugh will go after him).

bachikarn

If Tyrone Swoopes plays a single additional down as QB at Texas, I'm going to turn on Charlie Strong soooo fast.

Weren't you guys hyping him to be the next Vince Young? 5 star right? Why is it so hard for you to get a good QB? They grow on trees in Texas.

AntoneM

Weren't you guys hyping him to be the next Vince Young? 5 star right? Why is it so hard for you to get a good QB? They grow on trees in Texas.

It shouldn't be hard to find a good QB in Texas, just gotta ask Mack Brown who he thinks is the best DB recruit in the state. :jnc

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member

We'll never know what Ash could have been without the injuries, and Garrett Gilbert could have gone anywhere he wanted so that caught everybody by surprise. Don't know enough about what happened to Connor Wood or Connor Brewer to have much of an opinion but they both also had enough offers to go basically anywhere they wanted to go so they could have burned a lot of schools.

Case McCoy I think was the real recruiting miss of the group as there was likely a bit of the old boy network going on there, though he did have some other good offers (Auburn, Arizona, Texas A&M) and Texas took him in the same class as Wood.

Swoopes had a fantastic offer list and somehow made it to the Elite 11 finals, so there was definitely some potential there, but as I've mentioned before that 1-9 record as a high school senior is a huge red flag at the level of play he was facing. The best athlete on the field (as he was marketed as) should have been worth a .500 record almost all by himself in 2A football (or was it 1A?).

Overall, outside of Swoopes and maybe McCoy, their recruiting hasn't been full of a lot of reaches or big gambles over the last 4 or 5 years IMO. From an outsider's perspective it just seems like they got hit by a flurry of worst-case-scenarios in a row.

Jhriad

It shouldn't be hard to find a good QB in Texas, just gotta ask Mack Brown who he thinks is the best DB recruit in the state. :jnc

Legitimately got me to laugh with that one. UT should retain Mack to assess which Texas players to pass on so they know who to go after hard.

cdyhybrid

I don't see Saban ever going back to the NFL. For one thing, he's pretty old already, but he seems like the guy that wouldn't want to have to work with a GM and front office. Seems like he wants control over everything.

The nice thing about college football is there's always a new recruiting class coming in.

The problem (for them, muahahaha) is I don't know if Texas has any good QBs in theirs.

They have the #6 Pocket Passer per ESPN coming in this year. Rivals lists him as #3.

They brought in the #6 Dual Threat QB last year per ESPN. Rivals has him as #4.

Interestingly ESPN had Swoopes as the #35 athlete in his class, not as a QB. Rivals had him as the #13 Dual Threat QB.

Rivals has Swoopes Jr and So year HS stats:

2011 (Jr.) 170 2,267 13.3 29 209 110 52.6 1,394 15 7
2010 (So.) 107 1,314 12.3 27 161 88 54.7 1,330 13 2

Sub 55% completion rate is really, really bad. Especially because completion rate is one of the things that most directly translates between levels.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom